Generic Doors are Here!
General discussion about the Community Tileset Project

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist, Black Rider

OldMansBeard

Post by OldMansBeard »

[QUOTE=Queensilverwing]*Smirks* How many differences can YOU spot?:_glasse:[/QUOTE]

I can see two :shutup:

Post by Guest »

Forgive me, if this has been answered before.

But does the generic doors conflict with the new 1.67 patch? And is there any conflicts if you use the doors with the new tileset haks from Bioware?

I am using the haks together right now, and I haven't noticed any conflicts. Was just wondering if there is any conflicts between the 2da's.

Thanks for the doors btw. They look really good:)

Best regards,

Mortimer Drizzle, Hot-Air Balloon Skipper.
(hopes one day to become captain of an Airship :)

OldMansBeard

Post by OldMansBeard »

[QUOTE=Jreban]Forgive me, if this has been answered before.

But does the generic doors conflict with the new 1.67 patch? And is there any conflicts if you use the doors with the new tileset haks from Bioware?

I am using the haks together right now, and I haven't noticed any conflicts. Was just wondering if there is any conflicts between the 2da's.

Thanks for the doors btw. They look really good:)

Best regards,

Mortimer Drizzle, Hot-Air Balloon Skipper.
(hopes one day to become captain of an Airship :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the posting.

There are no conflicts. We checked in advance. The new tilesets didn't add any new generic doors and neither did Patch 1.67 so that particular 2da didn't change. The same is true of the new tilesets in Infinite Dungeons.

You will only get conflicts if you try to use it alongside an older hakpak of generic doors that hasn't been made CTP-compatible. But we know that Tiberius Morguhn, for example, has updated his MoreDoors hak to V3 to be compatible with ours, so you can safely use his as well if you want even greater variety.

OMB

Post by Guest »

Another question... I know Pasilli's door pack had a certain very useful door, and I don't think it's included in the CTP package... is it? It is a curtain door but made entirely of spider webs. I coudn't find it at least. Has it been removed for some reason? :confused:

OldMansBeard

Post by OldMansBeard »

[QUOTE=Metzker]Another question... I know Pasilli's door pack had a certain very useful door, and I don't think it's included in the CTP package... is it? It is a curtain door but made entirely of spider webs. I coudn't find it at least. Has it been removed for some reason? :confused:[/QUOTE]

It was removed because it couldn't be brought up to the required quality standard. The transparency technique it used does not operate correctly when animated.

Tiberius_Morguhn

Post by Tiberius_Morguhn »

[QUOTE=OldMansBeard;6362]You will only get conflicts if you try to use it alongside an older hakpak of generic doors that hasn't been made CTP-compatible. But we know that Tiberius Morguhn, for example, has updated his MoreDoors hak to V3 to be compatible with ours, so you can safely use his as well if you want even greater variety.

OMB[/QUOTE]

Well, I try to place nice where I can. You wouldn't think so from the CMP thread :rolleyes:

Anyways, better late than never to the CTP forum, so *GREAT JOB* OMB on the doors. Anxiously awaiting the full CTP release.......

Primogenitor

Post by Primogenitor »

Why not wait and add them yourself at the same time? You can add more than 1 hak to a module at a time, yet only need to recompile it when you press OK.

Also, you can cancel the recompile part of adding a hak file without cancelling adding the hak files themselves.

CWebb

Any way to tweak the curtains?

Post by CWebb »

I *finally* took a look at the CTP doors. They are way cool, and they definitely add a lot to the game. One question I had - is there a way to tweak the curtains to give them a slightly different opening animation? Right now, it looks like several rigid slats pivonting aside. Could the two central slats be articulated at about the middle, so the lower part hangs straight downwards while the upper part pivots aside like it does now? What I'm envisioning is an effect like a drawstring is pulling the curtains aside and holding the curtains open. Does that remotely make sense? I have zero experience with 3d tools, so I don't know how complex that would be.

-CWebb

OldMansBeard

Post by OldMansBeard »

[QUOTE=CWebb;7337]I *finally* took a look at the CTP doors. They are way cool, and they definitely add a lot to the game. One question I had - is there a way to tweak the curtains to give them a slightly different opening animation? Right now, it looks like several rigid slats pivonting aside. Could the two central slats be articulated at about the middle, so the lower part hangs straight downwards while the upper part pivots aside like it does now? What I'm envisioning is an effect like a drawstring is pulling the curtains aside and holding the curtains open. Does that remotely make sense? I have zero experience with 3d tools, so I don't know how complex that would be.

-CWebb[/QUOTE]

Yes, it would look better but given the limitations of the way NWN models work, it would be quite tricky to achieve satisfactorily. I have seen an old version of the curtains where this was attempted, but it didn't look at all convincing.

Each of the moving pieces is pleated - folded to give it thickness - so when they swing, if you are not careful, they cross through each other and that can look bad if you have patterned textures. The way that we have done it just about gets away with it but there are some textures that don't work for just that reason.

Then, if you pivot the inner pieces half way down, because the pieces are rigid you will have the top half and the bottom half sliding through each other at the join and you would need to disguise it in some way because the textures will break. I'm not sure how that could be arranged. It's okay along the top - the valence along the top of the curtain is there for that reason!

Basically, the NWN engine wasn't really designed around moving drapery. You can do it to a certain extent with skinmeshes (think of robes and cloaks) as long as the distortions are gentle but putting kinks into concertina folds, which is what you get when you open a curtain, is probably infeasible. Not impossible, just infeasible. It could be done if you don't mind having the model made of a great many small pieces, but the performance hit would be a problem and the time taken to create and debug the model would probably be more than anyone was willing to dedicate. More than me, anyway ;)

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, though ...

CWebb

Post by CWebb »

[QUOTE=OldMansBeard;7339]It could be done if you don't mind having the model made of a great many small pieces, but the performance hit would be a problem and the time taken to create and debug the model would probably be more than anyone was willing to dedicate. More than me, anyway ;)

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, though ...[/QUOTE]

Oh, well. It was worth a shot. Thanks for the explanation. I shoulda known I wasn't the first one to think of it. :)