New Module
General discussion of all things NWN
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

New Module

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Hi everyone,

Our newest member Kruel one is a beginner and want's to learn how to script and design with NWN2. It's not my strongest game so I would like to put together a small team to help him make a small module to learn basic scripting, quests and area design. Anyone up for it?
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Kruel1

Re: New Module

Post by Kruel1 »

Hello all! As Winter stated, im a begginer (as green as you can get!) and am REALLY interested in learning basic scripting and design. I have ZERO knowledge of them and was hoping to find some help on it.

Thanks in advance to any who wish to help, your time is very important and I apppreciate it.

Kruel1

Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Winterhawk99 »

ok if you like I can start a small forum for the project and collect together scripting and building resources for NWN2. Up to you :)
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Jace Salzman
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Jace Salzman »

I wish you luck on this... i would help but i have a lot on my plate right now, and i never played with nwn2 much (at least in the editor). Though scripting i know in nwn2 is "close to the C language" so if you know any C it would probably make it easier for you to figure out whats going on in the scripts.

The only tips i can think of here would be that scripting nwn2 and nwn are very similar (believe they are basicly the same just some commands changed names and there were a few new commands). At any rate if you like i can show you a script i came up with with RDJ's help for a custom ring for nwn, it might help you some.

At any rate welcome to HMC Kruel1.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Shattered Elements Design Lead

Kruel1

Post by Kruel1 »

Thanks for the reply you guys!

@Jace - Thanks for the info. I dont know what C language is, so im sure i dont know any of it :)
@Winterhawk - The forum and project sounds like fun! Sign me up !

Lightfoot8

Post by Lightfoot8 »

Hello,

I also do not know much about NWN2 so cant help much with module creation for it.

As far scripting goes, It is something that you just have to dig into and start learning. There are several tutortials around that ca get you started with the learning process.

_knightmere_ has a Scripting For Noobs package on the vault that he wrote for nwn2. I have not read it, there four can not comment much on it.

The NWN Lexicon v1.69 on the vault is good resource for just about anything to do with scripting in NWN1.

There is also the older version of the lexicon(v1.68)on line. I do not know if the lyceum Primer & tutorial section changed in the last up date. Either of then have valuable information in them. I still refferance the lexicon all the time.

I do not know if NWN2 has a toolset manuel. If it does not it would not hurt to look over The Guide to Building Volume I – The Aurora Toolset Manual by The Builders Project just to get an idea of how all the events tie together.

Once you start scripting there is no way around getting compiler errors, non of us are perfect. It helps to know that the errors mean. Axe Merderer has put together a Compiler Error Messages list that can help you with figuring them out.

The Biggest thing about Learning scripting is dont get ahead of yourself you have to learn to crawn before you can walk or run. You are better off learning how to script a little first and allow that to give you ideas on what to do and try. Then to just walk into it saying "Hello, Im new to scripting, I am looking to learn how to script a new subrace system and death planes for each race. Can someone show me how to do this.". You would not believe how many people make request like that. A lot of the people making them fall by the way side, Just because they do not want to learn to crawl first.

The best advice i can give is to take it slow.

Best of luck.
L8.

Kruel1

Post by Kruel1 »

Great links Lightfoot8! Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of that, I will hede your words about crawling as that is how i prefer to learn,,, baby steps.

I have downloaded the scripting for noobs and will read it "cover to cover". It looks like a good place to start.

Thanks again,
Kruel