Comunity Music Pack? (CMP)

Comunity Music Pack? (CMP)

Post by Guest »

Has anyone ever thought of putting together the best of the best (music) the community has to offer? :slap:

Most of the stuff I hear from the vault is very original or just plain awesome.

I wouldn’t know where to even begin if i where to do a project like that. I might try and put together a list of songs i know of that are around if I have time.

Does anyone have a favorite song they would like to list / link? :thumbup:

Primogenitor

Post by Primogenitor »

There was a thread on the PRC forums a long time ago on this: http://forums.netgamers.co.uk/showthrea ... Music+Pack

I think at the moment in the NWN community, size is not an issue. Most people are on broadband rather than dial-up, or can let something download overnight.

However, since a lot of people dont have the music on when playing NWN, Im not sure how useful this would be.

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

Copyrights prevent most of this from happening.

If the 'music' is copied from anywhere that was a commercial release at any time, the Vault is supposed to delete the post.

Now, IF, you wanted to create your own, record it yourself, convert to .bmu, and upload that, then you could release something like that.

With the way the music companies are going after people now-a-days, it's just not worth the effort to try to use music by any professional musician.

Problems:
1) copyright issues
2) size, not insurmontable, but still and issue
3) installation.. can't use a .hak format, you have to have some way of installing those .bmu files into the music directory.

------------

Now what would be an even better idea is Voicesets! Those you can easily record. Seldom need a lot of sound effects, just a voice, microphone, recording system (straight to hd works fine) and the data on what should be said in what circumstances.

Gawd, what I wouldn't give for some better voice sets!

Post by Guest »

Oh a voice set would be nice... prolbem i forsee is having good recordings. the standard $5 PC mic is mediocre at best. And face it.. not everyone have that heroic (or vilanous) voice for a good set.

Christopher
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Christopher »

Awesome idea, but... Have to be carefull that you didn't include copywrite material. Yes, we all want to include breath taking music from Lord of the Rings and other epic films. That's just not going to make it on the Vault.

Lets not kid ourselves, we all traffic in mp3 files and more. We just cannot put that stuff out in public. It's a slippery slope of temptation and frankely I'll just make my own.

DM_Mask

Post by DM_Mask »

Minor Problem with voiceset's is that CEP adds 4 last I checked, so their be conflicts, unless one wanted to include the CEP ones. They can however go in the .hak files(Unlike music)

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic ... highlight=

Post by Guest »

That’s an interesting idea about voice Sets. I was going to be a sound engineer but I gave that dream up when I realized the market was closed for it.

Also for some of you people that love to debate

A copyright is a set of exclusive rights granted by government for a limited time to protect the particular form, way or manner in which an idea or information is expressed. Copyright may subsist in a wide range of creative or artistic forms or "works", including literary works, movies, musical works, sound recordings, paintings, photographs, software, and industrial designs. Copyright is a type of intellectual property.

Basically by adding pop music to your NWN you are "changing" the particular manner of which the original "idea" was expressed.

Keep the arguments coming; this is a big argument with the movie the Davinci Code

Although you must understand I would never post original music on the boards, most of the LOTR music would have to be cut in the middle because its too slow for a video game.

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

[quote=Shioni]A copyright is a set of exclusive rights granted by government for a limited time to protect the particular form, way or manner in which an idea or information is expressed. Copyright may subsist in a wide range of creative or artistic forms or "works", including literary works, movies, musical works, sound recordings, paintings, photographs, software, and industrial designs. Copyright is a type of intellectual property.

Basically by adding pop music to your NWN you are "changing" the particular manner of which the original "idea" was expressed.[/quote]

Can you listen to it once you have made this 'change'? So far, the music industry has won every lawsuit regards any form of copy / rename / redistribute in another media format.

So, not worth the argument, when you can see front page headlines regarding this almost every day. AND people going to jail for it.

Just to add depeche mode to a game? Not on your life.

But, for your OWN mod, played by you and ONLY you, or maybe within the confines of YOUR home, it's perfectly legal to add whatever sounds or music you like. But once you cross the line and post it to the vault, you are in for legal issues. It would only take one person playing it, that didn't like our, or the mod, or the music, or was just in a hateful mood, and you would be faced with a lawsuit. Simply by calling a tipline, you can get people in trouble fairly easy now-a-days.

Is that really worth the gamble?

Jacen Saracen

Community Music Pack....

Post by Jacen Saracen »

Bad, bad, bad idea!

As it is, we have a cool little underground going when dealing with such things, where we are dancing around the edges of legality. Let's face it, most "custom music" is, to put it bluntly, stolen from movie soundtracks. Having a specialized pack would shine a spotlight on such practices, and I sure as heck don't want to somehow attract the attention of the [FONT="Arial Black"]SOULLESS, EVIL CORPORATE RECORD COMPANIES![/FONT]

Do you?

Grov

Post by Grov »

Just to discuss selection of the music itself and not bother about legal issues I would simply state that by (mostly) using original music made by the community and uploaded to the Vault, copyright infringements will be minimal.
And if any, quickly corrected (READ: excluded from distribution)

So on the technical side, is there a way to create, or is there already one, installer for the music directory?

And how would content be added to the CMP? I.e. selected for distribution?
Top Rated? Most downloads? New content? Themes? Whats your thoughts?