Barasume Miwa
This forum is for anyone to put their PC's stories down for other servers than Anchorome and Harvestmoon both long dead. Many may read them and get some inspiration for their own characters or for dming from their adventures.
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Re: Barasume Miwa

Post by Winterhawk99 »

The long days are here and with it the heat of summer. For some reason the seasons here are much more drastic than at home. The winters are cold, very cold. Snow forms and drifts in the lowlands as well as at the tops of mountains. In summer the heat of the day tests even my senses of comfort.

Still the quest must go on. Again, I feel the residual power deep within my blade. I have been able to tap into the part of my essence placed into it when I was young. The blood ritual every Onna-bugeisha goes through when their blade is made for them. Once again, I am becoming whole with the part of me infused into my weapon.

It has been two weeks since I have met Master Z. I have yet to find adamantine. The mastery of my current blade has occupied all of my time. Still, I have met with Samwell yesterday. We planned a trip deep into underdark to find the precious ore to make the perfect blade. I have found 3 more jasmal this outing. So now have 2 wolverine pelts and 4 jasmal, and my original katana which will be melted down and added to this new blade. I will look for other items to use and before the work starts ask both Master Z and Samwell what is best to use in the making of the new sword.

Another point to make is while Samwell and I were discussing things at the guild we found something called an adamantine helm in its shop. The cost is 20,000 in coin. He suggested that perhaps the helm could be melted down and reused in my blade's manufacture but hesitated because he did not know if it was truly made from the rate metal.

During this last outing I have met several new people; Two of which set my nerves on edge. The first is a human named Asher. A large man with many open tattoos. At first, I thought him yakuza, but he is too prideful and blatant in his aggressions. He likes to taunt me and my ways while in the commons. I seem to be a target of his angst in some way, for some unknown reason. I would have taken his head if I was home, however I am not home and in command of my husband's territory. I must abide by the western law of these lands. I must come up with a way to trawl his bitter irritations. In the least he is just a sand flea that digs under the skin and takes tiny bites. A harmless nuisance that should be treated as such. I think this is the perspective I should take with this irritating man.

The other is an archer who claims to be the best alive in the world. I forget his name something like Elidor Moonfeather or something similar. I met the sharp ear last outing when Makoto staged an exploration of underdark. He was and is a competent archer. In fact, better than most, however his arrogance knows no bounds.

I met him again in the commons. Again, he went on about being the best archer that ever lived. Thau'lira was in the commons with me along with Ichiro. (I have not mentioned Ichiro yet because the bushi may have dishonored himself by claiming the title of samurai when he is not. I did not personally see it so the jury, so to speak, on his indiscretion. I did warn him not to take a title he does not truly hold. He knew enough to be respectful when we spoke of it.)

Where was I? oh yes. Thau'lira was there along with Ichiro. We took him to the range at the Witch and Seer. There we tested his abilities.

Ichiro sat down right in front of the target. Elidor went to the expert distance of the range (about 50 yards). As Elidor was preparing for his shot, his arrowhead lit up with a blue light. I saw his lips softly chanting like a wu-jen preparing a spell. When he shot: The arrow went around Ichiro and hit the bullseye behind him.

Using magic to augment your abilities is not a true test of any archer's or warrior's abilities. I was disappointed. Having seen enough, I went to the rooftop garden at the Witch and Seer to speak to Ryuu. He will always own a piece of my heart. My gentle husband that died too soon.
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa looks up to the sun before writing in her little camp. The air is both hot and dry. It is comfortable for her. She then looks at her journal a moment sighing beginning to write.

I went to town for two days after studying, meditating and training for 10 days. Much happened in those 4 days. Some things I somewhat regret. Some things that give me hope that I will find the metal I am looking for. I only have one more month to find it. Otherwise, I will use the other metal suggested. Mithril.

The first major thing that happened was a meeting of a new woman in town from high hold. Her name is Rika. She wanted to go exploring to the south. I an elven by the name of Ediuth and another elven male a mage went with her.

We went south of Norwick fighting hobgoblins. All being quiet experienced the hobgoblins had no chance. We wandered our way into troll lands where giant beetles and other creatures lurked finding ourselves at the edge of bugbear lands. I cautioned them on just where we where and knew this would be very dangerous.

Coming to a bottle neck and peering around Rika informed us there was some form of meeting going on deep in the woods and hills at the edge of these lands. There were several humans in the forest about 2 dozen. She rattled off the names of western gods I do not know. Malar, Auril, and Sylvanius. It seems this was a meeting of people that can use the magic of nature. Eventually some saw us and went to investigate angry that we had come to the meeting. They attacked us with the full forces of their magic and marshal skill.

At first the four of us did well until the leader of the meeting with the rest of them rushed us. I heard one of my companion’s shout “Elder Druid!” We were in trouble. Rika went down. The two elven started to flee. I was in a desperate battle to hold them off so that the elven could escape. I went down with honor holding the horde of nature people off so they may escape.

I woke up in the temple of Chauntea in Norwick disappointed in myself but thankful I lost no connection with my blade. Ryuu was watching, I think.

Earlier I dared explore the secret room in the ice goblin caves with Ichiro Shimazu; a bushi from the land of Wa. There are a few from Wa here. I have not met another from Kozakura. We found a great dwarven refinery still operating without any dwarf in sight. There were mechanical spiders and mechanical men working the foundry. I jumped at the idea that there may be some of the metal I need here. We explored the entirety of the top level to find platinum ore, copper ingots, jasmal and sunfire stones. Finding a door that leads lower into the abyss we used caution and did not explore further.

The next day I met Samwell and told him about the place. He did not recognize it. I was determined to explore more of this foundry. Just before going back to camp, I took Raazi, Axe, Ediuth and others. We again explored the top level of this foundry then went down deeper exploring the next level deeper within the earth. We found platinum, gold, and electrum spider machines along with iron and copper golems. These fights with the machines were much harder. The iron golems can instill magic fear. Something I find myself susceptible to. In the last room was a giant iron golem. We fought it down. When finished we found a doorway going down, but it was choked and clogged with debris. We all vowed to come back with picks and shovels to free the doorway and explore deeper into this place.

Two days into my 4 in public I was riding from Norwich to Peltarch when Lucian riding like a madman crashed into Pickles and myself. I was wearing a dress. He put a large bruise on pickles, tore my dress and almost knocked the both of us over. Instead of stopping offering assistance and apologizing he continued riding off at a crazy pace. Angry I gave chase. He went into the spider woods. I had to break it off because I was not in armor and ready to fight giant spiders while trying to chase him down.

The next day I caught him sitting in the commons. I went up to him and punched him in the face. Screaming about what he had done. I was so angry. Not so much in the crash. Dresses can be resewn, Pickles will recover. It was in the cowardly way he ran away. He would not admit his mistake. I was leaving angerly when a constable a red head with a mustache charged me 300 gold for getting into a fight. He did not see what had happened along the path, so I paid without putting up a fuss and left the area. Still, it now looks I was the one in the wrong even though I did get justice in the end.

The last day I found him again in the commons. I could not help but taunt him on his lack of etiquette and his egotistical self-absorption. He challenged me to a fight and walked off. I went to the place he told me ready for a good fist fight. I found him on his warhorse and in full armor ready for a dual. What did I miss?

I told I was ready to fight or to talk to work out our differences. He only had admit his wrongdoing. I would have attempted to pull his armor off piece by piece and disarm him had there been a fight even if out classed with not armor or weapons. It would be honorable.

I even lied and said I was galloping too fast myself. Something I would not normally do but did for the sake of diplomacy. Now I wish that I had not. It is against the code to bear false witness. He eventually turned round when a few people showed up and left like a coward.

I had thought even though Lucian a brusque and hardened veteran that he had honor. I was sorely disappointed now finding him as egotistically self-centered as many in these western lands. I will not walk with this man now, ever.

Ichiro is in fact a completely different story. When he first came, he claimed to be a samurai. I watched him carefully and when sure called him out on it. He admitted his mistake not so much in words but in actions. This gave me pause and I watched him more traveling with him on several occasions. He does not follow bushido but has his own code. Much of this code involves charity. It seems he was hurt badly on more than one occasion by the samurai of Wa. I cannot say otherwise for I know there are evil men in all walks of life. Samurai are not immune to descending into the evilness of privilege and the pain it can cause.

I find that even though he is not samurai, he is a better man than even some samurai I have known and a bit wiser. He is a good example of a what a bushi can become as a man. I have come to appreciate his presence in both the commons and while exploring the land in my quest.

Just before I left Raazi the one I call crazy (because she is completely out or her mind) had a heart to heart talk. She told me of her nobility and the duality of people. I completely agree with the duality part. I am a bit questioning of the nobility part but then again the west is a strange and mysterious place. Perhaps it is true. I found out that her baby is well taken care of. That at least is a good thing. She realizes she cannot take care of the babe in her condition and has others taking care of it.

I did notice that she does have some insight into the nature of people. I did appreciate our talk before I took leave to come back to camp. She’s still utterly crazy and should be carefully watched but I have never seen her hurt anyone but the foes of the kingdom. That is all I have to write on my 4 day experience. In a few more days after some training and meditation I will again take up my swords and venture out to complete my task.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

It has been some weeks since writing in this journal. My quest continues steadily for both adamantine and to become one with my sword. I have brought others to face the goblins in their mines and the golems of the dwarven foundry. Never thought myself much of a teacher for I am unwise when dealing with others. Still, they seem to appreciate my Prescence and watch what I do carefully as I have watched others in the past. I bought that adamantine helm in the guild store at great cost and two silk bags in Ghauntown.

Ghatntown is deep underground that has a strange market of creatures. Some merchants are Gnolls and strange floating eyes. I was down about 32,000 in coin and have made about 1/2 of that back. I also found a remarkable piece of chainmail for sail. I am not limber enough yet to use it to its full capacity but in time I will be able too.

The only truly inspirational thing that has happen was a talk with Samwell where I told him of my misgivings about the bushido code. Not the code itself but how I have interrupted the code in the past. He helped me think more upon it. I am in camp meditating for 10 days. I plan to go out for some time among the public next time I go into town. I need these 10 days to meditate on the code in depth and to rest.

Once i come back I only have two more weeks to find that special metal. If not I will use mithril for the blade. Hopefully all will be good in the end.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa goes to camp thinking of all that had happened to her over the last week she had been training in the region. She had fought giants, goblins, Lizard folk and many other things. She had gone with an elven called Isendir to dangerous lands and found a wereboar defending its territory. It attacked the two of them. She made it focus on her and went into a defensive stance. In but three blows the mighty monster had rend her shield given her a blow that broke her collarbone and sent it into her lung and thrown her across the valley. She woke up in temple once again.

In another incident involving Raazi the sorcerous she went to a place they called Kront with others to go swimming. A ship at some distance started to fire ballista bolts at the group. Some swam up to the ship. Being in heavy armor she held her shield up to protect the ones beside her. A sergeant of the Peltarch guard called George and two others. one of the bolts had a powder sack that exploded near them. Her armor being fire resistance Miwa was unphased but George and another called the candy mage were. The ship sailed and crashed into the beach exploding. Some of the people that swam to the ship were thrown off. Luckily no one died. There was some treasure retrieved. Then the strangest thing happened. the ship reassembled itself and sailed away. the captain at the wheel. Some form of ghost ship. Miwa had never seen such a sight.

The last incident became deeply personal and shook her to the bone. Miwa takes a sheet of paper on it and writes a letter to someone she has much feeling for since she has set up in Narfell. It is written in High Shou her native language being a noble woman of her homeland. She hopes he will get it translated so he may know what had happened to her.

Dear Samwell,

It is Miwa of the Barasume clan. I am writing to let you know I am not dead. You have been a mentor and friend since I have arrived in this region so I write to you to explain why you will no longer see me. I had planned to train much longer here possibly to complete my quest. It is no longer possible to do this.

The last place I was training was in the goblin pass. I was in the first area with a shack by a lake. I had already cleared the immediate area when I heard something. I wandered to the northeast corner. against the mountains. There are three singing crystals there. their song sweeps across the little valley along this part of the pass. What I heard is that song had changed for some unknowable reason.

Seeing this as a sign, and knowing the valley was clear of enemies, I sat down between them and began to meditate. It did not take long before a sparrow flew up from the pines below and perched on a rock in front of me. As I considered it the little bird grew and transformed into the form of a woman. She wore a grey robe and carried a staff in one hand and an hourglass in the other. Her hair was made of feathers. Her eyes remained those of a bird. I knew at once she was Hengeyokai.

She told me that her name is Haruki and that she is a servant of Namikami the goddess that created the Kozakura islands with her twin brother god. A priestess I would guess. She told me that I must leave these lands and go west for those that would stand against me gather in shadow. I did not understand why there would be those that stand against me. I have ever the purpose of my quest and have done my best to bother no one. I said nothing confused by her words. she nods to me seemingly knowing my confusion. She said, "I thought that would be the case. Look into the hourglass, Miwa." She turned it. Something happened. It made my head dizzy then I had a vision."

In the vision a bandit king of some kind rallied hundreds of troops and surrounded Peltarch. They demanded things from the city. One of them the one that had beheaded so many of his men. The king met them along with many like the man that owns the tower Jonni. there was Isolde, Ros, Lucien, George, Asha, Meadow even Raazi and more. After they spoke with the bandit king, they searched the city for me. I was in the commons sewing like I usually do. They surrounded me and started talking to me. Because there were so many that abandoned me, I got up and started to bow as to leave the scene so that peace may still be attained. Lucian then punched me from behind on the back of the head.

I tried using my jujitsu being no one had weapons but there were too many of them. They got my weapons away from me then beat me into submission. Lucian breaking my legs so I could not move. They then dragged me before the Bandit king. I was almost dead already.
The bandit king lifted me up and tied me to a post. He doused me with oil and lit me on fire. As I screamed, I looked out to those I had known. Some smiled, Some, just had that gleam of victory in their eyes. All were proud of what they had done. As I screamed out with my last breath the vision ceased. I saw the last grain fall to the top of the sand pile within the glass.

"If you stay Miwa-san this will be your fate. Lord Barasume still has purpose for you if you succeed in your quest. A purpose far greater than was told to you. You must move one to another land. Concentrate on your quest." With that she turned her back, transformed back into a sparrow and flew off to the east.

A servant of the 8 million has spoken Samwell. I must leave these lands and find another to train in. I will always value our talks by the fire, The wisdom you tried to impart to me, and a friendship I will cherish the rest of my day. I am also sorrowful I must leave but I must for the betterment of your community and the betterment of my own quest to become a true mistress of the blade.

Sorrowfully

Miwa, Onna-bugeisha, of the Barasume clan.

Miwa seals the letter with a tear in her eyes knowing most likely she will never see Samwell again. She packs the rest of her things and heads to Norwick where Samwell makes his home. She drops the letter off at the crafter's guild. From there she measures the wind. She looks south, then west undecided. She looks down at Pickels her war horse while patting him on the neck. "We go Southwest and see what there is to see. Find a community where I may continue my quest in peace." She guides him down the path headed back to the Golden Way.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa sits by a campfire for adventurers close to an inn called The Bait and Tackle. She sees no one but the local knights patrolling around the inn's general vicinity. The environment is much warmer than the last place she trained. It is an Island far west of the sword coast called Thain. She looks up at the blue sky then back to her journal. She writes.

It has been six months since last I wrote in this journal. After my vision I packed my things and left. I stayed at a place called Impiltur for several weeks. Finding the small nation lacking in good training grounds I moved on to the coast. There is a city of splendors there with many people. I kept quite looking for a place to train but the people there were much like the people of Narfell. Most corrupt by ideas of self and not community.

They have a large harbor. I politely asked questions on what lies across the western sea and if there were any place wild enough where I could train for my mission. I was given many, many answers of the strange lands beyond the ocean. One of these intrigued me. It is an island nation by the name of Thain. I carefully spoke to people of other places keeping my questions on point. From all I have gathered this is the best place to go. I then found a ship to this Island and paid board to travel there.

Here these people, although much the same stock as the other western nations, are more sedate and affordable. I am careful to keep my conversation sparse and direct. No one bothers me as I have set up and started to knock the rust off my swords. It is better this way. I will no longer trust these westerners and their selfish ways. I will be polite but will disengage except if a greater evil infects the lands and I am needed by the islanders to help with some great evil that means to control or destroy them.

Thus far no one has bothered me. I have seen a few adventurers pass by me near this inn at a crossroads to many other places. It is best this way. There is only trouble when east meets west and I have a greater mission for my Daimyo. I must continue my quest to become one with my sword so that I may teach other women what I have learned and to warn them not to go into these lands of chaos and vise.

Thus far I have tried to help a farmer. I completed his mission, but the healer still does not understand why his cows are sick. I helped the local innkeeper with a badger problem by hunting down a sick badger and taking its heart. Afterward he asked if I could find a lost magnifying glass the little lizards in the area stole. I have gone down into the kobold layer several times each time deeper and have yet to find this magnifying glass as of yet. only a mirror which I could not sell so put in the trash.

I rest now by the fire here and meditate while thinking on where this glass may be withing the lair. The chief did not have it. I will go again in a few weeks after rigorous non-combatant training in the safety of the village. I hear there are other towns and cities, but I must complete this mission before moving on.

On a good note, I am told if I continue to sail west for three months, I will round the world and come back to my home in Kozakura. It gives me a little more time to complete this mission and find out about what the hengeyokai told me of Daimyo Barasume and what plans he has for me if I am successful in my quest.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

I have completed the quest with the help of a barbarian female. I forget her name. The magnifying glass was recovered, and the inn keeper was pleased awarding us with a some of coin. After completing the task, I was asked for another which was obviously too hard to complete after talking to the ruler of the island. This Shogun or emperor? I do not know the correct term is called Lord Bargus. Upon hearing his request, I knew that it was too much for me to do alone at this time, so I went back to the Inn and rested near a special place set up for adventurers.

When I was fully rested, I found two people in the camp. One a female called Sihve and a male from the country of Thay. He intrigued me more than Sihve but I keep my own counsel on that. the male's name is Seth Galanderos. He fancies himself a red wizard of Thay, yet he does not display the usual countenance of one of his breed. An interesting individual to say the least.

Our conversation gravitated to slavery. It seems that many in Seth's country have lifelong slaves. In Kozakura slavery is the usual punishment for those that cannot pay their debts to others. It is not lifelong for most offenses. When the slave pays their debt to family or clan, they become a free person.

I explained that to SIhve and she seemed to be much more endowed to my way of thinking. One should pay all debts either in monetary value or with work from their brow. Sihve seemed to like the reasoning behind my position so there is hope here that I will not be harassed as I was in Narfell.

As Samwell said; I should never trust western ideas and I will not. I will endeavor to follow the way of the sword and keep quiet my position because I am not an orator or one who has understanding enough to play the games or politics. I am called to duty. A duty to my lord to complete an impossible quest. I will accomplish this quest and move on to greater things according to my Lord, family and clan.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

After 4 days of heavy training Miwa recedes to a quiet grove on the island near to where the hunter's guild makes its meetings. A few bandits disturb her, but she quickly dispatches them and posts their heads. Though she would no longer post heads along the roads here she feels safer with their heads on stakes to show the seriousness that she would like to be left alone. Hopefully the message will be viewed as it should: Do not disturb or there will be consequences.

She sets up her camp then practices Kiko for several hours (a Kozakurian form of Qigong) to build up her ki. When finished with that she sits down and writes in her journal.

Once again, I have been pulled back to this western society. I have met many people and carefully walk and observe their manners. I try to be like still water and only comment on certain parts of my prospective to others. I question some I think would be more gracious to my way of thinking.

My first major encounter this foray with individuals I met three people. Sydney a human huntress. Calfadric a herald for the common people. Many here can read and write. He produces papers and writes articles about the area and its people. The last was Kellendill. Kellendill (who I will call Kell for now. Not out of disrespect but for the privacy of my journal and simplicity) is an elven blade master of renown in the lands. He inherited a vast library of eastern swordplay books and culture from his father.

The first thing he did once he knew my station was to warn me that here, I have no right to Kiri-sute gomen. That is to strike one of lower class and abandon the body for affronting my honor. He then told me about himself and offered to help me in my quest by teaching me the finer points of swordplay.

After a time of watching him, I agreed. It is because I know he knows much about my culture and seems to have my best interest in mind. Thus, I will call him Sensei while I am in his presence. As long as he treats me honorably, I will willingly learn from him.

The last person I really got to know is a woman that calls herself Miryn. She is a half-elven and a daughter of a knight. I first met her just before I joined her group to hunt hobgoblins and orcs in the north. As we went through the enemy caves, I noticed that like I she never picked up any treasure but let the other companions do it as I also do not like to do. It is a sign of someone more reserved than the average adventurer.

On the afternoon of my last day of practice I met her again and asked for her help to defeat two mighty opponents. One an owlbear that wanders in caves with strange crystals. The other a Sinister gnoll shaman for the hunter's guild. We made our way north together. I questioned her on her past. She was reserved and quite vague about it but I did get that even though her parents were knights she was not.

She is tall and very strong: a good companion but questions her role in this life. Perhaps I may be able to help her. Perhaps I may not. We shall see. We were pressed by bad tactics during our encounter with the gnolls. They are fierce opponents. I was knocked out. Miryn kicked me in the head to wake me up and I quickly healed and bandaged my wounds. before more showed up.

These gnolls they like to use fear and mind magic to make you dizzy leaving you open to attack. I must be more cautious if I meet them again.

There were others I met and got to know a little, a girl named Brehnna, a young adventurer by the name of Croy and a wu-jen dwarven fellow who quests for flint. Thats all I will write of my experiences these last four days. Now I must meditate and practice alone. Perhaps I will be able to find new truths while doing so. I shall train again after another 8 or 9 days so that I may get closer to my goal: Becoming one with my sword.

He took me out with a group once and watched. He is very good and does not carry a horsewhip. He seems patient with me. I have even changed my group tactics upon his advice. He also suggested a round shield instead of the heater shield I carry now when I need to be defensive. I still owe him 10,000 in coin from our time together. We could not sell what we found on the orcs and hobgoblins before he separated from the group on business. I know if I tell him, it is his share he will refuse. I will tell him it is payment for his services if he gives me this trouble. He is owed this coin for his part in our endeavors to clean out the orc population. He must except it. It would be dishonorable of me to keep it.

The next person of interest I encountered is an elven by the name of Elvalith. The first time she spoke to me she warned me of a cult Endarises. She did not give me any more information. She simply said they were not to be trusted.

The next day while walking between the crossroads and the big city I found her at the top of a hill mounted on a horse. She seemed to be in deep meditation. I bowed and continued on. Coming back, I found her still there. I asked her if something was wrong. She looked at me and asked if I had ever heard of a potion called 'Saints Blood?' I did not and told her as much. She told me she was looking for some. I told her that if I found any, I would speak to her about it and continued on my way.

I encountered the elven later that day. We wound up together and found ourselves far north and east of the crossroads a place I believe they call Hesany. I should take better notes of the geography. There we were at a western temple. I was looking for the temple shop to stock up on curatives. A renowned knight came upon the two of us. I believe she was looking for this knight to speak with. His name is Sir Lott. He is called the lion of the north. It is much like my own nickname the wolverine of the Barasume clan.

As she spoke to him, I stood back with respect and listen to their conversation. Elvalith seems to be involved with this cult in some way. She is a part of their temple. The saint's blood she told him comes from the blood of a special child being kept at the temple. She also stated that this cult is able through some device can change the minds of others to be more receptive to their wishes. She also stated that this special child is not physically being held by the cult. That she chooses to stay.

At this moment I had to reply and said that not all prisons have bars. The story reminded me of my own story. How father systematically built a prison around me to be completely loyal and subservient to the ideas of bushido and those who stand above me. Do I regret this? Sometimes as I have watched my sisters walk a different path than my own with their still pretty faces and bodies. Still, this is what life has made me and I have long ago accepted my place in society and the duties of my station to my Daimyo, clan and family. It is who I am now and rarely reflect upon except when I may afford too as now.

Elvalith's face contorted and strained her emotions running rampant on her face as she spoke. I disapproved but said nothing as they conversed about the young girl and her situation. Afterward when she was finished speaking with Sir Lott and we walked back to the crossroads I tried to council her on letting her emotions show plainly on her face. I told her nobility is in the heart not in the clothes or the face or in intentions. To wear your emotions plainly does you a disservice when speaking to others that may not think or share your sentiments. She seemed to take it well.

Early in the last day of my training period I was walking with a guardsman by name of Roland. We found a vagrant of sorts. A man disheveled trying to get into a caravan wagon. His arm had been infected, most likely from the dead that walk these lands. It festered with rot and disease. When we questioned him, he seemed to think that the only thing that could save him was in the overturned wagon. He said it was the 'Saints blood potion'

Of course, that drew my interest. We agreed to investigate the wagon. I and Roland both put our shoulders into forcing the door. It broke open easily enough after our combined strength. The two of us walked in to find a few broken bodies and much debris. The sick man came in for a moment and we shooed him out. Roland found a locked container. We thought about breaking it open with a sword but did not. if the contents were fragile, it would destroy them.

We heard the sick man scream from outside that "It is too late!" Roland tucked the case under his cloak, and we stepped outside. There were several men waiting for us there. They seem to be representatives of the nearest town. A town in which many fear because of its ways. Many have told me it is a dark place. Along with the men there were also a few of those little dragons with stinging tails. They wanted the saint's blood.

Tensions were slowly rising and becoming hostile as we negotiated. That is when Sir Lott showed up. I quickly called out the intentions of the two groups so the knight would know the reason why a discussion was going on. After a few more minutes of debate the knight seemed to be intimating to the others enough to leave.

Now that the town people took their leave. The four of us looked at the case. The sick man said he could open the case and produced a set of lockpicks. It made me question the man's background for he obviously knows the ways of the yakuza. He handily picked the lock and opened the case revealing a single vial inside.

There was a discussion on what to do with the vial. Take it to Elvalith or give it to the man to be cured. The badge on the box was the same as Roland's. We decided because Roland was a representative of the organization that owned the potion, he should make the decision on what to do with it. I kept quite due to previous experiences with western idealism but thought that was the proper choice. He decided to give it to the man who drank the potion and was quickly healed.

Here is where I am in a quandary for if it was my choice on what to do with the potion what would I do? By giving the potion to the man instead of to other authorities Roland may have chosen to save one instead of saving many from this cult by turning it in for testing or giving it to Elvalith to do what she needs to do with it.

My father would have beheaded the man. Not only for his stupidity entangling himself with undead but to stop the spread of the disease so as not to spread and also because the community at large had a greater need of the potion.

Roland took the route of saving the man thus putting the individual over the needs of the society at large.

I can find nothing on my meditations on the code on what would be the proper thing to do here. I would have to say that the community had a greater need of the potion which in my mind Elvalith represents because she is trying to stop the cult.

If I truly had to be the one to decide I think I would do it this way. I would start a fire then cut off the man's arm above the rot and cauterize it. Having done that and saving the man's life I would then take the potion to Elvalith to do what she needs to do with it for stopping this cult.

I will consult Kell on this when next I meet him. For I am still uncertain that either my answer or Roland's answer would be the proper thing.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

After her morning exercising at Camp, Miwa sits down and opens her journal.

I spent 4 days among the people. I felt I had to break my word to some others that I would not take heads. I do feel somewhat sorrowful for this. Not for those whose heads I took but for those I made a promise too. An Onna-bugeshia should never break her word. Here is the situation.

There has been a murderer coming to the big city and killing nobles. He or she calls themselves R. Being that this person is a threat to me I made some inquiries about him from Evalith and others during my 4-day outing. Some think that this R finds sanctuary in a place called Dragon's Watch. A city to the north full of all manner of criminals and malcontents. While thinking on these things I went to explore the big city's low town.

I did not get far before being attacked by a yakuza organization that calls itself Lenio's boys. they found out that they were of little threat to me. I defended myself killing them all. As I looked down at the bodies, I came up with a plan to draw this R out. I beheaded all of them (A little more than a dozen) Then flayed the skin of off one the larger men's backs. I put the heads in a pile and turned the flayed skin into a letter to R. It said.

Dear R,

Not all nobles are such easy prey. This is my personal gift to you.

Onna-bugeisha Miwa of the Barasume clan.

I told this to Elvalith She said I was either very brave or very stupid. Then I told her my plan of making myself a target for him. and wanted to lay a trap to take him into custody or kill him. She readily agreed to join my efforts in irradicating this dangerous person from public life. I told her I needed to meditate for five days. She can by all means use my name to act in a manner that would draw this assassin out further into the open so that we may deal with him. When I come back I hope all will be arranged and we may deal with this threat to society.

During my four days with the people of the island I did not come upon Sensei Kellendill, However, did make great progress in my training and helped many people.

I received a bounty from the hunter's guild. There was a witch in the Feywood causing trouble. They wanted me to deal with it. I agreed and went to a heavily wooded area within the forest. I found her quite easily and dealt with her.

On my way back I decided to go directly west because I thought it a shortcut than going north then south again to get back to the crossroads. I did not find the shortcut but instead a magic grove. There was some form of device in the center illuminating a blue light and an odd boulder sitting near it. I investigated the scene wondering if this could be a place of one of the 8 million. As I got closer to the boulder, I became sleepy. The rock seemed to call to me to sleep near it. I sat down with my back against it and dreamed.

In my dream I found myself in a vast expanse filled with stars. Some form of building rose up from underneath the perch I was standing. It stopped a short distance from my platform and level with it. Not one but 4 of the 8 million, beings as tall as mountains rose up from the nothingness. They questioned me at length about strange things. They asked me if I liked cold or warm better. I said warm. They thought that was particular and that most like cold. There were more questions. I answered them as best I could truthfully.

At the end of the conversation, they told me to pick the brightest star I see, and they would give me a gift depending upon which star I picked. I picked a red star. They said that the star is the rift star, and it is cursed. They would not give me a gift. My dream ended.

I am happy that I picked that star because I want nothing I have not truly earned however after this encounter many strange things happened to me that I cannot account for. Many things of magic. Am I; Like the star: Cursed in some way? I do not know but will endeavor to complete my quest for my lord Daimyo.

The first odd thing that happened to me was fighting ogres. The ogres live in a maze underground that someone created for some experiment. I had been trying to find out about them for a ranger that lost her party to them on the road. I had been there already a few times but had been unsuccessful in my attempts to get to the bottom of why they live here. After encountering the 4 gods I went back. This time at times I felt my mind suddenly fortified against attacks of the mind. This magical fortification came and went at random while I was working my way through the maze. This had never happened the previous times I was there. I got far but not far enough and had to turn back to find someone to fight with me.

The next thing that happened is while walking from the crossroads to the big city suddenly I was enspelled by something or someone. Blue flames erupted from my body. These flames did not hurt me. They would erupt from my body then slowly dissipate. After a moment they would erupt from my body again. This went on for 2 or 3 minutes before the flames finally died forever. These flames seemed to heal some of my wounds as they appeared and disappeared.

I looked around yet there was no one around, nor was there any animal to mention. It seemed to be completely spontaneous.

A few days later I came upon Elvalith and questioned her about these flames. I described the whole of it and she was able to replicate the magic exactly. She thought it odd but did not tell me much about what it was.

I have done much in these last 4 days. An inn merchant also asked me to find a horn for him. The inn is directly across the road from the ogre layer. I believe it is called the cobblestone inn. He sent me down a secret passage under the inn to go get it. I took the passage and when I went through it. I came upon one of my greatest nemeses: Living Fire. At least 4 fire elementals started to chase me. I quickly ducked back into the passage.

I had given the quest up and instead decided to practice my technique on the local giants on the Hammerstone mountain. Finding their layer, I fought through them until I came upon the Mountain giant king. This was one of the hardest battles of my life. I and the king slugged it out for near an hour. I had to use several healing potions but finally fell the great beast. When I searched the body, I found the merchant's horn. Fortune favored me. I went back to the inn and gave him back his horn. The mission complete I rested and went back to the crossroads.

I have completed knocking the rust from my training in Narfell and have found new insights into Bushido. I am now ever closer to the part of my soul put into my blade when it was made for me. I can feel the katana becoming an extension of my body. Now one of every 4 strikes I make against a foe ends within an organ or other vital area. I am close to my goal. Still having 5 years or so I must journey in the west I will do what I can to make this new home as peaceful for its citizenry as possible before I must leave for home.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa takes out a black Kimono from her bags and places most of her weapons away in the small room where she lives at the Bait and Tackle. She washes herself thoroughly and puts her best make up on. Now instead of a face that looks cut up and put together she looks like a porcelain doll that has been left out through neglect and weathered until there are cracks all along her face and parts of her body that show skin.

Once she is painted up, she puts on her formal black Kimono and wraps herself in a white odi. Her lips are blood red, and her eyelashes are extended and glued to hold their shape. From there she takes a leather cord and straps her kaiken around her neck and underneath the kimono's folds along her chest. Carefully, almost reverently, she disengages the scabbards and weapons from her hip harness and places them in her packs along with incense, an incense block and a tri-weapon katana stand. Ready to go she slowly, carefully walks out of the inn and mounts her horse, Pickles. She rides to Hamley: A place she finds peace and comfort. On the way she encounters several goblins, hobgoblins, Ogres and giant spiders. It takes some time, but she cuts them down with each encounter sometimes dismounting to fight with only her kaiken as a weapon. She rides into the gate bloodied and battered, her dress torn in several places, but determined to accomplish a certain task.

Once inside the gate she turns west to the tower. She puts Pickles to stable taking off his barding so he may relax then walks barefoot into the place. She asks the attendants there if there is a quiet place to meditate. They guide her to a small room.

When the others leave, she opens her bags. The first thing she does is take out her katana stand. She sets it on a small table not much more than a nightstand or cabinet. She moves a carpet so that it is in front of it. From there she goes down and kneels. while kneeling in front of the stand she brings her husband's katana out. Holding the pommel with one hand and the tip of the scabbard at the other she bows to the stand then places it upon the top rest. She repeats the process, each time bowing to the stand with her own katana then her wakizashi.

Once that is done, she brings a large incense block out setting it in front of her on the floor. She lights three sticks of sweet-smelling perfume and places the ends in the blocks. She bows one more time then looks to the black pommeled sword above her own. She speaks in High Shou so that she may speak plainly.

"Ryuu......Husband, it has been three years since your death and my banishment from our lands. I must stay in the west until the time to go home and prove to your uncle that I have truly become one with my sword. You know all this as you have watched over me these years. At least that is what I believe.

I am close to that goal, Ryuu. Yet without you It seems empty. All of it. My victories, my defeats seem meaningless without being by the side of my gentle giant. You always held me back from my darkest nature. Now here in this new place others take your role. I have found companions here, Ryuu. Those that seem to have my best interest at hand. They supplely guide my hand as you did in the past. It is not like that other place. Narfell when all ended up standing against me because I view the world differently than western sentimentalities." Miwa sheds a tear before saying more. Her face which usually hides her emotions can no longer confronting the ghost of love lost.

"I am sorry for my current condition. I had to fight on my way here. Much as coming back from campaign against one clan or another. My dress is in tatters my makeup smeared and I never had a face that was beautiful. War has marred me even more in the west. I have hope you still see me as when we were first married.

I have defeated the ogres of these lands and their crystal golem caretakers single handedly in recent endeavors. I put myself against pirates that would want to take over the whole of this island nation. I was defeated and had to retreat only to come back with companions and defeat them with the help of Elvalith, Brehnna, Serphir, and an archer whose name is Sydney. I have defeated snake people and their ilk in the caves surrounding a crater lake. As weeks pass, I feel myself merging more and more seamlessly with my katana. I have even fought the ghosts of mighty fire giants. You would be proud Ryuu.

Even though I am succeeding in my quest for your uncle and our lord, Daimyo Barasume I start to question his wisdom and intent. I question why he would send both of us to battle against a clan as large as ours. Why he put us in a situation that was untenable. You were always the grand administrator. I was always your warrior wife. You knew the people. I.......I only know the sword. Daimyo always called me to battle so that you could administrate the lands. Why did he call us both in our final engagement? He knew your skills with the sword were only adequate at best. I know I should not question our lord. But Ryuu, this goes against sense to call both lady and Sire to war at the same time. You know I gave every effort to defend you and when you died, I took revenge on the six samurai that attacked us.

I am worried Ryuu on what will happen to me when I return. If I pass his test what will become of me. What does Lord Barasume have in store. I know he has something other than me leading the fighting women of the clan but what is his purpose? I do not know but know that he has something in mind.

Being that I will complete my mission soon unless I am killed in battle. If that comes and I have years left to linger here I will endeavor to study about defending my lands better and to be a better judge of people. Hopefully you will be again proud of my goal.

Lastly the thing that haunts my dreams most. If I succeed, Daimyo Barasume will force me to marry another. It is our way as you know. Before you I would not question at all. It is after all my duty to marry according to my lord's discretion. Yet deep in my heart I still yearn to be held by no one else but you in the small hours of the night. Even little wolverines need love and I still yearn for that which can no longer be.

When the time comes; if it comes, will he be like you, or will he be like my father? Will he relegate me to just being a housewife and a symbol of his status or will he let me pursue my true nature? Time can only tell my love. The only thing I have on this is he cannot take your sword from me. I will always carry a part of you with me until my death.

It is a sad day: A sad anniversary. I thew everything away because of my love for you. I may redeem myself, but I will always miss you. Thank you for being a part of my life for the time we had together."

Miwa looks down at the incense to find that the sticks have long burned out. She cleans up the room slowly putting everything back and away into the folds of her bags. She then leaves the temple back to her small apartment. There she packs her things and makes for camp to mediate and exercise. She sharpens her ki and her skills so that she may complete her mission for her Lord Daimyo.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa sits in her makeshift encampment in the forest. Her legs are in a half lotus position, one leg is bent and resting on the ground, the other leg is bent with the foot in lotus position. In her lap is her journal. She is wearing a simple kimono with her sword belt. Today it only holds her daisho. Her kaiken is mounted on a leather string around her neck. The air is still. There is no rustling of the branches above her. The sky to the east reddens as the sun is about to show its face out above the horizon.

Pickles who normally wanders the camp grazing is tied to a tree with a feed bag on his head. She cannot have him roaming today for she intends to test her skills to the limit. All along the trees, apples hang down on strings. They are all at different heights. Above each fruit a tiny bell is tied to the string a half an inch above it. The bells do not ring out their tiny songs. She must wait.

Looking down she writes in high shou.

I have gone as far as I can with training of the blade. I have gone as far as I can to understand the Way of the Sword. I can go no farther until something. What is it? I do not know. So few have gotten this far. Fewer still have taken that leap, taken that next step, A spark that brings realization.

I am now truly a mistress of the blade. Am I truly a mistress of bushido of understanding the depth of its truths? I do not know. I have followed the way as best I know even with western sentimentalities pulling on my conscience and moral values. Yet I cannot find that last step in the darkness beyond: The path of Samurai and Onna-bugeisha take to move beyond. I only have four more years.

Will I accomplish the task? My life depends upon it. The honor of my family and clan depends upon it. I must succeed.

I have fought and conquered Beholders, Undead Dragons, Crystal Golems, Pirate Kings and a host of other things with the help of my companions. Yet I remain somehow detached from my weapons. To be one with my daisho. To have perfect understanding in fighting with my blades for the protection of my people. This one step still eludes my awareness. It is not something you can find in training, I think. It is something else. This something ever now appears just out of my vision. It plays on my mind. I run to it. I reach for it, and it disappears in the mists of my dreams. It is there. I know it. Others have found it. A very few Samurai have attained perfection in their blades.

Perhaps it is patience I must become better at, or any other of the attributes of the code. Perhaps it is just a realization that you have arrived at that point. I know one thing I will continue to protect these people of my adopted home until I find that spark or die in combat. It is the way of the code. It is all I know and willingly accept.

Elvalith, I and a few others sought out a jelly like creature in the ruins of crater lake just yesterday. We killed the creature and returned for the bounty. Afterward Elvalith sat down by the stream of the crossroads looking dour. I came over to her and sat down beside her. Silently adding comfort and companionship. The two of us over the months have gotten closer. She seems much like a sister to me now.

While we sat a man came upon us. I had seen him once before. He is a tall man. Almost as tall as Ryuu. He has pretty face and fancy clothes. I cannot remember his name though he has said it many times. I was preoccupied each time with an inner conflict.

She absently touches her sword scarred face.

I could not make eye contact with him the first time I met him. I still cannot make full eye contact with him. He is a colleague of Elvalith in some way and sat with us. Suina also came upon our little group. That is when Elvalith mentioned she was having problems. I asked her to explain the one that makes her most anxious.

She told us she would confide in us, but we must vow to never mention it. I gave my word and so did the pretty one. Suina, however, chose not to. She took the better part of valor and left. It made me respect her more. Suina knows her limits and her vices.

The three of us went to a more secluded place. Elvalith told us of her problem. I will not write what this problem was, but it was complicated. Elvalith is a very good person. Her conscience and sense of goodness sometimes blinds her to the harsh reality of life. There are times when you must make the hard choice for the betterment of society or to put things to the right that are wrong.

I understand her feelings. I also understand her reluctance to do what she needs to do, but the hard truth is you must do what needs to be done to make the world more unified. This brings peace. To do the good thing because you feel this in your emotions and feelings is not always right. Sometimes it is. Sometimes though it leads to more strife.

After she was finished, I gave her my opinion. She brushed my words off and turned to the pretty one. I was slightly offended, maybe, or was in a seed of jealousy? I worry I am picking up traits of the western world with my inner thoughts and feelings sometimes.

After they discussed the problem at some length the pretty one left the two of us. Elvalith was more willing to listen to me. We discussed it. I also stated that I know we look at the world from different points of view. It is good that she gets an opinion from one that has differences in thought.

She told me, I sounded like another that counseled her on the subject. Perhaps with a reinforced view of two others she will come to the right choice.

All that being written; It is Elvalith that is the magistrate, not I. She must make this choice in judgement. I just hope she makes the right choice for the good of all.

Miwa puts her journal away as she begins to hear soft chimes in the wind. She walks roughly to the center of the field of trees. She then meditates several minutes standing to calm her thoughts. When finished she puts a blindfold on.

If anyone had approached the scheme, they would have seen a small Asian woman in a simple dress dancing about the trees with blades flashing in the mid-morning sun. They would hear the thumps of apples falling as she danced while the trees sing a tiny bell like song.

When finished she takes the blindfold off. Of the two dozen or so apples eight have had their strings cut between the bell and apple. Five apples fell with their bells still attached. Nine apples are shredded, various parts still hanging from the trees. One of the apples remains on its tether untouched.

Miwa wipes the sweat off her face and swears mightily in high shou. She knows this may be a long road.
CTP team member