The Harvest Moon Consortium

A NeverWinterNights Guild and Player community

This forum is for those using the Creation Toolset

Placeing a Working Ore Deposit in an Area

Postby Winterhawk99 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:35 am

We have a team building a small module with the CK engine. The Module itself has some dwarven mines within it. This Monday I had to figure out how to place a useable, working ore deposit in the game for the team. At first I over thought the process and came up with some interesting things that did not work. After about an hour and a half; I rolled back my chair and thought that if I were a developer for Bethesda using the CK I wouldn't want to mess around for hours making connections for a simple ore deposit. there had to be an easier way.

I went to several ore deposits in the main game and really studied each state of several ore deposits. I went back to the dungeon area and tinkered with it for about another hour and figured out that all you needed was two basic steps after importing the objects into the ck and you were done. It showed me that sometimes we over think ways of doing things when something simple is usually the answer. So I'm putting up this tutorial So everyone can benefit from the tinkering.

When you want to put an ore deposit into the game the first thing you do is find which kind and type of deposit you would like to use and put it in the area.

You see I have an ore deposit there with a pickaxe in case a PC doesn't have one.
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Re: Placeing a Working Ore Deposit in an Area

Postby Winterhawk99 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:45 am

So Now that we have an Ore deposit and a Pickaxe in the game; We need to have some way to let the game know that a PC needs to be able to use the pickaxe to mine ore from the deposit. The CK provides this with what is called a pickaxe marker. Between the ore and the marker all the scripts that are needed are already on the objects by default, so you do not need to write any scripts to make everything work. You do need to place a marker near the Ore.

First hit the M key so you can see the marker. Then place the marker near the ore so the head is facing the ore. On mine I like to put the farthest Orange plate into the ore about half way. I don't know if that matters however the Bethesda developers did do things that way so as you can see by the picture I did too.

As you can see I have the pickaxe mining markers circled in black for you
CTP team member

Postby Winterhawk99 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:10 am

Now comes the good stuff. We are almost finished. We want to link the marker with the ore. To do that you should only have to make 2 entries and your finished. Here is the first.

You want to double click on the ore to get the edit window.
In the Edit window find Activate parents. When you click on it there will be a white table with Activate Parent Ref and Delay on the top of the window.
The table should be empty. You want to double click on the empty table where another window will appear.

That window will say Choose Reference. You want to select the top button named Select Reference in Render Window.

Pull your cursor over the the Render window it will change to a red target redicule. When you put that redicul over the marker it will turn white. When it turns white double click on the marker.

You should now have what I have showing on the table: PickaxeMiningMarker 0.00

Now that you have that hit ok at the bottom of the Panel
CTP team member

Postby Winterhawk99 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:16 am

Now that that is finished there is just one more active step then you want to check to make sure everything is ok before you test it in game.

Now on the same panel, working again with the ore slide over to the tab Linked Ref. Here you do the same thing.

Double click on the Table
Hit the Select Reference in Render Window
Target the Marker
Make sure your table looks like the one in the picture
Hit OK

You can see the Object resource is still the Ore. and the table is basically the same except instead of Activate parents your in the tab Linked Ref.

CTP team member

Postby Winterhawk99 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:23 am

There is one more step you may want to do before you test. That is to check to make sure the marker is now linked to the ore. It should already be automatically linked when you did the last step. It's a good way to check to see if you may have done something wrong.

Go to the marker now and double click on it to get the edit window. Instead of going to Linked Ref now go to Linked From. As in the picture the Ore reference should already be inside the table. I circled these in blue so that you know you don't have to do anything just look to make sure the entry is already in the table when you opened it.

That's it you can test. after putting in the objects, it's really only two entries or buttons until your finished and should take you all of 5 minutes to complete. :)
CTP team member

Return to The Creation Toolset