Solace: DLA Preservation Project Volunteers Needed
General public discussion and advertisement area for this project.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist, Black Rider

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Solace: DLA Preservation Project Volunteers Needed

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

The team here needs the following sorts of folks to help us finish this project:

1) A texture person. This person needs to be able to generate / create NEW textures. In particular we need 3 very important textures:
A) one as a replacement for the standard rural grass. We need something that is closer to a fall / august colored grass, autumn colors as if the grass was changing colors just like trees normally do, rusty red, orange, yellows etc... but still be GRASS.
B) one as a texture to be utilized to generate bushes/ plants, etc, to help block non-walkable spaces on the ground. Don't necessarily have to generate the objects as I think we can accomplish that, but we need a texture to apply to those objects, this texture should be one that uses the alpha to allow viewing through the branches and leaves etc...
C) one that will take what we currently have as a stucco based wall texture that has a few beams on it, we need some variations of this texture to make the walls for the buildings a little bit different where necessary. This one should be fairly easy to copy/paste from the existing textures, but we don't have anyone with the skill set in Gimp or Photoshop to accomplish this.

There may be additional texture requests as we go forward, but those three are the absolute minimum that we need.

2) Anyone familiar with Gmax or preferably 3dsmax that can create buildings. This person may be taught by us if they already have experience with say creating creatures, statues, placeables etc... IE if they already have some experience creating objects for NWN currently.

3) Someone skilled at working with ITP files. I can do this, but each load that I can offset will allow me to further accomplish other tasks much more quickly. Editing .SET files would also be a plus, again this is something that I already do, but each task that can be offset, helps me to spend my time accomplishing things that other folks can not do.

4) We WILL need testers, but now is NOT the time to volunteer for that, we are not ready yet for in-game testing.

5) Anyone that wants to volunteer with general tileset creation / work etc, will most likely be accepted, and where possible, I can help you learn as you go, but this is something that we would have to discuss a bit I think. I can't spend all my time teaching if I can't get enough actual work accomplished. I do not want to turn folks away so please be understanding if I should have to say no to a volunteer... it won't be anything personal, just a limitation on time available.

6) A TRUE Dragon Lance Fan that is VERY familiar with the book series and most importantly with how these various buildings are described and to help us determine if we are missing any buildings explicitly mentioned in the book series. This is a very important position and we can really use someone here for that aspect, and possibly to help us write up some stuff to go along with the sets for release, maybe a user guide or base story line to explain things etc.

A major caveat of any volunteer is that they must agree to NOT PUBLICLY SHARE any of the stuff we are working on until the team votes to release the set. After that point in time, the set(s) will be fair game as there is no way to stop it anyway, but prior to that official release date, anyone on the team releasing copies of files will be hounded to the best ability of the various admins and members of the team here and elsewhere like the new vault etc.

To volunteer, please PM me here or via my gmail account of jplynch9, include you current/previous BIoware forum Nick and whatever nick you may be using on the current New Vault. If you have released content for NWN, that of course will help me determine what skillset you might have so please include a link to anything you may have released.

This thread is NOT LOCKED, but please either PM or contact via email. Those will guarantee that I get the message, I may miss a post here in this thread.
Edit: Added volunteer position 6, for a true Dragon Lance fan that can help us with story line and descriptions of buildings etc.
CTP Team Lead

Bannor Bloodfist

Re: Solace: DLA Preservation Project Volunteers Needed

Surely someone must be interested in joining the project? We don't bite (at least not often :mrgreen: ) around here.

Much of the possible work is really just time consuming stuff, so it may be considered boring, but truly, the fun IS there.

Seeing what is possible and helping to make something that is possible actually get created and released gives a real bonus to your ego, along with a great feeling of pride for helping the community on such an old game still gain something NEW and INTERESTING that is truly missing from the game assets that currently exist.

Please consider offering a bit of your time if you feel that you can actually help us out.

We are open to NEW ideas as well as old ones we may have forgotten along the way. Total download size is not that bad, yet, but may grow by leaps as we get things closer to being finished.
CTP Team Lead

cervantes
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by cervantes »

I would really like to help with this, but I am not really sure how much time I could dedicate to it.

I am normally very busy but I do get times where not a lot of work can be done which would be the times I might be able to help out here or there.

Black Rider
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Black Rider »

cervantes wrote:I would really like to help with this, but I am not really sure how much time I could dedicate to it.

I am normally very busy but I do get times where not a lot of work can be done which would be the times I might be able to help out here or there.
Thanks you for your offer! This is good news (IMO). I'll get an additional PM to Bannor (to be on the safe side).

Bannor Bloodfist

Cervantes, you should know absolutely that you are ALWAYS welcome here. I have been out of bounds sick, and still am as far as that goes, having really bad stomach trouble from the diabetes, I can't keep anything solid down at all right now. I just checked my mail for the first time in two weeks, and it looks like I may have deleted anything from anyone by deleting roughly 800 messages at one whack after manually deleting several hundred by topic, I just got fed up with it so selected all and hit delete. SO, if anyone sent me anything, I apologize, I missed it. Send me an email to j p l y n c h 9 a t g m a i l . c o m. and then I will get you some links to the files so you can dig in, and also attempt to get your account adjusted here on the site so you can see some of the work that has been done, most of which, lately, has been done by TheOneBlackRider and he has done some really amazing work. I had already contributed a huge amount in the past, but currently, my pc doesn't have the power, literally, to drive the video card I need to be able to edit in 3ds max right now.
CTP Team Lead