The City of Arabel
This Forum encompasses reviews and discussions of new games
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Re: The City of Arabel

Post by Winterhawk99 »

After the great battle in front of the palace Sir Vincenzo Merdici laid Ava's body in front of Lauriella. She sat down and cried. She tried to have Ava wake up to no avail. In desperation she unrolled her scalpel kit out determined to bring Ava back. Back in a new form.

Her friends spoke calmingly trying to dissuade her. Lauriella gripped the scalpel high into the air to cut open Ava's chest cavity then brought it down to her eyes and threw it as far as she could. As much as she wanted to bring her back she could not. Her higher morals would not let her preform the ceremony.

She picked her wife up stroking her hair and kissing her while the red lady of the crimson spoke. She never even remembered receiving her badge or what was said at the end. Her eyes just looked down on the face of her dead wife. When it was over. Lauriella walked toward Immersea.

Along the way she spied a dire wolf while struggling with Ava's body. She cloaked herself in invisibility and moved on until she got to Sir Perceval's small catalina. She commandeered the craft.
The knight backing away in respect as Lauriella tended to Ava's body.

Lauriella undressed her and put on the moon dress she bought for her wife but a month ago. She combed and made up Ava's hair. Making a reef of moon lilies she crowned her head with it, adding Jasmine and sandalwood upon her crown. Lauri never wept so much in all her life as she tended to Ava. She felt lost in a world too big for her.

When Ava is dressed in her finest: Lauriella carefully and tenderly wraps the body with cloth soaked in perserving oils. It takes her half a day to wrap it properly adding stones to weight Ava down. When finished she takes the knights small craft and set out to the deepest trench in the Wyrmwater.

When she gets there she opens her captains book of ceremonies written in Mulhorand and added to by her own hand. She at first places the book down in front of her and speaks "Deep Sashelas take this body to your arms...….. Preserver her for she is of my own love............ My own heart....... Our souls merged under Sehanines light.......... Now that light has been torn asunder. So please I beg of you. Preserve her from all that would desiccate her body. Let the deep know that she was loved and died a heroin.

Osiris God of the dead, God of souls. take her soul. guide her to her place in Avandor. Let her know that her heart will come to her when my time is done in this mortal world. I only wish to be with you now my Love, heart and soul but it is not to be. I and you must await the day when I too have ended my tasks in mortal life. Osiris lead her let her know that I will never forget her and wait my time.

Lauriella wipes her face, "I'm starting to ramble."

Opening the book she now starts the traditional ceremony of the dead as said by captains that have lost sailors for over a thousand years. When complete she picks up her wife and kisses her death shroud one last time. Smells the scent of her perfume. Lauriella gently places Ava in the water and watches her sink from view.

She watches after the water till the stars come out. Selune is waning. Soon enough it will be time for the reflection. She looks up at the stars and moon, "I. I of no import to the greater scheme yet have suffered such tragedy. I have lost my daughter of a few weeks. A wife I only knew a few months. My husband a fugitive. Yet I have kept your laws. I have never made an undead, controlled undead, I have never taken necrotic form. Yet you heap the wounds of the soul upon me always. Am I so evil in your eyes Lady navigator that you would do this disservice to me yet again.

My soul is broken. My heart is rend asunder. My soul is torn in two. I no longer know what to do?

She drops down and sits there anchored above the trench most of the night. When morning comes she sails back to the knight that let her borrow the small craft. She hands him a bag of old coins and leaves for Arabel to find some worth in herself and her goddess again.
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella goes to her apartment in Immersea. She must take a few days to travel to Waterdeep. She needs to inform Ava's parents of her death. Ava's parents own an Inn there. Lauri has the name and their names. A ship captain's duty is to inform the parents of a death. She figures it must be the same for a matriarch of an elven family even with no memories of her childhood in Evermeet.

She feels great trepidation to going. She had never lost a man before. She never went through the process of informing a husband, wife, or parents of loss. Her own grief at the loss of Ava making things all the more difficult. Looking up to the ceiling she searches for the words she will say. she finds nothing to guide her thoughts.

Zard lies on the bed moaning from working on the sea. It's not different from any other hard work except sailors use different muscles. Muscles land people never really developed. The constant swimming making things more difficult for him. Zard's angry development and blind actions worry Lauriella. She thinks to herself, 'A priest should know better than being so quick to react.' She knows she must break him. Break his body down until he has nothing left to give. She has lost one mate. She is determined to make a man of Zard that is not rash and quick to anger. She will not loose another. She tires him a grueling work out every day until he cannot think to be angry she will eventually calm the beast within.

She sits down on the bed looking around her. There's small table in front of her she uses as a desk. The room is cramped and crammed with charts, instruments, a small library of necromancy and demonology reference books, uniforms, files, and small curiosities from her past she doesnt know much about.

Noticing a curious bronze badge she studies it. It is slightly out of place. Turned so it is slightly skewed from its proper place. She looks at Zard and shakes her head. She picks it up looking at the words engraved on the back, while thinking about anyone else that was in this room since the small elven family rented it. She exclaims, "Wonder where Nyx got her ideas from. Hell's I don't even remember anything having to do with this like so much of my past life."

Zard stirs. She looks over at him, "Better get your rest, husband. I told Lloyd to work you harder tomorrow." Zard turns his back to her and moans.

Lauriella takes the lock she took from Ava's hair and gets a small leather kit out. She makes a small cup and sews a hoop to it. then she places the end of the hair in the cup and sews it shut. Taking a small silver necklace chain she hoops it through the loop and closes the clasps. She then glues it to Ava's letter and sticks everything in a scroll tube. She thinks about it a while and takes the letter back out. Ava's moon elven parents are commoners like her. A scroll tube is not needed. She gently places it in her pack.

She takes a dress uniform out and makes sure its spotless and free from lint packing it next. then she takes all of Ava's things she retrieved from the Crimson. Armor, Sword, other things. She lays everything out on the floor. searching for the one memento she will keep something...…..She spy's the simple dress she first saw her in that night at the faceless. The night that Drak walked in on them immediately realizing one of Lauriella's problems that her personality can change drastically by what she wears.

She picks up the dress and takes a deep whiff of it. Ava's smell though muted still remains upon the garment. She decides to keep it. It will remind her of the woman who turned her eyes from another even if only momentarily. Lauriella speaks again, "What am I to do now Alluin?"

All of Ava's things. Her great sword her armor and other clothes Lauri packs up. She also puts the fortune in gems that she gave Ava in the packs. She doesn't need them. Her parents should have them since Lauri already has a fortune in gemstones. She packs all the other of Ava's things.

After which she turns to her husband, "I am going to waterdeep. I'll be using a phantom steed to make the trip that much faster. Given Lloyd a workout routine for you. Follow it to the letter Zard. I'll make a sailor out of you yet and you will learn to have patience."

She kisses him on the cheek, "Should be making me way back by friday night."

She takes some very old spell books and an old scroll tube out of her own supplies. Leaving the apartment and the city of Immersea. The fastest way to Waterdeep is the land route so she must travel by horse. Something she hasn't done in over 20 years, yet she started out a farm girl and know enough to be competent to ride even if not remembering.

Once outside the city proper she throws a horse femur on the ground. Opening her scroll tube she finds the right spell. She reads it while motioning with her free hand. As the scroll burns off bones come up from the ground. They form the skeleton of a horse. After all the bones connect ectoplasm forms around the them as Lauriella shapes it. The ghostly substance solidifies to form a black horse with a grey mane. Its feet disappearing an inch or two from the ground in insubstantial hooves. The spell is called Phantom steed.

Lauriella places all the packs upon the horse and mounts up. At her level of training the horse can travel land, sand or muddy ground as if it were on a road and four times the speed of a normal horse. She heads to Waterdeep as fast as the horse can carry her. Only stopping to take her bearings with sextet and watch.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella gets to Waterdeep quickly on her phantom steed and takes an inn room near the docks where she is comfortable. She has never been to the great port before to her knowledge and the western sea people are slightly different though she does spy some sun elven among the throngs of sailors. More than she would see along the ports of the inner sea.

Stowing all of Ava's things in the room she waits till midnight and heads to the inn that Her wife's parents own deeper in the city near the eastern gate. She wears her dress uniform with her port pins, Her medal of Valor and her new badge as a heroin of Arabel. She didn't want to wear that particular badge but It is her dress uniform and she tends to follow regulations on these things.

As she walks some sailors salute her, recognizing rank and pins. She quickly recognizes them whether they be of some countries navy or another merchant marine.

She walks into the in to see a Moon elven serving customers at the bar. There a young woman no more than 100 years waiting on tables. Lauriella studies her a moment and the similarities to Ava's face. It must be her sister, Aleana. She turns her attention to the barkeep. He's older than her perhaps 2-220s with blonde hair and bright blue eyes with gold flakes in them. She walks up to the bar and sits.

The man looks up at her, "Good eve to you captain. Bar's closing down in a 1/2 hour its last call. What you having?

"Whiskey, please. Three fingers with ice if you be having it?"

"I got ice." He takes out a glass and puts four cubes of ice in it. Then pours whiskey till the glass is half full.

He points to the medal of Valor, "Don't see too many of those around and not to many captains in dress."

She nods to him, "Led a fleet of galleons out of a hurricane some twenty-twenty one year ago. As for the dress uniform," She pauses, "Duty to preform."

The barkeep looks at the strain of her face and shakes his head, "Someone done fell of the boat or got themselves the black blood? Sorry to hear. Sailing, its not the easiest of livings. Always someone passes here and there."

Lauriella nods and sips her whiskey. when she puts her glass down she asks, "You're name Lewellen Selakiir?"

The bartender nods, "That's me. The wife and I own the inn. Our daughter tends tables and works with us. Have another daughter. She left. Don't know why."

Lauriella nods, "I have a letter for you then." She takes Ava's letter out and slides it over to him.

He looks at it in wonder, "Who would be sending me a letter. Haven't had much but bills these days." The letter has no address its sealed with a plain wax seal. He reads the letter and looks up to her. I better go get the wife but first he shouts out, "BAR IS CLOSED YOU LOT! GET GOING FAMILY BUSINESS!, You stay right here captain."

She gives him a nod.

The young girl waiting tables turns and he motions her to the back. Lauriella is left alone. She takes a sip of her whiskey and sets the glass down on the table. Looking at her hand she sees it's shaking.

A smallish older female moon elf comes out. She's barely 5 ft and blonde much like her husband. She is furious stomping up to her. Lauriella comes to attention. The husband makes his way more slowly behind her as if gauging what the situation might bring. The daughter is behind him crying leaning against an open doorway.

The wife points to the letter, "This you! You this Lauriella!"

Lauri meets the woman's eyes with compassion and sorrow, "Yes, Ma'am I am, she."

"How old are you Captain!"

"Hundred-seventy cycles."

The mother suddenly slaps her as hard as she can. Lauri feels a tooth loosen and the mothers nails rake the side of her face. She turns her head and brings out a handkerchief. to clean the blood from the corner of her mouth while Ava's Mother raves at her, "You're the one who took my baby! I revile you! She was a child and You! You are a hundred-seventy! Damn Sun elves think you can do anything you want! So, You were her matriarch and you could not protect her! Tell me Captain. Tell me now how you failed her!

"We only married two moon ago. I.........."

The woman slaps her again. Lauriella takes it. At this time the husband decides to do something he grabs his wife round the waist, "That will be enough good wife. Go to the back. I'll speak to the captain."

"No let me go! I want to know everything and how this bitch failed in her duties to her family. Lewellen physically picks Ava's mother up as she struggles. Before he can get full control of her she spits in Lauriella's face. Lewellen takes her to the back. Aleana follows them.

After a moment he comes back and goes behind the bar again, "Sit down Captain. I would like to know what happened to my daughter."

She wipes her face off and sits down at the bar. He takes a bottle from the back shelf and refills the glass adding his own glass to the bar, "We loved her. It's a normal reaction. Can't say I blame her. I got lots of questions of you."

Lauriella pulls out the lock of Ava's hair with the chain, "I made this for you. to remember her by. Got her things. all except a dress she.....A dress."

He looks at her keenly then nods, "So tell me about my daughter Captain."

"I was away much of the time as duty calls to feed a crew. I met her while venturing in Arabel. We got along we did. She wanted to start a venture guild. Invited me in. Called it the Silver coin. but times changed. Enemies lining up against the new city state. Dream never materialized.

She was a fine fighter and woman. A good soul. Better than me. Fell in love with her and we married under Sehanine's light."

"How did she die?"

"Horde attacked the city. Ava, a few others, me we defended the east gate. I'm a support mage. directed the battle. healed people and used a spell or my longbow when saw a opening to. We did well at first till the horde came up the side from scaling the walls. All chaos broke out. Many abandoning the gate. I went around a building and back kobalds on my heals. Ava was gone. Didn't know where she went. most likely toward the castle.

I stayed to get everyone else out of the east side of the city. wound up on the wall faced by a horde of orcs. Kept pelting them with my bow being I was out of spells. they brought a dragon touched mage in and dispelled my shields. I went down but someone must of found me. wound up at the castle someone tending my wounds.

Rested and had to retake the castle. and finally drove them out. All that time did not see her. We finally won though the king died. When the battle was over someone placed her body in front of me. I tried to revive her to no avail. She waits for me in Avandor."

He takes a drink and caresses' the lock of hair, "The body?"

Wrapped her proper in her moon dress. Took her to trench and laid her to rest. Said the ceremony. I loved her wasn't about to let her body go without proper rites." Tears start to stream down Lauriella's eyes.

"You make her happy?"

"I did my best Mr Selakiir. I believe I did." She smiles weakly still tears streaming down her face."

He takes a drink, "I believe you did too. It's in the letter. She wouldn't write it if it were not true. I'm sorry for your loss, Captain."

"I'm sorry for yours."

"And thank you. Most wouldn't have the courage to face us. You're an honorable woman."

"I'll take her things to you on the morn. She did well. Your family will never want for anything."

"Rather have my daughter back but I know you did your best to protect her."

Lauri nods, "I did."

"Think its time to leave then. Don't imagine we'll be seeing you again."

"Aye. I have to return. Try to right the wrongs done to the city. Live at Immersea. You find yerselves in any trouble I'll be there next 4-5 year. Always welcome at me fire when I not haulin."

He nods to her. Lauri finishes her drink and leaves with a bruised face and a broken heart.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella comes back to the apartment after an arduous two days in Arabel. On the first day she went to the stonelands and moved on to the old ruins to what she believes is an old fallen Netheilesse earth mote. While there she must have hit a trap after being separated from Nyx and the rest of the group.

waking up she found her self alone deep within the bottom of the city in water up to her waist while sitting. She felt lucky she didn't slip under and drown. Using her ring of invisibility she walked around the undead and gargoyles trying to be as quiet as possible. The tactic worked. None saw her. Making her way to through the stonelands however the mobs of gnolls, hyenas and hobgoblins did see her. She used every tactic she knew and then some. 500 feet from the edge she was hit on the back of the head by something. what she didn't know. She found herself at Tymora's with an aching head.

Going to the faceless she drinks a few whiskeys then goes to the palace. Every time she goes there she approaches the monument and speaks to Ava. She tells her of her unbending love for her and her adventures in Arabel or other places. She tells her of her hopes. When done Lauri places a moon lily by the monument, kisses her hand then touches it. She feels in her heart Ava will always be watching.

When done she heads back to Immersea. It is the night of new moon. A time for reflection. She cut open and cleaned several dozen clams putting them back in half their shells with some spices. set up tables and chairs. Made a campfire. and bought several bottles of wine, ale and spirits for anyone wanting to come.

Last reflection only Nan came and told Lauri about how she came to be an Oathtaker. How she will one day meld into the forest and become part of its spirit. This reflection Atrick, A young woman by the name of Aurora, and Burdrul the dwarf. Burdrul gave a fine repertoire of the battle from his experience. Lauri listened respectfully to his rendition. Aurora asked him many questions. Atrick added a few comments of what he saw in the historic district. All in all twas a good night for her. She did not mention Ava. She thought it would put the upbeat guests into a depressive mode.

At dawn her guest left her. Atrick carried the food and unopened bottles to the inn to be donated to the people of immersea. Lauri folded up the chairs and tables bringing them back to the inn. When all had left Lauriella goes back to her ring of moonflowers that act as a border for the area of reflection. She sits on a large flat boulder and stares out at the great lake wyvernwater. She stays and remembers her wife for many hours. With reflection complete the official mourning period is over. Lauriella now must continue her life even if she still feels the pain of loss. At noon she picks herself up and heads to Arabel again.

Lauri still has a little more than a half dozen treasure maps. She picks up a whole gaggle of adventurers including Nyx, Grell, Burdrul, Aurora, Mac, and others and they seek out treasure. Nyx and some others also have maps together they find a wealth of coin and goods. When finish all leave accept Mac, and Alister. The three head down into the tunnels to find Macs vampire friend. They found nothing however, when they got to the old tomb glowing with light and sealed by sorcery She remembered something she had that could help Mac and her solve some of the puzzle between Asbaron and the Vampires who are at odds over a Caul.

She tells Mac, "I have a scroll of legend lore. Should I try it on the tomb and inscription?"

Mac readily agrees. So she casts it. Nothing seems to happen. They walk out somewhat dejected. When Lauri gets back to the inn she lays down and falls into trance. While in revelry a vision suddenly interrupts her daydream. The spell takes form again. She has a vision.

She dreams the names of two noble families of antique Anauria. The Houses of Nemrin and Maluradek; bitter spite and cold malice, the ancient chains lashing them one to the other.

The vision unfolds further, against a tide of starving Savage Folk, their numbers blackening the sun, and the implacable Anauroch rearing up monstrous behind.

Here she melts into the bright eclipse of a forge-fire in some deep and sonorous place.
The sound of not metal but glass.
Breaking, bending, blown into a wand? cup? key? It's hard to see against the amber flames.
Or are those the eyes of a strange, molten-heat, fire-shaped child?

Hard to say...
As the claw of old Night crawls unbidden up and over the desert's sandy skirts, the spell falters.
The stars brightening at last, terrible and wonderful into a pair of fiery emerald orbs, mad with old, old melancholy.

Lauri gets up and immediately goes to Mac. He becomes thoughtful then says he has to write a letter. When finished They go back to the smugglers tunnels and find the bones of an angel. Mac places the letter upon the ground in front of it and the group goes back through the tunnels and out into the light.

Lauri travels back to the faceless to find her Husband Zard drinking with Jo. She joins the conversation. Zard and her get into several discussions before Jo throws them out saying last call. Lauri turns and looks at her, "Out of whiskey again I see?"

"Aye you harlot you drank it all! Now get out!"

Lauri laughs and waves to her. Jo smiles and waves back. The couple go back to their home down south.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella startles out of revelry in the dead of night. She sits up on the bed and sighs. Looking over at Zard she sees he's deep within his own past.

She asks softly, "Husband, Zard can you hear me?" Zard does not even stir. His eyes blink occasionally locked in the past.

She sighs again, "Typical. Men never listen to women unless they have a cudgel in their hand or have to listen."

She looks at the window. Moonlight floods the room. She turns off her infravision and looks at the room in all its moonlit shades of greys and eerie off whites. The silence is deafening. She looks back to her husband contented in his visions.

I have to speak to you. I hope you hear this. The next 12 weeks will be hard. You know I travel. I have to travel my, Zard. It's in my blood you could say. You are the best craftsman I know. Please help me when Im away by collecting the needed wood and copper. I don't think I can do it without you."

She pauses a moment thinking if she should really say the next few things. He might actually be listening. She needs him now but he has been somewhat distant this last month. She put him through grueling practices so that he now knows the basics of sailing. can swim several miles and has the strength to work cargo and large ship parts so that he can fix them.

"I've been recruited by a secret organization. One to which I cannot tell you anything about. I don't know how they found out about my past. The past I have no memory of. The past where I have but a few sketchy research notes about who I was and what I did before.

Zard this group know that we seek a better Arabel. Its dangerous work. I'll make many enemies. That is if my identity is found out. We investigate certain dangers to our city state and do our best to eradicate them. that's all I can tell you. I may die from doing this work.

That is why I must teach you numbers and accounts. Navigation and other things. If I die I want you to take over the new shipping company we are creating. I will prepare you as best I may. Hopefully you will figure out how to do well in this life."

I'm also going after the Mayor to displace him. His insensitivity to the struggles of Immersea and his traitorous union with Cormyr cannot be tolerated. I have papers of his guilt and will most likely present them to the lower council soon. I think for the first time since coming here I am afraid. Not for myself. I am someone of no import. But for you my husband. You need help in your life. You need a good woman to stand beside you. For you to stand beside.

If I die. find another that has the intelligence and fortitude to help you with the Silver Coin, the Moonflower II. You'll also need to find a captain. they will come if I am dead.

For now I must complete getting rid of this mayor and making sure I have enough wood and metal for the ship.

Thank you for listening...........she pauses............or not. Still good to get it all of me chest for once. Selune is near full. Perhaps at full moon celebration we will discuss it more. I will dance for you and we will be together the night reveling in one another. Perhaps then.

She looks over to him still dreaming of the past. Lauriella sighs, turns her back to him and does her best to slip in her own revelry.
CTP team member