The City of Arabel
This Forum encompasses reviews and discussions of new games
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Re: The City of Arabel

Post by Winterhawk99 »

After the great battle in front of the palace Sir Vincenzo Merdici laid Ava's body in front of Lauriella. She sat down and cried. She tried to have Ava wake up to no avail. In desperation she unrolled her scalpel kit out determined to bring Ava back. Back in a new form.

Her friends spoke calmingly trying to dissuade her. Lauriella gripped the scalpel high into the air to cut open Ava's chest cavity then brought it down to her eyes and threw it as far as she could. As much as she wanted to bring her back she could not. Her higher morals would not let her preform the ceremony.

She picked her wife up stroking her hair and kissing her while the red lady of the crimson spoke. She never even remembered receiving her badge or what was said at the end. Her eyes just looked down on the face of her dead wife. When it was over. Lauriella walked toward Immersea.

Along the way she spied a dire wolf while struggling with Ava's body. She cloaked herself in invisibility and moved on until she got to Sir Perceval's small catalina. She commandeered the craft.
The knight backing away in respect as Lauriella tended to Ava's body.

Lauriella undressed her and put on the moon dress she bought for her wife but a month ago. She combed and made up Ava's hair. Making a reef of moon lilies she crowned her head with it, adding Jasmine and sandalwood upon her crown. Lauri never wept so much in all her life as she tended to Ava. She felt lost in a world too big for her.

When Ava is dressed in her finest: Lauriella carefully and tenderly wraps the body with cloth soaked in perserving oils. It takes her half a day to wrap it properly adding stones to weight Ava down. When finished she takes the knights small craft and set out to the deepest trench in the Wyrmwater.

When she gets there she opens her captains book of ceremonies written in Mulhorand and added to by her own hand. She at first places the book down in front of her and speaks "Deep Sashelas take this body to your arms...….. Preserver her for she is of my own love............ My own heart....... Our souls merged under Sehanines light.......... Now that light has been torn asunder. So please I beg of you. Preserve her from all that would desiccate her body. Let the deep know that she was loved and died a heroin.

Osiris God of the dead, God of souls. take her soul. guide her to her place in Avandor. Let her know that her heart will come to her when my time is done in this mortal world. I only wish to be with you now my Love, heart and soul but it is not to be. I and you must await the day when I too have ended my tasks in mortal life. Osiris lead her let her know that I will never forget her and wait my time.

Lauriella wipes her face, "I'm starting to ramble."

Opening the book she now starts the traditional ceremony of the dead as said by captains that have lost sailors for over a thousand years. When complete she picks up her wife and kisses her death shroud one last time. Smells the scent of her perfume. Lauriella gently places Ava in the water and watches her sink from view.

She watches after the water till the stars come out. Selune is waning. Soon enough it will be time for the reflection. She looks up at the stars and moon, "I. I of no import to the greater scheme yet have suffered such tragedy. I have lost my daughter of a few weeks. A wife I only knew a few months. My husband a fugitive. Yet I have kept your laws. I have never made an undead, controlled undead, I have never taken necrotic form. Yet you heap the wounds of the soul upon me always. Am I so evil in your eyes Lady navigator that you would do this disservice to me yet again.

My soul is broken. My heart is rend asunder. My soul is torn in two. I no longer know what to do?

She drops down and sits there anchored above the trench most of the night. When morning comes she sails back to the knight that let her borrow the small craft. She hands him a bag of old coins and leaves for Arabel to find some worth in herself and her goddess again.
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella goes to her apartment in Immersea. She must take a few days to travel to Waterdeep. She needs to inform Ava's parents of her death. Ava's parents own an Inn there. Lauri has the name and their names. A ship captain's duty is to inform the parents of a death. She figures it must be the same for a matriarch of an elven family even with no memories of her childhood in Evermeet.

She feels great trepidation to going. She had never lost a man before. She never went through the process of informing a husband, wife, or parents of loss. Her own grief at the loss of Ava making things all the more difficult. Looking up to the ceiling she searches for the words she will say. she finds nothing to guide her thoughts.

Zard lies on the bed moaning from working on the sea. It's not different from any other hard work except sailors use different muscles. Muscles land people never really developed. The constant swimming making things more difficult for him. Zard's angry development and blind actions worry Lauriella. She thinks to herself, 'A priest should know better than being so quick to react.' She knows she must break him. Break his body down until he has nothing left to give. She has lost one mate. She is determined to make a man of Zard that is not rash and quick to anger. She will not loose another. She tires him a grueling work out every day until he cannot think to be angry she will eventually calm the beast within.

She sits down on the bed looking around her. There's small table in front of her she uses as a desk. The room is cramped and crammed with charts, instruments, a small library of necromancy and demonology reference books, uniforms, files, and small curiosities from her past she doesnt know much about.

Noticing a curious bronze badge she studies it. It is slightly out of place. Turned so it is slightly skewed from its proper place. She looks at Zard and shakes her head. She picks it up looking at the words engraved on the back, while thinking about anyone else that was in this room since the small elven family rented it. She exclaims, "Wonder where Nyx got her ideas from. Hell's I don't even remember anything having to do with this like so much of my past life."

Zard stirs. She looks over at him, "Better get your rest, husband. I told Lloyd to work you harder tomorrow." Zard turns his back to her and moans.

Lauriella takes the lock she took from Ava's hair and gets a small leather kit out. She makes a small cup and sews a hoop to it. then she places the end of the hair in the cup and sews it shut. Taking a small silver necklace chain she hoops it through the loop and closes the clasps. She then glues it to Ava's letter and sticks everything in a scroll tube. She thinks about it a while and takes the letter back out. Ava's moon elven parents are commoners like her. A scroll tube is not needed. She gently places it in her pack.

She takes a dress uniform out and makes sure its spotless and free from lint packing it next. then she takes all of Ava's things she retrieved from the Crimson. Armor, Sword, other things. She lays everything out on the floor. searching for the one memento she will keep something...…..She spy's the simple dress she first saw her in that night at the faceless. The night that Drak walked in on them immediately realizing one of Lauriella's problems that her personality can change drastically by what she wears.

She picks up the dress and takes a deep whiff of it. Ava's smell though muted still remains upon the garment. She decides to keep it. It will remind her of the woman who turned her eyes from another even if only momentarily. Lauriella speaks again, "What am I to do now Alluin?"

All of Ava's things. Her great sword her armor and other clothes Lauri packs up. She also puts the fortune in gems that she gave Ava in the packs. She doesn't need them. Her parents should have them since Lauri already has a fortune in gemstones. She packs all the other of Ava's things.

After which she turns to her husband, "I am going to waterdeep. I'll be using a phantom steed to make the trip that much faster. Given Lloyd a workout routine for you. Follow it to the letter Zard. I'll make a sailor out of you yet and you will learn to have patience."

She kisses him on the cheek, "Should be making me way back by friday night."

She takes some very old spell books and an old scroll tube out of her own supplies. Leaving the apartment and the city of Immersea. The fastest way to Waterdeep is the land route so she must travel by horse. Something she hasn't done in over 20 years, yet she started out a farm girl and know enough to be competent to ride even if not remembering.

Once outside the city proper she throws a horse femur on the ground. Opening her scroll tube she finds the right spell. She reads it while motioning with her free hand. As the scroll burns off bones come up from the ground. They form the skeleton of a horse. After all the bones connect ectoplasm forms around the them as Lauriella shapes it. The ghostly substance solidifies to form a black horse with a grey mane. Its feet disappearing an inch or two from the ground in insubstantial hooves. The spell is called Phantom steed.

Lauriella places all the packs upon the horse and mounts up. At her level of training the horse can travel land, sand or muddy ground as if it were on a road and four times the speed of a normal horse. She heads to Waterdeep as fast as the horse can carry her. Only stopping to take her bearings with sextet and watch.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella gets to Waterdeep quickly on her phantom steed and takes an inn room near the docks where she is comfortable. She has never been to the great port before to her knowledge and the western sea people are slightly different though she does spy some sun elven among the throngs of sailors. More than she would see along the ports of the inner sea.

Stowing all of Ava's things in the room she waits till midnight and heads to the inn that Her wife's parents own deeper in the city near the eastern gate. She wears her dress uniform with her port pins, Her medal of Valor and her new badge as a heroin of Arabel. She didn't want to wear that particular badge but It is her dress uniform and she tends to follow regulations on these things.

As she walks some sailors salute her, recognizing rank and pins. She quickly recognizes them whether they be of some countries navy or another merchant marine.

She walks into the in to see a Moon elven serving customers at the bar. There a young woman no more than 100 years waiting on tables. Lauriella studies her a moment and the similarities to Ava's face. It must be her sister, Aleana. She turns her attention to the barkeep. He's older than her perhaps 2-220s with blonde hair and bright blue eyes with gold flakes in them. She walks up to the bar and sits.

The man looks up at her, "Good eve to you captain. Bar's closing down in a 1/2 hour its last call. What you having?

"Whiskey, please. Three fingers with ice if you be having it?"

"I got ice." He takes out a glass and puts four cubes of ice in it. Then pours whiskey till the glass is half full.

He points to the medal of Valor, "Don't see too many of those around and not to many captains in dress."

She nods to him, "Led a fleet of galleons out of a hurricane some twenty-twenty one year ago. As for the dress uniform," She pauses, "Duty to preform."

The barkeep looks at the strain of her face and shakes his head, "Someone done fell of the boat or got themselves the black blood? Sorry to hear. Sailing, its not the easiest of livings. Always someone passes here and there."

Lauriella nods and sips her whiskey. when she puts her glass down she asks, "You're name Lewellen Selakiir?"

The bartender nods, "That's me. The wife and I own the inn. Our daughter tends tables and works with us. Have another daughter. She left. Don't know why."

Lauriella nods, "I have a letter for you then." She takes Ava's letter out and slides it over to him.

He looks at it in wonder, "Who would be sending me a letter. Haven't had much but bills these days." The letter has no address its sealed with a plain wax seal. He reads the letter and looks up to her. I better go get the wife but first he shouts out, "BAR IS CLOSED YOU LOT! GET GOING FAMILY BUSINESS!, You stay right here captain."

She gives him a nod.

The young girl waiting tables turns and he motions her to the back. Lauriella is left alone. She takes a sip of her whiskey and sets the glass down on the table. Looking at her hand she sees it's shaking.

A smallish older female moon elf comes out. She's barely 5 ft and blonde much like her husband. She is furious stomping up to her. Lauriella comes to attention. The husband makes his way more slowly behind her as if gauging what the situation might bring. The daughter is behind him crying leaning against an open doorway.

The wife points to the letter, "This you! You this Lauriella!"

Lauri meets the woman's eyes with compassion and sorrow, "Yes, Ma'am I am, she."

"How old are you Captain!"

"Hundred-seventy cycles."

The mother suddenly slaps her as hard as she can. Lauri feels a tooth loosen and the mothers nails rake the side of her face. She turns her head and brings out a handkerchief. to clean the blood from the corner of her mouth while Ava's Mother raves at her, "You're the one who took my baby! I revile you! She was a child and You! You are a hundred-seventy! Damn Sun elves think you can do anything you want! So, You were her matriarch and you could not protect her! Tell me Captain. Tell me now how you failed her!

"We only married two moon ago. I.........."

The woman slaps her again. Lauriella takes it. At this time the husband decides to do something he grabs his wife round the waist, "That will be enough good wife. Go to the back. I'll speak to the captain."

"No let me go! I want to know everything and how this bitch failed in her duties to her family. Lewellen physically picks Ava's mother up as she struggles. Before he can get full control of her she spits in Lauriella's face. Lewellen takes her to the back. Aleana follows them.

After a moment he comes back and goes behind the bar again, "Sit down Captain. I would like to know what happened to my daughter."

She wipes her face off and sits down at the bar. He takes a bottle from the back shelf and refills the glass adding his own glass to the bar, "We loved her. It's a normal reaction. Can't say I blame her. I got lots of questions of you."

Lauriella pulls out the lock of Ava's hair with the chain, "I made this for you. to remember her by. Got her things. all except a dress she.....A dress."

He looks at her keenly then nods, "So tell me about my daughter Captain."

"I was away much of the time as duty calls to feed a crew. I met her while venturing in Arabel. We got along we did. She wanted to start a venture guild. Invited me in. Called it the Silver coin. but times changed. Enemies lining up against the new city state. Dream never materialized.

She was a fine fighter and woman. A good soul. Better than me. Fell in love with her and we married under Sehanine's light."

"How did she die?"

"Horde attacked the city. Ava, a few others, me we defended the east gate. I'm a support mage. directed the battle. healed people and used a spell or my longbow when saw a opening to. We did well at first till the horde came up the side from scaling the walls. All chaos broke out. Many abandoning the gate. I went around a building and back kobalds on my heals. Ava was gone. Didn't know where she went. most likely toward the castle.

I stayed to get everyone else out of the east side of the city. wound up on the wall faced by a horde of orcs. Kept pelting them with my bow being I was out of spells. they brought a dragon touched mage in and dispelled my shields. I went down but someone must of found me. wound up at the castle someone tending my wounds.

Rested and had to retake the castle. and finally drove them out. All that time did not see her. We finally won though the king died. When the battle was over someone placed her body in front of me. I tried to revive her to no avail. She waits for me in Avandor."

He takes a drink and caresses' the lock of hair, "The body?"

Wrapped her proper in her moon dress. Took her to trench and laid her to rest. Said the ceremony. I loved her wasn't about to let her body go without proper rites." Tears start to stream down Lauriella's eyes.

"You make her happy?"

"I did my best Mr Selakiir. I believe I did." She smiles weakly still tears streaming down her face."

He takes a drink, "I believe you did too. It's in the letter. She wouldn't write it if it were not true. I'm sorry for your loss, Captain."

"I'm sorry for yours."

"And thank you. Most wouldn't have the courage to face us. You're an honorable woman."

"I'll take her things to you on the morn. She did well. Your family will never want for anything."

"Rather have my daughter back but I know you did your best to protect her."

Lauri nods, "I did."

"Think its time to leave then. Don't imagine we'll be seeing you again."

"Aye. I have to return. Try to right the wrongs done to the city. Live at Immersea. You find yerselves in any trouble I'll be there next 4-5 year. Always welcome at me fire when I not haulin."

He nods to her. Lauri finishes her drink and leaves with a bruised face and a broken heart.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella comes back to the apartment after an arduous two days in Arabel. On the first day she went to the stonelands and moved on to the old ruins to what she believes is an old fallen Netheilesse earth mote. While there she must have hit a trap after being separated from Nyx and the rest of the group.

waking up she found her self alone deep within the bottom of the city in water up to her waist while sitting. She felt lucky she didn't slip under and drown. Using her ring of invisibility she walked around the undead and gargoyles trying to be as quiet as possible. The tactic worked. None saw her. Making her way to through the stonelands however the mobs of gnolls, hyenas and hobgoblins did see her. She used every tactic she knew and then some. 500 feet from the edge she was hit on the back of the head by something. what she didn't know. She found herself at Tymora's with an aching head.

Going to the faceless she drinks a few whiskeys then goes to the palace. Every time she goes there she approaches the monument and speaks to Ava. She tells her of her unbending love for her and her adventures in Arabel or other places. She tells her of her hopes. When done Lauri places a moon lily by the monument, kisses her hand then touches it. She feels in her heart Ava will always be watching.

When done she heads back to Immersea. It is the night of new moon. A time for reflection. She cut open and cleaned several dozen clams putting them back in half their shells with some spices. set up tables and chairs. Made a campfire. and bought several bottles of wine, ale and spirits for anyone wanting to come.

Last reflection only Nan came and told Lauri about how she came to be an Oathtaker. How she will one day meld into the forest and become part of its spirit. This reflection Atrick, A young woman by the name of Aurora, and Burdrul the dwarf. Burdrul gave a fine repertoire of the battle from his experience. Lauri listened respectfully to his rendition. Aurora asked him many questions. Atrick added a few comments of what he saw in the historic district. All in all twas a good night for her. She did not mention Ava. She thought it would put the upbeat guests into a depressive mode.

At dawn her guest left her. Atrick carried the food and unopened bottles to the inn to be donated to the people of immersea. Lauri folded up the chairs and tables bringing them back to the inn. When all had left Lauriella goes back to her ring of moonflowers that act as a border for the area of reflection. She sits on a large flat boulder and stares out at the great lake wyvernwater. She stays and remembers her wife for many hours. With reflection complete the official mourning period is over. Lauriella now must continue her life even if she still feels the pain of loss. At noon she picks herself up and heads to Arabel again.

Lauri still has a little more than a half dozen treasure maps. She picks up a whole gaggle of adventurers including Nyx, Grell, Burdrul, Aurora, Mac, and others and they seek out treasure. Nyx and some others also have maps together they find a wealth of coin and goods. When finish all leave accept Mac, and Alister. The three head down into the tunnels to find Macs vampire friend. They found nothing however, when they got to the old tomb glowing with light and sealed by sorcery She remembered something she had that could help Mac and her solve some of the puzzle between Asbaron and the Vampires who are at odds over a Caul.

She tells Mac, "I have a scroll of legend lore. Should I try it on the tomb and inscription?"

Mac readily agrees. So she casts it. Nothing seems to happen. They walk out somewhat dejected. When Lauri gets back to the inn she lays down and falls into trance. While in revelry a vision suddenly interrupts her daydream. The spell takes form again. She has a vision.

She dreams the names of two noble families of antique Anauria. The Houses of Nemrin and Maluradek; bitter spite and cold malice, the ancient chains lashing them one to the other.

The vision unfolds further, against a tide of starving Savage Folk, their numbers blackening the sun, and the implacable Anauroch rearing up monstrous behind.

Here she melts into the bright eclipse of a forge-fire in some deep and sonorous place.
The sound of not metal but glass.
Breaking, bending, blown into a wand? cup? key? It's hard to see against the amber flames.
Or are those the eyes of a strange, molten-heat, fire-shaped child?

Hard to say...
As the claw of old Night crawls unbidden up and over the desert's sandy skirts, the spell falters.
The stars brightening at last, terrible and wonderful into a pair of fiery emerald orbs, mad with old, old melancholy.

Lauri gets up and immediately goes to Mac. He becomes thoughtful then says he has to write a letter. When finished They go back to the smugglers tunnels and find the bones of an angel. Mac places the letter upon the ground in front of it and the group goes back through the tunnels and out into the light.

Lauri travels back to the faceless to find her Husband Zard drinking with Jo. She joins the conversation. Zard and her get into several discussions before Jo throws them out saying last call. Lauri turns and looks at her, "Out of whiskey again I see?"

"Aye you harlot you drank it all! Now get out!"

Lauri laughs and waves to her. Jo smiles and waves back. The couple go back to their home down south.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella startles out of revelry in the dead of night. She sits up on the bed and sighs. Looking over at Zard she sees he's deep within his own past.

She asks softly, "Husband, Zard can you hear me?" Zard does not even stir. His eyes blink occasionally locked in the past.

She sighs again, "Typical. Men never listen to women unless they have a cudgel in their hand or have to listen."

She looks at the window. Moonlight floods the room. She turns off her infravision and looks at the room in all its moonlit shades of greys and eerie off whites. The silence is deafening. She looks back to her husband contented in his visions.

I have to speak to you. I hope you hear this. The next 12 weeks will be hard. You know I travel. I have to travel my, Zard. It's in my blood you could say. You are the best craftsman I know. Please help me when Im away by collecting the needed wood and copper. I don't think I can do it without you."

She pauses a moment thinking if she should really say the next few things. He might actually be listening. She needs him now but he has been somewhat distant this last month. She put him through grueling practices so that he now knows the basics of sailing. can swim several miles and has the strength to work cargo and large ship parts so that he can fix them.

"I've been recruited by a secret organization. One to which I cannot tell you anything about. I don't know how they found out about my past. The past I have no memory of. The past where I have but a few sketchy research notes about who I was and what I did before.

Zard this group know that we seek a better Arabel. Its dangerous work. I'll make many enemies. That is if my identity is found out. We investigate certain dangers to our city state and do our best to eradicate them. that's all I can tell you. I may die from doing this work.

That is why I must teach you numbers and accounts. Navigation and other things. If I die I want you to take over the new shipping company we are creating. I will prepare you as best I may. Hopefully you will figure out how to do well in this life."

I'm also going after the Mayor to displace him. His insensitivity to the struggles of Immersea and his traitorous union with Cormyr cannot be tolerated. I have papers of his guilt and will most likely present them to the lower council soon. I think for the first time since coming here I am afraid. Not for myself. I am someone of no import. But for you my husband. You need help in your life. You need a good woman to stand beside you. For you to stand beside.

If I die. find another that has the intelligence and fortitude to help you with the Silver Coin, the Moonflower II. You'll also need to find a captain. they will come if I am dead.

For now I must complete getting rid of this mayor and making sure I have enough wood and metal for the ship.

Thank you for listening...........she pauses............or not. Still good to get it all of me chest for once. Selune is near full. Perhaps at full moon celebration we will discuss it more. I will dance for you and we will be together the night reveling in one another. Perhaps then.

She looks over to him still dreaming of the past. Lauriella sighs, turns her back to him and does her best to slip in her own revelry.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella slides the remains of her breakfast aside while sitting on the patio of Lem's inn. She opens her Journal up and writes.

I am not sure what happen last reflection but something did. at dusk I had set up the tables, snacks and alcohol. No one was there. I prayed several hours reflecting upon my own situation when Grell of all people showed up.

He was sorry he did not remember a mirror. I laughed and told him he didn't need one. I explained that reflection means reflecting upon your inner self and your friends stories.

I then asked him for a story. He gave a sad story about his own upbringing. His father and mother and growing up as he did.

Shortly after midnight I noticed that my ring of moonflowers was gone replaced by raven feathers. I became immediately suspicious. I know I may have many enemies that may have found me. Who or what they are I would not know or care to know. I have keep to the sea ports and to the sea itself for decades. In part because I love what I do, but in a small way to not be in one place too long except perhaps home port. I changed it from Skulk in Mulhorand to Immersea a principle for the free city of Arabel. Could someone I never remember find me and try to exact some form of revenge for whatever I did to them? I do not know and how would they find me in the first place?

As Grell and I spoke of the raven feathers a live raven came from the west and perched near us. I again was suspicious of it. It did nothing for a long moment. I tried to shoo it away assuming indeed a wizard had sent his or her familiar to observer what we would do after they broke my sacred circle of flowers. Grell suggested we kill it. I did not want to do that for we would lose any knowledge we could possible gain from it.

It then spoke to me in my mind some cryptic words or the mage spoke to me though it somehow. It said something to the effect of, "Do you not want to forget. Forget the pain." I became incensed. I have already lost the memories of most of my entire life. Why would I want to forget what little I have? Someone is targeting me. Most likely from my distant past. I told it No I do not want to forget anymore of what I do have. It flew up into the night.

Near morning Nyx came to circle. Her, Grell and I discussed the whole thing. I told her it was probably some wizard or sorcerer from my forgotten past and suggested we investigate it. We will see what happens. If I cannot find out who did this then I may have to leave for an extended period. I do not want my friends hurt by vengeful necromancers and other nefarious creatures of the night it is said I chased when I was living in another place. These raven feathers must have some significant meaning. I will research them. Also I found the moonflowers thrown down against the base of the tree. Someone or something has taken a keen interest in my reflections. I will be more watchful next new moon.

This will haunt me for some time but I must keep quiet about it. No one need fret over someone like me small and insignificant. I feel the ever growing pull to the sea of fallen stars anyway. I just have to wait until the right ship comes into port.

Lauriella closes her journal and slides her breakfast back over to herself, finishing her meal. Afterward she checks up on Zard, then goes back to her research.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella eats a breakfast platter on the patio of Lem's. It's near sunset and a time she normally wakes up to start her night. Being a worshipper of the elven moon goddess she prefers to be active at night rather than the day. Looking out over the great lake Wyvernwater she sighs. She waits for a ship that will take her to Impiltur. A nation to the east that has the best shipbuilding yards along the sea.

She found contract with the great houses of Arabel to pursue her career again after she lost her ship. The problem was Immersea The only local city with access to the lake was too small to built a ship the size of Lauriella's design.

She had lost her home, career, old friends to her promotion and new friends to death. She had lost her wife. Her husband was out on the Sea learning their trade. There was little left except her wealth .

She goes up during the weekends to Arabel. Mostly to speak to Ava's spirit at the monument set up for the dead that defeated the white horde during the invasion. Other than that she stays in Immersea studying her small library of spell books and spell theory, while waiting for the right ship to come in.

She finishes her breakfast and opens a journal she has neglected the past few month. Writing her thoughts down.

It has been a long time since last I wrote in this journal. It is mid fall here. Those farmers unscathed by the wars and raids collect their crops. I am hopeful in the next month or two a ship to the Impiltur shipyards will arrive.

I have found little hope for these people. Still i do my best to help where I may. A small slither of hope did hit me this last trip. A sun elven by the name of Elvawien has immigrated to the land. I feel sorry for her. She is more scholar than adventurer often stumbling over her feet for bad balance.

I took her home here in Immersea and nailed two ship planks to some crates. Even with two planks she would fall often but did get better. I told her to walk across them everyday as exercise. She'll never be able to juggle but at least perhaps I can get her to walk without stumbling all over herself.

After a word I encouraged her to join Arlayna, Nyx and I on a scouting mission south of the hullacks on the immerse trail and then climb the mountain to the the lovers retreat. I kept to the outside while she hugged the cliff to the inside part of the trail. She did ok. I felt like a doting mother.

She is from Evermeet. They say I am also from there. It brought certain feelings to me. I thought for a moment perhaps return and see what happened to my kin. I quickly corrected myself. It would be cruel after all these years to show up after being dead so long to them. By this time they have made whatever peace they needed. Let their daughter stay dead. I'm not really their daughter now. I would never remember their faces or my life before. It's best to leave it be. Let the gods and future light my path ahead, not behind.

For 20 years I found some comfort in what I do. Yes, there have been challenges. But for the most part a peaceful life. Now being on land these many months I have found hatred brews deep within my soul. Hatred for the land and its curses. Hatred for the wrongs done here by others to others.

I do not feel well about it. Keeping it best I can buried in my thoughts. Its not good to hate. Did I not constantly preach that to my men of the past. I needs must get back to the sea before I explode. Leave these lands for the comfort of a new home; rocking to the even rhythm of the tides.

I missed the last dance and the last reflection. Discouragement has set me to sloth. I will prepare for the dance this next full moon. I have too. I need Sehanine's guidance. I need to feel Alluin's dance again.

Lauriella closes her journal and puts it in back in her pack waiting the day when she opens it again to write her thoughts down. She sighs and looks north, "Time to talk to Ava again. I don't know how much longer I have here."
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

After a long day Lauriella goes up to her room and pens a letter not to the council or anyone near. She pens a letter to someone far away.

Dearest Alluin, My Heart, Love and Soul,

I have missed writing these past months. It has been a long half year. I have lost my ship due to shares. A captain cannot run a sloop and be profitable. Let me rewrite that a captain cannot run a sloop with the whole of the crew being profitable. I could not do that to my men. I let them go. Had to give up the moonflower and wait the day until I can build a new ship. I have all the coin I need in gems but where I am at is too small for my vision.

I married a elven man and woman. The loneliness takes its toll. I was ready for something permanent at least until we meet at the gate. My hand stretched out in invitation to receive you. Alas my wife died within a month to an invasion of orcs. She was a fighter and fought to the last. I could not save her my Heart, Love and Soul.

The other eleven I married a man is sent off to learn of the sea for at least a year. He is hunted by his former brothers the elves that hunt man. I have reformed him with patience though he still worships the lone wolf.

So I am alone. most friends I have made here. Have cared about are dead. Led by this cursed land into their own demise. I hope to survive just long enough to port out to Implitur building my ship there in the great shipyards.

Still I keep my conscience about me though i have dark feelings. the one that led the horde or the part of the horde that killed my wife. I fear i will use dark necromancies if we catch her alive. I keep thinking of turning her into a guardian. trapping her soul within her mummied remains and sealing her into a stone coffin then sending her down the trench to guard Ava's body. I hope I do not get that opportunity in my mind but my heart cries out for vengeance.

This last visit to the main city was a strange one indeed, Alluin. First there was this small boy. His father was in occupied territory. He wanted someone to go up and get his dad safely back home. I knew it could not be done. I took him to the local mercenary guild. told him if he worked hard for them he would grow up strong and be able to help others fathers when he grew up. the mercenary guild accepted him as a runner/page. He ran off to get permission from his mother or aunt. Made me heart feel warm and will give the child something useful to do until we may free the city our enemies occupy.

I've also been fighting so to speak with a merchant guild house. I did a lot for them and received no reward at considerable expense to myself. They screwed me Alluin. Had something cooking and an ambassador and the guild house walked away from the contract after all I did for them.

One of their agents met with me the other day. I received some coin and gems as compensation. It was enough i suppose. She did apologize but then the strangest thing happened. she came on to me so strongly. thankfully I was in uniform. If she knew my proclivities and got me at my weakest I would have been doomed.

As you may of felt or mayhap you didnt. I have not danced in the last months since the loss of my wife. we had so little time but it was joyful. I will dance the next full moon. Hopefully it will help heal my torn soul. Sehanine has been so kind to me these last 20 years. the dance though i may struggle will be good to start the healing process. I want to be there whole for you when we meet at the gates of the moon.

For now I must away at sea another year, decade, or century. I will try to return before we take that final rest.

Your Wild Bird
Captain Lauriella Sithiir formally Sithmore
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Nigella parks her 35ft sloop along the trench of the Wyvernwater lake as her client had paid extra for the side trip. Besides she knows the other captain well enough to know what she’s doing. Captain Lauriella Sithiir, one hell of a beauty of a sun elf walks up in uniform cavalry boots clicking on the deck from the cleats sown into the soles. She makes for the gunwale flowers in hand. She observers the usually optimistic elf with a long sad face. She puts it up to area they are at in the lake. The very spot Percival told her Lauriella gave her wife to the depths.

Lauriella drops a bouquet of moon lilies then five more into the water. Nigella can see her silently praying. She locks the wheel and moves over to her. Slipping her hand just above and around the sun elven’s waist. When she is done praying, she shows Lauriella a key, “There be an old seaman’s saying. Only one way to console a widow, Lauriella.”

Lauriella finishes the sentence without showing emotion, “But remember the risks, Nigella.”

It perturbs her not to get a smile from her acquaintance, “Something more must have happened? It be now least 3 or 4 months. Why don’t you come up to the cabin? Think I can get ye back up and running. Besiden you pretty enough.”

This does make Lauri smile, “I remember when you up and screwed Arsene. I would not be talking standards if I was you.”

“Had too. That crazy fire genasi lost his mind soon as he boarded had to do something to tire him out.”

Lauriella purses her lips, “Aye, had to save the poor bastard shortly after when he fell off a cliff. In fact, had to save them all Dauen and the rest kept their armor on and fell. Stupid landlubbers. All them are dead and gone now.”

“So?”

“I take a raincheck, captain. Got other issues.”

“Thought you were gonna stay for a direct route. What happened?”

Lauriella winces, “It was me own mistake. Said something I should nae have and could have……might have got a lot of good people killed. Could not stay. Even went to the office when called for. No one there. So I did what I thought best. Gave all my coin to the council kept the gems for the ship. Gave it my all for more than 6 months still you know as well as I do captain or any crew make a mistake they needs must be punished to fit the crime.

You and me both have lashed men. Never had to hang anyone nor keelhaul them. But have left bad men at the next port of call. Had to do so to myself. Only fitting punishment other than self-hanging.”

“I don’t believe it the great Lauriella Sithmore the most honorable woman I know making a mistake so grievous? I know more than you think I do madam investigator.”

“Come on Nigella, you know full well I don’t remember me past. Just have some sketchy records of my former life. I don’t want to know. I am who I am now, and want no part of it now. Besiden I think I smell some rum on ye breath.”

“We all have rum on our breath including you. Well I know how to get you out of yer mood. I got to pilot and wheel while having a master class pilot on me ship. How about taking up XO duties and be me pilot.

Lauriella rubs her chin, “Think I can pilot for you and run night shift if you want. It will give me time for some reflection.”

“No I want you on day shift with me. Me second runs night shift well enough. So what will it be?”

“Aye I suppose some work will help. It be a deal, captain.”

“Good from now on you sleep in the cabin with me. It will be formal dinners until we get to Westgate and you will wear a dress.”

“Gods and Goddesses, You a damn bitch, Nigella!”

“What was that XO!”

Lauriella clinches her jaw, “Eye, Captain. Understood.”

Nigella smiles, “That’s better. Besiden it will be part of your penance.”

Five years from now the Super Schooner the Moonflower II (the only one of its kind) is chased into the spoon of the pirate islands to the coast of the island of Lurath by two pirate sloops. Both sloops are found. One is only a burnt haul the other is found as a ghost ship. All hands are shriveled to dried husks from either necromancy or chronomancy. Of the moonflower II, its Captain Lauriella Sithiir and twenty crew no trace is found. All hands are assumed lost at sea.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

The rest of the story

Lauriella is awaken with a start. Her lieutenant is standing over her. Captain! Captain! We need you now.

She gets out of bed quickly putting on her uniform and steps out on Deck of her 400-ton staysail schooner, The Moonflower II. The ship itself is a three-mast super schooner she designed herself in 1360 with the houses of Merdici, the Golden Crest, and Misrim investing in her. Lauriella had paid the debt off a little over a year ago and still cuts good contracts to the houses that supported her but now she owns the ship free and clear. The only ship that can make the channel between the Wyvernwater and Dragonmere and carry a 100 tons of cargo making 12 knots at full speed.

As she takes the wheel she yells out, “What we got?”

Cyr Stafford her 1rst and only officer reports, “Two sloops trailing cutting a quick track.”

Lauriella looks at the water clock and then takes the angle of declination of the setting sun with her sextet. Then checks the chart on the navigation table. Marking their position, and writing down their heading, “On the north side of the pirate islands. Bad place to be Cyr. Should ha took the northern heading.”

The Lieutenant stands at attention, “As I started the run north, they cut me off, 20 minutes ago.”

“Alright. I’ve outmaneuvered them before and she’s fast with the Gnome goods from Thesk. Only hauling 75 ton: ¾ capacity.

Get the night crew up and about. Have your day crew stay. We’ll be needin all hands to make this free in clear. I cannot straight outrun 2 pirate sloops, but I can out cut them.”

“Aye, capt.” Cyr runs off to do his part.

Lauriella stands at her wheel now in total contentment as she figures out what to do. She is a tall Sun Elf standing at 5 feet 8 inches. Her ladies black leather officer boots add two inches to her making her look more intimidating. She is older than most starry-eyed adventurers or merchant marines at 175 years old. That would make her about 33 in human years but to humans she still looks as young as an elven maiden. Other elves know better. Her almond shaped eyes with fine lines denote her age along with the grey streaks starting to show in her tightly weaved hair tied in tight dreadlocks.

Her eyes are copper and her hair black and grey. Her skin is a deep bronze much deeper than most sun elves being that she has been commanding a vessel of trade for near 30 years. Before that she does not remember. An accident in a hurricane crushed her skull into the mainmast of her ship as an ensign. She has no memory past the fateful day she woke up on shore tended to by a mysterious figure she never saw between her delusions at the time.

She wears a waterproof overcoat made of sea otter skins. The outside is a cerulean blue. The inside lining is white. A simple shirt of faux chain underneath banded by a black leather harness. She wears Calvary boots studded with internal deck cleats to keep her at the wheel in storm. On her head is the hat of station. A black cavalier’s hat with a white band and feathers. The feather pin is a golden ships wheel denoting that she is not only a captain but a pilot/navigator.

Beside her is a perch. There is nothing sitting on it. Rather there is a 16-inch Mulhorandi fruit bat by the name of Jax hanging upside down from it. She looks at it and calls out, “Jax! Scout!”

The bat flies off to investigate the other ships. A crewmember comes up to the wheel and holds Lauriella’s shoulders until Cyr can take the wheel from her for a moment. It isn’t long before she goes into a trance. The crewman keeps her standing as she possesses Jax.

When she comes too. The man releases her. Cyr comes back up on deck with men filing out of their quarters. The 18-man crew start to prepare their meager defenses, spears and crossbows. Some of the more marshal with long bows. She turns to Cyr, “Two pirates one has the blood flag up.”

Cyr considers, “We lose them, or we die, then. What circle captain? Have you been adventuring enough that you did na lose your abilities?”

“fourth. I have some spells. By me guess we got ourselves rounds about 6 hours to outmaneuver them. We’re cutting little more than 11 and they look like 11 and an inch. Have to find the right winds Sehanine guild us through the night.”

“We know the drill then. What are your commands Captain?”

Lauriella belts out commands while the crew work around her. She tacks east and west then when she catches wind tacks north again. The pirates hit a stalemate for a while. Trailing at the same distance. Then begin their relentless slow advance matching her moves.

She works the wheel to high moon. Cyr falling asleep several times while standing. When the two pirates get within archery range arrows start spotting the aft of the deck. Lauriella shoves her lieutenant, “Time to give it back in spades Cyr.”

He instantly wakes up, “Aye Capt!” He brings out a whistle and blasts it. Five crewman come up. The 1rst mate takes the wheel. Lauriella, Cyr and two others go to the very stern of the ship. They pick up their long bows. Lauriella before she picks up hers starts and incantation.

The very air around her becomes hot for a moment as a circle of protection from evil surrounds her. She then calls up another spell and an invisible shield surrounds her. She nods to the others. They All pick up curious arrows with patchwork thread wound around the heads. They all dip the heads in a bowl of whale oil and draw.

All except for Lauriella. She speaks another spell a short cantrip while pouring some form of dust out of her hand. The dust never makes it to the ground. It disappears as every arrow ignites in fire. Lauriella draws her bow. She commands, “3…. 2…. 1…. FIRE! Four arrows are released at the sloop with the blood sail: Aimed at their mainsail.

Arrows come back, some bouncing off Lauriella’s invisible shield. Others scouring themselves on the deck. She looks at her companions. None are hit. She commands, “Again!”

Another crewman aware of the situation brings up a lit torch so Lauriella may save her limited magic.

They use the torch this time lighting the whale oil-soaked linen. Lauriella commands, “FIRE!” All shoot together again at the ship’s mainsail that shows the blood flag.

The return fire is tremendous. The man on her right goes down Arrow penetrating his throat and back out the other side. Lauriella winces as she sees his dead form and holds her hand up in a fist, meaning that she wants to stop fire.

She watches the ship they fired upon twice. After a minute she sees a red glow along the mainsail. It has caught fire. The ship flounders and loses speed. Lauriella looks at the others and shouts out, “All hands prepare for a bump!”

She waits as the call is carried down the ship length from her crew. As they hunker down in their positions, she calls up a spell while measuring the distance between her ship and the one pursuing ship that can catch her. She casts a spell off the aft of her ship between hers and theirs. The spell is gust of wind.

As her sails fill up the pursuers ships sails sink and go flat. The moonflower powered now by her magic makes almost 14 knots while the pirate ship flounders. Lauriella breaths a sigh of relief and rushes to the wheel.

At three in the morn the pirate ship comes back into view. Lauriella again wakes up the whole of the crew. Cyr comes by her side, “They back”

“persistent devils. Means they know who we are. This ship is the only one of its kind, so they be wanting it bad.”

Cyr considers, “What be the last 5 docks?”

“Westgate, Skulk, home port Immersea, Westgate again, and then that small port in Thesk.”

“Then it be Westgate, Ma’am.”

“That’s what I be figuring. Other captain is good. He ride up on us again and even though we be the fastest schooner to freight ratio he’s a sloop that can most likely make 15 knots if’in he has the wind.”

Cyr goes to the current chart on the navigator’s table. He studies it, “We be close to the island of Lurath, Ma’am”

“Too many ships have disappeared near that island. You know the lore Lieutenant!”

“Do we really have a choice captain!”

Lauriella sighs, “FINE! We go through the spoon to Lurath mayhap find a place to hide!”

“Aye capt!”

“You be knowing now we be surrounded!”

“We got you, Ma’am!”

“Fuck you, Cyr!”

“Only in my dreams, Capt. Zard your husband and your wife would be disapproving and I nea want to come between those two.”

“Smart man.”

“Aye, Capt!”

Lauriella cuts west into the interior of the pirate islands. Cyr changes charts as they go and triangulates the stars with his sextet, compass, and the water clock. Calling out positions as she steers the ship at her wheel.

As they get within ten miles from the island of Lurath; a mist appears in front of them. Lauriella shakes as she senses the magic within the towering cloud bank in front of her, “The mist is magic! Where is the pirate?”

Cyr calls out, “almost in bow shot, Ma’am!”

Lauriella purses her lips and calls out to the crew, “GET THE LONG POLES OUT AND THE PLUMB! WE GO TO UNCHARTED WATERS! TRIM THE SAILS DOWN TO NOTHING ONCE WE HIT THE MIST!”

The ship without her sails starts to slow. The pirate makes a sudden turn to avoid the mist which is called out. Lauriella is pleased that she once again out maneuvered a pirate even though the pirate was faster. The pleasure of victory is cut short as the magic of the mist harries her tuned senses.

Lauriella a general mage but attuned particularly to negative energy and necromancy starts to feel pins and needles as a foreign type of magic starts to assault her. She collapses at the wheel while seeing others of her crew start to, (in her eyes suddenly start to age, drastically.)

Cyr another elf starts to attend to her collapse body is himself consumed by the mist, as the magical nature of the cloud overwhelms him.

Lauriella wakes up with her head thumping. As she stands, she sees no one in sight. She rings the ship bell. After a moment Cyr runs to the wheel and makes a stiff salute. Lauriella asks, “What’s our situation Lieutenant?”

“Crew is down below, Ma’am. Something strange happening.”

“At ease and speak plainly, Cry. I have no tolerance tonight.”

“I don’t know, Lauri. They seem to have all aged, gotten older somehow. I almost caught you as you fell but missed. You test your magic yet?”

She tries a fourth level spell. It misfires. She tries a third (negative energy burst) and ends up mispronouncing the words ending in a fizzled spell. She tries cat grace a simple 2nd circle spell. Her mind goes blank. Finally, she tries a simple protection from evil spell. She feels the magical energy fill her body protectively. Lauriella sighs, “back to first circle. That head injury back 25 year ago still effecting me magic. My magic has suddenly waned again as Selune wanes the next two weeks. I’m cursed I say.”

“having your head crushed in by a mainmast in a hurricane. Lucky to be alive, Capt.”

“I know. Now! Get a latitude, position and bearing.”

The two watch the water clock while pulling out gnomish pocket watches. Lauriella counts down 3… 2… 1… Lock! They lock their watches. Cyr calls out “4.6 seconds!”

Lauriella looks mystified, “Aye 4.5 for me. That puts us………… We need a new chart. Go to my cabin and bet the greater Torilian chart.”

Her lieutenant runs and gets a chart of the whole of Toril. Lauriella studies it, we either north at this latitude or we be south at this latitude. We just jumped 300 miles longitude that be if the timings correct.”

“Some mad archmage jumped a whole ship 300 miles?”

Lauri winces, “I do na know yet, Cyr. Take a sextet reading on the Crown and again on the Centaur.”

“I do not see the Centaur.”

“Well now we know we north. Look for the seven stars of Selune.”

“Aye got me a……………… Lauri? Stars are wrong?”

“What the hells you meaning wrong!”

“Well some are closer together and some are too far apart. Some by over 3minutes getting declinations and parallels now.”

Lauriella now clearly upset grabs her own personal sextet hanging from the navigators stand. She measures the stars in the night sky of the two constellations. Both are off by slight margins in the eyes of someone normal looking up at them. To pilots they are miles and miles off for pilots know that each star is a marker to knowing where you are in the sea. Even a few seconds of angle miscalculation can throw a ship off coarse several kilometers in a night.

Cyr looks around, “What about the crew?”

“We be havin to take a look. Mist was magic that I could feel.”

“Elven magic?”

“Most likely being we nae effected. You right the stars are off but there they be in the night sky plain as night. Sehanine save us Cyr. I have no experience.”

“What are your orders Capt?”

“First we see to the crew then find land. Weigh anchor. Get yer kit. You got more experience in the healing arts. I only got basic Mulhorand herbal schooling.”

“Captain, I say best bring yer books too. If that mist be magic mayhap you could do more and I.”

Lauriella nods, “Go to orders and meet me down below.”

“Aye capt.”

Cyr lets the first anchor go while lauri cranks the rest of the trim down to nothing. It takes a moment, but the anchor finds purchase and the whole of the ship sags coming to a stop. Cyr then releases the other anchors. If the first loosens the others will find purchase and set before the ship drifts.

The pair go each to their cabins and retrieve medical supplies. Lauriella also retrieves some magical theory books from her small library. They walk across the deck tending to the men mates first.

Henry Calandro is the first they tend to. He is first mate and Lauriella’s right hand man on night shift. Being a follower of Sehanine. she prefers night duty even when captain and owner of the Moonflower. She gives tribute to most the other gods when she thinks the situation is needed like most of Toril, Though often enough she calls on Mulhorandi gods for those are the gods she knows best with her limited memory and being that she home ported in Skuld until moving to Immersea.

After looking Henry over she exclaims, “Henry look like you been away 20 year or so?”

“Aye captain not feeling to well.” He lifts his hand to her, she sees he now looks 60 with advanced arthritis in his finger joints. His fingers are knobby and grotesque. She mixes some willow bark with water in a bowl and casts a cantrip on it. Steam rises from the bowl, “Drink this Henry. Make you feel better.”

She looks to her lieutenant.

“Ma’am nothing wrong with Henry other than aging so fast.” Cyr replies.

Lauriella opens a scroll tube full of spells in case she needs them when she is commanding the ship at 1rst circle. Pulling up several divination scrolls she reads them off in succession coming up with nothing. Frustrated, she pulls out her most powerful divination spell and casts it on the ship. The spell is Legend lore. She goes into a trance for near an hour. When she comes too she looks at Cyr, The ship and the crew are magicked. There’s a nimbus around everyone but us two. Our crew is aging twice as fast as everything else. The mist aged them greatly but the effects though muted are still with us.”

“What about the two of us?”

“That be the strange part Cyr. We unaffected. Spell might be set not to harm those of elven blood or more likely the way we see time made us unaffected. Am not sure. Just educated guess.”

“Can you fix it captain?”

“This no simple spell, Cyr. I would have to have the books to figure things out then be able to cast an 8th or 9th circle spell. Mayhap of me own creation. I know necromancy not chronomancy.”
“How long you say before we be getting into trouble?

Lauri sighs and thinks, “Most our crew young only got 5 years on a 10 year contract. You included. Our Mates Henry here and Jonny are middle aged they be having the most problems. I say most time we have two years to figure this out. Lessen we find us a port with a mage enclave close. Preferably run by an archmage.”

Cyr nods, “Sound like a plan.”

“After we tend to the rest, we go back on deck. Get the moonflower back up and running. Any men not too effected work the shift.”

Cyr salutes, “Aye, capt.” The pair get to work.

After several hours of tending to the crew and looking at the symptoms the pair of offices go to the main deck. Both are tired but both know they need to find land.

Lauri commands, “I send Jax out to circling. You take a long pole and be guiding me over the bow. Use lantern signal. Touch bottom be me eyes.”

Cyr runs to the bow pulling a long pole that has a mark on it showing where the bottom of where the ship drafts, he starts plumbing for a bottom. Lauriella meanwhile slowly cranks the sails on the three masts a quarter open to catch small amounts of wind. Her familiar flies off into the night.

As Jax finds land to the east Lauriella turns the wheel to the north on a slight slant. She guides her familiar to go further until she sees lights at the shore. From there and far enough out that bottom should be no problem she coaxes the bat to head to the coast.

Jax flies to a small port. Lauriella possesses the creature and hears for herself what the city looks like. As she is doing it, she gets a sense in the air. She goes up to find a giant of an earth mote over the city. She snaps back to herself and commands her familiar to come back to the ship, “Know any cities in the Sea of fallen stars capture an earth mote as late?”

Cyr just stares uncomprehendingly.

“A piece of earth that floats around in the air, Cyr!”

“Err, No Ma’am.”

“There be a town up ahead say we park this girl somewhere and hide her till we know where we be into.”

Cyr scratches his head, “Let me get this straight captain. You want us to find a place to hide a 400-ton schooner? 400 TON! 3 MASTS! 150 FEET!”

“Did na say it would be easy I’ll turn the ship round and course along the shore until we be finding a place.” She sends Jax out again. Cyr goes back to plumbing looking back from time to time.

Luckily, they find a large cliff cave some 15 miles from the city. Lauriella sends Cyr out on the tender to both plumb and check the ceiling. When he comes back, he looks incredulous, “She’s a foot to low in the back and ceiling too low in the front for the masts.”

Lauriella drums her fingers on the navigators table thinking then comes up with an idea, “We pick up any that gnomish black powder in Thresk?”

“Aye, Captain, ½ ton.”

“You stay here I’ll take 50 pounds see if I can open the cave up enough to park her in.”

“You’re insane and gonna kill yerself, Lauri.”

“I’m a part time adventurer. Need you say more?”

Lauri takes the tender and powder out along with a lit torch and a spell tube case. She has to work fast. She doesn’t want anyone to see the Moonflower if they are somehow still in the middle of the pirate isles and are under some form of illusion spell. She knows now she is once again first circle but has prepared for just such an occasion.

Getting to the cave she plumbs it out herself. She throws up a firefly and casts a cantrip of light. There she instantly designs a way to use the power to blast the cave in just the right places to fit her most valuable possession her ship in the cave. She hopes. After she’s done with the charges in the back of the cave she opens her scroll case and retrieves fly, strength and nimbleness scrolls. She casts cat’s grace and bull’s strength upon herself then fly. Flying up to the ceiling she sets the charges up along the ceiling keeping her watch open to know when the fly spell will dispel. From there she takes the kerosene-soaked line and runs it out to the cave. She lights it and swims north as fast as she can.

There is a tremendous explosion. Rocks, dust, and sand shoot out of the cave. She swims back and checks the cave again. Watching for predators she may have attracted. Going to the back of the cave again she takes out another scroll and uses it. An earth elemental appears before her. They have a minor battle of the minds, but the creature cannot get past Lauri’s iron will and dulled emotions. It does as she commands and cleans out all the debris. Lauri carefully guides the ship into the cave. They lock the ship up and anchor her then take the tender to the nearest shore a mile to the north where they may then walk to the city.

Lauriella and Cyr make it to the city at daybreak. They go to the docks and walk along. Both in their otter skin overcoats and officer’s hats. No one seems to pay them much mind. Not even a curious look. The two look at one another. Lauri is the first to speak, “Seems our uniforms are not too far out of place.”

Cyr nods and looks to the ships, “Lauri these ships belong in a museum. Most are not even made with oak and chestnut. Standard for ships now days.” Wood looks strange where the paint wears you see that?”

“Almost greenish and the grain be a bit loose, yes. Might be olive or oleander. Bet its poplar.”

“Think you might be right, captain.”

“I see some officer uniforms were pretty close but lets get them up to speed. And go to a clothier.”

“Aye capt.”

The pair go to the nearest clothier and have their uniforms altered to fit the customs of the city. They come out again. Lauri finds a small girl and questions her, “Hello there.”

The little girl smiles up at them, “I lost my unicorn.”

“I’m Lauriella, my friends call me Lauri. What’s yours?”

“Agnes.”

Lauri smiles, “Good morning, Agnes if we find your pet unicorn would you be willing to answer a few questions. You see we are lost far from our home.”

“Agnes smiles and nods to them.”

The pair find Agnes’s stuffed unicorn. They bring it back and Lauri bends down to her level handing it to the young girl, “This it?”

Agnes overjoyed takes it from her and beams an innocent smile. Lauri asks, “Agnes do you know what town we are in?”

“Of course. That is silly. This is Haidran.”

“And what is the kingdom’s name?”

“Netheril of course.”

Lauri looks at the girl dumbfounded. A piece of grass that she was chewing on falls out of her mouth, “Netheril are you sure?”

The little girl nods. Lauri turns to Cyr, “We need to go now. Quietly back from where we came.”

Cyr also stupefied just nods, “Aye, capt.”

The pair get back to the ship and go to Lauriella’s cabin. Unlike her first ship the sloop Moonflower this cabin is graciously large. One wall is full of charts. Theres a full desk instead of just a writing stand. And a bed made for three people being the matriarch of house Sithiir has both a husband and wife. She has many curios from her adventuring life on her desk. Along with badges of the many orders she has been a member of such as the cerulean stars of the northeastern sea of fallen stars and the obsidian order of the city of Arabel. Most of which she doesn’t remember being her memories only start some 25 years ago after crushing her head into a main mast during a hurricane.

She paces while her first officer Cyr sits down in a chair across from her desk, “Well Cyr, We know now why the stars are off.”

“How long Captain?"

“I be sayin maybe 3,000 years.”

“What’s the plan.”

“Don’t know at the moment. Everything just theory about what next. Biggest thing we make sure not to upset the balance. Take nothin with us when we find us a way out of here back to our proper place. And try not to be making footprints. Some theory say we may kill our own parents down the line by what does here.”

“What if we is suppose to be here. We been here before and will again.”

“I heard that theory too. But fact of the matter. We need to get back where we come. Not good coming here especially with modern ship and equipment.”

“You told me bout that Chronomancer in Arabel you met once when first got there. He give you anything to work with for dying.”

Lauriella shakes her head, “Nae but may be a way to follow. Best I study this while here make a spell to get us back if find a way. Ivo he didna last long in Arabel. Fell in the white horde wars.”

Cyr looks at her depressingly, “Lauri you never made more than 5th circle since yer accident. You expecting to make a spell to send a whole ship back where it came from in time?”

She purses her lips, “I know. Situation looks bleak but I needs must be trying to do it or be finding a mage that can and willing. Without lettin him know the full story. We cannot tell anyone bout where we really from. We cannot be using our things. Except maybe our navigator’s watches.”

“What about the men?”

Lauri sighs, “I don’t know Cyr. I can’t keep them hidin and most would crack up for such an extended period. We also nae know how they may effect everything, and everyone round them.”

"Sound like we be having to dock, ma’am?”

She frowns, “What about our equipment and the ship herself. She could change history of future past.”

“What happened to Netheril?”

“According to the books the gods got angry with them for trying to be like the gods. Destroyed the whole of the empire.”

“And you do na find Netherilesse technology like them motes in the sky where we be, right? So we can take a chance and dock at the city up the channel Hadian.”

“Don’t like the fact there gonna be a lot of questions and we needs must keep people off the ship. They canna be seeing the equipment or the merchandise. All that gnomish stuff probably a treasure trove to these people.”

“Maybe maybe not remember Netheril is destroyed.”

“Reminds me Cyr we must be needin burning the history books. Still the men?”

“We keep them on the ship till we solve our first problem. The effect of the spell or whatever it was.”

“Aye, agreed And they still be able to protect the ship from intrusion. We lock the rudder and lock all the holds. Nothin goes out or come in. I use the cargo chest we keep for the slip fee. We purchase for a year. Means we’ll be broke cause that gnomish haul be expensive in itself.”

Cyr rubs his chin, “We sell the goods once this foul magic gone. If Netheril gets destroyed in the end we have no problem getting some coin if we be having to stay longer. We get back go home port and tap the company coffers for a chest to buy more cargo.”

“We taking huge chances Cyr. I nae like the gamble.”

“What other choices, capt?”

“Lauriella nods in resignation.”

They go up on deck. Cyr brings his whistle out and blows on it. Lauriella waits. The men move slowly and line up in two rows facing each other. Lauri’s night crew on one side. Cyrs day crew on the other. She comes down and helps Henry to his place in front of her crew line. She then walks the between them pacing. “Men, I have some bad news and news about how we gonna fix all this. This be the hardest situation we been in……ever. But I want you to know we got us a plan. I am to get us back home……” She explains the rest to them.

The crew get to work while Lauriella takes the wheel. She tells Henry to stay with her and navigate best he can with the stars being wrong. Cyr takes over as first mate. The Moonflower makes the channel with several crew plumbing for depth. They run up the river to the port of Hadrian. Lauriella parks her on the other side. She relaxes as they have a good 18 foot of depth. The Moonflower cuts 14 and some fully loaded. She got plenty of room.

The crew gets some rest. Lauriella and Cry take the tender and a small chest to port.

Lauriella knocks on the table, “Aye, Harbormaster.”

Without even looking he shouts at her, “You adventurers go slay a dragon or something. I only deal with sailors!”

She knocks again, “Best be lookin straight at me then ye bilge rat!”

He looks, “She’s taping her gold ship wheel feather pin on her cavalier’s hat.”

The harbormaster clears his throat, “What may I be doing for you, captain.”

“I be needing a slip if you got one big enough.”

The harbor master smiles, “How long you be staying for?”

“Year at least”

He smiles brighter and brings out a form, “Length.”

“156 foot”

His pipe drops out of his mouth, “Ain’t no cog 156 ft that can make the channel.”

“Ain’t a cog. Ship of me own design.”

He writes it down looking at her strangely, “Beam?”

“36 feet.”

He looks at her funny but continues, “Draft”

“14 and a half”

He puts his pipe back in his mouth and says, “You funning me beauty there aint no ship with these dimensions anywhere I know.”

Lauriella points to her schooner, “You mean that ship!”

The harbormaster’s pipe falls out of his mouth again, “What in all the hells is that!”

“That my good harbormaster is my ship. The Moonflower II. I call the design a schooner. Now you got yerself a slip big enough for me to store her a year!”

The harbormaster scratches his head still gawking at the three-mast staysail schooner, “Aye but she’ll be taking two long slips in parallel. I’ll be charging you for that.”

She opens the chest she uses to buy cargo with, “Good now lets dicker.”

The Harbormaster looks at her, “What your name first last so I can make the proper documents.”

Captain Lauriella Sithiir, Matriarch of the Sithiir family and owner of the Silver Coin trading company.”

He writes it all down, “Never heard of it or you family.”

Lauriella smiles, “It’s a very long way away good harbormaster.”
CTP team member