First Celestial Skybox!
raven280

Post by raven280 »

Wow,
Those are really impressive....would love to see them in game! Can you match the walls of the side of the sky box with the textures of interior castle or interior rural? Or maybe some other interior tileset? I can link pictures of a project that I have no idea whether it is still being worked on or not that uses "ceilings" rather than sky boxes for similiar effect...

http://nwvault.ign.com/fms/Image.php?id=101087

http://nwvault.ign.com/fms/Image.php?id=104283

http://nwvault.ign.com/fms/Image.php?id=104289

http://nwvault.ign.com/fms/Image.php?id=104316

Izk The Mad

Post by Izk The Mad »

Wow, those tilesets are impressive! Could you post a link to the whole set? I'd like to check that out more. See if they ever released a set or not. Or was that pics of someone's module? It would be nice if it was something that upgraded the existing Bioware tilesets. It looks like they apply the floor texture to the ceiling in the tileset. Nice!

I can match the walls with other tilesets. That brick texture is from the Steamworks tileset, I'm pretty sure. I've been playing with some textures from the new city interior. I found several with beams and stucco, and used wood planking for the top half to give the impression of a ceiling. Not bad looking, but I was trying to give the planking on top some perspective, without much luck.

The only challenge with working with these textures is the scale. The skybox blows the texture up quite a bit. The dark stone pic is one texture per side, so the stones are huge. The brick one is 4 textures tiled per side. I may try to go smaller yet, to see how it looks. I'll have to poke through the textures for the other Bioware tilesets and see what's there.

Tybae

Post by Tybae »

I really like the second one. The first one, the bricks seem a little large to be believeable. The best thing about bricks, corner seams are no problem. ;) The corner seams actually make them look more realistic. I really like the texture in the second one too. The brick looks almost real. :thumb:

Izk The Mad

Post by Izk The Mad »

Thanks, I really like the second one, too. The effect in-game is quite cool. I don't know if it would be the same with tileset walls, but a creative builder could use it for the walls, somehow. It creates a massive interior effect.

And the best part of these textures is that they're 512x512, which fits with the skybox sizing nicely, esp. with "snap" enabled in PS6. With a little experimenting I've been finding which ones fit together. I could see quite a variety of things with these. :)

raven280

Post by raven280 »

[QUOTE=Izk The Mad;12169]Wow, those tilesets are impressive! Could you post a link to the whole set? I'd like to check that out more. See if they ever released a set or not. Or was that pics of someone's module? It would be nice if it was something that upgraded the existing Bioware tilesets. It looks like they apply the floor texture to the ceiling in the tileset. Nice!
[/QUOTE]

Hey Izk,
The guy who was working on this is called Hardpoints, and I did talk to him awile back about this project. He hasnt posted anything recent on this project, but I have seen him on the Bioware forums, so I know he is still around. After he had ceilings built for all of the official Bioware interior tilesets, he was going to pass his work over to the CTP for release.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Sc ... ail&id=277

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Sc ... ail&id=283

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Sc ... ail&id=287

If you happen to get ahold of him, find out what the status is on this project. It looks really good, and I would love to see him release it...

DM_Mask

Post by DM_Mask »

BioBoards Info

[QUOTE]Posted: Tuesday, 29 July 2008 07:24PM

I have bad news everyone.

My Main hard drive (the one with the OS, the C: drive) is on the fritz, as is the one up stairs, that I use as a back-up (not including the Laptop which I use rarely), the one up-stairs is making a clicking sound and will not boot-up Windows (C: Drive).

My Computer (the one down stairs) takes 15 about minutes to boot-up Windows (at most, it takes less then two minutes to Boot-up when on the Fritz) also it takes 5 times longer to save/copy data on this drive then the storage drive (E: drive) on the same PC, with read/write errors that corrupt my work so I have to save my data on the E: Drive (the Storage drive).

I have been using this work around, for sometime, but it is getting worse.

So, I have had to order 3 new drives to replace the ones that I have now (one is a spare), this makes threes drives that I have had to replace, in less then two years all of them Maxtor (two of which where for servers with three Year warranty's).

If you remember, one of them was my main storage with all my NWN Data, I lost this one late year, it cost me $1,500.00 to recover the data, I had to wait for the snow to melt (I live in the Mountains)/save the money, then wait for about a week before, the data recovery place had the data ready and then start working again.

So now, all I buy are Seagate Drives with five Year warranty's.

I now, have two USB Seagate 250GB external hard-dives (one is in a fire/water resistant safe, I bet you think I am crazy,... and your right... [IMG]http://nwn.bioware.com/_commonext/image ... n_wink.gif[/IMG] ).

This of course, forced me to postpone, buying my new PC for a year (I don't make much money, I don't care too), which would be much faster then this 5 year old PC (with all these problems), I hope to have my new PC before my birthday this year (sometime late October this year).

But that would be, another topic.

So, I am sorry, if I have not got much more done, but is is beyond me at this time.

I am still working on NWN1.5, but it takes me much longer then it would otherwise, I have been doing touch-up with what, I have now till I get back on tract with the other stuff.

I still hope to get out the Pegasus and Centaurs PC out before the end of this year (I hope a few months) along with all the other stuff.

Well, that's it for now, have a nice day everyone.

Hardpoints out.[/QUOTE]

chaos_theocrat

Post by chaos_theocrat »

It probably would be best, just in case Hardpoints' project is unable to be completed, to continue working on skybox-style interior skies. That way, at least some kind of interior "ceilings" would be available other than the placeable ones in the CEP. I think that Izk is on to something good here. Some smaller bricks would look better, I must agree, but definitely this is an excellent beginning. It's interesting to see folks thinking "outside the box" in terms of skyboxes in Nwn. Such ideas often give Nwn a new look.

Tybae

Post by Tybae »

I saw that post too Mask. Too bad. Tony really wants rideable Pegasi for Sanctum 3. He's been waiting very patiently and was excited when they were close to becoming a reality. Hopefully Hardpoints can get his computers fixed.

Chaos_Theocrat: Well said. :thumb:

Izk The Mad

Post by Izk The Mad »

[quote=chaos_theocrat;12196]It probably would be best, just in case Hardpoints' project is unable to be completed, to continue working on skybox-style interior skies. That way, at least some kind of interior "ceilings" would be available other than the placeable ones in the CEP. I think that Izk is on to something good here. Some smaller bricks would look better, I must agree, but definitely this is an excellent beginning. It's interesting to see folks thinking "outside the box" in terms of skyboxes in Nwn. Such ideas often give Nwn a new look.[/quote]

Okay, okay, I'm workin' on it! :p And I always think outside the box. It's a curse. I do agree there's some real potential with these.

:D Sorry, I got distracted by horses for a bit. I had gotten stuck on the ceiling perspective business amd switched directions. I've attached a shot of another experiment, where you'll see some attempt at skewing the top half of the texture. It didn't work at all, because the sides are so obviously "upright". I know there are a few skies in the CSP that have a top texture. I'll have to try opening one in NWmax and see if I can lower it somehow to create a "ceiling". I may have to post over in the Learning Curve to ask about that (when I'm ready). ;) *Izk warily scans for forum gremlins*

On a side note, that's a shame about Hardpoints' hard drive, and I hope he finishes all that someday. I had been admiring some of his work already: Libris Morris and other fiends. There's so much other great stuff in those shots Raven280 linked to that I hadn't seen yet. I got lost in all those pics for hours! I just found out he even did a lot of the horse stuff I'm playing with. Talk about giving NWN a new look! The man is almost re-inventing the wheel, IMO.

Let that be a lesson to us all to back our stuff up. It sounds like he didn't lose anything, but it was expensive getting it back. When my memory went, it gave me a scare because I thought it was my hard drive, and I hadn't backed up any of my stuff. I now keep a copy on a flash drive, and I've actually considered a small safe myself, which I kinda want anyway for documents and stuff. Much of my free time in the last two years has been spent with NWN, from my PCs to my module, and now skies and horses, so losing it all would just... suck! There's no other word for it. :(

chaos_theocrat

Post by chaos_theocrat »

[quote=Izk The Mad;12203]Okay, okay, I'm workin' on it! :p And I always think outside the box. It's a curse. I do agree there's some real potential with these.

:D Sorry, I got distracted by horses for a bit. I had gotten stuck on the ceiling perspective business amd switched directions. I've attached a shot of another experiment, where you'll see some attempt at skewing the top half of the texture. It didn't work at all, because the sides are so obviously "upright". I know there are a few skies in the CSP that have a top texture. I'll have to try opening one in NWmax and see if I can lower it somehow to create a "ceiling". I may have to post over in the Learning Curve to ask about that (when I'm ready). ;) *Izk warily scans for forum gremlins*

On a side note, that's a shame about Hardpoints' hard drive, and I hope he finishes all that someday. I had been admiring some of his work already: Libris Morris and other fiends. There's so much other great stuff in those shots Raven280 linked to that I hadn't seen yet. I got lost in all those pics for hours! I just found out he even did a lot of the horse stuff I'm playing with. Talk about giving NWN a new look! The man is almost re-inventing the wheel, IMO.

Let that be a lesson to us all to back our stuff up. It sounds like he didn't lose anything, but it was expensive getting it back. When my memory went, it gave me a scare because I thought it was my hard drive, and I hadn't backed up any of my stuff. I now keep a copy on a flash drive, and I've actually considered a small safe myself, which I kinda want anyway for documents and stuff. Much of my free time in the last two years has been spent with NWN, from my PCs to my module, and now skies and horses, so losing it all would just... suck! There's no other word for it. :([/quote]

I know precisely what you mean! A while back, when my old computer went kaput, I almost lost the older version of the CSP, until someone on the Vault was kind enough to help me out and give me a copy of it that he/she happened to have. Since then, I've started saving all of my files on discs so that should anything happen to the copies on my hard drive I still have them someplace else. Plus, on the hard drive itself, I've got copies I use and copies in .zip files as temporary backups (as opposed to the more permanent backups on my discs). So, basically, I've got tripple copes of everything that way. Things go much more smoothly since doing this. :)