Terragen + NWN
Discuss ideas for tiles or tilesets for the ambitious. Community requests here (no guarantee anyone will build it) and show your WIPs.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

Post by Guest »

There's a couple stumbling blocks that smacked me around for a while and had to clear that problem myself that might be useful... Joco built a special launch "under the hood" proggy (nwmax.exe) that is able to 'listen' to gmax and write files. This automatically launches gmax at too. The other possibility is that a non-aurorabase object is selected, nothing exports at that time too.

Primogenitor

Post by Primogenitor »

:_thumb: Thats it. Thanks for the help!

Christopher
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Christopher »

Topic of interest on this... Walkmesh and groups. This was posted by Lord Sullivan.

In short;
Ok I've had a few discussions about tileset walkmeshes and the subject of the discussions was "Can walkmeshes overlap one another... I mean totally?".

My personal opinion is that they cannot. I know that placeables have walkmeshes that overlap on the tiles but I believe that logically in NWN or Aurora engine these two walkmeshes are defined separately... meaning they are to types of walkmeshes so for tiles in NWN the walkmeshes(if overlapped) may cause you to be shopping at Bugs"R"us
i.e. you create a model that is the equivalent to say a 3x3 group but you do not slice it and only give it a single object helper so it is only a single tile that when used overlaps over existing tiles.

Am I wrong or right?

Reply by DLA ThirKreen
Yup, 10m x 10m walkmeshes, period. We've had issues where the walkmesh was nudged over even a fraction of a centimeter and the toolset would barf on us.

Primogenitor

Post by Primogenitor »

Something else vaguely related to this. A question and answer I posted on the bioware CC fourm http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic ... 30#3599811
Ive been playing around with tileslicer and Ive noticed that it can only go up to 32x32. Ignoring all other considerations (groups, cpu, etc) would it be possible to increase this size?

Found my own answer by prodding the plugins. In gmax->scripts->NWMax->Tileslicer there is a tile-slicer.ms file Inside that (its plain text) at about line 677 there are lines defineing the row and column boxes. If you change the 32 to a higher number, say 1024, then save the file. Then GMax lets you enter higher numbers, up to your limit. I assume it actually works, I havn't tested it yet.

Post by Guest »

Ok, here is the workflow, if you want to do it quickly and painlessly:

Create a height map. photoshop, IGES data, whatever.

in gmax: create a high poly plane.
apply a displace modifier to it. pick the bitmap you generated, adjust the strength to desired value.

now for the walkmesh, copy the same plane, but with less segment (20-30% of the visible mesh on each axis)

now, run tileslicer.
apply a walkmesh modifier to your walkmeshes.

Have fun!

advanced stuff: create a hole in your group so you can place other groups inside.