Michael_DarkAngel's CC work.
Discuss ideas for tiles or tilesets for the ambitious. Community requests here (no guarantee anyone will build it) and show your WIPs.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

Christopher
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Christopher »

My very first CTP project was Xions Coastline and after a few months I threw in the towel waiting for Biowares beach release. I have a LOT more experience then I did two years ago but... UVW mapping was a mess, beaches were not coplainer (bad smoothing errors), The z-axis failing to show shadows under -0.0 worked against this set.

It should e noted that Den of Assasins did make some additional tiles for his DOA BB2.1 (?) set. They were at the wrong heights though... I tried experimenting with the SOU sand texture (yes I used rotate texture) and that looked good for the sand, bad for the beaches.

I would have to spend more time with bioware's Potsc tropical set to weigh in on best practice here.

Good luck

Michael DarkAngel
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Ixion's Coastline

Post by Michael DarkAngel »

To make the 4 terrains involved (Sand, Grass, Shallows and Water) work nicely together at ground zero. There are 42 tiles, not including variations, that need to be added (more missing than I thought :( ). To make the coastline really work like it should the entire rural tileset would need to raised so that water is at 0 instead of -100, and other terrain transitions would need to be considered such as Trees, Raised Grass et. al., not to mention crossers and a dock and possibly a boardwalk.

I haven't built anything with the BW tropical set but I know that's how they fixed the shadow issue by having the ground plane above 0. I just wasn't extremely impressed with the tropical tileset. Others may love it, it's just my opinion.

This sounds like a lot of work :eek:

MDA
MDA
TBotR
"I intend to leave a memory of myself in the minds of others."
Leonardo da Vinci,
disciple of experience

Helvene
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Helvene »

Michael_DarkAngel wrote:Okay, I did look and at first glance I noticed some missing tiles between grass/beach/shallows
That's exactly what I've been talking about.
Michael_DarkAngel wrote:Since I'm doing that, my first question would be what do I focus on first?
I hoped that you already had these tiles :(