City of Doors Initiative // Sigil
This is an area for community members to show their custom content work and/or projects or ask for feedback.
Christopher
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Christopher »

[quote=Jacen Saracen]Seriously, what seperates you guys from other groups that I've witnessed is your nearly continuous communication with the community. Many builders have a narrow-minded view that by communicating, they are wasting time that they could dedicate instead to the work they are trying to accomplish.[/quote]
Thank you very much Jacen Saracen! :thumbup: I got sick of the vaccum of information from groups like DLA and CODI. While making CTP an open project has been a topic of discussion amoung us... In the end it's our time. We set goals and aim towards getting stuff done. Sometimes a given set sucks up a bug fixer for months.

Right now we have the most bug fixers we have ever had working at one time. That's all of three of us and OldMansBeard helping out with some really neat tools to speed some of the fixes along.

Honestly, I would love to work on Sigil because it really is a beautiful buggy tileset. But I / We have to prioritize so that we are not vapor ware.

On the other hand... I have seen behind the curtan of DLA. I am left awestruck with what they have accomplished and what you have yet to see. So, in the end while an NDA has SUCKED for them. Steel_Wind's team is like rolling thunder on the horizon. It will blow away all CC that has come before it.
[CENTER]:lightning

[/CENTER]
NeverWinter Nights still has time. When NWN2 does come... We will be ready.
[CENTER]:whistling
[/CENTER]

Primogenitor

Post by Primogenitor »

[QUOTE=Christopher]
On the other hand... I have seen behind the curtan of DLA. I am left awestruck with what they have accomplished and what you have yet to see. So, in the end while an NDA has SUCKED for them. Steel_Wind's team is like rolling thunder on the horizon. It will blow away all CC that has come before it.
[CENTER]:lightning[/CENTER][/QUOTE]This is the downside of semi-open community interaction, soo many cruel teasers! :shutup: ;)

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Sorry, I had to sign a NDA myself. :shutup: But official information is coming down the pipeline to a Bioware Wednesday near you. Soon... soon...

I don't know how much former CODI members can even talk about what happened or what they did as they are bound by NDA.

[CENTER]NONDISCLOSURE AGREEMENTS
:rolleyes:
[/CENTER]

Post by Guest »

That could indeed be the case. If so, I cannot begrudge them for leaving the community en masse. To have to lay Foundations to rest in favor of a DD project, and then have that DD project be shot down, meaning you've given up everything and gotten nothing in return, it's too much to expect of them to bear. I mourn the loss of art assets, though, because there's nothing quite as sad in the world as a thing that's neglected without ever being used, kinda like those shrink-wrapped magazines on the shelf of a comics collector, locked in binders to protect them from sunlight for all eternity. Comics are meant to be read, Maelephants and Yugoloths to be fought against.

Savvy?

Who knows, maybe NWN2 will give us another chance at recreating the wonders of the Planes, to shake hands with celestials, to have tea and crumpets with mad gods and play poker against three-headed molydei from the nethermost reaches of the Abyss. I doubt it, but it's possible.

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

[quote=Dradjeel]CODI does not exist anymore. Whatever happened with the Bioware DD deal decimated what was already a team in dire straits, and it seems to me none of the team members are contributing to NWN anymore in any way, shape or form. There exists some IRC traffic, and a mysterious website, but nothing to indicate any kind of forthcoming release, or even the liberation of the CODI backlog of models, some of which I remember betatesting all those years ago. It has also been stated they have no intent of going back to the Sigil tileset.

Ergo, they're only a "what-if" in the development history of NWN, nothing more.[/quote]

This not quite entirely true, there are a couple of their members left doing CC work under the name of Remington Studios. They are 'adding' cc work to other peoples upcomng releases.

As to what, well, I can't really answer, I have only seen evidence of one particular [NDA] that is coming, but I have been told by a reliable source that other items/creatures and/or tiles are coming in other planned releases for this year. CODI was always a very small team, and small teams have a tough time getting things out the door in such a way as to meet min specs from Atari and Bioware.

[quote]Who knows, maybe NWN2 will give us another chance at recreating the wonders of the Planes, to shake hands with celestials, to have tea and crumpets with mad gods and play poker against three-headed molydei from the nethermost reaches of the Abyss. I doubt it, but it's possible.[/quote]

On this side, I can say pretty much NO WAY. Why? Because NWN2 is an extension of Forgotten Realms, and the planescape stuff doesn't fit with what WotC thinks should be involved in/around FR. Wizzards of the Coast control's the content, to a degree you would not believe. Create something that has more muscles than described in any FR documentation, and it will get nixed by WotC. Same is true for any creature, item, etc.

I know, I know, WotC has other content related to planescape stuff, but they are all 'seperate identities' and WotC believes they need to be kept seperate. IE, FR in FR realms ONLY, Planescape in Planescape only, etc... right down the line with everything they have ever released. You are not allowed to take a character name and description from one series of 'books' and translate them into another realm.

Post by Guest »

Ah, but you misunderstood me. I said, NWN2 might give us that chance to recreate the Planes in their full splendor. We the community are not bound by the same degree as Obsidian. The devoted fan can do wonders if properly motivated, and the NWN1 community has shown its zeal for their craft time and time again.

We are the music-makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.

We've already moved and shaken the hell out of the first game, and there is no doubt, no doubt whatsoever in my mind that will shall not do the same for the second. And there is nothing, absolutely nothing WOTC would do to stop us, provided we don't start blatantly infringing copyrights or making other tasteless things of that nature. It was fan involvement in the game that kept the first NWN on the store shelves for so long, and it is my belief that it is in the best interests of Obsidian, Atari and WOTC to make sure the same development takes place anew.

I'm not asking nor expecting them to give us new Planescape stuff, I'm asking and expecting to be given the tools to make our own. If not, well, there's a lot of barmy cods and conniving cutters in our Community, and where there be a will, there be a way.

Savvy?

Darklight

Post by Darklight »

[QUOTE=Dradjeel]Ah, but you misunderstood me. I said, NWN2 might give us that chance to recreate the Planes in their full splendor. We the community are not bound by the same degree as Obsidian. The devoted fan can do wonders if properly motivated, and the NWN1 community has shown its zeal for their craft time and time again.

We are the music-makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.

We've already moved and shaken the hell out of the first game, and there is no doubt, no doubt whatsoever in my mind that will shall not do the same for the second. And there is nothing, absolutely nothing WOTC would do to stop us, provided we don't start blatantly infringing copyrights or making other tasteless things of that nature. It was fan involvement in the game that kept the first NWN on the store shelves for so long, and it is my belief that it is in the best interests of Obsidian, Atari and WOTC to make sure the same development takes place anew.

I'm not asking nor expecting them to give us new Planescape stuff, I'm asking and expecting to be given the tools to make our own. If not, well, there's a lot of barmy cods and conniving cutters in our Community, and where there be a will, there be a way.

Savvy?[/QUOTE]

Aye, there's a real bonebox rattle from a peery cutter!

I get irritated when WOTC takes something as basic to older D&D like the interconnection of worlds and planes and mangles it to sell more books. Berks.

Darklight

DM_Mask

Post by DM_Mask »

I'll chime in that something like this makes me want to just point at WoTC's CEO and Sream "SUIT!!" at the top of my lungs if only because, I know damned right well, there ARE crossover novels written in the FR setting. It'd take me a bit to think up which one, but I will swear upon anything you like I own a FR book with a kender in it. WoTC Disconnecting the planes is like bioware saying "We're based in Canada, so we only need to make the game in english right?" Just because Europe And Asia aren't directly attached doesn't mean they don't exist.

Likewise, I coudl take a drive an hour or so north(To New York City) walk around for an hour, and cross path's with at least one person for any ethnic group you can name. Looking at the decision from a logical point as well as the History that accounts for this popular product/setting/design/ect I can only come up with one line of code.

Code: Select all

WoTC == F'ing Suits

Darklight

Post by Darklight »

[QUOTE=Mask]I'll chime in that something like this makes me want to just point at WoTC's CEO and Sream "SUIT!!" at the top of my lungs if only because, I know damned right well, there ARE crossover novels written in the FR setting. It'd take me a bit to think up which one, but I will swear upon anything you like I own a FR book with a kender in it. WoTC Disconnecting the planes is like bioware saying "We're based in Canada, so we only need to make the game in english right?" Just because Europe And Asia aren't directly attached doesn't mean they don't exist.

Likewise, I coudl take a drive an hour or so north(To New York City) walk around for an hour, and cross path's with at least one person for any ethnic group you can name. Looking at the decision from a logical point as well as the History that accounts for this popular product/setting/design/ect I can only come up with one line of code.

Code: Select all

WoTC == F'ing Suits
[/QUOTE]

Only a suit can take a well-developed world and remove all the fun stuff that DMs count on for their continuity. bloody corporations, wrecking all that is decent... ;)

QSW

Post by QSW »

[QUOTE]3) that Dragonlance creatures exist on Toril (FR).

One DL creature exists on Toril at the moment that I know of - Emilo the kender, caught in the grips of a planar wanderlust. The major mages of Toril have been warned, and are conducting a planet-wide kender-hunt even as we speak (I can imagine saying things like "Oh, is this YOUR Crown of Horns? I just found it).

Jeff Grubb
Co-Author, Tymora's Luck[/QUOTE]

Seems you are right Mask :P