Pantheon of Sierra Na
Forum for posting in character stories about the people, characters and world of Seirra Na
Mermut

Re: Pantheon of Seirra Na

Post by Mermut »

S’sh
Goddess of Beauty in Nature

S’sh loves speaking “mystically” in Zen phrases, which means other gods and many mortals can’t stand being around her.

Titles: Unknown
Power: Unknown; assumed to be very minor.
Symbol: Anything a person believes her symbol is.
Home plane: Unknown (Probably Sierra Na)
Portfolio: Probably beauty, nature, and Zen; possibly others.
Worshippers: Anyone.
Domains: Animal, Earth, Plant, Sun, Travel, Water.
Favored weapon: Unknown. S’sh never fights.
Allies: Sune, Illamorna, possibly Sussera and others.

S’sh has no clerics, but if she did, they would wear whatever they felt was appropriate.

S’sh often visits mortals, giving them much information but little wisdom. She appears as a tanned elven woman with green hair, wearing a simple brown robe. This may be how she looked when she ascended.

Mermut

Post by Mermut »

Random Wronghand
Symbol: Crossed swords on a red shield
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Portfolio: Battles of all sorts, physical struggle (where you must “fight to survive”), forethought (esp. planning for battles and strategy),
Worshipers: Soldiers, warriors, mercenaries, individual combatants (wrestlers, brawlers, gladiators etc)
Cleric Alignments: CN, TN, in rare cases also CG and CE
Domains: War, Strength, Protection, Fire,
Favored Weapon: Battletalon (longsword)

Random Wronghand, god of battle and war. Unlike many of his counterparts, Random revels in the battle for the sake of battle. He is a wise god and understands that without time for rebirth and growth, there would be an end to war. He hates undead and constructs made for battle; to him and his followers, battle is the greatest thrill in life, a feeling that non-living creations cannot feel. The presence of non living things on the battlefield cheapens that battle. He has been compared to a good natured tavern brawler, choosing to go to war with a smile and a joke then with anger and hatred.

He encourages soldiers and warriors to make plans before battle, but once the battle starts he often chooses to toy with the battlefield, changing the fortunes of the combatants however he sees fit. He loves the chaos of battle, the ever changing battlefields, and the unforeseen effects of the battle’s surroundings. Random’s followers do not involve themselves in the politics of other nations, just as their god does not involve himself in the politics of other gods. His followers are often mercenaries (as were the Cloven Shield) though they can also be simple soldiers, choosing who they wish to fight for (often without compensation, only for the thrill of battle). Random does enjoy a well timed betrayal, a traitor turning the tides of battle or a spy revealing the weakness of an enemy; however, he would much rather see a fair fight between two equal opponents and always makes sure to give the traitor their just rewards in the end.

Random has close ties to Sune, it is rumored that he is in love with her, but none know for sure. He sees himself as closely tied to gods of renewal and rebirth because without battle and death, there is no room to grow. He also sees himself as aiding the gods of destruction and death because through the chaos of battle, death and destruction occur. He has only a few enemies among the gods, the foremost of which is the god Orcus of the undead.

Note: Random teaches that death outside of battle is to be mourned (and avoided when possible) but to die in battle is the greatest fate of all; however, he is said to tell his followers that: “a good death is to die in battle, a great death is to die in a battle that is remembered forever, the best death is to die is when you are old and gray, because then you have also lived to see a learn from battle”. His followers often avoid the normal class structures of some societies because “in the face of the sword, all are born equal”.

However, Random is not just the god of battle (at least not just conventional battle) he also encourages all forms of physical struggle (ie. climbing to the top of a mountain)
also, he does not require that all battle ends in death.

Mermut

Post by Mermut »

The Triad of magic

In The beginning years of civilization there was but one goddess of magic: Mystra caretaker of all magical energy. The Irda a magical race by nature first found the wielded magic. The elves and man grew in their time and learned its use from the Irda. Many of the people started using their magical abilities for the Dark seduction of power and wealth. Others sought to to do only good with magic in helping their civilization thrive. Mystra was torn and heart broken as wars broke out between mages and others using Mystras gifts for naught what they were meant for. Good and evil parctitioners waring unceasingly against each other started to damage the wellspring of magical energy itself. The Goddess became weakened.

Using the Shimmers Irda, Elven and Human magic orders started to war against each other. At that time the newer worlds became battlegrounds the brought forth many new creations from the magics wielded by these people. On Krynn, Irda shattered the crystal that made the kender and gully dwarves. On Oerth, The Flanese guided by evil mages from Sierra na founded the continent of greyhawk and began their depraved research of magic in the blackmoors, Attracting another gods attentions that of Wee Jas the Red lady.

The two gods went to mystra in her weakened state; One to take advantage, One to help. They found The Greater goddess in a trance being torn apart by the magics that she created and let mortals use. Together the Two gods made a pact and went into Mystra's mind. There they made council with Mystra herself and came up with a pact. Solonari would become the God of White magic and all magic used for the good of others. Wee jas would become the Goddess of Dark magic and all practitioners that use magic for their own advantages. Mystra would guide all others and become the guardian of the Wellspring, over seeing the other two deities.

It would not be long before Wee Jas looked to displace the others to become the one goddess of magic, but that is another story.

Written by Winterhawk, Angelhawk, Maddyanne, Mitchue, Baskilisk Cron
Gods of Sierra Na

Mermut

Post by Mermut »

Oghama

Deep within the Outlands, a land of chaotic landscape of indistinct shapeless concepts, in the center of a city that stretches for miles across the land, there stands a library called The House of Knowledge. A man, with an air of obvious divinity from just a fleeting glance, reclines in a comfortable chair within, absent-mindedly stroking his salt and pepper beard. Servants, Deneir and Milil, hustle around him setting down books in front of him from time to time, seemingly without a word of instruction.

Oghma, the Binder of What is Known, Lord of Knowledge, looks up from his current tome, a mystified look appearing on his face as he senses something that reaches him from the deep reaches across the multi-universe. He begins chanting in an archaic language, casting a spell little known among beings both living and dead. A vertical pool of water appears swirling in front of him. The swirling ceases as an image begins to form from within.

A young man walks within a primordial forest of giant redwoods and sequoias. Oghma continues to watch both the young man and the scene that unfolds. The young man struggles in armed combat with great humanoids known as Ogrillions, the battle being hard fought by both sides. In the end the young man lays sorely wounded with the dead Ogrillions nearby. The young man stands and casts a spell, mending his broken bones, and slowly approaches a shimmering crystal with lights surrounding it. The man goes through the lights, lifts up his hand and feels the air. Frowning he says to himself, "Hot. The air is hot here. This is interesting."

Oghma’s brow furrows further studying the crystal. "Strange, it isn’t a portal. What is it?"
The Binder then casts a spell. The crystal glows for a moment. "Still nothing? This is high magic, very high magic! It seems.... almost alive!" Oghma studies the crystal further from his water pool. It's strange light and configuration mystifies him, then watches as the young man leaves. Confused by what he has found, Oghma passes his hand in front of the water, dispelling it. A servant passes him a staff as Oghma gets up and starts to walk. After a few steps he vanishes into thin air.

The path within the woods is almost silent. The rustling leaves here and there mark the places that a squirrel has past chasing another in play. A white light appears and grows to the size of a large boulder. When it dissolves, a man is standing there. The gentleman is handsome for an older man, his garb, plain. He carries himself in quiet confidence. He travels down the path using a staff as a walking stick, looking this way and that occasionally smelling the forest air.

The man comes to a gate at the end of the path, opens it and moves on to a glowing crystal near by. The great red crystal is surrounded completely by lights five meters away, dancing like magical pixies. He maneuvers carefully around the lights and heads straight to the crystal. Warm air engulfs him as he does this. Ignoring the warmth he studies it.

The man casts several spells at the crystal, watching it intently after the casting of each spell. The air crackles with energy but nothing happens. The man frowns then nods. He takes several materials from his robes and somehow fusses them together creating what looks like a small box. He casts a spell on it. The lights start to rotate clockwise. The crystal disappears and pure fire fills the space from where the crystal once. In the center a large hole appears. The man disappears in the hole for a moment, then reappears. "It can’t be!" he says as he reappears. He thinks for a moment, nods to himself and starts to walk. After he takes a few steps, he vanishes into thin air.

Oghma wanders the land for weeks, looking at this world that has been hidden from his eyes since it’s existence. It is by far the strangest that he has ever seen. He views an Elven city among the trees but no Elves walk along the byways. Instead Dragonkin go about their business like Elves normally would.

Deep within the land he spies a small house. An Elf sits by the fire. Griffons play by an outdoor forge with deer around them. "Strange", he thinks to himself. He looks closer at the Elf, his divine sight seeing though the clothing. "An Ice Elf ... why is he so far south from the tundra?"

Oghma ports a safe distance away and takes on the aspect of a scholarly wizard. Slowly he approaches the Elf who stands as Oghma gets within seeing distance. Oghma calls out, "Well met, stranger." The figure slightly bows and lightly places his hand on a katana sheathed by his side. "No need fear an old man who’s lost", Oghma smiles.

The figure nods under its hood, "There have been many lost people of late. Good day to you.” The Elf’s hand doesn’t leave his weapon but relaxes visibly.

"My name is O'deal. Well met again. Might I share your fire, perhaps break bread with you, young man?"

He replies "I'm not a man, I'm an Elf, sir." The figure slowly pulls back his hood revealing a comely Elven youth with pale skin and blue hair. His eyes show a wisdom that belies his apparent age, a seriousness to them not common in most Elves.

"Do you have a name lad?"

The Elf nods,"Riknal Nal-Forrick, apprentice to Niombi Tansu."

Ohgama lies, "I’ve never seen an Elf like you before, Riknal."

"I am a snow Elf. We live in a forested valley surrounded by tundra. My people are reclusive."

Oghma nods as he sits on a stool next to the fire. Riknal remains standing watching him. "Sit lad, you may as well be comfortable". Thinking to himself, Oghma feels that he has so many questions. “What is this place I've found myself wandering into? Who are its people? I've not seen many since finding myself here.”

Riknal sits and responds with a nod, "These are the ancestral lands of the Tansu family. As I said, I am an apprentice. You probably don’t need to know that. This place is Sierra Na. It’s people are gone or dead. Most went with their god, Martec. The few that remained fell prey to the humanoid wars. I was lucky to be accepted as an apprentice or I would have succumbed too. There are few left here. The great city of Rock Point has been left to the undead. The Snow Elves still cling to their valley. Perhaps the Dwarves of the Savanna still haunt their great halls. The Dark Elves live underground, still defending against their cousins, the Drow.

"Drow … Dark Elves? Is there a difference?" Oghma is now genuinely surprised. He then notices the holy symbol of the Ice Elf; a spider pendant done in mithral metal. "You worship Lolth!?"

It’s the Elf's turn to be perplexed. He purses his lips a moment, "That’s the second time I've heard that name though I don’t know what it means. I worship Araushunne, the Weaver of Destiny. Have you not heard of her?"

"Why yes, young man," Oghma gets excited, "I have heard of her. Yes! Thank you, I'm truly sorry, but I must leave now. Its getting dark and the forest is inviting me."

Riknal nods, "As you wish. Beware the Minotaurs of the forest, for they are extremely aggressive."

Oghma gets up, bows to the young man and hastily walks out of view. His next stop: Arvandor!

After answering many questions by the temple guards( “Who are you? … Whom do you wish to gain audience with?) and the various clerics milling about (“Are you here for Lateuquor, the Forest Communion of the Crescent Moon?), Oghma is finally granted admission to speak with Corellon Larethian. Oghma took a moment to study the powerful elven war deity, with his hand always close to his star-forged longsword Sahandrian, who was seated before him.

“Well met, Oghma. What brings you to us on the most auspicious of days?”, Corellon asked, his smile slowly fading as he realized that the abrupt visit was not a cordial one by the look on The Binder’s face. “Tell me then, is something amiss?”

Oghma looked to the creator of the elven race and lord of the Seldarine. He watched the reaction on Corellon’s face when he answered, “I have just been to … Sierra Na, and I have to admit was a bit surprised to first, being totally unaware of its exitence, and second, that Araushunne is worshipped there. Care to elaborate?”

Corellon’s face turned red as the anger exploded in his answer, “I knew that one day we would be having this conversation, but had hoped that it would not happen for a lot longer time.” Then more calmly, “ I have to admit that I am guilty of not allowing the secret of Sierra Na be known to you, but only to protect the love of my life, Araushunne. I could not, no, would not allow for her to be destroyed again. When she, along with Malar and Ghaunadaur, set about to betray me and invade Arvandor, and I had to banish her to the Abyss in the form of a spider demon, where she took the name Lolth, a part of me died. When I found out that an essence of her former avatar was in existence, I did what I could to nurture that embodiment and allow it to grow back into the Araushunne that I remembered. But I also knew that the ”others” would not allow this so I sent her avatar to Sierra Na, and cast what spells I could to keep its location and purpose a secret.”

Corellon looked into Oghma eyes and then asked, “Can I ask that the same be true for you?”

Oghma pondered for a moment and then answered, “Well, it seems that it is now knowledge for all to learn, since I now know of it. But I think that I can “lose” this little piece of it somewhere deep within the Library. I owe you that much, but also know that I will now be watching her every move and if she shows any sign of duplicity, she will be reported and dealt with accordingly.”

Oghma turns from his companion and opens another portal to pass through. As he heads back toward his place in the Outlands, he centers his attention on Sierra Na. “I will be watching you…”

Written By Graewerld

Oghama

Deep within the Outlands, a land of chaotic landscape of indistinct shapeless concepts, in the center of a city that stretches for miles across the land, there stands a library called The House of Knowledge. A man, with an air of obvious divinity from just a fleeting glance, reclines in a comfortable chair within, absent-mindedly stroking his salt and pepper beard. Servants, Deneir and Milil, hustle around him setting down books in front of him from time to time, seemingly without a word of instruction.

Oghma, the Binder of What is Known, Lord of Knowledge, looks up from his current tome, a mystified look appearing on his face as he senses something that reaches him from the deep reaches across the multi-universe. He begins chanting in an archaic language, casting a spell little known among beings both living and dead. A vertical pool of water appears swirling in front of him. The swirling ceases as an image begins to form from within.

A young man walks within a primordial forest of giant redwoods and sequoias. Oghma continues to watch both the young man and the scene that unfolds. The young man struggles in armed combat with great humanoids known as Ogrillions, the battle being hard fought by both sides. In the end the young man lays sorely wounded with the dead Ogrillions nearby. The young man stands and casts a spell, mending his broken bones, and slowly approaches a shimmering crystal with lights surrounding it. The man goes through the lights, lifts up his hand and feels the air. Frowning he says to himself, "Hot. The air is hot here. This is interesting."

Oghma’s brow furrows further studying the crystal. "Strange, it isn’t a portal. What is it?"
The Binder then casts a spell. The crystal glows for a moment. "Still nothing? This is high magic, very high magic! It seems.... almost alive!" Oghma studies the crystal further from his water pool. It's strange light and configuration mystifies him, then watches as the young man leaves. Confused by what he has found, Oghma passes his hand in front of the water, dispelling it. A servant passes him a staff as Oghma gets up and starts to walk. After a few steps he vanishes into thin air.

The path within the woods is almost silent. The rustling leaves here and there mark the places that a squirrel has past chasing another in play. A white light appears and grows to the size of a large boulder. When it dissolves, a man is standing there. The gentleman is handsome for an older man, his garb, plain. He carries himself in quiet confidence. He travels down the path using a staff as a walking stick, looking this way and that occasionally smelling the forest air.

The man comes to a gate at the end of the path, opens it and moves on to a glowing crystal near by. The great red crystal is surrounded completely by lights five meters away, dancing like magical pixies. He maneuvers carefully around the lights and heads straight to the crystal. Warm air engulfs him as he does this. Ignoring the warmth he studies it.

The man casts several spells at the crystal, watching it intently after the casting of each spell. The air crackles with energy but nothing happens. The man frowns then nods. He takes several materials from his robes and somehow fusses them together creating what looks like a small box. He casts a spell on it. The lights start to rotate clockwise. The crystal disappears and pure fire fills the space from where the crystal once. In the center a large hole appears. The man disappears in the hole for a moment, then reappears. "It can’t be!" he says as he reappears. He thinks for a moment, nods to himself and starts to walk. After he takes a few steps, he vanishes into thin air.

Oghma wanders the land for weeks, looking at this world that has been hidden from his eyes since it’s existence. It is by far the strangest that he has ever seen. He views an Elven city among the trees but no Elves walk along the byways. Instead Dragonkin go about their business like Elves normally would.

Deep within the land he spies a small house. An Elf sits by the fire. Griffons play by an outdoor forge with deer around them. "Strange", he thinks to himself. He looks closer at the Elf, his divine sight seeing though the clothing. "An Ice Elf ... why is he so far south from the tundra?"

Oghma ports a safe distance away and takes on the aspect of a scholarly wizard. Slowly he approaches the Elf who stands as Oghma gets within seeing distance. Oghma calls out, "Well met, stranger." The figure slightly bows and lightly places his hand on a katana sheathed by his side. "No need fear an old man who’s lost", Oghma smiles.

The figure nods under its hood, "There have been many lost people of late. Good day to you.” The Elf’s hand doesn’t leave his weapon but relaxes visibly.

"My name is O'deal. Well met again. Might I share your fire, perhaps break bread with you, young man?"

He replies "I'm not a man, I'm an Elf, sir." The figure slowly pulls back his hood revealing a comely Elven youth with pale skin and blue hair. His eyes show a wisdom that belies his apparent age, a seriousness to them not common in most Elves.

"Do you have a name lad?"

The Elf nods,"Riknal Nal-Forrick, apprentice to Niombi Tansu."

Ohgama lies, "I’ve never seen an Elf like you before, Riknal."

"I am a snow Elf. We live in a forested valley surrounded by tundra. My people are reclusive."

Oghma nods as he sits on a stool next to the fire. Riknal remains standing watching him. "Sit lad, you may as well be comfortable". Thinking to himself, Oghma feels that he has so many questions. “What is this place I've found myself wandering into? Who are its people? I've not seen many since finding myself here.”

Riknal sits and responds with a nod, "These are the ancestral lands of the Tansu family. As I said, I am an apprentice. You probably don’t need to know that. This place is Sierra Na. It’s people are gone or dead. Most went with their god, Martec. The few that remained fell prey to the humanoid wars. I was lucky to be accepted as an apprentice or I would have succumbed too. There are few left here. The great city of Rock Point has been left to the undead. The Snow Elves still cling to their valley. Perhaps the Dwarves of the Savanna still haunt their great halls. The Dark Elves live underground, still defending against their cousins, the Drow.

"Drow … Dark Elves? Is there a difference?" Oghma is now genuinely surprised. He then notices the holy symbol of the Ice Elf; a spider pendant done in mithral metal. "You worship Lolth!?"

It’s the Elf's turn to be perplexed. He purses his lips a moment, "That’s the second time I've heard that name though I don’t know what it means. I worship Araushunne, the Weaver of Destiny. Have you not heard of her?"

"Why yes, young man," Oghma gets excited, "I have heard of her. Yes! Thank you, I'm truly sorry, but I must leave now. Its getting dark and the forest is inviting me."

Riknal nods, "As you wish. Beware the Minotaurs of the forest, for they are extremely aggressive."

Oghma gets up, bows to the young man and hastily walks out of view. His next stop: Arvandor!

After answering many questions by the temple guards( “Who are you? … Whom do you wish to gain audience with?) and the various clerics milling about (“Are you here for Lateuquor, the Forest Communion of the Crescent Moon?), Oghma is finally granted admission to speak with Corellon Larethian. Oghma took a moment to study the powerful elven war deity, with his hand always close to his star-forged longsword Sahandrian, who was seated before him.

“Well met, Oghma. What brings you to us on the most auspicious of days?”, Corellon asked, his smile slowly fading as he realized that the abrupt visit was not a cordial one by the look on The Binder’s face. “Tell me then, is something amiss?”

Oghma looked to the creator of the elven race and lord of the Seldarine. He watched the reaction on Corellon’s face when he answered, “I have just been to … Sierra Na, and I have to admit was a bit surprised to first, being totally unaware of its exitence, and second, that Araushunne is worshipped there. Care to elaborate?”

Corellon’s face turned red as the anger exploded in his answer, “I knew that one day we would be having this conversation, but had hoped that it would not happen for a lot longer time.” Then more calmly, “ I have to admit that I am guilty of not allowing the secret of Sierra Na be known to you, but only to protect the love of my life, Araushunne. I could not, no, would not allow for her to be destroyed again. When she, along with Malar and Ghaunadaur, set about to betray me and invade Arvandor, and I had to banish her to the Abyss in the form of a spider demon, where she took the name Lolth, a part of me died. When I found out that an essence of her former avatar was in existence, I did what I could to nurture that embodiment and allow it to grow back into the Araushunne that I remembered. But I also knew that the ”others” would not allow this so I sent her avatar to Sierra Na, and cast what spells I could to keep its location and purpose a secret.”

Corellon looked into Oghma eyes and then asked, “Can I ask that the same be true for you?”

Oghma pondered for a moment and then answered, “Well, it seems that it is now knowledge for all to learn, since I now know of it. But I think that I can “lose” this little piece of it somewhere deep within the Library. I owe you that much, but also know that I will now be watching her every move and if she shows any sign of duplicity, she will be reported and dealt with accordingly.”

Oghma turns from his companion and opens another portal to pass through. As he heads back toward his place in the Outlands, he centers his attention on Sierra Na. “I will be watching you…”

Written By Graewerld