Transendental Ponderings on the Rhythms of Life
This forum is for anyone to put their PC's stories down for other servers than Anchorome and Harvestmoon both long dead. Many may read them and get some inspiration for their own characters or for dming from their adventures.
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Transendental Ponderings on the Rhythms of Life

Post by Winterhawk99 »

The bounty hunter watches the big minotaur with the silver rings in his horns pass him with just a bit of trepidation and wonder. The Brute carries two wolf bodies. One on each shoulder. He follows the near monstrous creature at a safe distance.
The minotaur neatly lies the bodies down by the fire at the local campsite. He then sits down crossing his legs, back against one of the sitting logs and places the palm of his hand on one of the wolf's shoulders. The bounty hunter cautiously walks to the log circle round the fire and sits down across from brute.
The first thing he sees is that the other's eyes look to be staring into the fire and seem to be completely unfocused. The minotaur is wearing simple clothing made of cotton or cotton like material. Taking a chance, the hunter walks up to the beast and slowly waves his hand in front of its eyes. There is no reaction. The minotaur is hardly even breathing. Curious the bounty hunter goes back to his seat and waits to see if the black giant falls over or comes out of whatever trance he has succumbed too.
He checks his merchandise wagon several times and places more wood on the fire. While waiting. The minotaur finally comes out of his state of mind takes a water skin and drinks deeply from it. He looks over to the bounty hunter and holds out the skin in offering.
Not wanting to offend the bounty hunter takes the skin and drinks finding it is indeed only water. He is slightly disappointed, "Thank you. You're a strange sight for these parts?"
The minotaur accepts the skin back takes another drink and snorts, "I must seem strange. I see no other bull since coming to Ansalon. Kadesh is my name, stranger."
"Daniel. Say, what you planning to do with these wolves? Pelts don't look damaged at all."
"I think I burn them with honors after I have understanding of them."
"...……. Right. I don't quite get what you mean."
The minotaur snorts again, "May I ask questions?"
"Ah sure. What the hells. You seem like a good enough fellow."
"I don't have much knowledge of wolves. They attack me. I am looking to understand why they attack me. These wolves they travel as family not twos. If I understand?"
"Usually around 8 to 20 in a pack. We call them packs not family."
"So why only two. And why attack a minotaur. We are much bigger and stronger than they. Normally it would take 4 maybe 5 to bring one of my people down?"
He looks over to the wolves, "Well that is a good question. I don't know either."
"I meditate on this. and look at wolves. There are many ticks and flees on skin. Fur I wear fur sometimes this fur it doesn't feel right feels old, patchy. You know of wolves? Maybe know more than me?"
The bounty hunter stands and feels one of the wolf's furs and looks back to the big fellow nodding, "I know this it's called distemper by us. Their fur falls out. They get lethargic and die. There is no cure if a dog gets it."
The minotaur nods to him, "I think this while meditating. Best I can understand is wolves know they die soon. Pack throws them out so not to taint others. These two seek honorable death and find me. Therefore, they die honorably not wasting away by painful death. This is what I see in meditation. So will burn them with honors. I think Emperor would be pleased by this."
"I thought minotaurs lived in clans. I never heard of an Emperor?"
The minotaur laughs, "Emperor is not a minotaur. Emperor is one of the gods my clan follows. He is god of warfare but warfare with point to find peace. You humans know this god. You call him...…… Kiri-Jolith I think. Is bison god son of great dragon.
The bounty hunter raises and eyebrow, "Well what do you know. A good minotaur clan? What are the odds of that?"
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Re: Transendental Ponderings on the Rhythms of Life

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Kadesh almost missed him. A league Bull plying his merchandise just south of Solace along the riverbank. With the bull is a half-ogre also plying merchandise. He does not know if they are a team or in competition with one another.
He approaches the bull to see what he has to say.
The bull looks him over, "Brother of the Horn! Yes, I know of you. Your god has courage and honor but is weak of heart. Tis better to follow the great Sargas as he will defeat the emperor in the final battle. I have met your brothers on several occasions. They have strength but like your god are soft within your souls. Still. I respect your strengths and prowess even where there is also weakness." He bows.
Kadesh nods to the merchant, "Kadesh of Ganthysos And you are of Taladas?"
"Yes, from the imperial league. The blood sea brothers brought me here to trade with the little people. Why are you here Kazelatian?"
"I am on my walk of wisdom, Taladian."
"A poor choice. These small ones have no Circus to test yourself. These people are soft and have no wisdom. They have little honor and no courage. Even now the our blood sailor kin make great strides to conquer the east against the knife ears. Soon a vast area will be ours to colonize so that we may vanquish the humans and use them to do the menial tasks for which they are made."
"If we follow our forbearers down this road of conquest and slavery then the gods themselves will curse us as they did the ogres from which we sprang, brother Taladian."
"Ha, You do not know your histories Kadesh. T'was chaos that brought us to being not the gods. You may call me Cinmac for you have the fire of debate with in you. I recognize that so you may call me by name Brother of the Horn."
"Tis true Chaos changed us but not for the will of the gods Chaos would have been chained and we would be ogres. I know my history Cinmac as all Kazelatians do. I challenge you to mediate on the workings of what brought chaos to be unleashed upon the world in the first place."
"Bah! Meditations are for Priests and monks to mull over ideas. it confuses the mind with unnecessary thoughts for warriors like myself; five times a circus champion in my youth. No offense brother of the horn monks of the orders meditate from a purpose of their own. I am just saying it is not a warriors way."
"No offense taken, Cinmac. Think on this. You are a merchant. Why is a five-time champion of the circus reduced to vending a stall in Ansalon? I would wager it is age. If a warrior mediates upon their being for but the time it takes the sun to move hoof-length his strength and stamina would never falter even with age creeping upon his bones."
"Ha! Brothers always talk in circles and why is that? It is because they fill their heads up with nothingness. When you do this you become weak of heart and hold the Emperor above the great Sargas. I will no longer speak of philosophy with one who preaches and prepares for such clashes of ideas. What would you like with a poor merchant, Kadesh of the horn?"
"Would you have anything that a poor brother would need?"
"There are times when I do, brother. At this time mostly no. Some of the little ones trade for my marshal wares with items one of the orders would desire. Today I have nothing other than salves and bandages for your wounds not that you would need it. I hear that brothers as quick as you have the ability to heal yourselves."
"I would like to see these salves. I can heal myself with ki however I explore dangerous territories here. I find on this continent there is no one that sells what a brother would need. Still I have my training and will prevail to complete my walk and join my brothers to teach others about the journey of wisdom."
"The small ones no not the art of monks. It is a great advantage of our people. Even now many of the Brotherhood of the hoof are joining the fight on the eastern part of the continent. They will slaughter the knife ears and we will claim their territory for our own.
"When we are finished brother Kadesh would you join me for dinner. I would hear more of the Kazelatians and I would not want to offend the emperor for turning away a brother without a good meal and drink."
"I would be honored, Cinmac. Perhaps we may reflect upon the future and gain insight from one another this night."
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Re: Transendental Ponderings on the Rhythms of Life

Post by Winterhawk99 »

As with Cat the displaced I am placing his introduction story at the end instead of the beginning. both characters have come from a dragonlance world that no longer is active. I had to search for the introduction stories. That is why both stories are at the end of the thread instead of the top.

Breath, Hold, Exhale slowly.
Breath, Hold, Exhale.
Emperor. He say strength is not in body nor knowledge. Strength is in understanding.
Breath, Hold, Exhale.
leave thoughts unfocused so that new understanding emerges.
Honor, integrity, unity the forces that when brought bare cannot be defeated even in death.
Breath, Hold, Exhale.
We the people of the Emperor. We are unlike our brothers of the Blood sea. The senseless slaughters of the circus. Yes, we have a circus but not until death. The defeated walk away still with honor. Those of the circus they know weapons. Need weapons. They do not know the body is in itself a weapon that once forged is unstoppable. But why one needs make a weapon when peace is goal?
Breath, Hold, Exhale.
Lasting peace only comes from strength that is the lesson of the Emperor. This, This is understanding.
Breath, Hold, Exhale.

After morning meditation the young bull walks up to the temples stairs and waits. Presently an older bull in black robes walks up to him. The young bull bows respectfully.
"I have solved the riddle of the Emperor, master."
"Have you Kadesh? How many times have you stood upon these stairs and proclaimed that you have solved the riddle?
"This time, Master I am sure."
"Go on then."
"Lasting peace can only be achieved through strength and understanding of both body, mind and soul master. Whether this be in ones self or a community. This is why we train tirelessly. This is why the enemies of justice fear when clan takes the battlefield for they know that through our strengths in these things we cannot be conquered."
The old bull smiles a rarity for one of his caste, "You have solved the riddle Kadesh. The temple can teach you no more. For you to become a teach now you must walk the world and learn its lessons. I will happily walk with you during the ceremony into the enclave and be the first to call you brother.

The two walk inside. A ceremony begins. The young bulls horns are carved with ringed grooves and molten silver is placed within the graves. He is given new robes and a walking stave. The master walks up to him.
"How do you feel brother Kadesh?"
"Elated master, It has taken many years of study."
The old master laughs, "I am no longer your master Kadesh. I am your brother. You may call me by my rightful name Nesh. Have you thought about where you will start your walk of wisdom?"
"Yes, Brother Nesh. I will start my walk in Ansalon."
The old bull looks surprised, "A brave start. Not many would venture to a place where misunderstanding of our clan would cause strife. I will schedule a ship for you. Come back when you have learned all you can. Show us that you have mastered understanding of the races and you will take our place as each generation must replace the next."
"Thank you brother Nesh. I will pack my things. Long life and unity to you."
"May the emperor watch over you on your journey my brother."
The two swing their heads clacking their right horns together and then they depart. Each to his own ends.
CTP team member