New mountains tileset
This is an area for community members to show their custom content work and/or projects or ask for feedback.
OldMansBeard

Post by OldMansBeard »

[quote=lord rosenkrantz;39639]Glad to hear that, an area with both TNO features and my buildings gets up to 100-150 Mb of textures loaded (accordingly to the area statistics in the toolset).
A shame you can't walk around with 3d grass on, it greatly adds to the visual impact[/quote]
Oh. I can turn on grass, as long as I walk around slowly and don't pan the camera around too fast. So I know it does look good - at about 5fps :lol:

[quote]Oh well, how shall I put it? I had planned to, but... I need to add some feature/group that allows that, at the moment there is no way to reach the mountain top [/quote]

Eagles! We need Eagles!
Walkmesh material 347: non-walk except to Eagles in flight. That should do it :huh:

s030363l
ctp: Yes
dla: No
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by s030363l »

Lord Rosenkrantz I enjoyed playing with the small demo.

Unusual choice for tile references was there any reason why you chose that style it seems a bit hard to follow.

Have you gotten lots of inputs for what to include or are you planning your own unique features and groups?

How is your neverwinter nights class coming along?

Good to see your still around OMB. What have you had your hands in lately? I also am planning to include the use of CM3 program for the tileset Chandigar and I are trying to finish up.

Well enough rambling, good luck Lord Rosenkrantz and I can't wait to see the actual completed set. Keep the faith and don't let this set die the community needs sets like ours.

Post by Guest »

[quote=s030363l;39663]
Unusual choice for tile references was there any reason why you chose that style it seems a bit hard to follow. [/quote]

Yep there is. Let me quote a quick explanation I posted a while back:
[quote=lord rosenkrantz;38228] While I was messing with terrain/crosser combos, I found more and more annoying the fact that any naming convention I could use wouldn't give me all the infos I needed at first glance. So, toying around with the 16 digits limitation when it comes to file name length (for tiles, it seems to be 15 digits by the way, or the toolset starts working unpredictably), I decided to assign a digit to each corner and edge of the tiles, plus a tileset prefix, plus a numeric suffix that displays the variation # of the tile model. My files ended up being named something like [FONT=Verdana, Arial]RKM__L_L_GWG_02.MDL, which means rkm_ (tileset prefix) + _L_L_GWG (from bottom crosser position, and clockwise, [no crosser], [lake], [no crosser], [lake], [no crosser], [grass], [wall crosser], [grass]) + _02 (variation #2).
You can easily see how it is a naming convention that deliver more meaning than the standard "rkm80_e04_02"-style that I used in the past.
Of course, it only facilitates my workflow, isn't used by the game engine.

[/FONT][/quote]
In other words I assigned a specific letter to each terrain and crosser types, which allowed me to bypass the need of recalling, for example, what "e10" means in terms of terrain corners, and I avoided the risk of setting the tile to wrong values in the set file. All I do when working on a tile is to open the nwnmax import rollout, look at the tile names, and since they give me all informations I need to identify them, I simply pick the needed one. It has been a boon for my workflow.

[quote] Have you gotten lots of inputs for what to include or are you planning your own unique features and groups?
[/quote]Both I'd say

[quote] How is your neverwinter nights class coming along?[/quote]Sadly still working on organizing it, and given that classes are gonna end in about a month for this school year, I'll likely have to leave it for next september

lord rosenkrantz
ctp: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by lord rosenkrantz »

I have uploaded on the vault the first update, which contains extra features/groups (including the first round house), and an improved hak system for ease of management and use (obviously, totally CTP compatible)

Have a look if you like

DM_Mask

Post by DM_Mask »

Note:

Both texture packages and Top hak(Seperate downloads) are required.

Post by Guest »

Your Mountain Tileset is very nice. One builder in our PW though, found some things and had a few suggestions.
Wondering if they will be addressed or adding in the up and coming patch you mentioned when the NWN patch 1.69 gets issued.

[QUOTE]I must agree that I like the way this tileset looks, but I have found a few minor things that might improve on its usefulness.

Firstly, mountain streams will not flow into lakes/rivers. It would be nice if it were possible to have the two actually connect together.

Secondly, no waterfalls. Streams cannot transition from the various heights, which while not a real necessity, the waterfalls add something to an area when present.

Thirdly, no road/trail. I'd prefer a trail myself, just a narrow dirt path that can traverse the "flat" terrain might prove useful. Not necessarily needed, but could represent a common path through the area.

And lastly, might be nice to have a "Trees" tile like in most of the other tilesets to help with merging the edges of one area with the one next to it.[/QUOTE]

lord rosenkrantz
ctp: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by lord rosenkrantz »

Hi Ardimus, I am very busy with other CC work at the moment, so the Rocky Mountains update has slowed down. I plan to focus on it for at least one week as soon as patch 1.69 will be released.

Those requests have been already made, so expect to see the lake/stream/waterfalls aspect having been taken care of with v12. Not sure yet about the trail/road, we'll see what i can do.
Trees will be in (you really should use my vault submission page, not only for submitting requests and feedback, but also to get the previews I publish from time to time), but not in the blocky form of that Bioware rural tileset. Have your builder take a look at the screenshots of the fir trees that are coming up, he/she might like them enough to forget about those awful unrealistic trees ;)

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Aye, we keep a close watch on your stuff. :)

We just didn't know that the trees themselves were placeables or the edge trees.
Thanks for the clarification.