Walkmesh probs
Many tools have been made by community members or 3ds plug-ins made available on the net. Reference to those can be found here and how to use them.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

Chandigar
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Walkmesh probs

Post by Chandigar »

Ok... I get this problem once in a while, and its especially annoying because I usually make one clean walkmesh, then copy/paste/modify it for a lot of other tiles.

I've got a walkmesh where walking at a certain spot causes the char to fly up into the air. I've checked the mesh and everything is welded properly and everything is assigned properly, but the bug still happens unless I recreate the mesh. Any idea why this would be?

mobyksu

Post by mobyksu »

that "popping" is usually a result of part or all of the walk mesh being incorrect or missing. is it happening at the edge of a tile (or edge of walkable area in the tile)? it could be that your mesh, even though made correctly, is for some reason not lining up exactly with the tile. the only other thing i can think of causing that in an otherwise perfectly good walk mesh is if a random polygon or two is set to be nonwalkable in the material id. pathfinding might be forcing the character to try to cross those one or two polys. however, why it starts working again when you recreate the mesh is beyond me. very strange.

Chandigar

Post by Chandigar »

Its not at the edge, its usually in the middle somewhere... and nope, doublechecked nonwalk areas, welding etc.

I may have figured it out though... its usually a fairly steep poly where this happens but I'm guessing that the engine can handle it better if it just happens to be done one way vs another... IE if the subdivide line runs from right to left instead of left to right or something... so its just a fluke that recreating it might solve the problem.

I'll have to run a couple more tests tonight.

mobyksu

Post by mobyksu »

that could be possible, i guess... i've seen the game do some strange things to textures based on how a rectangular area was divided into polys; i suppose similar issues could come up in other areas as well. let me know what you find out.

Chandigar

Post by Chandigar »

bleh... welp, the angle thing isn't as much an issue. I flattened it out quite a bit and the player still inexplicably jumps at a certain point on the tile... yet in another tile, the condition is exactly the same and it works.

Guess I have a couple hundred walkmeshes to replace :P

Chandigar

Post by Chandigar »

Ok, after actually manually examining the .wok files (I know, I shoulda done this earlier) I noticed that the origins and rotations are off on the nonworking ones... so I recentered the pivots (manually setting it to 0 in the z axis) and used the smart reset xform in nwmax with safe pivots turned OFF... and now the walkmeshes work fine. PHEW... saved a few hours of manually replacing those woks and still potentially having the problem :P

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Thanks for the update. I always wonder how the wok's could get messed up like that? If some part of the decompile or renaming?? How does a working tile go down hill so fast. I believe all of these were just taken from original bioware sets and pretty much remixed and retextured.

Good to know! Why did you use the 'Safe Pivots' set to off? Where does NWmax place the pivots to make them safe? It this supposed to help with shadow issues?

Chandigar

Post by Chandigar »

Well, the woks were probably created that way. Usually for complicated woks I'll just make a copy of the ground plane and attach them together then weld the vertices... the main pivot remains that of the first mesh that you attached everything else to. In this case, you need to center the pivot again. BUT.. if you just hit center, it centers it vertically too, so you need to manually set the Z to 0. Actually, I don't think you need to set the Z, but I was testing a bunch of stuff.

As for the pivots, I get the feeling its a typo for 'save pivots'... in that the smart reset keeps all the pivots as they originally were and just resets the mesh... so if you have some bad pivots you need to turn that off to get the pivots reset.

Anyway, its very mysterious... but it works so... FYI.