For All who play and design with the Skyrim System

Hi Peeps.

Postby Borden Ha'elven » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:04 pm

*De-lurks and runs round kipper slapping all in sight* >}}}}}}}}}}}}C>

You can Mod Skyrim??? this I gotta check out... :ugeek:
Site Admin

Re: Hi Peeps.

Postby Bannor Bloodfist » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Borden Ha'elven wrote:*De-lurks and runs round kipper slapping all in sight* >}}}}}}}}}}}}C>

You can Mod Skyrim??? this I gotta check out... :ugeek:

Yes, you can mod Skyrim, just like you could Oblivion, but they have released a new toolset for Skyrim. Of course, you can't get the toolset without purchasing the game as both game and toolset require an active/live steam account to work. And you must have Steam to get the various patches.

As for available mods, there are already hundreds, if not thousands of them out there. Many were ported over from Oblivion with whatever required changes had to be made to get them to work with Skyrim. The base data files changed a bit, the anim dummies and bones also changed for characters, but just about anything from Oblivion is a possible port over to Skyrim with various modifications required.

The game uses normal mapping for everything, so to get good textures and objects into game you may have to learn how to properly create normal maps.

It also uses DDS (the REAL DDS) type textures, the industry standard versions, not the bastardized ones from NWN.

The Construction Kit (hereafter referred to as CK) sucks though, it is buggy as all hell, slow to load, and can cause issues if you don't follow/read/view the various tutorials on how to actually mod the game that are listed here on this site, and elsewhere on the internet.

Anyway, the potential for creating mods is fairly large. Everything from replacing/adding to animation sequences, to creating your own buildings (using provided building objects) and creating new tilesets for interiors. I don't think you can create for exteriors other than pre-set buildings, however, it actually may be possible to create new buildings for outdoors as well. You CAN override existing outdoor terrain, but it is an overlay, and the underlying world still exists below/underneath it. I don't think they have provided a way to create NEW outdoor areas, not using the already created world map, but I may be wrong on that too. So far though, I have seen no mods attempting that.
CTP Team Lead

Re: Hi Peeps.

Postby Borden Ha'elven » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:01 am

Sounds like they don't want to much competition creative wise. :lol: I think I'll probably struggle with Skyrim anyway only having an geforce 8600. 1 below min spec... typical. :roll:
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion