CTP Common Hak (Doors, textures, ect...)
This is for topics relevant to release one only!

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist, Black Rider

Sharona Curves

Post by Sharona Curves »

[QUOTE=Tiberius_Morguhn;8485]
These are hardcoded blueprints in the hak, so you cannot edit them directly. You can place one of the doors and edit it in place which is tedious for lots of doors ...OR... you can "Edit Copy" one of the CTP pallette doors and change the scripts on your copy any way you wish.[/QUOTE]

i can definitely highly recommended if you plan to use a blueprint several times through out a module that you create a copy of your ideal blueprint(scripts added, settings, etc.) so you can simply place the object knowing that all your desired actions will be taken. this will make building much quicker and easier.

this idea does not just apply to doors but also applies to every other object resource(triggers, creatures, items). it does not matter whether the resource is in a hak, is a standard bioware resource, or it resides in your override folder i always build in this manner.

Post by Guest »

[QUOTE=Sharona Curves;8484]besides the norm scripting for doors(open/close/lock/unlock/speak/damage user/etc) anybody ever use some oddball scripting for door events?[/QUOTE]

Yep. Our PW has a full set of door scripts that uses most of the hooks, except for the heartbeat. We leave heartbeat blank. Not all the scripts do anything anymore now that v1.65 and v1.67 enabled nice respawning door scripting, but we have the placeholder scripts there for if we ever want to globally change door behavior across the mod.

The scripts do two basic things ~
1) respawning doors [auto close and/or relock when an area despawns after players are all gone
2) player housing access control [controlled by variables on door instances]

Anyway, all the new .UTD blueprints in CTP are handy, but they [obviously] don't reference our door scripts.

Tiberius_Morguhn,

You may have a couple options. If you are a solo builder, you may want to look into just removing the *.UTD from the CTP HAKs and refreshing your door palette. They are builder-only resources, and HAK contents and file-sizes are not verified by the game, so taking them out of the HAK will unclutter your palette. That may cause other issues in the toolset with broken references, but it's doable. It may also cause confusion on a bigger design team if people have different versions of CTP, however. I'm not responsible if you break something like that. :)

Your second option is to make a standardized version of the doors with whatever doorscripts and settings you like and to put those in a higher priority HAK than the CTP one. They'll still be in your palette, but they'll have all your default scripting and settings for when you instantiate a door somewhere.

I've hacked together a perl script that batch processes door blueprints to add our PW door scriptset to them. It could be extended to adjust other properties of door templates as well. As a result, our PW has modified[updated] blueprints for all of the BW UTD files and is getting the same for all of the CTP ones.

I'd be happy to share the script with you if it interests you. I can generally be found in IRC channel #nwnctp on neverwinterconnections, though I park there 24/7 whether I'm around or not. Stop by there some evening or PM me on these boards if you want perl script source. The script is a simple hack job on my edittable summons package on nwvault, which you may want to tinker with if you can't track me down.

-Dave

Tiberius_Morguhn

Post by Tiberius_Morguhn »

Hey Dave/shadguy,
Thanks for the info. I was mainly trying to help out with the previous questions. I am pretty familiar with doors, haks, UTD, etc:

More Doors ;) :D

Sounds like you guys have a pretty kickass PW. I'm pretty sad in the fact that I mainly mess with NWN to do custom content. Outside of the Bioware main campaign and the two expansions, I have only played two community mods - Eye of the Beholder and Darkness over Daggerford. Even those I have not finished yet. I have never set foot in a PW either. :o

Post by Guest »

What? You mean the toolset came with a game? :shutup:

-Dave

Chandigar
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Chandigar »

[QUOTE=Tiberius_Morguhn;8573] Sounds like you guys have a pretty kickass PW. I'm pretty sad in the fact that I mainly mess with NWN to do custom content. Outside of the Bioware main campaign and the two expansions, I have only played two community mods - Eye of the Beholder and Darkness over Daggerford. Even those I have not finished yet. I have never set foot in a PW either. :o[/QUOTE]

Ha ha so... I guess I'm not the only one then (except I didn't actually *play* the expansions either)! Excellent...

*insert secret club handshake here*