Babylon Comments
General discussion about the Community Tileset Project

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist, Black Rider

Axe Murderer

Babylon Comments

Post by Axe Murderer »

I've been enjoying the recent screenies CIT or Mask or whatever he calls himself these days has been posting on the Bio forums. Looks wonderful but I do have one comment about it I wanted to share. It has to do with the cap stone on the giant pyramid. To me it looks very odd with such a small cap stone sitting on top of that one tiny square block at the top. Sort of makes it look "leggo" I think. Real pyramids don't have that top most square block because the cap stone serves that purpose. In my opinion it would look far better if the cap stone was slightly larger and the top square stone it is currently sitting on removed so it sits directly on, and spans the majority of, the 4 blocks on the next to the top pyramid "step".

That is all.

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

[quote=Axe Murderer;13378]I've been enjoying the recent screenies CIT or Mask or whatever he calls himself these days has been posting on the Bio forums. Looks wonderful but I do have one comment about it I wanted to share. It has to do with the cap stone on the giant pyramid. To me it looks very odd with such a small cap stone sitting on top of that one tiny square block at the top. Sort of makes it look "leggo" I think. Real pyramids don't have that top most square block because the cap stone serves that purpose. In my opinion it would look far better if the cap stone was slightly larger and the top square stone it is currently sitting on removed so it sits directly on, and spans the majority of, the 4 blocks on the next to the top pyramid "step".

That is all.[/quote]

Good catch. I will see what I can accomplish with that sort of change, fortunately, I think the top/center, is not on a tile border, so it should not be too difficult to adjust that aspect of things.

The three pyramids need some other work still. Things I have been putting off. Unfortunately, I 'centered' them in the group, and it means that a doorway entrance that is 'centered' on the stones, actually hits the side of the tile. So, it probably will not work correctly in game. It's a no-no for a builder to place a doorway at a tile edge, and unfortunately, I did not catch that until long after I had created the entire structure.

I can't really move things much now, except the doorway. And if I do that, it will no longer be centered on the pyramid. Not real sure how to handle that issue.

Any ideas?

Axe Murderer

Post by Axe Murderer »

Well I'm just a lowly scripter so the only idea I can come up with is to make a function FixPyramid and call it in the area OnEnter with a do-once variable.

Personally I'm not a great fan of symmetry. I'd rather see it not centered. Could you do something like this?
http://members.cox.net/axe22/nwn/Pyramid-Door.gif

DM_Mask

Post by DM_Mask »

That would be cool. Would need a custom door, but damned cool. What about centered on a Corner? Like the Midget-doors on raised terrain corners?

superfly2000
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by superfly2000 »

Most of the screenshots are amazing in every way. The video sequence of the demo module i'd like to say something about.

I think way to much is going on. Maybe that is just how the demo module has been built but still all thoose fountains and jumping water. Hanging gardens by all means....but if the green stuff is hanging in your face from the iso-metric viewpoint it aint all that fun....

Summarizing though I must say....this is one of the most interesting tilesets.....

And it came from now-where...CTP hasn't been seen nor heard for a while....

Six
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Six »

[quote=Axe Murderer;13386]
Could you do something like this?
http://members.cox.net/axe22/nwn/Pyramid-Door.gif[/quote]
Something almost like that was attempted, however doors are lit seperately to the tiles by the engine, so when it's closed you just see a patch of the pyramid that's a different colour to the rest. Looks kinda crappy.

Unless a fix was found for that while I wasn't paying attention.

Bannor Bloodfist

[quote=Six;13940]Something almost like that was attempted, however doors are lit seperately to the tiles by the engine, so when it's closed you just see a patch of the pyramid that's a different colour to the rest. Looks kinda crappy.

Unless a fix was found for that while I wasn't paying attention.[/quote]

I think what we need to do is create a duplicated texture for the door, and shade it down some.... but not sure if that would work with different colored suns etc... maybe just grey it out a bit...

There are several things we hope to accomplish with the first patch for this set, and that door / doorway is one of the things that I need to do something about.

I also need to add a door to the djedefra pyramid, as it currently has nothing... either a door, or just a stairwell down, with an empty area transition... not sure, have to work on that some.

We are also fairly positive that as more players get a chance to work with the set, and see it in game, that other issues will be found that we missed. No matter how good you are at searching for bugs, being human, you end up with tunnel vision and miss things.

Babylon Comments

Post by Guest »

If you did OK getting a formmail script up and running you should be able to get a guestbook up and running too. What formmail script and what version are you using?

Andarian

CTP Babylon a Finalist for Best Tileset of 2009

Post by Andarian »

Congratulations! CTP Babylon is a finalist for the AME NWN1 Golden Dragon Award for Best Tileset of 2009!

AME NWN1 2009 GDA Finalists

Bannor Bloodfist

Thank you Andarian. I am sure the team appreciates that we were even considered.

It would be nice if we also won, but even making into the finalist phase is a plus. :thumb: