Ortanic tower
CTP usage questions should be posted here.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist, Black Rider

Ortanic tower

Post by Guest »

Hello, not sure if this is the right place to post this but ill give it a try:) I am looking for someone who can help me with a Big problem. I have a huge lotr module running on the net. This module i am updateing and i wanted to use the ortanic tower but in a diffrent titleset than the one you can use now. (rural) I wanted to have it in Rocky mountain titleset if it is possible? Also is it possible to make it smaler than the current version? I know this might be much to ask but i am willing to give it a shot.

Regards
Christian.

Orthanc tower...

Post by Guest »

This could get really complicated for you. Moving the tile from one tileset to another will create a new hakpak that all your players will need to download before being able to reconnect to your server. I am IMing you to get details.

Lady Abagail

Christopher
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Opting out...

Post by Christopher »

Just so your question does not remain unanswered. The moveing of the tile from one tileset to another is going to be difficult. It requires changes to the .set file and the .itp file of the tileset you wish to move it into.

I believe some instructions are in this very forum (CTP Tech Information). I would use jlens .set editor which the link for can be found in our links section above. You would need to read up on working with custom content. I would also look at the DLA Wiki for further information.

Resizing the tower would be a pain. Not something I would try to do on a Samaritan whim. While I have had a lot of expience in working on NWN Tiles I am by no means a proficiant user of Gmax / 3dsmax.

Perhaps someone else will be inclined to help you in that arena.

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

[quote=Christpe]Hello, not sure if this is the right place to post this but ill give it a try:) I am looking for someone who can help me with a Big problem. I have a huge lotr module running on the net. This module i am updateing and i wanted to use the ortanic tower but in a diffrent titleset than the one you can use now. (rural) I wanted to have it in Rocky mountain titleset if it is possible? Also is it possible to make it smaler than the current version? I know this might be much to ask but i am willing to give it a shot.

Regards
Christian.[/quote]
This tower is currently in at least 2 of our rural sets.

Our Rural Villages and our Rural Wilderness. It may also be in our Rural Oriental, but I am not positive on that one.

Merging this tile with other haks would not be all that difficult, but it does require a .hak update.

The easiest way to do it, would be to copy the tileset.set and tileset.itp from your current hak. Then edit those to add the new tower into it.

Now copy the tower tiles, and textures, and the .set and .itp into a new hak, place that hak on top of your other hak, and you now have only a small hak to send to your players.

Post by Guest »

Ok must say tnx for all awnsers so far, i know i am in a little deep water here, but i am not quite good with hacks, so i will need help to do this. What i had in mind was that i wanted the Dark ortanic tower moved from rural Titleset into the Rocky mountain set. Are there someone willing to do this? I know that players need to Dl a new hack but that isnt a problem.:) Hope someone can help me.

Ragards
Christian.

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

[quote=Christpe]Ok must say tnx for all awnsers so far, i know i am in a little deep water here, but i am not quite good with hacks, so i will need help to do this. What i had in mind was that i wanted the Dark ortanic tower moved from rural Titleset into the Rocky mountain set. Are there someone willing to do this? I know that players need to Dl a new hack but that isnt a problem.:) Hope someone can help me.

Ragards
Christian.[/quote]

You need at the minimum these tools:

Nwhak.exe
nwexplorer.exe
a set editor of your choice.

Open the .hak that contains the tile you want, and find it in the hak with nwexploer.

Now that you have the right tilename, you can actually view the information contained there and find out what texture files are needed and what actual tilenames are needed.

Hint: to make this part easier, since the orthanc tower is a group, place it in toolset into an area. Then just hover your mouse over each of the tiles that are contained in that group. Write down those tilenames, as you WILL need those names. (they are visible in lower left hand corner in toolset when you mouse is hovering over them.)

Now in nwexplorer, view those tiles, (they will be listed under Models)
click the tab that views the tile in ascii mode.
now search for and write down all the lines that say "bitmap = ????"

You need that "?????" name as these are the textures used in that model.

Do that for ALL the tiles in the group.

Now, open nwhak, open that tileset.hak, and extract any .dds or .tga that matches the "????" names from above AND extract any tilenames you found from looking in the tileset. You will need both the tilename.mdl and the tilename.wok, you will also need the tilesetname.set and tilesetname(palstd).itp

Open the new tilesetname.set in a set editor, and add those tiles and textures you exported into it. You will also have to re-create the group entries for that tower group.

Now, once you have all the files you need saved someplace, you can open up the new tielset.hak and add those files in.

You now have a tileset with the tower added.

Note: All of the above are easy to type, but not so easy to accomplish. So, basically, what I am telling you, is that you will HAVE to learn how to do that if you wish to move tiles into new sets. It's a lot of tedious work, and it's very unlikely that someone would be willing to just 'do it for you'.

We can't as we don't have the time, and that tower group is already in at least two of our sets.

Helvene
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Helvene »

thanks

Post by Guest »

Thanks helvene, to be so fast in response to a very simple request, left here a sujestion:

Can someone add this tower, not only to rocky mountains, but also to grass and winter mountains of the same autor, and by the way why not to underdark, can you please guys open a litlle bit your horizons just for a change?

thanks any way

Cheers!:)

Darklight

Post by Darklight »

[QUOTE=DM Abagail]This could get really complicated for you. Moving the tile from one tileset to another will create a new hakpak that all your players will need to download before being able to reconnect to your server. I am IMing you to get details.

Lady Abagail[/QUOTE]

For the life of me, I cannot understand this hak aversion.

There is courting popularity with casual player and there is polishing a rich world, and I think that is the factor which puts folks on one side or the other of this debate. I am not downplaying that both are important types of PWs.

Your thoughts on this?

Elagneros

Post by Elagneros »

[QUOTE=Darklight]For the life of me, I cannot understand this hak aversion.

There is courting popularity with casual player and there is polishing a rich world, and I think that is the factor which puts folks on one side or the other of this debate. I am not downplaying that both are important types of PWs.

Your thoughts on this?[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't want to use more .haks then are absolutely necessary in a mod I build anyway; I'd rather the module stand on the strength of my building skills rather than any visual eyecandy that's added in (at least in the case of models, tilessets, etc). Also, I don't want to go through the trouble of trying to merge .haks either, because that's out at the limits of my abilities. I can do it, but sometime it doesn't work well and I can't figure out why. That's why I'd rather stick with what's in the CEP, and stuff like the CTP (when it's released). I'm working on a module right now that uses the CEP and the CTP doors, and that has enough content to satisfy me.

There's also technical considerations for me as well. I don't have a high-end gaming system, so the last thing I want is to gum it up with .hak stuff that doesn't play well together. That's another reason why I'm sticking with projects like the CEP and CTP, because the stuff is more or less fixed and compiled to cut down on problems. Also, I don't want to build my modules so large I can't work on them in the editor.