Progress post 21 (2022): A pond for the mill and a stickfence for Meggins
General public discussion and advertisement area for this project.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist, Black Rider

Black Rider
ctp: Yes
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Progress post 21 (2022): A pond for the mill and a stickfence for Meggins

Post by Black Rider »

I was a bit lazy with posts but I’m still continue with this set when I find the time and energy. So here is an update on the Mill and Meggins:

I. A pond (and dam) for the mill:
By pure coincidence I was reading something about watermills and many of them used a pond to hold back water and control the amount of water flowing towards the mill wheel. I liked the idea to implement something like that into the tileset. But it was missing a dam/flood control-tile. But the set has (as does the later released TNO-set) a slope stream tile (dls01/tno01_b82_01) and an slope stream end tile (dls01/tno01_m73_05). So I used these two as a base to create a slope stream dam/flood control-tile:

Since it made more sense to me, that the straight part of the mill stream (instead of the curved part) has a better current to drive the mill wheel, I reversed the animation, so now a straight flow from the millpond to the mill wheel through the dam/flood control can be build:
So the mill group is finished!

II. A stickfence for Meggins:
If you check the topmost screens in Progress post 18 (2021): Meggins:
https://harvestmoonconsortium.com/forum ... 885f1ea549
… you will notice, that the fence is a plane. The lost fence texture is called dls01_stk_rail.tga. I think, “stk” is maybe “stick”, so maybe many little sticks between the fence poles? Though I already designed an alternative fence (see post 18), this “maybe-stick” thing kept lingering in my mind! So I decided to give it a try and design a stickfence texture, which can be applied to that original fence plane object.

As written before: I’m not very good at creating textures from scratch. Especially if it comes to shading parts of the texture, so they get some simulated depth. I had to find a different way to get a working stickfence texture! So what I did is to create simple shapes for the sticks of the fence in Blender…
… and texture them with a DLA-texture.
Now, of course, these could have been used, but it would have raised the poly count enormously and I wanted to stick to the original design = the fence as a plane.

Then, in Blender, I created a scene with the camera positioned and the scene light creating some shading:

The Blender-background is set to green, so it is easier to remove. From this I took a render/screenshot and continued to work in an image editing program - doing some color adjustments, adding the nail heads and getting an alpha.
The result is this:

This way it got the DLA-texture feeling and it fits quiet well - IMO. So here are some pics of the final Meggins group:

So also the Meggins group is finished!

At this stage, all groups are in a pretty good shape! But still there is some things left to do. Here is a selection:
- The edge tile
- Recheck the windows of Tika (I just placed some without checking the interior, because the exterior has not any set)
- Maybe add a few windows to the Seeker group
- Recheck water tiles, because clean models added a repair node (back then)
- Recheck minimaps

BUT… I hope, that I’m getting nearer to an end with this set! :)