Underwater color shift?
This is the area for questions and answers for all the "How to?" of model creation.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

Chandigar
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Underwater color shift?

Post by Chandigar »

I have some mud textures... on the shore tiles, the mud is dark and remains dark as it goes underwater. In the water only tiles, the mud suddenly becomes quite a few shades lighter. Any idea why?

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I ran into the same issue with Ixions coast line. I retextured them with the SOU desert sand to get a better sandy beach. The shores worked fine but the water only tiles did exactly what you describe.

At that point... well I got redirected to this Webpage project you are looking at now. I had not tackeled that issue yet. I was working on making the beach tiles coplaner to help out with some really bad seams between tiles. I considered using some blends like the roads or grass edges with an alpha texture.

All I can say it that I can replicate what your talking about. I have a few idea's but I was going to get to that in the coming weeks between bug fixing on CTP tiles.

Chandigar

Post by Chandigar »

AHA! Funny story... sort of. I actually noticed this strange little quirk way way way back when I was working on my first tileset, then promptly forgot about it.

When you create a texture, you normally put a tga into the diffuse slot, but the diffuse slot itself has a color. The default is a medium grey (150/150/150, RGB) but while the color you put into there isn't visible, it does appear to control the equivalent of self illumination on the material.

I had resued a bunch of textures from the original exteriors that had the diffuse set to bright white, and those textures seemed to be self illuminated at all times. The new textures with the grey diffuse appear to be lit normally.

If you come across this problem, check the diffuse color!

[edit] the ambient slot also has a color, I'm not sure which one governs the in-game brightness but by default both are normally grey.

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

You know that may be one of the issues I have had with some tiles and darking textures. I thought it was a smoothing group issue but even when I cleared the smoothing group it was still darker then other tiles around it. This is on a verticle surface. Hmmmm the plot thickens.