Does size matter?
CTP usage questions should be posted here.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist, Black Rider

Post by Guest »

Basically.. it boils down to... Size does not matter

Post by Guest »

Convenience is the thing, really. I use the CEP because it is highly convenient, not because of the quality of the contents (which is a wildly fluctuating thing). I'm considering abandoning my support for the project, however, due to their rather apathic nature. On the flip side, the fact that CEP already is at home on many, many a hard drive does have its benefits.

Post by Guest »

I run a server (SoU, HotU, and CEP only, that gets several hundred hits a day, has over 100 regulars a week and over 50 regulars a day.
I'm going to ask them what they think of such a project (size and quality) as the CTP.
I'll let you know the results.
Shadowglass

DM_Mask

Post by DM_Mask »

Honestly, when its boils down to it I'll use it. With bioware doing very little to improve, and add onto the game, CEP, PRC, and CTP are pretty much gonna be the bread adn butter of my server. (CEP being the butter of course.) I can honestly say PRC right now is uncontested, the most game altering content I have.

I suspect CTP will be about the same, CEP is frankly nothing but butter.

Post by Guest »

how big will it be? i have dsl- and am not worried about the download. as a test, i dl several tileset haks, and put them into 1- (made the 1 hak with mgs's egyptcombo, the rl gothic ones, as well as several others) in short the new test tileset hak was over 1 gig- ctp comparable in size?- i then added it to the mod i work on, (we just use the cep now) and ran a char through as a test.

the results: all of the tilesets showed up properly, and the mod looked better-
however- my test pc- a sorcerer- the spells my pc cast were without most of the animations- the pc would wave the arms, and the results would fire, but not the actual visual of the spell itself. (my comp has just over 4 gig of memeory-virtual and phisical)-i did not touch the spells at all. now i do want to upgrade my comp- its almost 2 years old now, but really i know i cant do it for several months. i also experianced game lag- and that usualy only happens when i visit large, full servers.

graphix use up memory fast- its a fact of computer life- so instead of packaging all these new cool tilesets into 1 hack why not break them up into individual ones. not everyone is going to use all of them anyway. by the photos of the project so far it looks like y'all are doing a great job! i cant wait to see them in game.

hi-there1

Banshe

Post by Banshe »

Hi there Hi there1:

In the interview we said over 1 GB but we do not have a precise figure yet.

As for the composition of the CTP, it is still not decided and we will consider all the possibilities at a later date.

Thank you for your input. Duly noted. ;)

Post by Guest »

If composition is not ironed out yet, I take it the entire thing is still in a stage too early to discuss the impending release of? If this is the case, I might as well shelve a few projects I had in store, because let's face it, if the CTP is not out soon, I will run out of time, period.

I'm a slow developer, and as such time is a resource I cannot spend frivolously. Don't take this to mean your work is not without worth to me, but the fact of the matter is that I cannot wait for it much longer. In fact, I'm considering abandoning NWN1 at this point and start laying the groundwork for my NWN2 project, tentatively named Planescape: Hubris. (Catchy, innit?)

Christopher
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Christopher »

Hey I agree with you! " I'm a slow developer, and as such time is a resource I cannot spend frivolously." I do this project on my free time to. Now I am doing some home repairs and I have kids to take to various extracirricular activities. Luckly several CTP members don't have kids. But we work at what pace our free time allows.

Care to help us out? We have a really great Beta Team :D

Post by Guest »

Ah, yes, I was going to, when you had that ad out for beta testers, but the deadline for that beta testing trainer module of yours happened during a very bad weekend for me, so I kinda pushed the thing aside for the time being.

Of course, I do have 3-5 modules-in-progress, but I think I can spare some time or so.

Banshe

Post by Banshe »

[QUOTE=Dradjeel]If composition is not ironed out yet, I take it the entire thing is still in a stage too early to discuss the impending release of? If this is the case, I might as well shelve a few projects I had in store, because let's face it, if the CTP is not out soon, I will run out of time, period.

I'm a slow developer, and as such time is a resource I cannot spend frivolously. Don't take this to mean your work is not without worth to me, but the fact of the matter is that I cannot wait for it much longer. In fact, I'm considering abandoning NWN1 at this point and start laying the groundwork for my NWN2 project, tentatively named Planescape: Hubris. (Catchy, innit?)[/QUOTE]

My recommendation to you is the same as I made in other posts. Make your mod without the CTP. There is no such thing as a project that cannot be made without the CTP.

If you require certain tilesets, make those areas later. Do the npc's, the scripts etc. Make the areas last. Or make placeholder areas and replace them later with CTP areas.

In any case, we strongly discourage people waiting for the CTP before starting. There are hundreds of things to be done besides area design in a mod.

So, do not wait for us. Either wait for NWN2 or do the rest of the mod first.

The reason I say this is that we cannot deliver the CTP before it is done. So, it will take us as long as it takes us to finish it. Nothing can be done about this and if it interferes with your schedule, find a way to manage your schedule so it does not.

No one should be waiting on us. The CTP is meant to be an enhancement for NWN, not a whole new game. It should be viewed as such. Use it to enhance your world, not to build it.