Barasume Miwa
This forum is for anyone to put their PC's stories down for other servers than Anchorome and Harvestmoon both long dead. Many may read them and get some inspiration for their own characters or for dming from their adventures.
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Re: Barasume Miwa

Post by Winterhawk99 »

The campaign was successful. Miwa had little wounds. It was a small clan to the north of the city that they absorbed. Miwa takes her armor off and dresses in her tent into a Gi for camp. She comes out and starts to brush down her horse, Wasabi.

All Onna-bugeisha camp in the center of camp with their lord to prevent ill-advised advances from the male samurai. If one is married the husband must stay at home often enough to guard their households and or land. Often enough it is the man that goes to war for his lord but in a few cases the female is the better fighter, and the lord will take her instead of her samurai husband. There are often running jokes about Onna-bugeisha who are married that go to war in their husbands’ steads. Most Onna-bugeisha at war remain unmarried so need a certain amount of protection when within the camps.

As Miwa is finishing up Daimyo Barasume comes out of his tent calling his officers. Now that the battles are over, he will take them to dinner and discuss all manner of business from the campaign to individual things he needs to talk to them about the lands they lord over for him or advise on different affairs. As they walk past Miwa, he motions with his hand for her to come with him. She puts back her brush and goes to change but he insists that she comes as she is.

She looks down at herself, her Gi is thoroughly dirty and she herself is a mess of tangled hair and bandages. She smells of horse sweat, clove oil, blood, and dirt. She wonders if she had done something wrong. She falls in behind the entourage taking her kaiken off from the string around her neck and places it in the belt of her gi.

They go to one of the closest Tea houses. A refined place much like an inn. There they begin a nine-course meal along with different teas and alcohols to drink. Kyo has Miwa sit next to him. She is slightly on edge knowing she is not supposed to be privy to the conversations of the officers.

After the first course a bunch of geisha come in and sit beside them. One sits down between Miwa and Daimyo Barasume. Another sits on the other side between her and Kyo’s wu-jen advisor Ogano Myasake. As they begin the second course the geisha seems to be trying to pay attention to her more than Ogano.

“Do you have a Yobina name my lady Onna-bugeisha?”

Miwa stunned just blinks and looks at her. Kyo claps his hands for everyone to pay attention. “Our little wolverine doesn’t have a formal samurai name my friends. What shall we name her?”

Big Fish the head of Kyo’s infantry blurts out, “Husband of the dragon!” His apprentice and he start to laugh egging on others.

Miwa now upset and stunned comments, “That’s not fair, Big Fish. Ryuu protects me at home. He’s a loving husband and twice the man you are.”

The table erupts in laugher again. Big fFsh looks at Little Fish, his apprentice. Little Fish comments, “I don’t think so Little wolverine. My master is ummm quite the man.”

“I don’t need to know what you two do in your tent at night.”

Big fish smiles, “How would you know what we are doing in our tent.”

Miwa rolls her eyes, “I can hear the grunting across the camp in my tent.”

Again, the entourage erupts in laughter. Big fish and Little Fish start a conversation all on their own.

Big Fish starts, “I think she’s spying on us my friend.”

“She needs pointers.”

“Maybe or maybe, she’s looking for a sandwich.”

“We would make her a tasty sandwich.”

Miwa’s face turns red. “I’m married”

When samurai are on campaign, they know that there will be less of them every battle. They know some will die. That it will be their last day. It’s the one place they can let loose the strict regime of custom and etiquette. When samurai go to war they all know they are a unique family. They are brothers and sisters to one another and may treat each other not as lords and vassals but as companions and friends.

Lord Barasume laughing claps his hands again. “Ok the fun is over. Let’s get some seriousness to us. What shall we call our new commander of a squad of cavalry.”

Miwa’s head snaps over and her eyes lock on Kyo’s. “That’s right Little Wolverine. You have exemplified yourself over these years in war to be given a command. I am giving you a mixed squad of Onna-bugeisha. 10 warriors to command. They will stay on your lands when training. You have plenty of acreage to set up a training ground. You will have to feed and house them during the training season, and they will patrol your lands with you and when you are indisposed at the village.”

Miwa’s mouth drops open. “Daimyo? I am only seventeen?”

“You’ll work it out with the older women, I’m sure. You’ll still better than all of them on horse. I need you to train them up to your state of excellence. Now seriously what will be Miwa’s Yobina name?

Several serious names are dropped by her companions. Prowler comes up along with Piety, Truth, and Trustworthy. Miwa blinks again, “These all sound like Go names, war names.”

Ogano carefully studies her, “Mayonaka Hana.” Miwa is a late bloomer. Look at her now. Her shape is finally starting to change. Her hips, legs other parts are just starting to show the female form. Midnight flower should be her name for she will mature at midnight not just her body her spirit too.”

Big Fish and Little Fish both do a wolf whistle making Miwa blush once again. Making everyone else clap and wolf-whistle. The Geisha beside her wraps her arm around Miwa’s bicep. Miwa blushes hard at all the attention while also being completely confused by the woman’s arm wrapping around hers.

Kyo stands, “For this occasion I have paid the lady of the house to provide entertainment for our new commander. For her to command women she must know women. So, the girl beside you Mayonaka is for you.” He sees Miwa is about to protest before she can get a word out. He continues. “Quiet.” He holds his hand out to his counsellor, who produces a set of documents.

“Last year Mayonaka and her husband had a small problem. Shortly after I made Ryuu sign some documents. Miwa, you now have full rights and privilege to be with another woman whenever and wherever you want. Here are your papers as a married woman. What is good for the goose is good for the gander so to speak.

I paid good coin to have you entertained. I fully expect you to return to us fully bathed and fully relaxed. We have an understanding, Little Wolverine?”

Miwa looks back at the girl who is about her own age then back to her Daimyo. “I……. I”

“You don’t know until you have experienced it. Now go.”

Miwa takes the papers, stands and bows to him. He recognized her.

As Miwa and the girl leave to go upstairs, Big Fish makes a rude comment about cherries. The table again erupts in laughter.

Miwa wakes up and almost falls out of her hammock down into a whole flock of raptors. She feels a certain sense of relief and peace. Hopefully this dawn will bring good fortune.
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa goes through several routines after reflecting on her dream. She breathes a sigh of relief. The few good years she has lived all her life she knows are coming to her in sleep. But what lessons has she learned from the bad years. What will she learn from the good ones. She has a sense of it, but it has not yet fully dawned on her. Like the vision of a massive jigsaw puzzle it floats within her mind.

Giving up for now she turns to her journal. It’s midday and the sun is baking the jungle in heat. The water from the morning rain evaporates adding a moist-laden, dispiriting sentiment to the oven she sits in. She sweats up a storm in her armor which must be always worn here except for bathing.

She writes.

Kin. What can I write about this man from the mainland that tells me he has won my hand from my shogun. We had a second meeting just before I left for training. I did not tell him where I would be but many already know now where I train. It is a necessary action to prevent further depravations against Sniffles. Every chance I get I bring people here to let them know he is a peaceful creature and there is no need to kill him. In this way the most I may need to contend with is knights seeking glory for its own sake like Roland, Estelle, and Sika.

So Drasta told me to the best of her knowledge everything Kin said at the last meeting was true as far as her abilities in reading people could tell.

There are so many questions that remain unanswered. The first and foremost is: Where is Shogun Barasume and why is he otherwise indisposed? Even before I used my first crystal there was the dream where Kyo tried to come to me though a withering portal. It closed before he could come through. This means something. For me it meant that somehow, someway he was in trouble and wanted to come to me. Then using the crystal, he told me himself he was on his way. Then things become too interesting.

Instead of the Shogun coming, Kin and his bodyguard came. He gave me two different stories. The first was a raid, the second of demons. Should I trust someone that changes the story? Of course not. He is not samurai in any way shape or form yet when I broke the second crystal and asked. An advisor said that Kin is Shogun Barasume’s vassal just as I am. The attitude of the advisor was scathing of Kin. You could feel the emotion of it in the words.

Is it like Kin said. Is it because he is Gaijin (an outsider) of the mainland peninsula? I really do not care whether one is Gaijin or not. I know many do, especially in government. I do care that this Kin is in so high a position and is not samurai. He will never truly understand samurai society until he becomes one, and it is doubtful at his age.

Another fact about the shogun being missing for the now is why is not Kin back home using every resource of his disposal to find out what is going on with Shogun Kyo, consequently finding and defending him. This bodes ill of Kin’s mindset that he would rather be here with me than helping the clan shore up whatever folly is going on there. Off course there is something I may not know. He may be acting on the shogun’s wishes. It still on the surface, does not bode well.

The second big question is Why would Shogun Barasume agree to give my hand in marriage to Kin-Ak-Cho? Though my father’s clan was small, we come from a long heritage and linage of samurai. To be given to a Gaijin would mostly be unheard of for both my linage and my status as Onna-bugeisha. Yes, I am out of favor and put to quest because I disobeyed my uncle. In truth I had hoped that he would let me join Ryuu in the afterlife. That did not happen. He saw through it all. I was so shocked and depressed at the time not only because of the battle but because of Haruki that I thought it best when Barasume told me to marry another I said no. I could not bear losing so much so close together. Instead of commanding me to end myself he sent me on this quest.

Only he and I were there in the graveyard. A report would have been sent explaining my absence, but I do not know exactly what he wrote in the report. Did he stick to the facts or did he leave things out for his own reasons. I have been away now almost 5 years. It will be 5 years come the month of Eleasis (Highsun)

I had no contact with the clan or Shogun Barasume until I sent two letters from Thain to him. One to ask permission for Seiji to be my apprentice and the other to seek his council on why my path has become stagnated at the very end of my quest. I have had no other contact.

So, I had a dream and the used my first crystal the same day. Barasume told me he was coming. The portal opens soon after; on the same day and Kin walks through already knowing much about me. Someone who has been gone 5 years saying he is my husband to be. Then in the second meeting a day later he tells me and my friends his merchant ships are already on their way.

Does this not seem so quick. Too quick? It is in the least worrisome.

Would my Shogun give me to a man that does not follow tradition and protocol? Kin is not samurai. That is very obvious and even though he is a man he is still a rank lower than I in status. He never seems to bow to me or go over even basic customs and honorifics when we have met. Which begs the question just how long has Kin and his father been in Kozakura?

Kin told me that for his land and troops, Shogun Barasume gave him his pick of women in the clan to become his wife. Here’s the thing. When I had left Daimyo Barasume was already well on his way to becoming a shogun. Why would he need troops? Unless he lost battles since I have been gone. Ryuu often helped him strategize but Kyo is a fair strategist himself. This doesn’t stand right with me either.

I do know that the shoguns were pitting clan Cato against clan Barasume. It was to weaken both sides and keep the two daimyos in their place. Ever the tangled mess in shoguns courts. That’s where the real politics are wielded, schemed, and manipulated. It is where the real power of Kozakura lies. The emperor is there but it is the shoguns that matter. Not like in the land of Wa where the emperor wields the supreme power, and the Shoguns are but vassals under his command.

It could be that Kyo lost several battles and needed Kin and his father. What Kin may be saying could be true, but it could also be a lie. I simply don’t know any of the facts as of now. Just the word of Kin.

Kyo knows I need a husband that I can look up too. My father instilled in me things. Things that I cannot even comprehend. When Barasume gave my hand to Ryuu, I believe he did it so that I had someone so much better than myself to be with. To learn from. And eventually I did learn. Still father once said to me that What he put into me would never leave. No matter how hard I tried I would never get rid of his influences. Ryuu along with many others taught me differently still there remains that my father wanted me to be his legacy. He did things to my head I will never quite understand. Like the way I am sometimes ruthless. I don’t glorify in this. I am ashamed of it when reflecting and meditating.

When the fires of my heart are turned on. When my battle senses are at their highest. I am a ruthless woman with no pity. Maybe that’s what I must overcome to finally be one with my sword. Kindness Miwa. Kindness is a pillar of bushido. Yet I fail so often in this. Now Kin says my lord has given my hand to him. Is this Kin telling the truth? Is he a kind man much like Ryuu was? Or is it something else if Kin is right and Kyo gave me to him? Something else I need in a husband.

The final big question is of all people Kin would choose me for his wife? How did he even find out about me? Shogun Barasume may have never spoken to his advisors about why I am questing in the west but my lands were taken from me. They would surely smell that I was somehow in disfavor or have dishonored myself in some way.

There are so many younger prettier girls than I am. I am most likely the ugliest of both my profession and status. All the beatings and battles have left my body…. I am broken. Strong, flexible but broken sometimes in ways far deeper than flesh wounds. And now I am getting older. I may have ten years left to have children. I’ll be 27 when I complete my quest. It doesn’t make sense really to pick a woman such as I. He could have any samurai’s daughter of 16 years or above, Any single Onna-bugeisha. If Kyo is a Shogun now he should have up to 200 Onna-bugeisha’s in the lands he controls. Roughly a ¼ unmarried if the average holds true. It doesn’t make sense to me.

Another reason for not wanting me is that if I do not complete my quest and fail the shoguns test on the appointed day my life is forfeit. Kin knows this now. I told him. He wasn’t even phased. It still begs to reason why pick a wife with a threat over her head?

Did Kyo see through my scheme to start a business in Thain. That in the end I looked to the goal of staying here. Becoming an Envoy to the clan, perhaps eventually an Ambassador of Kozakura to the entire Island of Thain? Did he give me to Kin because he is a businessman and can help me with this business if that is what he did.

Kin knows my war name. How much else does he know about me? If he knew everything, my darkest secrets, he would most likely cringe from me. The family shame. Up front my family holds its honor in great standing. Underneath there are secrets dark secrets. Shameful secrets that I didn’t even know about until my last days in Kozakura. If they ever got out my family would live in shame forever. We would be stripped of land and home to become mere peasants or even eta. Many Samurai family have much the same. Secrets they share with no one to maintain their status in the hierarchy.

I cannot trust Kin even if he is being completely honest with me. I must hear from Shogun Barasume himself to make sure I do not make a fatal mistake in trusting Kin. At least about marriage. If Kin’s ships are coming, then I must at least get the go ahead from the Sandburrow mayor and council to proceed with setting up a business. As more of my people come to trade then I will be needed to represent them unless the clan sends another.

As far as Kin-Ak-Cho. I will try to be affordable to him as a business partner until whatever the Shogun is dealing with is complete and he has me come there or he comes here to explain to me his wishes himself. I can’t take chances with this kind of thing. There are political ramifications back home. There certainly will be if I am to marry a Gaijin. There will be more if I were to marry him and find out Shogun Barasume did not give my hand to him.

It's all I can do for now. The dream still haunts me. 8 million please keep my lord safe from harm. His wisdom is needed in our lands.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

"Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day when one's body and mind are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears, and swords. Being carried away by surging waves. Being thrown into the midst of a great fire. Being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake. Falling from thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease, or committing seppuku at the death of one's master. And every day without fail, one should consider himself as dead."

Miwa changes her routine. She sits in front of the Archeaox most the day meditating on various subjects. Some traditional like tactics and strategy at other times more austere subjects. Something in the back of her head feels wrong as if someone is watching her. She occasionally breaks her meditation to look at her surroundings carefully scanning the area, but she sees nothing that would even consider focusing on her besides the dragon, which occasionally focuses on her tiny form sitting in front of it.

The cart showed up today. She offloads the elk carcass struggles it over to Sniffles then sits down again watching him snap the large animal up in his maw. Miwa goes back to meditating the rest of the day. When the sun hits the horizon, she is thoroughly mentally drained. She climbs up to her nest in the trees and sleeps.

Miwa sits eating dinner with her new family on day 2 of her stay there in this 10-day week. The difference in the way her adopted aunt and uncle eat and how she eats is vastly different. Yori and Kami eat their meal very quickly so that they may go to the next task of the day sated but not completely full. Miwa on the other hand eats very slowly. She picks up small deliberate proportions with her chopsticks pausing to savor each bite. As the two elders watch Miwa finish her meal there is a knock at the door.

Yori opens the door to find Ryuu waiting at the threshold. Kame stands up, “I am tired of this! Every weekend we have Miwa our lord Ryuu comes to our door with nothing to bear! Yori out of my way!”

Yori steps aside letting Kame confront her lord at the doorstep. “You have come almost like clockwork in the evening to spend time with our adopted daughter. Yet, you bring nothing with you as if she is yours to take whenever you want. I will have it no more! Our daughter is a commander in our lord Daimyo’s cavalry and should be respected. You are denied entry into our home until you come back with something worthy of our daughter’s attention and plans to take her out for a good time. AND I DON’T MEAN THAT KIND OF GOOD TIME! Lord or not you will treat her as a woman of merit! Now go!”

Ryuu stunned takes a moment to gather himself. When he does, he retorts. “Council member Tanaka, you do realize she is my wife?”

“All the more reason to come back with flowers and a plan! Now go or the council will send a letter to Daimyo Barasume!”

Ryuu mutters under his breath does and about face and leaves. Kame slams the door after him. Miwa has stopped eating and has her head down looking at her food. “I am trying to get pregnant, Auntie.”

“All the more reason for your husband to treat you like a wife and not a slave, Miwa.”

“It’s different with nobles than it is with peasants.”

“Oh Miwa, you have so much to learn. I doubt we have the time, but Yori and I will do our best.”

A half hour later Ryuu comes back with a present and assures both Yori and Kame that he has dinner reservations at the local tea house. The couple let Miwa go out on a date with her husband.

The next day Miwa is working in the family garden when Kame comes to her. “Miwa could you go to the store and pick up a few things? I have a list.”

Miwa looks up, “Yes, Auntie I will.” Kame gives her the list a whole bunch of coin. She looks it all over. There are over twenty items on it and some of the things are very expensive. Her mind starts counting and wondering how the two could afford such extravagance that even she would not buy for her own household. Still, she washes up and heads to the local general store.

There she meets the store owner and gives him the list. While he’s looking it over, he comments, “Lady Barasume. I don’t believe you’ve ever come into my store. It is a grand pleasure to see you. Your husband is an excellent caretaker of the village’s lands, and you the strong hand that guides him. Call me Orochi. You are of course welcome to anything in my humble store.”

Miwa nods, “I just need what is on the list do you have it all, Orochi?”

“Of course, of course. You know. I also special-order things from Renkyu. I would even be able to get an 11-layer kimono for ceremonial purposes. They are quite pretty. Would enhance your figure a great deal.”

“I will take that into consideration. She stares at him.”

“Oh yes, I have to go into the back for most of these things.” He leaves. Miwa looks around the store. Most of it is average affair. She figures he must keep most of the expensive or ordered things in the back among the stockpiles and inventory. When he comes back, he himself carefully sets the items in a large basket for her.”

She counts them not paying too much attention. Then says, “How much coin Orochi.”

“Oh, madam I could not sell you these items when you tirelessly patrol the lands with your sisters keeping the evils of the land at bay. You work so tirelessly Lady Barasume. It would be a sin to charge you on your first visit. I would hope that my generosity would have you become a regular customer in fact.”

Miwa looks down at the items. “Are you sure. Some of these are expensive.”

“Nothing is too expensive to our lord and lady of the village.”

“Thank you.” Miwa turns around and almost skips out of the store. The store owner watches her leave. He breaths deeply the scent of the air around him in satisfaction, smiling. Miwa walks across town with a smile on her face; that is until she sees Kame waiting at the door of their home. She has her left arm across her chest resting her other elbow on it. Her hand is clasping her forehead and she is shaking her head.

Miwa stops mystified at the gesture at first. She looks at the basket of goods and back to Kame. She suddenly turns red-faced and angry then in the next moment completely passive with no expression on her face. She drops the goods on the ground and does an about face marching back to the store.

Along the way a horse and rider appear. The rider a woman of about 16 years carrying a Yumi in a leather holster and a naginata, “Trouble Little Wolverine?”

“Get my husband, Silkworm. Tell him to meet me at the general store of the village.”

“The woman bows and takes off to the northeast.”

As she walks back into the store the merchant Orochi looks at her concerned and frightened, “Books! Where are your books?”

“I assure you, Lady Barasume, my books are all in………”

“BOOKS!” Miwa looks up at him with a look that sends shivers straight up his spine. He retreats to the back. She follows pulling the peace string on her Kaiken.

Orochi comes to a workbench with a large cabinet just above it. The cabinet has several locks on it. He fumbles with the keys, taking a lot of time to open them, his hands shaking so badly. When he opens the last one Miwa shoves him out of the way and takes all the books herself. “Come with me.”

They come back to the main counter. Several villagers peek into the windows. She stares at them, and they scatter like mantic squirrels. “Sit down right there where I can keep my eye on you.”

He obediently complies. She begins the process of going over each and every account both individual and family. While she is doing that her husband walks into the shop. She stops and bows to him. “Problem, Midnight Bloom?”

“Nothing I cannot handle, Gallant, but could use some help in sorting.”

Orochi sees and opportunity. He stands and bows. “Lord Barasume. I assure you my records are in good order and are exacting. Your savage hellion of a wife barged in here and accosted a poor shop owner with no regard for order or peace of mind claiming I did something so nefarious I can't even speak of her words!”

Miwa turns her eyes to him, and he immediately stops talking. Ryuu looks him over. “You might want to dive headfirst into a support beam a few times before you accuse my wife of accosting you. You have no idea how physically strong she is.”

Miwa goes back to number crunching. “I see something but I’m not seeing it. There seems to be upcharges on certain families and people. Most are around 30% and a few 50%. The question is why?”

Ryuu digs into the books and helps her. Orochi takes a step to the door. As soon as he does Miwa spots the movement, “Sit! Or else!”

The merchant again immediately complies his hands shaking with an adrenaline surge. Ryuu turns one of the books to show Miwa. This one isn’t a ledge my dear. It looks like, hmmm, gossip?”

Miwa starts to read it still in Ryuu’s hands. Her eyes again turn to Orochi. “Looks like blackmail to me, my husband.”

Miwa walks over to the candles and takes one. She lights it against one of the oil lamps and walks back to the counter where she is investigating the books. She takes the book from Ryuu’s hands and puts the candle under it. She makes sure most of the pages are burned before walking over to the door and tossing it out of the shop then she walks back.

After she’s done, she looks up at Ryuu. “Have you seen enough? I have.”

“Please do not cut anything off. He needs to rectify what he did.”

“He will have to pay back all the upcharges and come to us when he wants to set rates for inflation. If he cannot pay, he would have to work the fields for the peasants until he acquired a sum equaling 2x what the upcharges are for.”

Orochi meekly asks, “Whenever was up charging illegal?”

Miwa quickly looks over to him. “When you use up charging to blackmail peasant families over their secrets and minor wrongdoings. Yes, they did wrong in some cases, but you took advantage. Therefore, I will judge you here and now. The evidence is plain. Because their misdeeds were used by another for profit they will be cleared until such time as We the samurai of these lands or the village council catches them at it.”

She turns back to Ryuu. “So, he pays these families double the up charges. If he cannot pay, he works the fields five days a week with his shop closed until he pays off his debt to the families he has stolen from. Furthermore, he must come to us to reprice any goods and get permission to do so, and it must be across the board to all that enter his shop.”

Ryuu looks grim. “It is a hard punishment wife, but I think mostly fair. I will agree.”

“I will get one of the girls of the squad to do a full accounting making sure the numbers agree and how much he owes to each family.”

Ryuu nods. Miwa turns to Orochi, “You are so judged Orochi. If you try to run from the village, I’ll cut your feet off.”

Orochi gets on his knees once a again and puts his forehead to the floor. “I will pay Lady Barasume. I will pay for my family's honor.”

Her and Ryuu walk out of the shop. Ryuu mounts his horse and makes his way home. Miwa comes back to Yori and Kame’s house. Kame hugs her when she gets to the door.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

One famous saying from a samurai that you might find interesting is "The way of the Samurai is in desperateness. Ten men or more cannot kill such a man." This saying embodies the spirit of the samurai warrior and their unwavering commitment to their code of honor, known as Bushido.
In ancient Japan, samurai were regarded as the elite warriors who served as protectors of their lords and the country. They were expected to live by a strict code of conduct, which emphasized honor, loyalty, and courage. To be a samurai was to dedicate one's life to the art of warfare and the pursuit of excellence in all aspects of life.
The saying, "The way of the Samurai is in desperateness. Ten men or more cannot kill such a man," speaks to the samurai's mentality of absolute determination and unwavering courage. It suggests that a true samurai will fight to the death, regardless of the odds, and will not back down even in the face of overwhelming opposition.
Furthermore, this saying implies that a samurai's strength does not lie solely in their physical abilities, but rather in their mindset and their willingness to sacrifice themselves for a greater cause. The samurai way is not just about winning battles, but also about upholding one's honor and fulfilling one's duty.

Miwa had met Kin in the grove. She showed him her dragon then went back. Kin at least was polite to start with. Miwa tried to use a different tactic to get answers from him. She met him alone. She knew it was a risk, but she had to do it. All other times she met him she was with her friends there to protect her from any potential harm mental or physical. Even though she could probably cut Kin down with just a flick of her wrist there were procedures to uphold, honorifics to be said, and traditions which must be kept.

She had hoped Kin had been born in Kozakura he was not. His father owns vast territory, a merchant fleet and many soldiers in the country of Koryo (forgotten realms version of Korea). It is a cold and unforgiving mountainous land run by three clans Silla, Koryoan, and the Saishu clan.

The Koryoans seemed to be always holding off and repelling Kozakuran invaders but had launched at least one attempted invasion of Kozakura themselves under the king of Silla. This long history of conflict led them to despise the Kozakuran people, their culture, and even their language. Trade with Kozakura was banned, and its currency was not accepted; nevertheless, criminals maintained an illicit trade with that land. Tu Pe's floating city was thought to be the center of this, but Kozakurans were sighted there only very rarely. Around 1357 DR, the two peoples were at war.

This did not sit well with Miwa either. Miwa had never been in the grand scope of wars and invasions across the waters. She normally did not even care. Her and husband’s territories were in the far south of the main island far from the wars against Wa and Koryo. The culture there was more reserved toward outsiders, and they were embroiled in their own clan wars for domination of the city of Renkyu. Still, what would happen if she married Kin. He is Koryoan.

During their meeting Kin mentioned that after they marry, she would be taken to Koryo. She would be put up with his other wives and concubines and he would use her dragon as a show of force. She did not like that either. The more information he gave her the more she became leery of what was going to happen if everything he said was true. So, she made gave him a test.

He said his wu-jen could make her last sending crystal more powerful so she could speak to her shogun with more than 25 words. She gave it to him. If he uses it himself to try to do harm to Kyo. If he doesn’t bring it back augmented, she will know he means to betray her Shogun. The crystal to her knowledge cannot locate the shogun himself and when she tried to use the 2nd crystal the path was rerouted to an advisor. So, she knows the Kyo is cloaked from detection somehow. She now must wait to see if her plan bears fruit.

The last thing Kin did was try to break tradition and protocol again and tried to sleep with Miwa. She was incensed. As a widow she can sleep with anyone she wants but he also he says he is to be her next husband. She should not have even seen him until her shogun told her she was to marry again.

Miwa takes all this in, hoping her plan will work without having her shogun traced back. She has trouble sleeping and when does often it is broken. She wakes up the stress apparent in her face as she asks herself if she made the right strategic decision or not. Miwa knew she was a wonderful tactician but that takes brains. Strategy on the other hand she was bad at. That takes understanding, knowing the big picture. A wisdom so to speak that she had never acquired. She knew she was bad at it. And bad at courtly intrigue. Finally, she sleeps more than an hour and when she does the nightmare begins.

Miwa feels herself in a new body. That of a male guard in front of the doors of the shogun's bedroom at a grand hunting lodge at the foot of the mountains. She watches the guards outside to whom she can clearly see the space of the lodge being open and the windows very large. The guards outside are quietly talking around several fires in the yard near the house.

At the edge of the woods 50 yards out a low fog begins to line the foot of the trees. She watches as the guard begin to search it out some fidgeting with their weapons. What catches both their and Miwa’s eyes; is the fog in certain spots begins to take human form.

Smoke demons, Enenra, stepped out of the campfires and begin to attack the guards outside. The battle begins against Shogun Barasume’s troops. Miwa holds her position readying herself with her naginata and other weapons the pole arm to be throw away when quarters become too tight. She watches the battle outside.

The forms at the edge of the woods solidify and she sees them clearly now they are all garbed in black leathers head to toe wearing demon masks. She knows them well a ruthless clan of ninja based in the city of Renkyu that no one yet has seemed to be able to displace. Barasume’s men and women are well trained, but they are out maned and out flanked by both demons and ninja at 20 to 1 odds. Though the samurai kill many of both in the yard and to the doorstep the assault moves into the lodge. Fog demons now emerge from the fire heaths and join the fight. Miwa goes to the top of the stairs determined to hold them off there. The other guard at the door moves to the middle to defend it.

Miwa holding the choke point at the stairs end knocks out several Ninja and a smoke demon trying to flank her from the hallway of the second floor but is beaten back by sheer numbers to the other guard. She waves her Naginata wildly in defense while the other opens the door and they retreat into the room; Miwa jamming her pole arm into a ninjas chest and releasing it as the door closes. Before it does, she sees one ninja avoiding the battle walking with steady purpose seeking them out.

Miwa does not draw her katana instead she draws her wakizashi and a brutal weapon called a skull crusher. It is a weapon that looks like a shortened Jitte. The weapon can pierce the armor of the strongest kabuto and go completely through the brain of an enemy while pieces of skull are pulled along with the blade causing massive damage to the brain. An instant kill. Now with wakizashi and Kabutowari she waits. Along with the last of Kyo’s personal guard.

The Ninja and demons rush in. The battle ensues. Miwa fights with all her heart as ash and bodies hit the floor in the fight. The battle only lasts a few minutes. Shotgun Barasume joins them receiving nasty gashes across his stomach and neck. The floor is now littered with over a dozen samurai bodies along with fifteen or more ninja and piles of ash that use to be demons. Miwa has taken a kusarigama wound to the face and a ninja to wound to her should making her one of her arms useless she falls to the floor as another ninja had stabs her through the liver. She in turn has turned his groin into a bloody mess devoid of anything useful. The ninja falls with her/him.

As she lay dying the leader. The one she saw walking around the fighting seeking them out enters with more ninja. Barasume is poised in an iaito defensive stance in no armor waiting for the attack to come. Only half a dozen guard remain standing all wounded but ready with him for their final stand. Blood trickles from the wounds on his neck and stomach. He smiles in defiance of the ninja and his men.

The red masked ninja again spread out around the room stepping around the bodies of both samurai and their comrades. When this happens a wu-jen woman. One Miwa has never seen before jumps out from behind Kyo. There is a gust of wind, a deafening wooshing sound. The shogun and all his personal guard disappear from the room. The Ninja leader turns and walks out, knowing he has been defeated by magic for now. He must wait until the shogun shows himself again. Miwa feels the beating of her heart slowing. She feels loses focus and the ability to move her eyes. A mask comes into view in the darkness as she loses her sight. It is the red war mask of the ninja.

Miwa wakes up in a cold sweat crying and worrying for her master.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa sits against the side of the dragon’s snout in the morning having tea. She looks across the area. Every week her signs are torn down and her tent is ripped apart and her supplies are missing or scattered about the area. She knows it’s the leopards looking for food and the raptors just being assholes. She sips her tea and thinks about what to do about it.

After a bit her mind starts to wander about Henik and Trevelyan. She smiles and thinks warm thoughts. Without realizing it she speaks out. “He is a good man.” She catches herself by surprise and frowns. “I have no time for these thoughts when I have so many other problems, Like you.” She elbows the dragon’s side of the archeaox’s lip causing the creature to open its eye and look at her a moment.

She then muses about Henik. He can be a fine boy and a knight if She and Trevelyan can find the proper knight to teach him. They has a lead from Elvalith. Hopefully they will be able to place the young man with a proper teacher. She thinks she should go down and talk with Henik again, but her own quest must take precedence. She must train several days on a ridged schedule to even hope to achieve her goal. She quietly comments, “After training for sure. I must needs encourage him to a good path. Not only for the betterment of society but also for himself.

Miwa finishes her tea and pours some more. She then opens her journal.

It was a blistering 4 days among the people this last time. The first thing that happened was that Elvalith and Drasta invited me along to go far to the north along with Trevelyan. We found a weathered statue there. Elvalith did something there with a flower. I am not sure what. Suddenly a portal opened. We entered and found behind it a great crystal cave.

We wandered to another chamber with great crystals surrounding us. In this chamber there was a throne. Elvalith or Drasta I am not sure who; It may have been my own curiosity encouraged me to touch it. I felt a power unlike any other touch me back. It filled me up and suddenly I had gained some form of knowledge. My armor changed somehow, and I knew I could protect myself and others better.

I found out after everyone got together that I was filled with the power of something called Aether. I am not sure what it is, but I know I can fill myself up with this raw power and release it in a blast that not only protects myself from both sword and spell a few seconds but can make enemies surrounding me stumble back and fall.

Later someone explained to me there were 4 or 5 great powers of influence on the island that one can infuse themselves with once they can handle such power. The powers are the Void, Aether, Spirit, and Blood. There is another but the individual was not sure if it fit quite in the same category, it is called Rift.

We did come upon a problem though. Drasta already filled with the void also touched the crystal throne. It also filled her with the power of Aether; however, she had already infused herself with Void. The two powers collided and took her mind and her memories. She began to go insane. Elvalith instructed me to take her away from the crystal cave to which I did. I lifted her up bodily and carried her out.

For the next few days Drasta switched from having the intellect of a 5-year-old child to her normal gruff self-depending upon how much fey energy was about in the area. It seems fey energy can give her back her mind temporarily. She went on several excursions with groups to which I was also a part of. It was both entertaining and troubling because she was getting worse day by day. Too much power cannot be controlled by mortals alone. Carrying both the power of Aether and the Void almost killed her.

On the last day of my excursion Drasta, with many others’ help, figured out how to fix herself during the times she was lucid. She had to retake the path of the void to flush the Aether out or something like that. We went to the Tomb of the lord and dived deep into it where the path of the Void lay.

There we opened the gate to the Void, and she went in. After quite a while the gate closed. We thought she lost to the void and death. We all prayed for her soul and gave our last goodbyes going home. After a few hours she appeared to us at the crossroads once again, her whole and surly self.

In between this saga many, many other things happened which garnered my attention. Orn sent me a letter asking for help. I met him with many others on the appointed day. He told us he needed to make a special hammer in a special place. I was happy to help the craftsman.

It seems a gate can be opened on a certain moon on a certain night of the year in Drakamyre. We went to a waterfall where there seemed to be pillars made of moonlight touching the banks and ascending upward. There we met one of those little flying fairies. It said to open the gate we must give of ourselves and choose a higher concept to concentrate on. After some confusion on my part listening and translating, I got that to open the gate someone or perhaps more people must give it life energy. I looked around and found no one there that I knew for sure could use and manipulate the power of Ki so I rode in front of the gate on Sakura.

Once there I lifted my arms and concentrated. I opened my channels in my body and let my ki flow into my arms, hands and shoulders as I was about to make a ki strike upon an enemy, but instead of releasing it in a powerful single moment into my sword I held it back releasing it slowly methodically so that it flowed like a small stream into the gateway. The others took a while to catch on but finally began to concentrate on other attributes the fairy said to concentrate on adding their own forms of energy or magic to open it.

I was almost completely drained of ki when the gate opened. Sakura, sensing my distress walked right through the gate just before I blacked out. When I woke, I felt the great strain of all my responsibilities and almost collapsed again. The fairy was frantic saying this was not supposed to happen and some of my friends concerned sat around me. It took some time to gather myself. I rested in this mysterious and ancient grove before continuing. It seemed to speed recovery. I stood up wobbly on my feet continuing deeper into the grove with the others.

We found 10 fairies buzzing around this moonlight grove. Orn spoke with them about the making of a special hammer. They said they could do that but that all here must speak to one of the fairies. They needed to share their virtue with the fairy the virtue represented. This was needed to power the magic of the grove. There were 10 fairies and 9 of us. We were a bit confused at first. We thought these fey would take these virtues, these higher ideas, away from us.

They were patient and explained that no they did not want to do that. But we must simply share with them our experiences with the aspect each fairy represented. Each was to pick one fairy and share with them. The leader called out the virtues of each. Many represented the pillars of Bushido. There were others like perseverance that were different. I remember Truth, honor, courage, perseverance, and charity.

I chose truth and stood before the fairy representing the idea. I shared with her my darkest secrets and the truths about them. Some I have told others. Some I have held most of my life. As I did this, I heard the others talk to their fey. As the fey communed with them they showed sympathy and counseled them on hope for the future. My fairy did no such thing. She simply told me to continue the path I have chosen.

I do not quite understand the meaning, but I will take it respectfully and continue in my goals. Perhaps some will bear fruit. I realize that not all will. After all is it not the nature of man to stumble to a higher place; To higher ideas, as they walk the path of life while failing time after time.

Fall seven times, stand up eight. The phrase has come to represent the idea of perseverance and resilience in the face of adversity. It encourages us to not give up after one, two, or even several setbacks, but to keep pushing forward and striving towards our goals. By doing so, we can develop the strength and character necessary to overcome any challenge.

We left the grove as it was. Pristine and mostly untouched. Orn had created his hammer. He offered us things or a boon. I took a boon and told him that I wanted him to make my dragon saddle. He was not pleased by this; however, he accepted the task. I may never be able ride this dragon but with saddle mounted on him there would be few that provoke him and try to kill him knowing that someone looks after him and that he could be someone’s mount. It is a simple use of misdirection. One for a greater cause.

I must exercise now and go through my routine. Tomorrow I will write about the green knight and the mirror that held him. I will write about Henik a boy that his stepmother sold to myself and Tevelyan for but a few coins to get rid of him, and a death at a mage school in Keis whose mystery bears the taint of necromantic forces.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa finishes her test routine. She has added the dragon to it. She strings the bells and apples around the sleeping Archeaox blind, blind folds herself and then tries to sever the apples just below the bells while having the bells stay on the lines. It’s an added element of danger that could ever be her ending and she knows it.

Along with that she often hears the brush moving near ground level as raptors take advantage and try to make her a meal. Thus far she has gotten all the raptors and has not hit the dragon. She takes her blindfold off and is once again mortified. She has gone backwards. The added dangers have made her too cautious. She knows that while she is running through it. She is second guessing herself. Only a third of them were cut cleanly between fruit and bell. She walks away disgusted a with her own ineptness.

She goes to her supply tent, lights a fire. She gets her quill and well along with her journal now that evening is coming.

I cut off my writing yesterday due to the light. I decided not to light the lantern so as not to draw spiders or a flock of raptors to me. I wish to write of the green knight. I still keep tabs on all my previous workings. I have made commitments to Hamley and to Lowtown. I have partially abandoned my goals in these areas. However, if they have need, I will be there when I may and not in training. Lenio still haunts the lack docks of Steinkeis and the knights in Hamley. These flames are arrogant and corrupt along with a mayor that shows cowardice in the face of danger.

Truly these people do not have good leaders or there would be justice done for the greater populations.

I had heard rumors that there was a ghost that walks the fields outside the city walls. There were also some rumors of a ghost in the Feywood. The descriptions of this ghost were the same in both cases a ghost that glowed green in the night of an armor man. I went to investigate and found many companions also hearing the rumors or were asked by the town directly had showed up.

Trevelyan was there before me sitting by the fire. Then Drasta and Tommy and Tova showed up. I was mildly concerned about Tova. I do not the same guidelines to judge her as I do my own profession or the western equivalent however she was also involved in trying to slay sniffles when I called out time and time again for them to stop and desist. I am careful to watch her keenly for if she is willing to slay a peaceful creature of the jungle even when told to stop then she must be watched carefully for other signs of anti-social behavior. I try to keep my silence when around her now and will not bow to her in greeting. Fortunately, westerners do not know the significance of this non-action. It is an insult and not a small one.

The next person to show up was Legebriewyn. Everywhere this elven goes chaos follows. I do not trust nor like this elf. There is something wrong with him. He is a horse thief, and he has attempted to murder unarmed people. If I had my way there would be justice handed down upon him, however I am not an authority here and have no rectitude to do so. Also, Tova counts herself a member of the swamp people who are on the verge with the elves of Feywood. Tensions will always be high when both factions are represented in one group.

I had to tread very cautiously knowing my ultimate goals and positions. I do not need more enemies among the factions of Thain now that Kozakurians are starting trade with Sandburrow. If I am to be eventually an envoy for my people or even an ambassador, I must weave the politics of this island to stay neutral to all. I will hate this part. I tend to try to be a purist in the way of the sword. To stay here it will be necessary.

Our first start was a far where the sightings occurred. The farmer who worked the farm was at the gazebo in front of the Roadhouse. He explained his encounter with his boy. We went to the place to find his wife upset about the whole of the situation and worried that we were bandits come to rob her.

We calmed her and asked her if we could walk the property so we may find clues to this ghostly encounter. She agreed after a long argument, and we investigated. Finding tracks, we followed them through the fields and into a nearby cave.

There we found a mirror frame and a broken panel along with other clues that pointed to the use of fey magic. It was deduced that for some reason we needed to put the mirror back together if we were to find this ghost.

The other sightings were in Feywood, so we went there searching for other broken panels to make this mirror whole again. This was a large mirror. Taller than I was. Someone was asked to carry it. I balked at the idea. Even though I was most likely the strongest in the group I could not bring myself to carry the dreaded thing, so Trevelyan took up the task.

There in southern Feywood we not only found a shard of the mirror but also a dark fairy. It said that it wanted to free the man we were searching for because the man (not a ghost) worked for some queen of air and destruction to destroy the dark fey. The fairy wanted to help us so that this queen would lose her knight forever. We slid the panel into the frame and moved to the next likely place to find the next panel in the northlands.

We had a problem with the elven Legebriewyn. He would not let Drasta go past the outpost to get to the northlands. I challenged him on his own conduct in human lands. He simply stated that the elven council had its own laws and that Drasta is banished from their settlements. It was something I could not argue without full knowledge so I personally escorted Drasta around Feywood into the northlands meeting the others near the swamp. We found the panel relatively quickly by the earth shrine.

Next, we followed the riddle the fairy gave us to the necropolis. There we found the last panel. We slid it in place and put it in a great stone circle as the fairy’s riddle demanded. There Tova and Legebriewyn used their magic to weld the mirror whole again and a man stepped out.

Trevelyan and I were at the ready if the man decided to make hostile actions. He did. Both of us used subdual tactics the man did not. He put down Trevelyan rather quickly. I used the opportunity to try to tie his sword and shield up with my own blades however slipped and he gave me a rather large slap to the head. Surprised by the force of the blow I too went down.

Tova and others started to attack the mirror again shattering it breaking the bone with the man and his mistress.

The man now realizing we were not trying to kill him but only trying to defend came to his senses and was willing to speak to us. He told his story that he had made a pact with this dread queen. He did not give his reasoning. He said he had fought the dark fey now almost 30 years and only wished to go back home to Hamley.

We discussed much with the man and left him on his way now free of fey influence. I and Trevelyan went up and reported to the outriders all that had happened. The very next day I found myself in Hamley. I had hoped to check in with the man. He was in fact at the market.

I made sure he had a place to stay and asked if he was accepted back into the community. He seemed to assert that he was, however, I saw the outriders watching him with some suspicion. He also said that even though he had been away 30 years it had only been 2 years gone by here. Such are the fates. I think the man will do well once he is fully accepted in the community. At least I would give hope to it.

I’m starting to write like Elvalith speaks. Not sure that is a good thing.

Miwa looks up at the sky and gets flustered. I again must put my pen down. I will write about Henik and the mage school tomorrow.

She sets her supplies away, douses the fire and then climbs up to her squirrel nest. It was a tiring and disappointing day. She sleeps.

Miwa is on her knees next to the stove when Amaya comes in. The servant bows and goes to her own knees. Miwa bobs her head slightly recognizing her. “Sato Akio has come with family for a visit.”

Miwa nods, “Ryuu is with the mayor of Nisishirakawa. It will be several hours before he comes home. I will see them alone. Have tea ready and if you could make some cakes and other food.”

Amaya affirms that she can do all of it. Miwa tells her, “Thank you Amaya.”

Miwa stands and goes to the main door of the home. Akio, Izumi, their toddler are all there. Izumi is holding a newborn wrapped in blankets in her arm. They all bow to her being that she is in her own home and therefore outranks everyone and every visitor within its confines. She recognizes them.

Miwa takes note of them. Akio is in his best silk kimono. It is far in excess to what Miwa or Ryuu would wear. Izumi looks to have gained about 40lbs and the toddler looks slightly skinny and is wearing plain peasant clothing.

Miwa starts out, “Welcome to my home and be at peace guest and family.”

Izumi smiles, “We are thankful for the audience, sister. Please forgive our intrusion. We bring a gift not only for an audience but for your birthday. Eighteen a wonderful age to be.” She produces a small box from her robes.

Miwa bows and accepts the gift. The family take off their shoes and Miwa leads them to the dining room with the oven set in the middle. Tea is already cooking on it and cakes are being made for the occasion. Miwa wraps her kimono around her and sits on her knees. After she is settled, the couple sit down on theirs. The toddler is left to roam. Amaya will keep her eyes on the child, so it does not cause distraction. As Miwa pours cups of tea she asks, “What is the little one’s name?”

Izumi once again answers, “Her name is Haruki like our sister.”

Miwa nods, “The two of you always seemed closer than Sango and me. I think age had something to do with it.”

Izumi nods, “And your constant training, sister. Father left you no room to truly know us. You should visit. You haven’t since your marriage I believe.”

“How are the rest?”

“Father is father. He’s mostly retired now. He pines over past battles and glories. He’s very proud of you, Miwa. Sango is in school for the priesthood. Haruki is tending to the family.”

Miwa furrows her brows, “Haruki should be 22 now. Why is she not married with her own family? She is the prettiest of us. She should carry a high bride price?”

Izumi is caught for a moment not knowing what to say. Miwa also questions her reaction internally until she answers. “As you know father is older. I believe that Haruki tends to him and make sure the household is maintained. Without you and I there it’s harder to run both a household and village. They have had to hire a few servants now.”

Miwa still thinks it’s strange. Something is not right but she lets it go. After tea Amaya brings her the gift. Miwa pays the family respect and opens it. It’s a small statue of a Wolverine defending its pups from a wolf. The statue is blown glass. Another rather expensive extravagance for Izumi and her family. Miwa is thankful but is starting to get an idea as to why after not visiting for more than two years suddenly the family shows up at her doorstep. “It is a wonderful gift Akio. I am grateful.” She hands it to the maid who takes it out of the room. It will be put in a place of honor after the family leaves.

Amaya brings out a tray of lunch items and the family eat in silence for a time. More tea is set on the stove. When that is finished Akio stands and bows to Miwa. I need to run through some stretching. You have a place, Midnight bloom?”

“In the back is our training area though Ryuu does not use it much. By all means Akio, enjoy.”

Izumi’s husband leaves out the back door. Miwa stops and stares at her sister. Izumi takes the que.” Akio has become part of our Daimyo’s personal guard but. We have a small one now. With both children and no land to make profit on we must depend upon Akio’s salary. We are in trouble Miwa.”

“Let me ask you this Izumi. I see a lot of extravagance in your ways. Are you living beyond your means. You are the caretaker of the family’s finances. Are you not administrating your duties correctly?” (It’s a long-standing tradition in both Kozakura and Wa that wives hold the purse strings and are responsible for all financial decisions of the family. The men of the family, even samurai, get an allowance from their wives)

Izumi looks down at her babe then back up at Miwa, “I have made mistakes, Miwa. I am sure you understand the way father…….”

Miwa nods, “I do understand Izumi. I truly do.”

“With 10,000 in coin. I believe we can make it and pay you back in good terms. It’s what we need and all we ask.”

Miwa looks incredulous, “That is a lot of coin Izumi.”

“I know.”

Miwa meditates a good long time on it. “I will give you your 10,000. You will pay me back 500 a month at 3% interest. If you fail to pay me, I will write your Daimyo for restitution. You will agree to have your family loose your rank and become part of my household until such time as you have paid your debt in full to me. You will receive your coin only after a full contract is made and signed by both you and your husband. That is my offer. Take it or leave it.”

Izumi bows deeply, “You are gracious my sister. Thank you. I had expected a much greater interest rate.”

“I know what father did to you and how you reacted. Izumi you need to learn control. You are responsible for your family’s well-being. Your children will not starve, and you will not lose your home hopefully. Bring your ledgers to me once every two months and together we can get you on the right track.”

Izumi nods, “Your proposition is accepted. Thank you, Miwa. I will gather my family and leave in peace after we sign.”

Miwa stands up and goes to the couple’s office to make up a contract and a copy. After Akio and Izumi sign formalities are taken care of the family leaves. Miwa stands by the door watching them. “Please sister I have the best of intentions for you. Learn from your mistakes this time. I have my own repeated mistakes. I must also learn but realize it and work on it. Please work on your own.” With that she puts her tea down and goes to the back for a long evening of training.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa works out all day and takes a bath before the wagon comes again with another elk carcass. It is late but not too late for her to drag it to the archeaox. After she has fed the dragon, she goes up to her nest with inkwell and quill. The spiders have been spreading out recently and she doesn’t want to be jumped while concentrating on her journal. She has been expanding her nest recently to be more comfortable. The only thing she hasn’t figured out is finding a plant to ward off the pesky mosquitoes.
It is another small price she pays for attending to the beast below her.

She writes.

I was relaxing in Hamley even though many there don’t like me. I do not think the outriders, or the citizenry have an opinion of me, but I do know the mayor and these flames do have a problem and I with them. It does not matter so much. Last time I was at the roadhouse the flames seemed to be gone. Hopefully they left for good.

I go up there often because it is, at least on the surface, more peaceful than Steinkeis. I am sure this will change if I must go down and live in Sandburrow pending a trade agreement with their mayor and council. I still feel troubled abandoning the city of Keis however their troubles are just too much, and they seem to not care for those different than themselves. Bunny was right. Steinkeis and Lowtown will never accept me. A noble from a foreign land will never be able to get any kind of traction there. And with all the thievery, corrupt politicians, the flames and political intrigue it is simple not a good place to set up trade with the islands there. Sandburrow is much better with its large navy and easy-going populace.

I’ve gotten off track. Well, that happens. So, I at the gazebo drinking one of those light alcoholic drinks the elves make, and Trevelyan shows up. We talked about the weather and other things. Nothing heavy. As we were doing so a woman approached us with her hired help about a missing boy, her stepson Jenik. It seems the father had died defending the town against the spiders that often roam the field.

Her demeanor was not that of a loving mother but something else. She had a feeling around her of nastiness, often calling her dead husband a good for nothing for dying while defending the town. Needless to say, I did not take that too well myself but remained neutral to her.

Her hired help was even worse and at one point tipped me off that he may even be yakuza or like scum hired to capture the boy for some nefarious reason. We told her we were both knights and would look for the boy. I tried to dissuade her from coming with us, realizing almost immediately there was something sneaky going on. She would have none of it and started to cry (not too convincingly) that she loved her stepson and that he had never run off before.

We asked her if there was a place kids would like to play like an abandoned grain house or building. They suggested the old church. All the while her hired man is making a case for us not to hand the boy over to these two cretins while we walked to the place. This is one dumb hired hand.

We make it inside the church and just in front of where an altar would be. I searched the left side and saw the boy. Luckily the woman and the hired hand were still out of view. Here is where I came to a problem with my own code. I could have told them the boy was right there. I did not. I walked back thinking about what to do. I do not openly lie even if it hurts the grander scheme or myself. In fact, I don’t believe I have ever lied since I have been on the island. Probably have. Everyone from time to time does. I also saw the stairs to the back on the other side of the room. I told them about the stairs and said I would check.

In fact, what I was doing was giving the boy time to make an escape. Unfortunately, he didn’t take the hint. When I came back down reporting there was nothing there, the boy, Jenik, was still there. I gave up and as Trevelyan came forward, he saw the boy holding a knife and threatening to use it. I put myself in gear and approached him with my hands away from my weapons. I asked if I could sit down so I could talk to him.

He threatened me. I told him that I would not take the knife away from him. That I only wished to talk.
I told him if he wanted, he could put the knife down, but he could say all that he wanted until he put it down or gave it to me himself. The mother kept interfering. As we began the conversation the mother started to interfere.

The boy called her a liar and said she didn’t care for him at all. I kept having to keep the mother back saying that he had a knife and could hurt himself or another and until we got the knife away, we needed to stay calm. I even tried to intimidate her to stay back but it failed. Finally, Trevelyan got the message and started to tie the mother and hired help to let me talk to the boy.

Now I could really speak to the boy and get to his side of the situation, but I had to be careful not to lead him in one direction or another. I needed the facts of his story, not the emotion. I saw that he obviously had not eaten well for a very long time. I always keep a ration of Kimchi soaked in vinegar in a small waterproof bag. I opened it and showed him plopping a piece of the raw fish in my mouth to show him it was good. He really wanted some to I handed him a piece without trying to take the knife away.

As we talked, I told him I would trade him the knife for the bag of fish. At this point he was not ready but told me all the lies his stepmother made up and eventually got to the point where she said she had thrown him out of her home. And how he wanted to follow in his father’s footsteps and defend his people. How he wanted to be a knight.

That got Trevelyan to start talking about us taking the boy and finding him someplace to train to become a knight. I smiled at him. What a smart man. He started to negotiate with the stepmother and hired man for us to take him into custody ourselves. I went back to the boy. He was following their conversation too.

Eventually Trevelyan paid the mother 60 coin for us to take charge of Jenik. The mother sold her child for 60 coin. It showed just how much she loved him. Upon seeing this Jenik gave me the knife and I gave him the whole bag of kimchi to which he wolfed it down almost getting sick.

When the other two left we took Jenik to the roadhouse. There we ordered a huge meal. Jenik ate again. We tried to keep the boy from eating too much and it worked…. for the most part. After he was full Trevelyan took him upstairs for a bath. Jenik fell asleep upstairs. Trevelyan came down alone. We then paid for Jenik to have a room and be able to eat there until the two of us come back ready to bring him to a sponsor that would teach him how to be a knight.

I am both happy and sad about this. Happy in that I may help a child possibly grow into a man. Sad that I have not yet been blessed myself. I will be 27 when my quest is complete one way or the other. Will it be too late for me? Can my broken body still have a child or was it even ever capable? I do not know but have hope that one day the 8 million will smile down on me. I am sorry my husband. Please keep watching over me.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa works on her routines and mediations most of the day. Today she doesn’t do her best and knows she’s doing a lackluster performance. She gives up about noon. The dragon is also in a foul mood. She decides not to disturb it and goes to her nest to write.

On the last day of my outing among the people I was resting by the camp near the tackle when Drasta dragged me into town. There I once again met Estelle and Sika: Two knights that neither deserve either their station or title.

Elvalith has asked me not to judge people by my own standards. The west is different than the east. I have tried not to judge the common man or woman of the west by my own standards and know well it would be folly to do so. However western knights have their own vows. Vows very similar to bushido. They should be judged upon their merit and following the principles of those vows. As far as Estelle and Sika sorely wounding a peaceful creature when I told them to cease and desist was not the only problem. When I approached them about their misdeed, they tried to get me to lie with them. They said it never happened and tried to convince me that it didn’t with a wink of their eye. I will not put up with such conduct with a knight. I may absolve Tova one day. I have absolved Drasta because she realized her mistake and asked me to forgive her.

No such thing happened with Estelle and Sika. They are the worst of what knights represent. Just like my father they would lie and connive to keep their status and station always to look good and gain false honor even through their misdeeds. I try to have nothing to do with them, however society does need my help from time to time. Steinkeis does need people to do the things the corrupt leaders will not do. Society must be maintained and improved upon whether in Sandburrow, Iron City or Steinkeis. So, I must work with these two corrupt knights occasionally and keep my peace about it.

That last day many came for Estelle and Sika’s call. There was Korander, Elvalith, Zainee, Drasta, Trevelyan, Mick (a man from Lowtown I do not know) Lucille and myself. We went to some form of mage school in the upper district. There we met a high magistrate. I forgot his name.

We moved up to the upper tiers of their tower and discussed with a young woman about her husband who had been studying an ancient obelisk. There were some questions about the use of necromancy and her husband who had disappeared. The woman did not look very sick but occasionally coughed. I thought nothing of it.

After the discussion about her husband, we moved on to the great obelisk he was studying. We were looking for him and thought that he might be there. There was a puzzle of sorts to open the portal to where this obelisk was. It took us a long time to figure out. But someone did. Going to the place via portal we found the great statue. It buzzed and hummed with energy.

We did not find the wizardess’s husband nor any clue to the whereabouts of the man. As we discussed we figured out that we would not be able to make much more headway. There was more talk of the husband’s use of necromancy. The girl eventually turned tail to go back to the tower. We followed, one by one. When we ported back to the tower the young wizardess was laying on the floor dead. It seems she had succumbed to a long-standing chronic disease.

We discussed it and even tried to heal or bring her back. Sika took the lead on that. Our efforts were for naught. Her soul moving on to the great void of death. The group broke up and began to exit the tower. Trevelyan, Elvalith and I lingered a bit discussing the whole affair.

Elvalith put out the theory that the girl’s husband had been using necromancy to gather information on how to cure his sick wife. It is a solid theory: One to which I would lean toward, however I had to tell her that we truly don’t know until we have all the facts and for now there is little basis for the supposition until we find them.

All throughout this journey about this man who is said to use necromancy I collected what vague facts I could. I want to test myself upon how I would judge him if it came to that. There is little to go on thus far. Momentarily I lean to Elvalith’s theory and would not judge him overly harsh if her supposition is true but that may change as more of the facts come into us.

That is all I have to say for now. The day is long and I’m not getting anywhere with my training. I’ll take a nap and perhaps do some night training later. It’s more dangerous in the jungle but I am samurai and will not fear.

Miwa snuggles into her husband’s chest as she is fully satisfied, and he spoons her. He almost completely envelops her with his size. She feels safe. She feels like a woman protected by her man even when her fighting skills far exceed his own.

“You’re content and relaxed. I can feel it.”

“Um-hum. I love it when you make me feel protected and wanted. Even if my body is so broken.”

“chuckles” I don’t think I’ll ever understand you.”

“I don’t think a husband and wife are ever meant to fully understand each other my love. I just want to love you while we have the time.”

“You do. Though our time may be small the way you fight, and my uncle always calls you and not me. Makes me jealous.”

“We each have our talents. I was meant to fight. You were meant to lead. Do you know why I love you so much?”

“Of course. It is the enthralling spell I put over you.”

Miwa elbows Ryuu playfully in his stomach. “No silly. It because you make me laugh. It’s because you are naturally so much kinder than I, and it's because you are a better person by far than I.”

“I worry for you when you leave.”

“It is ever the way of our profession to die for our lord and people. You know that part of me. I am a purist in the way of the sword. I too worry about this. I want to give you something more. Something that will carry on after my head is posted and my body burnt.”

“The night is cool. Let's not talk about death. I’m happy just holding you. We’ll keep trying. I would like you to be more reserved when fighting. I need you.”

“When I see my girls and my responsibility, I know that I must sacrifice myself for those I protect. So I lead them. It would be irresponsible to lead them while following. I will ever sacrifice myself for both my women and my people. Hold me while you may husband.”

“How are the girls?”

“Well enough to keep trying to hit on me.”

“You have your papers. War camp must be lonely.”

“I have all that I want in this bed my love and that is you.”

Ryuu holds her tighter in contentment. Miwa basks in his warmth. “I still don’t see how you feel so protected by me.”

“My father was never able to beat the girl out of me no matter how hard he tried. I am still a woman and need someone to protect me. You may not be a better fighter, but you protect me in other ways. You are my counsellor and my conscience, Ryuu. You keep me humble and safe from the worse parts of my inner self. You are my man. I feel protected from myself around you.”

Ryuu strokes her cheek at that. Miwa smiles and snuggles deeper into his chest. “Sleep. We have a lot to do tomorrow.”

“Always work, yes. Good night, Galant.”

Miwa’s lids get heavy, and she finally finds the peace of sleep; all the while Ryuu strokes her hair. “Good night, Midnight Bloom. I love you too. You’re more beautiful than you will ever realize.” With that Ryuu joins her in dream and the peace it brings to the couple when they are together.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa comes into camp. It will be ten days of solitude, meditation, and training. She brings with her a water trough for a horse and a very large, stiff, straw broom. She sets the water trough down near the dragon and then cleans up camp. She resets her supply tent, starts a fire and resets the signs around the area so people know she protects the archeaox. From there she goes to the fountain the druids created and fetches water for the trough.

She puts a bunch of soap in it, dipping the broom in the water and turning around to the beast. “Now that we truly have an understanding. I’m going to wash you.” The dragon opens one eye for a moment then closes it again. She runs over to the broom and starts to scrub its leg. As soon as she does the giant tail attacks her. She ducks.

The dragon gets off and runs off the cliff clipping her tent and knocking it down again. She runs to the edge to see the giant wyvern spread its wings and launch itself into a glide down the canyon and out of view. She shakes her fist at it. “I’M STARTING TO HATE DRAGONS! NO! IT’S MEN! DIRTY, STINKING, SMELLY MEN THAT WONT TAKE A BATH!”

Once again Miwa is defeated. She slowly sets her tent up again and sits by the fire. She brings out her journal, quill, and ink.

I was in public for several days. Several journeys marked my time there. One was information Drasta imparted to me about a strange individual that tried to kill her. Another was Drasta leading an expedition to the dark monastery. The third was my own adventure where I defeated Kin’s brother in combat, fixed my sword and flew Sniffles back home. And the last was a heart-to-heart talk with Elvalith about dealing with several possible consequences for my actions. Today I will write about Kin, or should I say Kin’s brother who took Kin’s identity to try to kill my shogun, take over the clans under him as shogun himself with me at his side as wife to claim his legitimacy to the Kozakurian people and nobles.

Kin sent me a letter to wait for him at the crossroads. Drasta showed up several times asking if he had come yet. Each time I had to shake my head. On the third day a sailor from Sandburrow came by complaining about how a ship had thrown tons of cargo overboard and the halfling merchant fleet and navy were hitting debris all along the coast. I asked him what was in the cargo. He told me expensive clothing and silk, strange exotic weapons, and jars of strange spices.

I questioned him on the people that were in Sandburrow that had eyes like mine. He recognized them saying they had a whole workforce in the Sandburrow shops smelting iron and making something with it. He also said that they had built a strange cart with no windows as big as a barn and as he passed by he could hear something breathing inside. Something large.

We decided to see for ourselves what was happening in Sandburrow. We went down by ship and found a guard who gave us much the same story. Along with questioning sailors that had picked up more crates from the dumping of product into the sea.

As we spoke with the guard, I figured out part of the story. I knew now that Kin didn’t care about the merchandise he came here with. It was something to do with iron. He needed the iron for some purpose so had to unload it because of its weight. He would claim the insurance he paid by giving a story of pirates to reclaim the profits from the dumped merchandise. And I knew in my heart he had captured Sniffles. The guard gave much the same story and told us that the dwarves were still working in the shops, and some were getting wasted at the inn.
We chose to go to the shops. There were crates everywhere when we walked in but no iron. I told the foreman that I am a representative of Kozakura (truth) I am. Though not in favor I still hold my rank as Onna-bugeisha and honor until my quest is finished. I also told him I wanted to inspect the crates. He gave me a crowbar.

I and Drasta inspected many crates finding Kozakurian wares but no iron. Finding nothing there we went outside. There in the fields a thick fog came in. We could not see our hands outstretched. Then the ninja or ninja like people came dressed all in black with red demon masks on. The battle here was all one sided. Drasta and I easily took them out and headed for the docks.

At the docks we could see Kin’s ship heading out in the distance to the west. We quickly paid a small boat captain on a ship about 30ft long to chase after. We boarded and headed out. The chase lasted several hours, and we were catching up. All the sudden the air became frigid. The sail froze solid and air elementals appeared out of nowhere attacking the ship and crew.

Drasta and I fought with the crew in a pitched battle. As the last of the elementals were destroyed, we found ourselves alone. The crew had all died. Neither of us knew anything about steering a boat. As we discussed what to do the ship suddenly lurched toward Kin’s ship. We looked down to see water elementals pulling it toward his. Drasta took to the shadows behind the deck crates. I stood defiant out in the open.

The two ships met, and a ladder was slung over the side. Kin’s Face showed. “Oh, it’s my lovely wife.”

I retorted, “Not until my Shogun says I am!”

“Are you alone?”

“No! I have my shadow with me.”

“You hear that creaking. My water elementals are starting to crush your ship. You can place all your weapons into the crate there or go down with it. my lovely wife.”

I had to make a decision: To go down with the ship or hope that Drasta could use her head. I looked up at Kin. “I’ll put everything into the crate except my kaiken. No one takes a kaiken from a female samurai!”

With all the creaking and groaning of the hull being crushed no one noticed that Drasta hiding behind had kicked in the lowest board of the crate. As I started putting katana’s and wakizashi’s into the crate Drasta was pulling them out from the bottom and storing them in her bags. When I was done, he let me climb up. The ship we were on went down. I only hoped Drasta had been able to sneak aboard.

Two guards grabbed me from the sides and tied my hands behind my back. I was led below decks and into a huge hull. There I had to wait as guards lined up the sides and there were two behind me, each clasping my shoulder. I assessed how many I could take out and had planned to tear out one of the guard’s necks behind me with my teeth if it came to that while standing there.

A man I had never seen walked in. He was dressed in noble robes. He was just a bit older than Kin and not quite as good looking. He came just out of striking distance and aske me my name.

“Which one do you want I have six.”

“Whatever one you want.”

“Miwa.”

“Ah, Barasume Miwa. I have heard so much about you. I am Kin-Ak-Cho.”

I blinked in surprise and then he explained to me that His brother had taken his name to play his mind games on both the Shogun and me. Why he did not say. He did say that once he had heard of my dragon his family decided to capture it so that the Shogun would no longer threaten their lands. The Archeaox would be a symbol of their power and would protect them from Kyo’s advances in his quest for more land to control.”

He had me walk further into the hull there bound with great iron chains was Sniffles. He was both angry and scared, snapping at anyone that came near him. I walked up to him without fear. He attacked me. I spoke soft words to him calming him down while dodging his snapping maw. Once Sniffles was calm again he walked me back to where I was.

We talked at length about his brother whose name he would not say. He told me that his brother had great aspirations and that I was somehow involved in his plan, however their father recently disavowed him for his machinations in Kozakura. Then Kin said he was leaving in his own ship. Again, it surprised me. I asked him. You’re leaving him on a ship with me and my dragon. You know what will happen.”

Kin just turned his head and smiled. “I will be leaving to my ship now.”

The gloves were off. I now had both rectitude and sanction from Kin’s own family for my revenge. Still, I waited.

It was not long before Kin’s brother the fake Kin came down with a mask. It was a red demon mask like the ninja that were with him except it had crystal eyes. His wu-jen were with him, and now he told me of the full of his plan.

In fact, he did not want to take me to Koryo. He wanted to bring my shogun here kill him then force me to marry him. With this marriage he had lawful claim to Kyo’s position as the new Shogun. I was aghast but did not show it. He tried to convince me to help him. I said no.

He then looked around to the shadows and said, “Drasta I know you’re here come out.”

I think he wanted her to help convince me. She didn’t say much, just stood there. His eyes turned to me. “No matter once Kyo is dead you will have little choice my darling wife. He held his hand back to his wizards. “Give me the crystal.”

This is where my grand gamble came into play. When I broke the second crystal, I did not get direct contact with my lord. Instead, one of his advisors answered me. I hoped with every breath of life that I had figured correctly that his wu-jen were shielding him from magical contact. The gamble paid off. The fake Kin tried to use the mask and crystal to summon shogun Barasume. Nothing happened. It was then when one of the guards behind me spoke with a voice I recognized as my lord shogun’s.

“Go now. You have another quest. Show me your honor. Show me your loyalty.” My bonds were suddenly cut, and the dragons chains made with the iron fake Kin had bought and smelted fell off of him. Drasta rushed to me carrying in her arms my swords. I quickly took them up as I saw Kin’s brother running away. We had to fight our way to the deck. Ninja and wu-jen attacked us all along the way.

I went into my hummingbird style of fighting rushing past the ninja to attack the wizards. After defeating them I would again rush back and hit the backside of the ninja surprising them. It worked we were hardly wounded going up to the deck.

Once there we saw Kin’s brother on a small boat making for an island. Again, I took a chance. I grabbed Drasta’s hand and jumped upon Sniffles. He took off. We held on for dear life and limb as the dragon banked and yawed to the island.

When we landed, we faced a mighty battle of elementals, wu-jen and ninja. This time the battle was hard. Both Drasta and I were wounded severely several times, but none fell. Sniffles half-way through it all disappeared. We found out later he was also sorely wounded and left the field to lick his wounds. After an exhausting fight we saw Kin’s brother running too a cliff. We had him cornered. Or did we.

With a smile and a motion, he disappeared, reappearing 30 feet away. Again, we gave chase. He was wielding two katanas. I hit him full force, he countered and did something I would have never suspected. As his blow got past my guard, I could feel the strength of his hit. It was no ordinary attack. It had the strength of ki.

We continued to fight. I was losing even with the help of Drasta. I had to wait and take the punishment until he had exhausted his life force. When I thought he was done I started using my own ki attacks, taking him by surprise that I would wait. Barely, just barely we defeated him.

Laying on the ground he wanted to say something. He was so surprised I would not go along with him. He almost started to plead. I drove the sword nightmare into him. It released the captive demon inside the blade and the sword absorbed the soul of Kin’s brother.

I raised the blade up and looked at the gem nestled on the tsubo. “You wanted us together. Now we are for the rest of my life at least. A fitting punishment for one that would try to take down their Shogun.”

We had to rest the night. Our wounds from the last battle were grievous. We patched one another up then tended to Sniffles. Then we fell to the ground exhausted and slept. The next morning with no way off the island I looked at Sniffles and back to Drasta. She nodded. We climbed upon his back. He did I guess what is natural. He took to wing homeward bound.

There is nothing quite like riding a dragon. The wind in your hair and the speed. He flies so fast you feel like you have to suck in the air to breath. There is nothing like it I have experienced.

We make it to the crossroads to find my Lord there. I went to my knees. Placing my hands, fingers pointed to the center on my thighs, I bow deeply keeping my eyes on his own. When I am finished Shogun Barasume speaks.

“I have not been procrastinating upon your letters and have heard a few things in recent weeks about you wanting to open up trade with these city states on this island. If you are going to be asserting your presence in my name, you must accept the responsibility of such.”

Kyo opens a scroll from the several that he has. “Barasume Miwa. By imperial decree of Emperor Hojo Kawabuko You are hereby given the station of official Envoy of Kozakura to the city states of the Island of Thain.

Your duty is to open trade among the city states of this Island Thain, To protect all Kozakurian citizenry upon the island and uphold the justice of the Kozakurian empire when needed. You will be the high representative in public affairs between our people and this island of Thain.”

Signed Emperor Hojo Kawabuko
Signed Shogun Barasume Kyo.

He holds out the scroll. “Please don’t fuck this up, Midnight Bloom.”

Miwa bows and respectfully takes the scroll. Kyo gives her other scrolls and letters one of them with an imperial seal on it addressed to Seijin. Your apprentice has both a private letter and a decree for him. You will read the decree and give him the letter.

Miwa bows

Remember. You are still banished and have a date in my court in little over 3 years young lady. If you fail. I will find another.

“Yes, my Shogun.”

Kyo bows to her does and about face and leaves. Miwa turns to Drasta. Drasta just smiles and gives her a wink of her eye.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa wakes up to the loud sound of chittering. She turns on her lantern and finds a giant phase spider at the edge of her protective spikes along the branches trying to figure out a way to negotiate a way to get to its meal. The area is to tight for it to fit anywhere near her but there is still a chance it can using its webbing. She looks at the lantern determined to use it as a firebomb if the spider gets to her because even though the space is too tight for the spider its also too tight for her to use her daikyu. She doesn’t bring her small calvary bow to the jungle. Something she will have to correct.

As she is thinking about what to do a giant tail comes up and skewers the creature. Sniffles brings the dead spider down to it and eats it. Miwa shines the lantern in the dragon’s direction. “So that’s why you tolerate me. I’m the bait!” The dragon looks up at her with one eye then lays down again and goes to sleep. “Well at least your back. I’ll still have to figure out how to give you a bath you filthy creature.”

She opens her journal again to write a few notes.

Just before I left for training, I met Elvalith on the hill between the crossroads and the city. A sort of secondary place of meeting for us. We spoke of distant things in the future and our families. She mentioned she hasn’t seen her husband in 4 days. I told her I understood.

I did tell her about my venture with Drasta against Kin or should I say Kin’s brother. I told her about releasing the demon soul in the blade to absorb the soul of the brother. She didn’t like it that much. She told me. “The demon may most likely follow you.”

I told her, “If the time comes when I must face the demon, I will.”

Her answer, “Good.”

I then humbly asked her to deliver a message for me while I trained. She asked who I wanted her to give the message too. I told her, “Sylph.”

I told her to say this, “The Imperial Envoy of Kozakura is a dear friend of one Drasta. We should meet. He will understand the significance of my statement.”

She told me she will. And with that we parted. She hopefully to see her husband and I to my training.

Miwa puts her journal down and sleeps.

Kame and Miwa are on the back porch sewing. It’s a special time for Miwa now in her second year of punishment for beheading a peasant girl who was sleeping with her husband. It is a rare time when she can let go of her responsibilities and do something without consequence. Kame looks over to her and smiles.

“Miwa?”

“Yes, Auntie?”

“Have you noticed the villagers come to you more now? They talk to you. They talk to you about their problems, Their achievements, and their worries for the future.”

Miwa concentrates for a moment and shakes her head, “I have so many duties.”

“It means they are starting to trust their lady. You are 18 now, almost an adult. 14- and 15-year-olds should never hold a position of authority. They are neither tempered enough nor experienced enough to handle certain jobs. You were placed in an untenable position. Now you’re older, wiser and you have changed greatly. I hope for more change to come.”

Miwa winces, “All my life I have been trained to do certain things. Every waking moment was another challenge. The price for failure was high. I don’t know what is happening to me. I just try to do my jobs of accounting for our lands and sitting in judgement of our people.”

“My husband takes care of the rest. He’s a gentle soul, Auntie, and I like him just the way he is. He does not need to be hampered by the darker side of life. I know the darker side. I have lived within its borders for many years. I want to shield him from that.”

Kame makes a side glance at her and smiles, “No one doubts your loyalty to your people, husband, or clan. Miwa, just your ability to lead and have heart. I think that hard piece of iron you have for a heart is softening. I hope it continues.

Think of it this way. It’s easier to attract flies with honey than vinegar.”

“I’m glad you think I am maturing.”

“You are. And the people around you see it. They are influencing you and you are taking too it. What I am saying Miwa is stay your course. You will find the balance you need eventual. Keep walking this road. Listen to us, your people, and your husband. I agree he is a good and gentle man. Perhaps one day with all of this you will learn to be a true leader. One that is balanced, tempered and just not someone that just follows code. There is more to life than bushido, Miwa. Remember that.”

Miwa takes a good long time thinking about what Kame said and then nods in compliance. She stops sewing and holds up the kimono she is working one. “I think I am done.”

Kame stands up, “Well then let’s see how well you did.”

Miwa wakes up mid-morning sweating as the jungle humidity becomes too much for her to continue to sleep.
CTP team member