Senemenalas' Underdark Tileset
This is an area for community members to show their custom content work and/or projects or ask for feedback.
DM_Mask

Senemenalas' Underdark Tileset

Post by DM_Mask »

[CENTER][IMG]http://vnmedia.ign.com/nwvault.ign.com/fms/images/hakpaks/7750/1239402285_thumb.jpg[/IMG]

Grab it off the vault
[/CENTER]

[QUOTE=Senemenelas]SENEMENELAS'UNDERDARK TILESET V0.3 (formerly Stoned Interior Tileset)

FEATURING:
-high resolution DDS minimaps
-custom loadscreens
-custom area and environmental schemes

**next versions projects**
-water, cave
-raised cliffs, cave
-chasm, cave
-drow city, cave
-auromycos crosser, cave
-living wall crosser, cave [/QUOTE]
[CENTER][IMG]http://vnmedia.ign.com/nwvault.ign.com/fms/images/hakpaks/7750/1239544491_thumb.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://vnmedia.ign.com/nwvault.ign.com/fms/images/hakpaks/7750/1239544161_thumb.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://vnmedia.ign.com/nwvault.ign.com/fms/images/hakpaks/7750/1239544255_thumb.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://vnmedia.ign.com/nwvault.ign.com/fms/images/hakpaks/7750/1239544008_thumb.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Estelindis
ctp: Yes
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Estelindis »

Wow! I've just taken a yomp around in the demo module and I have to say: amazing stuff! Really love the height transitions. The Underdark ecology looks great as well. ;)

Six
ctp: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Six »

*sigh*

Can't the guy post regular screenshots?

:confused:

DM_Mask

Post by DM_Mask »

Dragonstar

Post by Dragonstar »

I'm looking forward to taking a "deeper" [so to speak ;) ] look at this set in the next couple of days.

Six

Post by Six »

*takes a look*

Tileset isn't bad at all (for a first, well, secondish try especially it's pretty awesome). I especially love the cage wall thingys. Only complaints are the way it's textured (walls fading to black at the bottom? Ick) and those massive walls above the "tunnel" crossers that make it hard to see. Walls (especially cave) seem too plain/regular, IMO, but that's just being picky.

As for the screenshots, I mainly meant the crappy PS-added graphics that block the view of the actual tileset. Maybe I'm the only who gets annoyed at them, though.

senemenelas

Post by senemenelas »

Found time to post something :)
1st thanks to Mask for opening this thread!
for the ss thing im sorry about that but it seems every time i have to post em i feel something inside that makes me ps them, i'll see if next time i can keep em cleaner; textures of the walls are supposed to be that way cuz i imagined it wetness coming from below so thats it; for difficult to see lower areas i know its a pain but there's no thing to do about that, i use a doubled raise system, wich means 2 layered floor and standard height transition for tunnels and upper citadel, wich means that for 1st system the deep floor goes down 5 meters while the ceiling remains the same height, for the 2nd system floor and ceiling go together hand in hand, no way to understand wich crosser or terrain is that other than keeping its black upper borders to a standard 6 meters for everything

i posted new little variation in v0.3.1 basically i included cliff edges as standard transitions between upper and lower cave terrain, instead of the smooth tiles i did include in v0.3: those can still be selected with a cliff smoother crosser, result is pretty nice; reason i did it now and quickly is i realised for most of the terrains to come i will work better with cliff edges as default transitions, and another reason is on toolset we can see terrain height variation a little better and avoid headaches and maybe rants to the auther! some door and cave entrance features included as well

i know it aint the easiest tileset to deal with but if you use it and you dont end with a burned brain in the effort of creation i think results will be pretty underdark caves and nice dwellings for your fey'ri and tieflings legions!!

Six

Post by Six »

For the big gap between roof level and the black "space" stuff... What I tend to do is slope the black stuff down to the tile's ceiling, rather than extending vertical walls up to it. That makes it much cleaner, easier to build/play with.

senemenelas

Post by senemenelas »

yep basically thats standard method, fact is i begun tileset with upper citadel terrain and i added lower citadel later, consider i didnt used some gothic arch to link walls and roofs, roofs for citadel are just flat squares, so what you said in this case is the same to upper the black till it meets the roof top, its same thing with flat roofs, once i defined standard height transition for toolset, wich is 5 and i added 2nd layer of the citadel and the raiseable variations of the upper layer, as i tried to explain previously (sorry my english aint that good) i had to keep roof height and lower the height of the floor by 5. for upper caves i created a volta ceiling and there you can notice that i used your method, basically also because its only option, because if you set black high as the higher point of the volta you end with your tile filled with black with all wall edged tiles, and thats not an acceptable option. i wanted high ceiling, so upper caves kept same height value of lower citadel floor, and volta ceiling definitely increased height ( i have 20 meters height on upper and 25 on lower cave, wich is a lot) obviously this means its more difficult to create areas, but on the other side it creates richer environments, what i like is working on height transitions, more than focusing on niceness of models and textures, but thats just a matter of tastes.

what "worries me" is another thing, and thats the flatness of the roof in central tiles, especially in large cave areas:you notice it if you set up a bright lighting in the area, wich is unusual in the underdark but not impossible to find while exploring it: i may have found a solution, wich is creating single tiles with extended ceiling (ex a ceiling of 5x5 linked to a single central tile, with its geometry to match borders and going lower than the default floors, with a more chaotic geometry that simulates cave roofs. probably thats the only way to get beautiful ceilings

senemenelas

Post by senemenelas »

quick ss of lava lake terrain :D