New mountains tileset
This is an area for community members to show their custom content work and/or projects or ask for feedback.
lord rosenkrantz
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by lord rosenkrantz »

Technically, there is no difficulty to make them walkable. I just wonder if they'd make sense, being likely to end up made of weak materials that wouldn't explain why the roof doesn't collapse when creatures walk on it.
It's a matter that can easily be handled upon finalizing the tileset though, at the moment I guess I should speed up the work and get a beta out of the door O:)

Post by Guest »

[QUOTE=lord rosenkrantz;38833]I just wonder if they'd make sense, being likely to end up made of weak materials that wouldn't explain why the roof doesn't collapse when creatures walk on it.[/QUOTE]

The weakness could be handled by scripting easily enuf, it would only need to make it check if the person is standing in the same spot to long and if so they would "fall" into the building beneath them, perhaps making a temporary hole placeable, however, you never know what someone will need in a modual. In other thoughs on walkable terain that is not likely to be needed, it would be nice to have walkable pits or other shear drops so that players could fall off to their deaths and would have to conciously stear around them. It could also be used in a similar way to as droping someone through a roof to make them fall to the bottom of a pit or something similar. I have found it anoying in my so far unfinnished atempts at making moduals that there are no walkable pits and all walkable height transitions are gradual so that I cannot even simulate them with retextured ground cover placables. This has caused me to have to settle for triggers around the edge of the pit that will most likly be avoided by the automatic pathfinding skills of the computer.

Thankyou,
Owrtho

lord rosenkrantz

[quote=Owrtho;38835]The weakness could be handled by scripting easily enuf, it would only need to make it check if the person is standing in the same spot to long and if so they would "fall" into the building beneath them, perhaps making a temporary hole placeable, [/quote]

Sold. I'll make the roofs walkable ^_^

Tristan Kalaman

Post by Tristan Kalaman »

[QUOTE=lord rosenkrantz;38788]Alright, here a couple of screenshots of the native buildings I am creating. What do you think, do they fit well in the tileset settings? I have in mind a slightly halfling-oriented visual style, does the material show it?

[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/lord_rosenkrantz/Rocky%20Mountains/th_mountains_alpha_52.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/lord_rosenkrantz/Rocky%20Mountains/th_mountains_alpha_51.jpg[/IMG]

Some textures are still temporary, like the stained glass window and the cobblestone, but the final effect will be similar[/QUOTE]

They look very nice, however, the chimney looks a bit odd. Looks more like a stove pipe.

How about a round straight chimney made from the surrounding rock?

I like the windows, I like the round doors, but that's going to require a special door?

/Tristan.

lord rosenkrantz

[quote=Tristan Kalaman;38911]They look very nice, however, the chimney looks a bit odd. Looks more like a stove pipe.

How about a round straight chimney made from the surrounding rock?[/quote]

Yes, I was thinking of a stove pipe. I figured that the building was more like a permanent tent with a huge stove in the middle than a real house. A straight chimney variation is however planned, no worries. I'll just add a top cover that would make sense in an environment where snow would be likely to fall.

[quote]I like the windows, I like the round doors, but that's going to require a special door?

/Tristan.[/quote]Yes, a round door that would be placed automatically when painting the house. It's missing from the screenshots as I still need to make it.

All in all the houses weren't actually ready to be showcased, but I guess I felt guilty for not releasing any new info or screenshot in a while O:)

Tiberius_Morguhn

Post by Tiberius_Morguhn »

Nice siding for the house(s), wonder where you got that texture ... ;) :P

lord rosenkrantz

[quote=Tiberius_Morguhn;38918]Nice siding for the house(s), wonder where you got that texture ... ;) :P[/quote]

Really can't remember right now <_<

Thanks for the genericdoors.2da btw :)

Chandigar

Post by Chandigar »

Just as an historical aside...

Umm pretty sure that anything that would live in a hut like that wouldn't have either the technical skill nor need to forge a stove and stove pipe.

A dried mud or brick oven would probably still be technologically out of place but more believable... realistically it would probably be a firepit with hole in the ceiling (smoke rises, gets trapped in the high ceiling, goes out the vent, used by native peoples for a long time)

Of course, thats assuming thats some sort of animal hide/wood structure which is what it sorta looks like, but its hard to tell in the teeny weeny screenshot.

On the other hand, if thats a quarried circular stone building or something, then we're at a whole other level of development and a stove is believable.

Now, of course, if you put in doors with actual hinges, you're definitely in the latter period and the "hut" shape is just stylistic.

Hrm, sometimes being an architect is annoying ;)

If I put that aside, they look pretty cool!

lord rosenkrantz

[quote=Chandigar;38924]Just as an historical aside...

Umm pretty sure that anything that would live in a hut like that wouldn't have either the technical skill nor need to forge a stove and stove pipe.

A dried mud or brick oven would probably still be technologically out of place but more believable... realistically it would probably be a firepit with hole in the ceiling (smoke rises, gets trapped in the high ceiling, goes out the vent, used by native peoples for a long time)

Of course, thats assuming thats some sort of animal hide/wood structure which is what it sorta looks like, but its hard to tell in the teeny weeny screenshot.

On the other hand, if thats a quarried circular stone building or something, then we're at a whole other level of development and a stove is believable.

Now, of course, if you put in doors with actual hinges, you're definitely in the latter period and the "hut" shape is just stylistic.

Hrm, sometimes being an architect is annoying ;)

If I put that aside, they look pretty cool![/quote]

Glad to get an architect's point of view. ^_^

You guessed right, the reason for the hut shape is definitely stylistic in my intentions, to sort of giving it a halfling culture flavour without being too specific (part of the houses will be integrated/merged with the hills, to strengthen the effect).
I believe that I know what you mean by the fire pit, as they were/are used fairly across the world by rather primitive peoples. On the other hand, now that you raised the objection, I am not sure I get what a stove is. I assume that since it requires a decent technological level, it must have quite a specific meaning in english.
What I really really lack though, is some visual DnD lore, as I started roleplaying with videogames and not PnP

In general, the "huts" are meant to be made out of thick wood, metal and quarried stone, with some stained glass for the windows. The roof, don't know yet, but surely a multi-layered system that could include raw animal hides too, saw some useful textures in the game resources

Post by Guest »

I think the huts look fine, though Chandigar's points make sense. The huts look like they would go with a somewhat modified longhouse(seach google if you want some pictures) in my opinion, but thouse were native american structures and not particularly realy made for mountains. Also, as this is a mountain tileset it would be nice to have some castle type battlements and buildings that are so often seen in medevil movies & video games. Those are just suggestions and as it is your tileset you are free to take or leave them. I think the tileset looks great as it is already and will probably be one of the best out there when finaly released.

Thankyou,
Owrtho