Progress post 06 2017: Majere - A new connection
General public discussion and advertisement area for this project.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist, Black Rider

Black Rider
ctp: Yes
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Progress post 06 2017: Majere - A new connection

Post by Black Rider »

The Majere group was not as unfinished as the others mentioned in the previous posts, but still needs some work. One bigger issue was, that the bridge connection was not set up in the middle of a tile, as you can see here in a Gmax screenshot:

We had the same issue with the Trough group (as mentioned in one of the previous posts) and there was no model/group to make a connection to the rest of the bridge walks. Also, we did not find any evidence on what the DLA-plan regarding these connections was.

Well, Bannor decided, that we don’t want an new connection type, but to move the connection, so it lines up with the already available bridges.

That meant some work: Enlarging the platform, adjusting the railings, moving the bridge, and worse: Correcting the walkmesh.

All done! Now all available tree groups can be connected and thus are usable. Majere still needs the “new” root and canopy leaves and some more things, but we’re on our way.

Here are some IG screens:

You can also see, that the platform has a “thickness”. In fact, it’s the only group, which has this! Since it’s a “preservation” project, we leave it with this group, even though it’s the only one.

The Raistlin model in the screens is used with permission by FeYbraNt & Kracius (Gilean), who create a spanish NWN1-Dragonlance project (= Dragonlance Online / DLO). Thank you!

Additional note...
It's been 5 month, that I last had contact with Bannor and that he logged into this forum. And this "what to do with the Majere bridge" was his last post up to now... I have no information on what happened and I really hope, that he's well and will return some day! All the best to him!
Just that you know, why there are no notes/replies from Bannor up to now.

Black Rider

Re: Progress post 06 2017: Majere - A new connection

Post by Black Rider »

Great news:
Bannor is still around and was able to post a short notice to the Neverwintervault!
Problem seems to be, that he has no working PC or other practicable devices to post something ATM.
Well, main thing is, that you (Bannor) are there! :D

Addon: Status
I finally completed the root leaves cover for Majere and Mina. Still need to edge out some flickering though.

Black Rider

Post by Black Rider »

A short update:
Besides the added root leaves (see screen), the back side of the Majere house has a little balcony. I added the missing rails.
Now the size is pretty narrow. Standard doors look oversized and when set to open, the door reaches through the rails. The side wall is too narrow for a door. In addition to the size, the original walkmesh was not designed to have a walkable part.
This make me think, that this balcony part was only ment as a nice design addition with no function.

Well, I made it walkable. The door you see in the screen is a "mesh only" from the original set from 2003, which had smaller = non standard doors. It looks good, but the door as such is not a working NWN door ATM. I think, enlarging the balkony doesn't look so good. So it may be, that it will be left as a "fake" door.

This screenshot is taken from within the toolset:

Black Rider

Post by Black Rider »

Nearing final stage!
This IG screen shows the Majere group at night. I fixed/added lamps, smoke and lit windows for the dark hours.

Afer my last post, I found, that I had to do tons of UVW unwraps to parts, which I didn't pay a closer attention to (roof under sides, platform rims, bark, ...). The scene we found was already sliced before the UVW mapping was finished. That made the UVW unwrapping even more fun to do! :lol:

To all, who begin to work with tiles: DO NOT slice a model before you're 100% finished with applying and fitting the textures! :!: :)

There are still some little fixes / adjustments /details left, but, I'd say, it's nearly finished. :)

Black Rider

Post by Black Rider »

Zwerkules posted a fitting reply regarding my UVW-message from above:
You can map sliced up tiles just like other meshes. Select all the parts of say a sliced up roof and apply a uvw map modifier to all of them. Map them the way you want, use the gizmo to move or rotate the texture if needed and when done click into an empty part of the scene and then select each part of the roof separately and collopse the uvw-map-modifier if you want to work with those parts some more. If you don't need to work on those parts any more, you don't need to collapse the uvw-map-modifier and can simply export the tile.

It's from:
https://neverwintervault.org/forums/nev ... ment-35474

Thank you, Zwerkules!