Progress post 24 (2023): Started to finalize (2)
General public discussion and advertisement area for this project.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist, Black Rider

Black Rider
ctp: Yes
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Progress post 24 (2023): Started to finalize (2)

Post by Black Rider »

So once in a while an update:
1. The beginning of this process has already been posted in the last post, but now I’m all done! Every ground-texture is checked! By using these test-textures as ground texture, I found, that some of the tree models had a none fitting UVW. Though I avoided to use Cleanmodels (= CM) nearly most of the time (because of that repair-node and it messed up some of the tree houses), I used it just to remap the ground-textures: I linked all ground meshes to one base, did an export and let CM do the re-UVW. Then I reimported the result and relinked them to the correct base. That seemed to be the fasted way for me to get the right UVW on groups which ground-UVW-issues. Some final results:

Well, while doing this and testing the result IG, I noticed, that Brightblade has some walkmesh issues. Since I never hit the “right” spots before, I never took a closer look, because it was working IG. Now I found, that all walkmeshes had been rotated by a tiny bit! I could figure out the right angle to correct this, so I let - once more - CM do the job. This time, it was a pain, because each tile walkmesh needs a separate base. Brightbalde is 5x5… Well, CM fixed it!
BUT somehow CM magicaly came up with some position keys, which must have been somewhere in a tile, but never fired, because before CM, all was in place, but now the smoke emitter and the windows were placed way outside of the group! It took me some time to figure that out (and deleted these keys). And I found some more cosmetic issues (I have not touched Brightblade for a very long time), but now it seems all well.

2. Minimaps: As written before: I set some textures to 100% transparency, so they are not rendered, eg. the canopy leaves and small branches. And also the leaves, that cover the roots, since some caused ugly issues when the minimaps were rendered (via the Neverblender-minimap-tool - thanks again @Symmetric for this tool!). So, as you can see (below), the tree base shows the bark. Well, minimaps are for orientation and serves its purpose - IMO.
Even though I excluded some textures from rendering (by setting them to transparent), still some rendered maps showed artefacts or a strange kind of shading. I decided, that it would take more time to find out what causes these artefacts then to correct these flawed minimaps via hand-pixeling.
Another issue was, that not all of the big branches (eg. in the one-tile-features) end on a tile boarder, but reaches into a normal ground tile. Of course, the rendering process cut off those branches. I also adjusted these cut offs by hand, so they look OK as a minimap. So I have now ALL minimaps done! :-D

3. DEV-HAK: Since I made these transparent textures for the minimaps, I added these to a builders-DEV-HAK. This way alls those Vallenwood-tree-groups/-features are much better to place:
(Toolset with DEV-HAK)

4. Bridgewalk - over and under: This was a suggest by Bannor right from the beginning: A road passing under a bridgewalk - which makes perfectly sense. But there was no such group within the set. I now took the time to add it in. Well, as you know, you can’t walk a NWN1-tile in two height levels, when the walkable parts are crossing each other (so there is - in this case - only over or under). So I created two versions and added transitions to the non walkable part:
a) Bridge is walkable, but not the road right beneath it:
b) Road is walkable, but not the bridge-part right above it:

This will probably be my last addition unless a missing group (eg. Tanis or Cityhall) shows up, because it is found by a former DLA-member.

Well, I bet, that I’ll be stumbling upon some more little visual issues, but I’d say, that the major tile-work is done. Also the ITP need some renaming. The last big (I think) thing, which is left, are the pathnodes. :-(