Out of the West
Forum for posting in character stories about the people, characters and world of Seirra Na
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Out of the West

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Out of the West

Anwan Arseluen was wandering the Northern forest just past the Fey canyon and came upon 3 dead guard from Morzelmore. He asked himself *what are they doing so far from the city* Then he noticed a journal that one of them was grasping and picked it off of him.

There were many entries in the Journal. the Book had many Neferious instructions and reports in it. The book also mentioned the name of the guards leader many times as being that of a certain Tarasarus.

The last entry read:

Invaders now are comming from the west through rock point Humans and their furry friends the dwarves. Find the orb that will keep the offworlders and these new invaders out of morzelmore. Then we shall deal with these new people camped out by Randoms temple, And cut them down like the pigs they are. Humans will get no hold on our city

Anwan read more pages for clues about this dragonkin and the organization called the cunning claw about how they were going to invite human and demi-human theives into their ranks to steal from other offworlders and chase them away and many other plans to destroy the friendships between some dragonkin and the offworlders like Sanser, Lord Valarios and certain merchant factions.

As he was reading Thistos appeared from west. Thristos explained that he heard sounds of screaming and asked Anwan if he killed the Small dragonlike men on the ground. they started to talk when three more guard came upon them and instead of talking attacked the pair. Thistos was sorely wounded but managed to stay alive and help Anwan dispatch the guard. Thistos saw Anwan take some trap making kits and a straight razor off one of the guard along with a stiletto from another. Very unlikely weapons for a guard of the city of Morzelmore.

The pair were suspious of one another thinking that the other may blame them for the death of the guardsmen but seemed to settle their differences. they were about to decide to go the opposite direction when a lone dwarf came up upon them.

Both of them Eyed the dwarf now suspisiously. and the dwarf back at them. Weapons were gripped hard for a moment then the Dwarf yelled out Hallo to you

The Dwarf exclaiming that it was good to find real people in these wilds.

The pair listen to the dwarfs story. The dwarf was a bit vauge but they got the gist of it. 500 years ago a group of Humans and dwarves ventured by ship to the west to find fabled new lands. they infact found these lands and started a colony that grew to 1,000 strong When a red streak fired across the sky. Then slowly over the years several mishaps struck the colony and their numbers dwindled. They could not gain as much as they lost and when their numbered returned to 500 they set sail again to the mainland.

They found Undead In the Great city of Rock point and fought threw them to the area where they were encampt now with but 200 souls that made it to this point. Once they rested they sent out their toughest to scout and found they were surrounded and penned in by minatours and undead wild beasts to the south and an almost impenatrable forest to the north. They then sent out only their best and sneakiest to find a civilization.

He invited them to camp to speak with some reservation. They traveled out of the mountains and through Daiseys fjord to the west until they found the encampment. Answan seemed a bit concerned that a follower of Haakon was leading the colony for some reason. Thistos quietly noted this.

The Leaders Sir Erwin and Burjyee a tough old Dwarf with Thistos and Anwan. The leaders asked what had happened to the mainland. While Anwan asked if this colony were all followers of Haakon. Both parties were tight lipped giving eachother vauge answeres what little was found out while they were together was that the Colony found out foulness had entered the land on the mainland and they were unwelcomed in the dragonkin city. The canyone couldnt support 200 people so that was out too. Anwan and thistos were most vauge about where they came from which drew suspisions but not enough for Sir Erwin to use his power to detect evil. Anwan let them think he was a solonarian hunter.

thistos and Anwan learned that the Colony had made an attempt to the mainland only to find undead and alot of questions. They also learned that the only original member of the colony was the Colonies mage who was out scouting. The Colony was going to make a break through minator lands to Loc Nordith until their scouts found that the elves were gone replaced by some mutant dragon race. They also saw that The Colony was very worried about spending winter in the area with the tents they made out of their ships sails. The pair also learned that the Colony was a mixed batch of worshippers of Haakon, Pelora, Random wronghand, Moradin and clangadin. They seemed a tough resilient lot and managed to brave straight though the city of rock point.

Then Anwan took Burjyee aside. He told her that Loc nordith (Morzelmore) was seeking a secret weapon to destroy the colonist. They would not be welcomed at Morzelmore. Burjyee asked if they could be negociated with but droped the suggestion after hearing the news.

Anwan asked if they would be willing to pay if he could aquire this secret weapon. Burjyee not knowing the full situation and not fully trusting the young elf rubbed her beard. She told him that if he were to get this secret weapon the colony would pay she told him that they had some gold and magic but wouldnt be specific. She also told him that if there was a weapon to be used against him that it would be prudent to get to it first.

Meanwhile thistos told Sir Erwin that Burjyee and Anwan were ploting against them and that they were all going to die. Erwin looked at him oddly and explained that he had known Burjyee all his life and highly doubted she would betray the colony.

Burjyee and Anwan came back. She went to Sir Erwin and they spoke to eachother in an odd slang of mixed dwarven/common that thistos and Anwan couldnt understand.

the Two agreed to pay Anwan if he were to find the orb. They then pressed the two for information on a safe place to hold up the winter. Thistos told them certainly but became very quite when Anwan looked at him ( He gave him the LOOK which made thristos do this ). then Thistos recovered and said, " There's bound to be. I don't know about around here though."

Burgyee and Sir Erwin raised and eyebrow. They talked alittle about the fight to get here and how the great mage tower had a dracolich perched upon it. they saw it in the distance and stayed clear out of its range. At That Thistos went alittle wild dancing around and looking at distant memorys. Everyone stared at him a moment. He shouted out a phrophesy as he danced around, " The future is vague but a storm is brewing."

They told the pair that they were welcome to stay for shelter at least for now but Anwan and Thistos bid their adieus. Sir Erwin parted the meeting and went into the main tent with concern in his eyes. whether about these strangers or of the information they imparted no one knows.

The Tent held only three figures sitting at a makeshift table made of cut log and a stump. One was a Tall older Human well groomed and Manored. the second a young Dwarven woman with a bright red beard. Her eyes held cheer even with the battle scars etched across her face. The last Was and Elven Woman with Amber eyes and silver hair The grey tint of her skin showing her birth of Noble elven stock.

They discussed quietly the event of the Two strangers. A secretive elf and an odd mage.

Sir Edwin: So What we have here are two people with an odd story and perhaps some knowledge of the land?

Burjyee: Aye The elf told me that these dragons are looking for a weapon of some kind to chase us away or defeat us.

Sir Edwin: Also the odd incident when we asked if there was a place for us to settle the Elf silenced the mage.

Burjyee: They seem to at the least be keeping something from us. What about the weapon story?

Sir Edwin: There maybe a weapon there may not be I am not sure from their faces. I Dont trust the mage at all and the elf seemed to be hiding something

Burjyee: When he talked to me alone he seemed sincere however......Sometimes people who want you to do something for their own benifit are the sweetest of talkers. Another thing that puzzles me is they had two distincly different accents as if they were from very different places.

Sir Edwin: *nods* Yes They did speak differently. The mage was not stable I think. The bigger issue is we still have not found out were these people went or if theres a civilized comunity anwhere near. As of now we are penned in between minatours and Undead wild animals and the vales.

E'Calla: That may not be true......I spoke with Giliam the Priest of Random Wronghands temple. There is a small village to the south with some extremely powerful heros from another world.

Burjyee: Another world?

E'Calla: Yes Which means we must be careful if we approach this village even if it can sustain another 200 people. There could be other places has anyone seen this canyon that these two talked about.......Almada's canyon I believe an old local goddess of halflings?

Burjyee: Yes I ventured there in the cover of darkness it is very small no place for 200 people.

Sir Edwin: *sighs* We need more information to see if these people spoke truth. We must also prepair ourselves if they did. The elf seemed to be Motivated by greed. The mage.....I dont know? He seemed to recognize the referances we made to the Dracolich on the White tower.

E'Calla: I would advise the two of you also to wait and prepair also if there is a village near they will find us soon enough I will try to divine some things about the current state of the land. It will take a few days to prepair the spell and it will require a rather elaborate circle. I will find a quiet place to do it.

Burjyee: Aye I agree with the both of you. Ill have Pecory and Sudanan go with you E'Calla for your invocations.

Sir Edwin: *nodes* The group stands and make their way through the camp on seperate errands.

Leigh, Arryk, Merago, and Anwan all found themselves at the vales doing various things; shopping, resting or enjoying the first snowfall of winter. While they were conversing by the Dwarves house they saw a guard running from the lake. The Morzelmore guard tuned just a moment exclaiming, "OFFWORLDERS!" He spits at them and runs into Gnoll territory.

The Adventurers looked after him but a moment then went to the lake. Finding everything normal at the lake they made their way down to the Northern ravine finding the dead guard surrounded by more than a dozen gnolls with many papers laying around the ground.

They fought the rest of the gnolls and collected the papers together. It seemed this was yet another Thief that was using the guard cover to get places. They read the papers.

The papers said that he had found the way to the orb on a wall with runes on it and he had made a map to the deep north above Almada's canyon.

The adventurers discussed wether to go after this mysterious orb of Ulitmate Destruction or not. After discussing it awhile they decided that it should not fall into the wrong hands and started to make their way to the canyon.

They lithely made their way to morzelmore the creatures of the forest not disturbing them. then into minator lands. they bypassed the first maze then fought the minators and the bees to the border of tansu lands. Chosing to go threw the acid trench where some of the meteor pieces fell they layed the minatours in that area low and continued onto the little lake. They went through the cavern and up into the northlands. While on the way they lost Arryk who wandered off and got lost. The three remaining people Leigh, Merago, and Anwan fought their way threw the hill giants and made their way into the Evil fey lands. There they almost died fighting fey and ice spiders but got threw to the borders of the tribelands and rested.

From there they headed east to a small cave where they meet what seemed to be the finest men of the cunning claw getting ready to go ahead. The three ambushed the Dragonkin and a battle started. Leigh went down many times but with the help of both Merago and Anwan's Medications she suffered through the battle and they finally defeated the Cunning claws men.

For a long time they rested reading the various books in the cave then moved on to the Three Mage towers where they met the High Mage of the black robes a dark and evil figure of a lich.

They asked many questions of eachother and fenced a bit with words. While the 4 were talking the ever Mysterious mage Thistos showed up yet again. What was this mage again showing up at the end of a quest? Was he studying the adventurers? What is this mage's motives? No one really knows.

In the end they stuck a deal The Wizard gave Anwan the Orb for a price. The price was that both Anwan and Merago would be called upon to do a service for the mage. They willingly had a geas put on them to be called without question when the time was right for them to pay their dept to the Black wizard. After the deal was stuck and the orb changed hands the Wizard placed a Geas on Anwan and Merago then teleported the party to the vales

Thistos found Mindy and Zaphro quietly talking at the campfire and joined in. They spoke of Tilsauruses release from jail, the few races left of Sierra na. Zaphros quest to find a broad leafed plant with the properties to stop pain, and about a school to the east that may have very old knowledge in it from the times before the catacylsm.

after many hours the three broke up and went their separate ways Thistos with more lore about the world and its mysterious secrets.

E'Calla the older grey elf with amber eyes flipped open the tent flap and walked in. she knocked the snow off her boots and surveyed the room. Sir Edwin was having a tankard of Mead most likely enjoying the Honey beer with Burjyee. The three greeted eachother and they asked the mage to sit and join them.

Sir Edwin spoke first, " There have been a few that found us. This latest...Merago what do you think of him?"

Burjyee thinks a moment and speaks, " Seems a good fellow for a halfling, bit naive but I believe hes honest and trusting. What do you think E'Calla?"

E'Calla starts," Merago brought me on a straight path to this village and was quite helpful. His answers were honest and he was not afraid to help fight when needed. He asked for no reward and I feel we can call him friend. I also think we can trust that he believes what he says even if its not the truth he does seem a bit Naive but none so much as anyother entrprising adventurer. He seems an optimist more than Naive from what I gathered."

"Interesting assesment my old friend. We are interested in your observances of this village?", Sir Edwin responses.

E'Calla is slower in responding this time. Takeing in all that she saw and observed, " The village is small, very small and well defended. A few houses that are walled at the bottom of a valley. They have knowledge and an oversized library for a village that small. There are more guards than actual people there.

I met a Woman by the name of Shana there a human. We spoke trying to gain a glimmer of eachother's natures. She has offered us the use of the library which is quite impressive. It could give us an idea of what we are dealing with in the region. She also spoke of a catacysm that wiped out the populace of rock point and many other things in the surrounding area. She was helpful but reserved as I was neither wanting to give out too much information. I got the impression she was aloof but not cold. Reserved but helpful. She seemed charitable but not overly giving cool to anothers prescence. She boasted that there was a spell on the village to prevent any undead from entering. I know of no spell which could do this unless it was perhaps minor undead. In all I feel this village could be potential allies in the future but I would caution become warm with them too soon. There are too many questions yet to be answered about its people."

Bujyee laughs," Sounds like someone like yourself E'Calla. Sure she wasnt an elf in disguise?"

E'Calla twists a slight smile but says nothing which makes Burjyee laugh even harder.

Sire Edwin smiles warmly then interveens," Ok it sounds like this village needs to be visted again sometime in the near future. Burjyee and I will go when the time has come."

E'calla then states, " Merago and Shana did mention a Keep close by dedicated to haakon and that there were offworlders there. They seem to be in some need and may welcom us if we came. There may be enough room to integrate into this community and to start a new place to live. I would caution against seeming to invade the place. They gave the impression that these people were very needy. It could be more than we had bargained for."

Burjyee responds, " I see well then we have much to do. If any of these strangers come back we will be sure to ask them about this keep and the surrounding area it is in. There is hope we can shelter before winters end and start fresh in the spring if all you have heard is true."

E'Calla and Sir Edwin both Nod and they finish the meeting with a toast and leave to their seperate tents.

It was in the dead of winter that Anwan and Merago came back to the tent camp that was set up. Sir Erwin and E'Calla wrapped themselves up in their cloaks and awaited the arrival of the two seen walking up to them from the west.

Sir Erwin privately wondered wether they had retrieved this orb that the dragon city was searching for if so he would purchase it from the two for a good price. He was also alittle relieved that they did not bring the crazed mage they had with them last time.

Sir Erwin greeted them with news they had heard of a possible place to settle far to the south east. He then asked the pair if they knew of the place, a castle fort dedicated to the name of Haakon, Sir Erwin and many of the refugees god.

Anwan was very evasive with his answer that maybe he knew of the keep but would not say any more on the subject. E'Calla challenged him on that and noted that Anwan was in fact hiding something to Sir Erwin.

They then asked about the orb to Anwan and Merago. Anwan said that he had the orb and that it was in a safe place. Sir Erwin looked a E'Calla a moment then asked the pair if it in fact did what they said it did and also asked if E'Calla could scry it.

Anwan seemed a little offended and told them that that they would have to take his word that it did what was poported and that he didnt trust the mage not to take it from his possession.

As they were speaking the mysterious mage, Thistos, once again came up the road and greeted them.

The coversation then got back to the orb Sir Edwin not agreeing to do anything until the orb is examined and Anwan trying to assure them that it is what he said it would be. Then it happened Sir Edwin looking to purchase it outright got turned on his heels as Anwan told them that he wouldnt sell it but rather sell it to the Dragkin to be used on Sir Edwins people.

This caused Sir Edwin to use his power to detect evil. After sensing all around him for ill intent. He Said he had to confer with E'calla in private for a few moments

While Thistos caught up with Anwan and Merago Sir Erwin and E'Calla spoke in private

E'Calla : a game?

Sir Erwin: yes all for coin no doubt we dont know what this orb does at the moment it could be a rouse

E'Calla : indeed usless we know what this orb does my advise would be to not deal with these people. What was your impression of them

Sir Erwin: only the one is evil, and would take advantage of us

E'Calla : We have dealt in these situations before edwin we either retrieve the orb or not waste our time

Sir Erwin: agreed

When they came back Sir Erwin simply stated that without proper identification of the orb they could not deal further. Anwan told them what he knew about the orb that it could unleash an army of being from another plane to defeat an army. Sir Erwin raised an eyebrow and asked then why wont you let my mage examine the orb?

Anwan seeing he was getting no where came up with a plan and proposed that he take the mage to a secret place to examine the orb for herself. Sir Edwin looked at his mage a moment thinking and then told them that she could go with them but he would personally hunt them down if anything happens to her.

The three tied her hands and blindfolder her leading her out of camp. They walked a long way to the temple of Random wronghand there they untied her and showed her the orb. She scryed it and noded as she studied. Meanwhile Thistos haveing plans of his own had his familiar to try to snatch it from Anwans hand. The bird missed and a heated conversation insued between thistos and Anwan. E'Calla listened calmly to the exchanged and noted many aspects of it.

After she was satified with her scrying they tied her back up and brought her back into camp.

When they returned E'Calla spoke to Sir Erwin on what the orb exactly did. Sir Erwin then asked the three what their proposal was.

Anwan then broke in with his pitch. He explained that if the colony paid him that he wouldnt give the orb to the dragon kin city to use against the colony. Sire Edwin didnt like that idea and said that they couldnt do that however they would buy the orb from him for a fair price and destroy it if the adventurers so choosed to let the colony buy it. He also told the three that The colony would not be blackmailed or pay tribute to people they bearly knew.

The three persisted a few minutes to make the colony pay protection money but Sir Edwin finally getting tired of the ordeal simply told them that this meeting is over. He and E'Calla made their good-byes and left the three standing in the snow. Thistos and Anwan threatened them as they left while Merago stayed quiet.

The three left in the snow discussed what to do next. Merago wanted to go to sanser, Anwan knowing the scope of the city much more asked if Sanser was the one they wanted to go to or if there were other more amicable dragonkin to their cause. In the end they decided to go to Baron Braxton the one figure that seemed to have no ties to either the city or the colony.

Story written by Winterhawk
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon