The Bushido Code as seen through Miwa's eye's
This forum is for anyone to put their PC's stories down for other servers than Anchorome and Harvestmoon both long dead. Many may read them and get some inspiration for their own characters or for dming from their adventures.
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

The Bushido Code as seen through Miwa's eye's

Post by Winterhawk99 »

I'm writing 8 in game books in the current persistent world Miwa is adventuring in. A matriarch of a noble house has asked her to write about her code so she will do a small book on each of the 8 virtues of Bushido (I include self-control.) I will put them down here for everyone to enjoy who doesn't play in the persistent world Adalee.
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Re: The Bushido Code as seen through Miwa's eye's

Post by Winterhawk99 »

. The 8 Principles of Bushido

. Book I

. GI

. By Lady Barasume Miwa of the Barasume Clan

Gi in our language is the foundation of all the other 7 principles. Languages often offer a poor translation to words in other languages. Gi is one of these words. It can mean many things in the western world and in the eastern world It means one thought. It is justice, rectitude, righteousness It is all these things combined into one word or thought.

Gi is fundamental. It is being honest in all interactions with others. It is reflecting on what is just and true and being righteous in all that you do. You must always strive to do the right thing. You cannot control the rest of the world, but you can seek to follow the truth in your own life.

It’s not just about doing the right thing regarding others. It’s also about maintaining your own integrity; even when no one is looking.

Gi applies to not only martial truths and individual correctness. It applies to justice for the population at large: For it is up to the samurai lords and ladies of the government to apply justice for the people without thought of malice or blinded by good intention. One must know oneself and their own inner struggles to competently judge the people.

A well-known samurai in my country once said ‘‘Gi is a power of the person to determine a behavior according to reason without wavering; killing when it is right to die; striking when it is right to attack.’

Another said, ‘Gi is the bone that provides solidity and stature. The head cannot sit on the back without limbs, nor shift hands, nor stand feet. Thus, neither ability nor learning can turn a human structure into a samurai without righteousness.’

In my own experience I have learned that Gi is in fact the backbone of all other principles. I became Onna-Bugeisha at the age of 12 it is different in our world. Once you become a knight you are apprenticed under another until you are of age. At 14 I had my first battle. Another warlord wanted more land: our clan’s land. We lost the battle. For some reason he decided not to take our lands instead he choose me as his war prize and married me to his nephew.

As we were both knights, we oversaw two farming villages and one fishing villages just outside the city. My husband was a gentle man: not a man of war. I; however, was a warrior born and bred that withstood the utter torture of my father’s training since I was 5 years old. It was determined that I would be the judge of the lands while my husband administered in other areas of diplomacy.

I was wholly not ready to do this job. I did vial things in the name of justice. I used the harshest of punishments against my own people with my skewed sense of Gi given to me by my father. It took much time, learning and patience by both my husband and lord to make me see that Gi should be enacted blindly. I adhered to personal integrity and personal righteousness but not for the people at large. It took years but I slowly changed. I could see my husband’s blindness to good will, but I finally could see my father’s unbending failures in another virtue of bushido code That of kindness…… charity. By the time my husband died when I was 19, I finally understood Gi. It is not driven by personal issues. It is impersonal. It is truth without emotion, personal interest, or bias.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

The 8 Principles of Bushido

Book II

YUU

By Lady Barasume Miwa of the Barasume Clan

Yuu is courage. In the East we distinguish Bravery and Courage as two different things. Bravery is a common trait held by many men good and bad. A man condemned to death for wronging one or many may not admit his mistake, but still stand bravely to accept his punishment. A despot may lose a battle but stay to the rear and die fighting to save his men. These are examples of people who are brave, not courageous.

Courage, however, is not so common. One can only have courage if it is exercised in the cause of Rectitude or Gi. Courage is not blind; it is guided by prudence, self-control, intelligence, and confidence in one’s own strength. A samurai must rise above the crowd to face the injustices of the world. He must defend his ideals with the sword but should not act blindly in anger, however. If justice was perceived, the samurai must face it, but always with restraint and using his head.

Courage is about making sure that what we do is right and that we have the courage to do the right thing and not just what people think we should do. If we are raised in a particular way, we think in a way that we belief in. This is about making sure we do what we believe in and have the courage to do so.

So, to have courage you need to admit your mistakes. Sacrifice yourself to save someone and stand up for your decisions. The warrior’s way is the ability to face danger or hardship and keep your self -esteem. Courage can only exist within integrity. Courage is Doing what is right.

A famous samurai once said, ‘Hiding like a turtle in a shell is not living. A true warrior must have heroic courage. It is living life completely and wonderfully. Perceiving what is right and not doing it reveals a lack of courage. True courage is doing what is right even in the face of death.’

Another said, ‘If a man does not have enough courage and determination to fight to the end, He will give up in a time of need.’

I have had my own challenges with courage. There was a time when I encountered a man that took his own daughter for himself. I was enraged. I had rectitude to behead the man for his offense. This man was a high official, A man the oversaw an important village. I confronted him and his daughter. I asked the daughter to come with me and free herself from this man.

The man chastised his daughter and told her if she went with me she would become my slave for the knowledge I held of their relationship. He told her that I was just like him. One who would take advantage of others because I had power. Was it true? At the time, perhaps.

At this point I wished to kill him and end this abomination. Justice was on my side. If I had killed him and enacted justice, it would start a war between his clan and mine. Hundreds would die.

Of his four daughters: One would be headed. Two would have been thrown down to the lowest caste in our society (The Eta) most like to become common whores and the last would have been flayed alive. Every fiber in my being said that I should enact justice and kill this man. Instead, finding that my actions would cause more harm to many people I turned my horse around and left; Never to return. Did I fail to be courageous and die with the consequences of my actions? Or did I use restraint knowing that my actions bear grave reverberations? No one can be perfect in the codes they live by. We must learn sometimes from our own mistakes.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Book III

Jin

Jin is the word we use to describe compassion in the court language of the east. It is the third principle of the Bushido code. Mercy, Benevolence, compassion: Jin is considered one of the highest regarded of Bushido principles.

The Samurai and Onna-bugeisha are the leaders of my nation. They both rule and serve the people to bring overall peace to the population though often warring among themselves for position and power.
A man the ability to control and the power to kill must has similarly exceptional strength of Benevolence and compassion. Samurai possess physical and legal power. Instead of exercising power, they should show mercy and benevolence. Love, care, sympathy, and pity are some traits that a Samurai must look after. Through intense training and hard work, the true warrior becomes quick and strong. They are not like most people. They develop a power that must be used for good. If they have compassion: They help their fellow men at every opportunity. If an opportunity does not arise, they go out of their way to find one.

Love, magnanimity, affection for others and compassion are characteristics of blessing. It is the highest of qualities of the human spirit. It is also the highest requirement for a ruler of men. The Bushido Code invests a man with the power to command only while showing compassion and mercy. Thus, you must seek opportunities to use your power for the greater good, understanding the pain of others and desiring to help in any way that you can.

The desire to express love and sympathy through patience is compassion. It also involves trying to look at the universe from another’s perspective. True compassion is understanding, so we must not only understand our own place, but also the desires and wishes of others and how our actions affect those people. Many see this as a weakness and not appropriate for a warrior, on the contrary it shows enormous power.

I have two quotes from two famous samurai as I have had in other books. The first is: ‘In the eyes of mercy, no one should have hateful thoughts. Feel pity for the man who is even more at fault. The area and size of mercy is limitless.’

The next: "The feeling of distress is the root of benevolence; therefore, a benevolent man is ever mindful of those who are suffering and in distress."

For me this was the hardest tenet of bushido to understand. The samurai who trained me to be Onna-bugeisha was not a compassionate man. Just as the west has both good and bad knights, we in Kozakura have good and bad samurai. This man only paid lip service to Jin while manipulating everything and everyone around him for his own interests. Few saw it for he made a good façade of being kind in public.

When I first became a knight at 12 years of age, I had no understanding of Jin and those around me quickly realized this. I was naïve and could not cover myself as he did. It took me a decade to fully understand this concept and bring it into my heart with the help of many people pushing me to fully appreciate and have empathy with others. My husband, my gentle giant, along with the villagers he and I oversaw were a great part of my development in learning Jin. I thank them all.

I did such evils out of lack of compassion for the first two years of my marriage. It ended with a grand lesson of punishment from my local lord. I will not specify but it became one of the best lessons of my life. Now I am a different woman and in age I have gained understanding. Now when I freely give of my time, coin, or abilities it is from the heart not my face.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Book IV

REI

The Fourth principle of Bushido is called Rei. It means politeness or Respect and it is about using power wisely. Not only that but it also regards your actions toward others and yourself. You must also have self-respect to understand respect for others. So, this concept Rei involves many ideas of the west coalesced into one just as Gi. I will attempt to take you through this in this small writing.

First and foremost when one has power, they must know when and how to use this power wisely. Power can easily corrupt and the ability for a samurai to kill another human being with ease is a power that must be wielded with great wisdom and respect. Not just for others, but for oneself, to avoid corrupting one’s soul. What do I mean? In our nation samurai and Onna-bugeisha have the right to kill people of lower class for any offense. It is called the law of Kiri-sute Gomen. Any samurai may kill any of lower class than a peasant for any reason including the simple act of not bowing to them.

True warriors have no reason to be cruel. They do not need to prove their strength. Warriors are not only respected for their strength in battle, but also for their dealings with others. The true strength of a warrior becomes apparent during difficult times.

Courtesy, Excellent manners, Sympathy for the feelings of others is the true way of warriors to show respect and treat all with equality. The code sees that for a man or woman courtesy and good manners are rooted in compassion. It must not be motivated by a fear of offending good taste. It must come from the heart which is a showing of love.

Discerning the difference between obsequiousness and politeness can be difficult for casual visitors to Kozakura, but for a true man, courtesy is rooted in benevolence. Politeness should be the expression of a benevolent regard for the feelings of others; it’s a poor virtue if it’s motivated only by a fear of offending good taste. In its highest form Politeness approaches love. Rei means that you acknowledge your regard for the experiences and feelings of others. In order to collaborate with another person, politeness must be employed.

Rei in its highest form symbolizes love. It is one of the typical virtue of the Kozakurians that means acknowledging others’ beliefs and values. It is a sincere effort to display concern for others. One must be polite and courteous towards the feelings of others. A true warrior should be respected by not only his battle strength but also his code of conduct.

The two quotes I have for you are these. The first comes dear to my heart because I, myself, am an example of it. It is: ‘Shame is the soil of all virtue, good manners, and good morals.’ When I was young, I knew no shame at all. As I aged, I realized the wrongs I did in the past to others and felt deep within my being the shame of it. Thus, I learned and changed to be a better person: A more reserved and less judgmental person putting myself on the path to understanding Rei in its truest form.

The next quote is often misconstrued by the west from those westerners that know the bushido code. Rei also encompasses the idea of humility in a sense of the east. The quote is: ‘Think lightly of yourself, and deeply of the world.” You, self are not the center of the world. You are a small part of a much bigger equation for a short time in this world of Toril. The young do not understand this. The old know this through a long life of trials.

Your time is short in this world. It is best to act and do what you may for the betterment of your fellow citizens in any way your talents and training may take you. Remember you are a small part of the world that will be replaced when the time is right. Be at peace with this and do something that adds to the whole of society.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Book V

Makoto

Makoto in my language means honesty and sincerity. As a Samurai, (a knight of the east), your word should be taken as a sign of truthfulness. The warrior’s way is one of honesty, accuracy, and precision. Lying is considered cowardly and dishonorable.

As with a few other principles in bushido Makoto encompasses more than truthfulness. It also encompasses dependability. The word of a person has great value, but the value of those words lessens over time as each lie or failed promise builds. Seek to remain honest in how you speak so that when you speak, others know you’re not only telling the truth, but also that they can count on you to follow through. Samurai and Onna-bugeisha are very honest in our dealings. We rarely write or sign any written contracts unless it is an official duty to the nation of Kozakura, or their superior thus we prove our honesty. We earn it. We try to remain true to our words. Honesty develops integrity in the true sense of character. One must uphold integrity to practice several of the other principles. That means we must be honest and live honestly.

When warriors say that they will perform an action, it is as good as done. Nothing will stop them from completing what they say they will do. They do not have to ‘give their word’. They do not have to ‘promise’. Speaking and doing are the same action.

Makoto also involves abstinence and simplicity. Riches get in the way of understanding, so thrift is encouraged to encourage trust and sincerity. With Samurai men simplicity is looked upon as a requirement. This is not true of Onna-bugeisha.

In my country it is the women of samurai families that must maintain the numbers and coin for the household and if they rule over lands for their Daimyo the accounts for the village’s product and expense thus samurai daughters are taught and tested in accounting as a basic requirement of their education. Their husbands receive an allowance from their wives.

True samurai men disdain money. One famous samurai said “People would rebel against money for wealth to fervent knowledge. Men must grudge money for riches hinder wisdom.” Thus, high ranking samurai male children are raised to think that speaking of money displays bad taste. Their misunderstanding of the worth of various coins demonstrates good breeding. Makoto promotes thrift and the practice of Abstinence, not for economic purposes alone. Luxury is considered the biggest threat to manhood. Warrior ought to be simpler. The abacus is a woman’s tool and abhorrent to samurai men.

As you can see Makoto encompasses many thoughts in the west where we in the east have a single word. In my own experiences I have found it is impossible not to lie throughout one’s life. Honesty must be developed over an entire lifetime, practiced so that you may become better at being truthful today than yesterday. I often lied to my husband saying I had a good day when it was a very bad day. This happened especially when I could feel he often had a bad day. It often put him at better ease. Was this wrong? Yes. Would I do it again? I do not know. He is no longer beside me.

The other person I lie to is myself. We tell ourselves many things. I can do this mission, (when you know you can’t) I am great at this thing (When you know you are not) All of us do this but as a warrior grows and looks to expand his horizons, he should look to become better at doing these things less and less as he makes his way through life. As I have said before. Bushido is not so much a code of hardened law. It is a path that each Samurai and Onna-bugeisha must walk every day, every month, every year of their lives improving in the code as we travel to become better people and better leaders.

The following of Makoto is to live an honest, sincere, and simple life so that your peers and those you lead have absolute trust in your dependability and your word. It is a necessary quality of those that lead a people, less those subjects’ rebel against your authority for of your own shortcomings.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Book VI

Meiyol

Meiyol means Honor or Nobility

The Bushido Code deals with the profession of fighting but it is equally concerned with normal behavior. A sense of honor, personal dignity and worth characterize the Samurai and Onna-bugeisha.

We are born and bred to value the duties and privileges of our profession. Fear of disgrace hangs like a sword over the head of all the knights of Kozakura. To take offense at slight provocation is ridiculed as short-tempered. As the popular adage put it in our country: True patience means bearing the unbearable.

Samurai maintain a sense of self-worth and acted by the highest Code of conduct. You must recognize the spiritual obligation to respect the concept of honor.

Honor is the most valuable aspect of a samurai’s personality. Everything in a samurai’s life is centered around maintaining Their honor. Dishonorable acts such as cowardice, Treachery, and lying, are considered worse than death. Samurai have to put their honor above all else, and their reputation among their peers and subjects is considered as valuable as gold. Honor is gained by following bushido rules, and was the cornerstone of a samurai’s reputation, which means everything to them. Samurai fear dishonor more than death and will not shy away from preforming seppuku if they feel that they have disgraced themselves and lost their honor. We also commit Seppuku to save the reputation lord or lord’s family, thus demonstrating the extreme measures we are willing to take to preserve their honor. Being a samurai is a privilege associated with great responsibility and expectations. Maintaining a good reputation and a strong honor is the way to show it.

You must earn the respect of others; it is not given. After respect is earned, you can bring honor to your name and reputation. The sense of honor, the vivid consciousness of personal dignity and worth must be characterized in the samurai.

An honorable person is a humble person. The warrior’s way is knowing that without honor you have no respect and without respect you have no honor.

In my own experience I have done things that have brought me great honor and have also done things that have brought me dishonor. I became Onna-bugeisha at age 12 and I was married at age 14. The first 4 years of my knighthood brought me some dishonor though I did not know it. I thought I had followed the code to the letter. My judgements against my own people. Those I led were the harshest within the laws allowance. Instead of my people respecting me, they feared me. It took two years and a major incident to see how much I was wrong in my ways along with the patience of both my loving husband and my Daimyo to teach me better. From that point I began to learn of the compassion needed to truly gain honor and respect.

For 3 years I developed the people started to truly respect me then my husband died in battle beside me. I dishonored myself at his funeral intentionally. I wanted to join him in death. My Lord, Daimyo Barasume told me I was to wed another the next day. I refused. I disobeyed him saying it was too soon hoping that he would order me to kill myself. He being a wise man saw through my words. He took my lands away from me and banished me to the west for 8 years on this great quest. Thus I did the ultimate dishonor for the love of my gentle giant, my Ryuu. Since that fateful day I have learned and walked the path to regain honor lost. I saved Lord Barasume from assassins that would displace him and use me as a legitimate excuse to lay claim to his title. I have slowly learned what honor truly means, and thankful to all those that have helped along the path I now walk.

I end this with two Samurai quotes about honor. It can be a complex concept for western thinkers because like some other virtues of the code it is slightly different from what the west calls honor.

‘There is one judge of honor of the samurai or Onna bugeisha: Themselves. The decisions you make and the actions that follow are a reflection of who you really are. You cannot hide from yourself.’

‘Do not speak badly of yourself for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them.’
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Book VII

Chūgi

Chū or chūgi refer to fidelity to your clan and superiors within bushidō. Chū means loyal. It is the center of one's mind. The point from which all actions must emanate. It is within our hearts. What is important and matters are carried at the center or within us. This is represented by the character chū. Chūgi is a deeper loyalty that might be translated as devotion or righteous fidelity.

What do I mean by this? I will try to explain first. A samurai knows his place in the world. Closely aligned with truthfulness, those you care about and work with should know that they can count on you no matter what. It is a hard thing to do sometimes. I know I have failed this many times in my western travels. I have failed to be loyal when those around me seem to have lost their faith. I set out to do the right thing but with time our plans collapsed. But this kind of fierce loyalty doesn’t just help others — it helps you create unbreakable bonds because it reflects and communicates how valuable they are to you. Your family, clan, community, and companions.

Samurai are to remain loyal to their superiors. Bushido believes that since the individuals belong to their state, they should be loyal to them. And are always ready to live and die for its legitimate authority, however you must also hold true to yourself first. This must not be abandoned even in challenging situations, where fealty is offered to another individual.

Warriors are responsible for everything that they have done and everything that they have said and all the consequences that follow. They are immensely loyal to all of those in their care. To everyone that they are responsible for, they remain fiercely true. So be loyal to your family, your masters, your peers, and Bushido. The warrior’s way is to be faithful to your family, friends, country, and ideals.

Samurai and Onna-bugeisha must remain faithful to those they owe: the most distinctive virtue of my homeland is loyalty to a superior. There is personal fidelity for all manner of people: the pickpocket group swears loyalty to its leader. Yet loyalty is of vital significance only in the Code of chivalrous honor. Only in the code of Honor does Loyalty assume importance.

The Samurai and Onna-bugeisha serve their principles. One of the core principles is Loyalty. This is why if a samurai is in someone’s service, He remains loyal under all circumstances. Remaining loyal to his lord, A samurai first remains loyal to his principles. A samurai is a proud man. There is only one disputable law for him: The law of honor. Honor comes before everything. Since being loyal is a matter of honor for a samurai, he considers everything before swearing allegiance. Loyalty is the key notion in the code of a knight’s honor. A samurai’s self-respect makes nonfeasance impossible.

I have my own story about loyalty and in fact why I am in the west. In my last battle my husband died at my side. As much as I tried, I could not defend him from the six samurai that attacked us. There were just too many. As his funeral my Daimyo now, Shogun wanted me to marry a new husband the next day. My love for my husband and grief would make me deny him. It was the only time I ever refused a request of my lord. He banished me to the west for a period of 8 years on a great quest to become one with my sword. I had hoped that he order me to kill myself so I may join my husband. He saw through my thoughts. He did this for my disloyalty but my inner principles told me I must refuse. It was too soon for me to bear another husband. I needed time to grieve and, in the end, it led to me saving the very lord that banished me and an imperial appointment here as ambassador. Ultimately, I believe Lord Barasume is proud of me. I leave you with two quotes on loyalty from Samurai of the past.

"Loyalty and devotion lead to bravery. Bravery leads to the spirit of self-sacrifice. The spirit of self-sacrifice creates trust in the power of love.”

"The warrior is always first a servant… The warrior does not serve because they cannot lead; they know that a person cannot lead if they do not serve."
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Book VIII

Jisei

Jisei is self-control or discipline. It means to develop a good character and strong control over your emotions. This virtue teaches you to live your life as per moral standards. Understand what’s right and what’s wrong, and what’s the difference between good and bad. The Samurai and Onni-bugeisha developed self-control and dignity so their peers would fully honor them. They showed no sign of pain or joy but had a calmness and composure that were never affected by passion. This was the warrior's way.

The Warriors also abstain from negative temptations. The wrong and the right are given, and one should know their difference. This final virtue is the pathway to pursuing and ultimately exemplifying the way of the Samurai. No one is perfect nor are they perfect within the code. Self-control is the road you walk to reaching as far as you can go to perfection within these principles. Without practicing Jisei your way will stagnate. Your path will stop, and you will never reach your full potential by following the code.

Self-control in the Bushido code means strict adherence to this Code under all situations, when with someone else and alone. And I would add especially when you are alone for that is when the demons come to tempt you.

Those who embrace great ambition in their hearts have often been individuals of great self-discipline throughout history. Those who possess self-discipline are both fearsome and respectable. If you accompany them, you will learn the trait of self-discipline; if you oppose them, you must prepare yourself mentally.

Some have said, 'True freedom is not about pursuing whims, but knowing how to be in control.' The more self-disciplined one is, the more weight their words carry, and the same applies to their actions and life's path. In a day or two, it may not be evident; in a month or two, it might still be unclear. However, after one year, two years, even ten or twenty years, those who practice self-discipline and those who don't will ultimately be on different paths.

The samurai Shinto Satashi is a prime example of discipline in the history of Kozakura. He is renowned for his superior swordsmanship and relentless commitment to honing his skills. Satashi dedicated his entire life to cultivating his talents and warrior spirit.

Self-discipline is also evident in the personal lives of samurai. They know how to control themselves and not let emotions dictate their actions. This allows them to maintain a calm and focused mindset in challenging and dangerous situations. For instance, samurai Yagyu Jubei Mitsuyoshi demonstrated high self-discipline when facing enemies and challenges. He never let fear or anxiety guide his actions, instead, he maintained a resolute and courageous spirit to achieve his goals.
Looking at the exemplary samurai with high self-discipline, we see that it is not just an individual trait but a crucial factor determining success and greatness in life.

I was born into a noble family that ruled one village for our Daimyo. We were a village that bred warhorses. My father always demanded discipline in our home and how we carried ourselves. For me; his chosen warrior both in battle and in public. This was paramount. My father was an evil man and did horrible things to his charges, and family, but he gave all but one of his daughters a high amount of self-discipline. For that I am thankful to him as much as he hurt me and my sisters, he had a vision for each of us and through his own self-discipline, achieved his goals in what he wanted us to become.

On my own path after becoming a knight I had a hard road to walk. I had to learn the real meaning of the code and not the one my father put to me. I started my path with only his teachings. It took me a long time, with the help of my new husband and daimyo to learn both compassion and self-discipline from the right state of mine. Until that time, I did many evils upon my own people in the name of what I thought was justice. I regret my early days. A 14-year-old with so much responsibility. I made grave mistakes, but they became my lessons as I walked my path and learned understanding.

I will leave you now again with two more quotes about Jisei.

“Do not speak badly of yourself. For the warrior within hears your words and is lessened by them.”

“If you wish to control others you must first control yourself.”
CTP team member