Krystine Vail - The Family Left Behind
Forum for posting in character stories about the people, characters and world of Seirra Na
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Winterhawk99 »

A Letter from Lord Calvin Vail to Lord Martin Vail:

My Son,

I was most distressed to hear the news of Krystine’s sudden disappearance. I am sure that both Jeline and little Allana are beside themselves with concern. Please send them my love and let them know that I will be home soon and I am sure that, together, we will put things aright.

I am sure you are aware of how awkward the timing of this is. I am, of course, writing you from Sundabar. As I am certain that young Krystine does not know the topics of my discussion here, I am sure her departure is unrelated, but it leaves me in a delicate position, as I must assure that the Lovaign family does not see in this some sort of insult. Given that, I will be home as soon as I can. In the meantime, I am sure you will call on your brother Alexi, as he certainly has connections with the mages of Mirabar that may be of assistance to you in tracking Krystine.

I warned you this would happen, Martin, but you refused to listen. You have my trust, son, but do not be foolish enough to think that I do not know how you have defied me when it comes to your eldest daughter. I stood idly by when you allowed her to receive weapons training, over your wife’s quite reasonable objections. I said nothing about the “music tutors,” some of whom were barely more than criminals. And I know that you have let her have contact with your brother and the Damaran witch that is his wife. If Krystine has chosen to run from her obligations to this family the same way her uncle did, know that I hold you responsible for it.

Track her, Martin. Find her. Do not fail me again.

Your loving father,

Lord Calvin Vail

“I see the old fool hasn’t changed any.” Jonathan made a noise of disgust as he tossed the letter back on to Martin’s desk. They stood in Martin’s elegantly appointed study in his manor in Mirabar. Anjayi had never seen her brother-in-law’s home before, but turned away from the long line of books on his shelves to shoot her husband one of her “you aren’t helping” looks.

“I must say that I’m a little shocked that you called us here, Martin. Not that we aren’t happy to help in any way we can. It’s just….”

Martin stood staring into the fire. He did not turn as he spoke. “I know. And I’m sorry about all the secrecy in getting you here. But if Jeline new that you were here… never mind what my father would think. I fear that you are the only one who can help, Anj. And I think you need to be here to do it. I’m certain that powerful magic is involved.”

“Have you asked Alexi to help, as your father suggested.”

Before Martin could answer, Jonathan snorted. “Martin has more real power as a mage than Alexi will ever have. Alexi is the magic equivalent of a soldier who has read all about battle in books but never faced real combat. At least Martin has been outside the walls of Mirabar. Are you still hiding the fact that you are a pretty powerful sorcerer from the rest of your family, brother?”

Now Martin did turn from the fire. “I will remind you that it is your family as well, Jonathan. And yes, I am “hiding” that little fact. Though apparently, father knows a lot more than even I give him credit for, and he is all too happy to let me know about it now. But despite my father’s assumption, I know that Krystine did NOT simply run away. Running away I was prepared for. After all, I tracked one runaway family member down before.”

Anjayi expected a sharp retort from her husband, so was just a bit surprised when he simply nodded, as if what he was suspecting had just been confirmed. Anjayi was clearly missing something, here. “Alright, now I’m a bit confused. Does this have something do with the “tutors” your father mentions?”

It was Jonathan who answered her. “He’s been grooming her to leave. He had her trained with weapons, so she could protect herself. He had her taught music not only because a proper lady should have knowledge of such things, but because if she had to she could earn a living as a bard. He had her tutors teach her other “skills” as well, I bet. And she visited us so that she could see what life was like when you chose to leave the nobility behind.” Jonathan sounded very proud of his brother at that moment.

“You are wrong about only one thing, Jon. I did not groom her to leave but rather to be able to make her own choice. I did my best not to sway her either way. Well I know the price I paid to stay in this family. Well I know the price you paid to leave it. I made sure her tutors taught her the skills she would need if she followed your path, Jonathan. But I also made sure that they always made it seem like it was her idea to learn and that I would disapprove if I knew what she was doing. To her, I remained the stick-in-the-mud,” he smiled slightly as he used his daughter’s phrase for him, “that insisted she learn all the things that a lady of this family must know. The only fun thing I let her do was learn to fight with sword and shield, over her mother’s very strong objections. But I argued that no daughter of mine would be helpless if some day an orc raid was actually successful here.”

Anjayi tried to be as gentle as she could. “Martin, has it occurred to you that maybe she has made her choice?”

Martin shook his head. “She vanished without a trace, Anj. Not even Jonathan was that good when he ran. Something else happened to her. You’re the most powerful mage I know. I’m hoping you can help.”

Anjayi nodded as there was a quiet knock at the door. Immediately, she cast invisibility on herself and turned to cast it on her husband, though he was ahead of her, and was drinking a potion. They both moved to one corner of the room.

Martin looked their way gratefully, then raised his voice. “Enter.”

A nervous looking serving man came into the room. “I’m so sorry to disturb you, my lord, but a rather… strange woman… is demanding to see you…”

The doors burst open and Anjayi failed to hold in her gasp of shock as her daughter strode into the room. Anjayi could not fault the serving man his description. The armor she wore was of fey’ri make to Anjayi’s trained eye. It was painted gold and black, and the helmet she wore was painted black and trimmed with blue. She also wore a blue cloak that was fastened to the armor with clips that bore the Vail family crest – a blue dragon on a white field. Even without that clue, there was no mistaking that confident stride. She walked just like her father. Or, for that matter, her uncle.

Apparently, these details were not lost on Martin.

“Shall I call the city guard, my lord?” The serving man looked aghast at her impolite entry.

“That won’t be necessary Leonard. You may go.” When the serving man had made his rather hasty retreat, Martin smiled very slightly. “Hello Seryne.”

“Hello uncle. What happened to Krystine?”

Story by Malkryad
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon