Star Wars The Old Republic Review By Winterhawk and Bannor
This Forum encompasses reviews and discussions of new games
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Re: Star Wars The Old Republic Review By Winterhawk and Bann

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Player Abilities And VFX

Player abilities for opposing classes were very similar. Both the Jedi Knight and Empire knight have force leap in their basic abilities. Both the Consular and Sith Inquisitor have a form of force wave. There were enough differences in the opposing classes that both were distinct. When players reach past 10th level and start using their custom trees there will be even more of a distinctive difference in opposing classes. We thought they balanced well against each other and still have enough of a difference that a player will have fun with each class after playing the other.

The VFX for the player abilities is a pleasant surprise in that it's not overdone. From the light sabers, to the purple lightning of the Sith to the effects for gadgets of Trooper and smuggler, everything looked taken straight out of the movies. Often games overdue things with player initiated VFX. In SWTOR it was perfect for the world Bioware created.

Encounter scaling

The last thing we want to mention was Encounter scaling. There is no encounter scaling in the game. It's perfectly understandable why Bioware would want to do this. Just a note that it gives players the ability to farm encounter areas.
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

This concludes our Review of Star Wars the Old Republic. We tried to give you the best objective assessment of the game we possibly could. Everyone is invited to comment :).
CTP team member

Jace Salzman
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Jace Salzman »

Very good review yet again. Now i guess the real question- Do you plan on playing it after its live (which is today i believe)?
Your Friendly Neighborhood Shattered Elements Design Lead

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Hi Jace,

thank you very much for the kudos. We were as honest and objective as possible with the time we had to test :). As far as buying the game and playing, myself, no. I'm not sure about Bannor. I've been investigating skyrim and the creation engine to possibly build a module then a new world. As of now it seems that the creation engine is similar enough to the Gamebryo engine that assets can be swapped between the two. That means that the interface for multi-player for the embryo may work on the creation. Star Wars with its ongoing fees and with no toolset leaves little to offer to me personally.
CTP team member

rdjparadis

Post by rdjparadis »

The Creation Engine is actually a new product. It was developed by Bethesda themselves. Gamebryo, which powers Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and Morrowind was developed by Emergent. I don't know about compatibility between the two.

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Thanks for the tip RDJ. I forgot the exact name for the oblivion engine :oops:
CTP team member