Cryptic Forms for NWN.......III
General discussion of all things NWN
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Cryptic Forms for NWN.......III

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Cryptic set up their forums for the Neverwinter RPG.

I'm following the forums to see whats planned and whats not. How much power builders will have to create their own adventures and possibly worlds. So far I've found some good things and bad. With having to be online and having an MMO style of set up I highly doubt custom content and scripting will be part of the package. However for those that want to learn basic toolset creation it could be a good game to use. Their toolset is called the foundry. I think it will be versitile abet not as versitile as the original game.

If you want to follow the forums the link is here.

http://forums.playneverwinter.com/
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Re: Cryptic Forms for NWN.......III

Post by Winterhawk99 »

theres a rousing discussion on the Neverwinter forums about persistent worlds. Cryptic developers are at least toying with the idea of letting its players make persistent worlds on their servers. My last post was this.

This is the way I'm seeing things now after careful consideration. Cryptic has made a game called Neverwinter. They could have called it The Forests of Cormyr, The city of Arabel, Ice of the dales etc. They chose instead to call it Neverwinter directly targeting the NWN community. Cryptic also specializes in MMO type games which is not lost on the NWN PW community.

They advertised targeting the NWN community’s introduced the foundry saying It's similar to a more powerful version of the aurora tool set. All these things show me they are directly targeting the NWN community (persistent world players, builders etc)

NWN builders are the most advanced amateur game designers out there bar none. No where can you find a design community so proficient in every area of game building collectively everything from AI systems (Jasperre, Orlander), scripting packages (Axe Murderer, Mermut, Gaogeng) Terrain (CTP team, Gavin or 666, Lord of Worms, Lord Rozenkrantz, making placeable or toon content (Estilindes, Lisa ), or storytelling (graewerld, Nereng, Lord Christopher).

Cryptic was very clever in marketing this game to this community who are left with an extremely outdated game on which to build multi-player platforms with. This community now is practically begging someone to build a platform to suit their needs in a more modern game environment. Cryptic seems to answer this call. If Cryptic can get the foundry close to the functionality of the aurora tool set and all it encompasses they will be able to keep this community of builders and players playing and building for neverwinter. Everyone who plays neverwinter will benefit from the creative resources of the NWN crowd. Cryptic will befit with a much, much larger player base, which means a lot more bucks in the bank.

If cryptic doesn't come close to the aurora in functionality they will very quickly disenfranchise the very target audience it has been courting these many months with Neverwinter. The NWN people will leave taking their money elsewhere to wait for that multiplayer engine that suits the needs that they want.
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Sixstringer

Re: Cryptic Forms for NWN.......III

Post by Sixstringer »

I pray that you are right. A steriod injection in the butt is what NWN needs right now. It is a shame that since the game is so old, only the people that have been playing it for many years know that it even exists. I think even NWN 1 being dated would draw in a bunch of new players if people only knew it existed and knew what the game was capable of.

Now, if we can get a modern version of NWN with a little more power and graphics.... we will have acheived Valhalla!
What would really make things a dream come true would be a toolset on the modern version that can convert your old modules to run in the new game.
Hmmm, excuse me, I need a cold shower. :lol: