The Harvest Moon Consortium

A NeverWinterNights Guild and Player community

This Form is to discuss and post Summaries on current projects

Moderators: rdjparadis, Naphier, Jace Salzman

Re: Design Lead's Desk

Postby Jace Salzman » Thu May 10, 2012 7:07 am

Alright, I posted up the beginnings of a level in the UDK Tutorial thread in this forum. Here I'm also going to point you in the direction of two articles to read and digest. I read them both long ago and have found them to be very helpful in beginning to understand how to optimize what I'm building. Also, they cover a topic that as a small team can be a lifesaver... Modularity. (Thank you Epic Games for making this available to the public we humble beignners had no clue about most of this stuff when we started!)

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/WorkflowAndModularity.html

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ModularLevelDesign.html
Your Friendly Neighborhood Shattered Elements Design Lead

Re: Design Lead's Desk

Postby Jace Salzman » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:38 am

I've ran into a rather interesting glitch (don't know if anyone else has had this issue or not so I'm not upgrading it to a bug just yet) in how Lightmass calculates its indirect light bounces. Anyway in the Lightmass Settings of the World Settings in a level you create using UDK there's a setting called NumIndirectLightingBounces. According to Epic Games' documentation the setting determines the "Number of times light is allowed to bounce off surfaces, starting from the light source. 0 is direct lighting only, 1 is one bounce, etc. Bounce 1 takes the most time to calculate, followed by bounce 2. Successive bounces are nearly free, but also do not add very much light, as light attenuates at each bounce." Basically this means that Bounces after the 2nd shouldn't add much light and shouldn't take as long to calculated. Its basically just adding detail to the world. Sometimes this is worth it... sometimes its not. Personally their Default value of 3 works well enough for me, though you probably won't notice a significant difference between 2, 3, or 4 bounces (unless you get the same glitch I did where the third bounce added significantly more light to the room). All in all it's a nice setting to tweak if you're looking for just a little more detail in your lighting... or a little less.

If you want more information on this setting and other related to the World Settings or Lightmass in general here's the link to the page I was referencing above Lightmass Static Global Illumination
Your Friendly Neighborhood Shattered Elements Design Lead

Previous

Return to Behind the Virtual Iron Curtain