Official History of Anchorome

Moderator: rdjparadis

rdjparadis

The making of a champion

Post by rdjparadis »

Posted 11/13/05 01:07 (GMT) -- lilesjr

"Get up you worthless whelp!"
"Get up I said."
As I brush myself off and shake out the cobwebs I slowly rise to my feet. The have me surrounded, but I have been here before, oh have I been here before.
As I get back in my guard they rush, four on one not really a fair fight... At least not for them.
As the first one reaches me I duck his haymaker and catch him with a jab to the stomach. He falls to one knee as I think to myself three more. The next two are easily bested with a couple well placed right hands but the third, well he is a big fella. As we square up to each other I hear "Marshald enough." With that I drop my guard and the fight is over. At least for now.

rdjparadis

Re: The making of a champion

Post by rdjparadis »

Posted 11/13/05 01:15 (GMT) -- lilesjr

I wasn't always a fighter at least I don't think I was. But when I was ten my father and mother were killed by a group of bandits while they were on their way home. I was with my grandfather tending the farm when we got the news. I was devastated. Well my grandfather couldn't raise me alone so he sent me to my uncle. While this may have been the best thing for me my uncle was a real hard ***. He ran a fighting arena and used me for free labor. Sometimes as a punching bag for his premiere fighters. I learned very fast how to take a punch, and boy were there a lot of punches. But those hard days in the arena made me strong, very strong. By the time I was 13 I was able to hold my own with some of the second rate fighters, and by the time I was sixteen I was making my uncle a fortune as the boy who couldn't be beat. He would send two, three, and sometimes four opponents up against me. Each time I would win. But we were a small time outfit. Or should I say he was a small time outfit, there was no we with uncle Arich. This would all change sooner than I realized.

rdjparadis

Post by rdjparadis »

Posted 11/13/05 03:38 (GMT) -- lilesjr

I awoke with to a loud commotion coming from the main house. Normally uncle Arich played cards into the wee hours of the morning and often they became rowdy and I was used to this but this noise was different. It sounded like steel on steel. Not really caring about the fate of my uncle but more interested in who or what was here, I donned my cloak and grabbed my ax, just in case you know. As I approached the main house I could hear the sounds of battle. I thought this wasn't his normal card game. I creeped up to the window and peered inside hoping that my uncle had found the fate he deserved. Those thoughts quickly left when I saw him.

It is a better description because whatever it was, it wasn't human. It was large, almost eight feet tall and as wide as a doorway. Huge claws and large teeth. It looked as if it were human, but it was larger than any human I had ever seen. And much more grotesque looking. My uncle lie there on the floor, gasping for breath and bleeding. Like I said he got what he deserved, but self preservation began to creep in. I knew my uncle was a better fighter than me, hell he trained me... somewhat. If this thing took him out... I knew I was no match so I ran. I ran as fast as I could. I ran for what seemed like hours. When I finally regained my senses I realized in my haste I had left my ax, my armor, and the small amount of coin I had saved back at the house. I thought about turning back, but realized they were lost now. So I kept going. No longer running but searching, searching for someplace to lay my head and collect my thoughts. If I go back I am surely dead. Who knows what that thing was, and who knows if it is still there. Luckily I found a barn, long since abandoned. As I entered to my relief there was some straw laying around and it was empty. No vermin, no people. I found a place in the loft and made a bed out of the straw that lay about. I rested. What was that thing, and why was it after uncle Arich. As bad as he was he was all the family I had left. Grandpa died the winter after my parents and Arich was it. What will I do. No money, no skill, well almost no skill. I can fight. What will I do. I continued to contemplate all of this as I drifted into a dreamless sleep.

rdjparadis

Post by rdjparadis »

Posted 11/16/05 04:51 (GMT) -- lilesjr

When I awoke it was midday. I stretched gathered myself and realized I was hungry. Since I couldn't continue without food I went out searching. I came upon a stream and decided to try my hand at fishing. No luck, but I was able to drink to my hearts content and found some fruit trees that was able to curve my appetite. I packed a couple extra and set off in a direction I hoped would lead me to civilization.

rdjparadis

Post by rdjparadis »

Posted 11/16/05 05:06 (GMT) -- lilesjr

My luck was running out. And I realized my skill as a fighter was not as good as I once thought it was. Not only had I been bested, but I had been captured. I was picked up by a slave merchant and his devilish half ogre servant Lauth. I was to be used in the ore mines. How I wished I would have met the same fate as my uncle. I could never survive this underground life. But somehow I did.

The years went by and I grew strong and hearty. The constant digging and hauling developed me into a sculptured rock of a man. I was solid as the ore I mined.

In what I felt was my third year in the mines an old man approached me. He offered me a choice, to leave this place or go on slaving away. But that is all I know I thought the life of a slave. I was a slave to my uncle, and I have been a slave to these mines. Yet the thought of fresh air and freedom sounded promising. So I figured what is my life anyway. I am as good as dead. So being caught escaping killed my body, my soul and spirit had died long ago. I took him up on his offer. Some would think this was the greatest thing that happened to me, as luck had it they were wrong.

rdjparadis

Post by rdjparadis »

Posted 11/17/05 02:54 (GMT) -- lilesjr

At least I was no longer a slave... I think? I found myself in a strange room. A dungeon of some sort, damp, chilly. I could barely see my hand in front of my face so I dopped to one knee and tried to feel my way to the wall. As I inched towards some random wall which I wasn't sure existed I brushed against something polished and brittle. As my hand rubbed acrossed this object it crumbled.
"My head the noises make it stop."
I clinched my eyes tighter and clasped my hands around my ears. It was deafening yet it was inaudible; then it stopped.
Woosily I opened my eyes to find a torch lit in the corner providing enough light to reveal the pile of bones my hand inadvertantly brushed across. This was some death chambe I thought. I approached the torch and found a small piece of parchment rolled up in the corner. I opened it and began to read the text. Some of it had faded but I made out the following:
'Cungrets ja mad it. Git out if ja can. They culdnt. Use tha turch ind fien ur way'.
This cryptic message was just the beginning of what I feared would be the end of me. But what else could I do but follow those instructions. I grabbed the torch and mad my way to the pile of bones. Not wanting to disturb the dead but feeling compelled to just have I look I noticed the most beautiful jewel I had ever seen. I was enthralled. I couldn't have stopped my had if I had wanted to as it inched closer to that beautiful prize. As I closed my fingers around it I was blinded by a bright flash of light and pain shot through my limbs. I dropped the torch and fell to one knee, but I couldn't release this gem. I could feel it burning my hand and tormenting my mind but I couldn't let go. It was taking over. The power.. no I must fight.. no the power.. fight damn you then darkness.

As I came to the gem was gone. I looked at my and, no burns, no blood... WHAT! Where the jewel once was there I now was an axe. It was as light as a feather. I couldn't.. how is this.. my mind was flooded with questions
*a whisper*"In time Rodon in time"

*shouting*"Who said that show yourself" as I stood up and wielded the axe.

*the whisper*"In time all of your questions will be answered. Now pick up the torch and move to the wall on your right. I have been watching you and you are my chosen one"

"Why should I listen to you. You won't even show yourself. Come out and fight like a man."

*the whisper*"Look into the blade of the axe and you will see me"

*As I looked*"I see nothing but my own reflection, what game are you playing."

*the whisper*"As I said now you see me. Move!"

"What are you - No it can't be - how - wha - I can't breaa... -"
I collapsed.

*the whisper*"They never listen. He will come around in due time" *the hiss* *menacingly*"Yes and then he will be mine" *the whisper*"Quiet, he doesn't need to know about us yet"

rdjparadis

Post by rdjparadis »

Posted 11/22/05 04:14 (GMT) -- lilesjr

As I come to I can feel the throbbing in my head.

"What happened?"

As my vision clears and adjusts to the dark -- "What happened to the lights - I can see in the dark?"

My head is full of confusion and disaray. What is going on I think to myself. I notice I still have the strange ax in my hand and I am no longer in that room. Surveying my surroundings I notice that there is a slight incline just to my front and a wall to my back and sides. "Well I guess there is only one way to go." So I head for the incline. As I approach the top I notice a large metal door. It couldn't be opened I think, but what the heck it is worth a try. I grab the handle and pull. My muscles strain as the door begins to give. A slow steady creak follows and the door cracks open. A gush of wind rushes past me and an odor of death fills the corridor. "There is no turning back now." I finishes opening the door and peer inside the room. It is some large chamber, octogon in shape with a table in the middle of the room. I can't see what is on the table but there is a faint glow emitting from something. I enter the room. I follow the wall to see if there is a door, no such luck. "Well I guess the table is where they want me, so I will oblige them."

I approach the table and notice that there is a semicircle surrounding it with strange writing. As I investigate the writing I realize that it is from no language that I speak but looks ancient. The table is covered in this same cryptic writing. As I look over the top of the table I notice the item that is giving off the faint glow. A necklace, with the most beautiful stone I have ever seen imbedded in the center. I can't help but reach for it. I clasp my hand around it and suddenly the room is washed over in light. I cover my eyes but it is still blinding. I place the necklace in my pocket and the light dims. I open my eyes and in front of me about twelve feet is the most hideous creature I have ever saw. I step back - the creature is about my height and appears to have been human at one point, but most of its flesh is falling off. In one hand it holds a large sword in the other a shield. Instinct takes over I grasp my ax and move to a defensive posture as I stalk the creature. It doesn't notice me yet, but you can't be too careful. When I am three feet away the creature turns and in a deep moan "Who has broken my slumber, show yourself."

It has no eyes. *Louder*"Show yourself I said" Realizing that I have the jump on this creature I lunge and swing my ax, nothing. My blade passes right through him.

"Masster I am sorry I didn't know it was you. What iss you bidding?"

Master, what is he talking about I am no master.

rdjparadis

Post by rdjparadis »

Posted 12/03/05 22:21 (GMT) -- lilesjr

It has been ten years since that fateful day in the tower. I met Balazynx - a construct of some sorts. Why me, I often thought. If only I would have stayed home or faced that moster that killed my uncle. If only I would have stayed in the mines I could have kept my humanity. If.....

I am now seeking aid from any adventurer who thinks they are up to the task. I can no longer leave my tower you see, but you may come to me. I have many chores and errands that you could do for me. I will reward you with great riches and maybe, if you are lucky make you my apprentice. If you can pass my challenge then maybe I will spare your life, maybe I will help you become a champion like me.

Taken from the jounal of Rodon Marshald. It is rumored that he lives in a tower deep in the forest. On certain nights you can hear the moaning of his creations. And every so often a doorway appears to allow the bravest adventurers passage.