Barasume Miwa
This forum is for anyone to put their PC's stories down for other servers than Anchorome and Harvestmoon both long dead. Many may read them and get some inspiration for their own characters or for dming from their adventures.
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Re: Barasume Miwa

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Honorable Daimyo Barasume of the Barasume clan
Regent of the city of Renkyu for Shogun Myramata Hojin on the Island of Shinkoku

It is Miwa, you’re widowed niece and Onna-Bugeisha in service to you and clan. For three years now I have traveled the west in accordance to your dictates.

I have had my challenges from those that would enslave me, those that would wish to burn me at the stake for following the way of the sword to those that would use my words to corrupt Bushido and the way of our peoples’ way of life.

All through these trials, I have stood strong in my beliefs. Learned of these western people and their ways and listened to those that would understand our ways often teaching them about the code and beliefs or our people. I have come to a point where meditating on the way gives me no more understanding. Training gives me no sharper edge. I have attained all I may from these ways of learning the art of sword and understanding of the way. All I lack is that spark, that sight of the candle in the darkness to merge the part of my essence that lies deep within my sword to the part of my essence that lies within my flesh. That last step eludes me as all that take this path.

Thus, I seek your counsel lord and uncle. I have no focus now that my task is nearly complete. Yet have four more years that I am banished from the comforts of home and hearth. Until I find this oneness of spirit and wait five more years to present myself at your feet, I must find purpose. Thus, I ask for your counsel, wisdom, and orders on how I should spend the rest of my journey in exile.

I have found an island of those who accept me as I am. This is where I now train. It is called the Island of Thain. Just as in Kozakura there are many factions here. Many are good and proper putting the needs of their people before the needs of themselves. There are also many factions that go against all that the heavens celebrate. Factions of avarice power hungry city states that would wish to absorb all others enslaving them.

I respectfully ask for guidance in word or action.

Your humble servant
Barasume Miwa. Onna-bugeisha in service to Clan Barasume
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa goes to the training grounds where the Steinkies stables said her new horse was being harbored. She brings a wheelbarrow full of equipment including a cot. lots of vegetables. blankets both horse and human along with water and all the supplies she would need for a week. She finds a stable hand and asks about where her horse is stabled.

He walks with her to the barn, and they walk along the stalls. He stops at one and hands her a key to the lock/latch. She looks inside completely surprised. "This is a giant! What is this?"

You specifically said a war horse. This is a war horse. "I'll need step stool just to mount! What kind of horse is this?"

"It's called a Percheron, ma'am. He's a two-year-old. 16 1/2 hands and 1600 lbs."

"If horse this big why stable sell me only 500 in gold, Aye! Aye! will need new saddle and barding. Mine too small."

"Well, he's a bit spirited."

"What you mean Spirited? War horse supposed to be spirited?"

"Well, what I mean ma'am that if you take him out to train would you please do it when all the other horses are not on the field and by the way could you sign this disclaimer for bodily injury. It's standard. Yep Standard."

She looks at him narrowing her eyes. She then looks back at the horse. "So, you no angel! I be round horses like you too. We come to agreement eventually."

She grabs the papers out of the stableboy's hand and signs them. "I stay here for few days maybe week to train him. He stink when last get a cleaning?"

"Ummm, Ma'am its not our policy to let customers sleep with their horses."

She folds her arms across her chest showing the stable boy just how many weapons are nestled in her Odi. "I come in first in festival jousting and second in archery at festival. Who going to stop me?"

The stableboy turns a shade paler after he looks at both her weapons and her face. He suddenly fidgets like hes about to bolt from the intimidation but stays in place long enough to say, "I'll, I'll get the paperwork."

She looks at him sternly, "You do that." The stable boy then takes the opportunity to bolt as fast as he can from the barn.

Miwa sets up her cot beside the stables. puts a blanket and pillow on it and carefully sets all her equipment up in its proper places along the stall. She goes to the corner where there is a board. Each stall is marked with what she thinks is two names. She finds her horses home and writes in high shou. Unknown owned by Miwa. She then goes back. unlocking the stall, she goes inside. She carefully checks the horse's flanks and legs. The stall is pretty dirty. All the while she starts talking to the horse.

"I do not have a name for you yet. We will see maybe eggplant or turnip. You seem very strong. You look in good health. In the years to come we must trust each other to do our jobs. So, there will be lots of training. First bare back so you can feel my leg commands. It will be hard because you are so big, but we will learn together. Just remember you have to trust me, and I have to trust you."

She gets a ladder and tries to check his teeth. He takes a step back and tries to hit her in the head. "Now that's not a good start." She sighs and goes down to her cot. Fetching an apple and a jar of honey out of one of her bags she opens the honey and uses a brush to paint the apple with it. Getting back on the ladder she holds the apple out to him. He steps back up and stiffs it. She pulls it back. "You will get your apple when I see your teeth."

She holds it out in front of him again. The horse steps up. She draws the apple back and pulls up the side of his upper lip. The horse seems to stay calm. She examines his teeth. Ok now lower. She gets through his lower teeth then she gently moves his head to the other side. He seems to stay calm. through it all. She again holds out the apple this time releasing her fingers, so her hand is flat. The horse munches down on it without taking her hand off.

"Ok this is better."

When he is done, she takes her reins and puts the snaffle bit into him. She climbs down holding the reins and opens the gate. pocketing a couple of carrots in case she needs them. She walks him out of the stall and into the shower area outside of the barn. She gives him a through shower and scrubbing watching for kickouts which she expects. She doesn't expect him to step on her foot.

"OH! Get off my foot! Now in pain and more than a little angry she slides a crop out of the back of her Odi. She shows it to him. "GET OFF MY FOOT OR I'LL USE THIS! YOU'RE GETTING A BATH WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT!" She tries to grab the bit ring but finds out she's too short to reach it. The intimidation works and the horse comes off her foot while snorting in her face. He lowers his head so she can reach the ring. She takes it just hard enough for the horse to know she's now in control. Meanwhile a pissed off head of stables had stomped up to the bath rack but stops seeing her work with the horse. He steps back and watches knowing just which horse this is.

She finishes washing him. Take a bunch of towels she dries him off where she can get to him. sometimes jumping to get a some of the soak off his back. The head of stables chooses this opportunity to step up. "Excuse me Ma'am?"

"yes" She doesn't stop working on drying the horse. As she dries the legs, she checks the shoes.

"Can you tell me why one of my boys comes running into my office with a load in his pants and wet in the front shouting gibberish about you staying here at least a week?"

"Depends on horse. Until we can trust one another must stay here. This is not pleasure horse for some shogun wife. This war horse. Trust is live and death."

"Be that as it may we would really like you to go home at night."

"I stay here will clean stables if need be. Will stay here until horse and I have agreement."

"That may take a while with that particular horse. It will take a long time he's pretty obstinate."

"I come from horse village. know what to do."

"I hate knights and their ilk. Alright then. 200 gold a week for staying here. You better not cause any trouble like drunken brawls or I'll call the guard on you."

She pays him. "Will be no trouble. I get back to horse."

Surprised she doesn't get haughty with him over the gold he has to think a bit. "Alright then. You'll have papers to sign in my office."

"Is fine I come tomorrow."

The man takes his leave shaking his head and palming the gold.

That night Miwa writes by candlelight on her cot.

There was a festival when I came back to train. Elvalith would not stop talking about it. So, I decided to see what the west would call a festival. I went to the area where it was to be. There was a sign. I read about this festival of harvest and that the people would give thanks for the peace after a war they fought called the Rift War. I also saw that there would be an archery competition and jousting. I know about jousting, and it is a very dangerous sport. I had never done it in the east where we use spears instead of the great lances that these westerners use. I decided to enter the competition. I did not think I would place well having never jousted nor having a proper daikyu to use in archery. I now have a western long bow. Still, I would bring much honor to my clan and family by doing my best to show the westerners that we of the east are not pushovers in a fight.

The first day of the festival was all about pomp and ceremony. I watched the proceedings with keen interest. I do have to say it was a nice affair centered around the peasants and their hard work in the fields. It is good that this city state of Steinkies honors its peasants. They are the hard-working people of the land that need a warriors and governments protection. I felt much warmth over the proceedings.

Afterward at the tables of food and drink we played a game of truth. where one spun a bottle around and whoever it pointed too could ask a question of anyone they wanted. I was lucky that I did not have to answer too many questions being that the west has very loose laws about crime and punishment and westerners typically do not like the culture of the eastern island nations once they fully know of our customs. I came out of the night happy that I did not dishonor my clan or Daimyo this night.

On the second day of the festival was the archery competition. I signed up. We did not shot at targets. Rather, we shot at live pigs in the fighting list. There were five competitors. Two of them were elves and were favorites to win the match. One of these Legebriewyn seemed to know before we even started that he would win and his elven friend would come in second. There was also a giant of a half-orc there and Brehnna of all people joined us.

In first round they released the pigs, and we began to shoot. I did very well; placing first, which upset the event organizer. The elves at this point looked unconcerned.

After the second round I placed first again. There were a few shouts from the crowd of appreciation. This agitated the event organizer even more. The elves became a little concerned that I was beating them.

On the third and what I thought was the final round. I did not fare as well. I shot less pigs than a few others but felt that my first two winning round may carry me through to become champion. When the organizer was done tabulating the results he looked up and winked to someone near the pens. There was a surprise. He had them release a monster of a pig as big as a horse. He then said that whoever downs the pig will get twenty-five bonus points. This in a competition where the largest pig was worth three points.

At this point I knew the fix was in. I had won but because of politics they wanted a chance for someone else to claim first prize. The elves stood back and started to use their wu-jen magic to attack the pig. I thought this was an archery competition. They were desperate now for a win. Still, it was Brehnna that took down the pig. I was happy that my little halfling friend bested the elves.

I took second place. I am happy with that. I went in not thinking I would place and still came in second. The contest was obviously slanted but with a friend winning over these arrogant elves and I coming in second besting them too I consider it a win.

Afte a few drinks I went back to where I put Pickles my war horse. Pickles was gone and there was a note there left by this Legebriewyn. He said he had freed the horse so that it would no longer be a slave. I was insensed and started to look for this thief among the crowds, but he was goon. I took the not to Elvalith and she said she would seek justice for me. I cannot believe that this elf was such a sorry sport that he would maliciously steal my horse for scoring more than him. Which is most likely the real reason he stole Pickles. I told Elvalith that she had better find him before I do or I would take out eastern justice upon his head.

The thing that saddened me most about the whole of the affair that while I was searching the festival grounds and word got around someone said, 'He doesn't realize the horse is freer than the woman.' This is a grave misunderstanding of my culture. Yes, my father forced me into becoming his legacy: His Onna bugeisha but when I received my kaiken I readily accepted my fate and to follow the rules of samurai along with the code of Bushido. I could have flung all that away in that instant and become a fat wife of a samurai with all the privileges, but I chose to follow the path set before me. The only regret I have is what this life has done to my face and body. I still avoid mirrors when I may.

After I left Elvalith found me. She had Pickles in tow. I was so happy to be reunited with my companion of several years.

The last day of the festival became both a day of celebration for my clan and a great tragedy for myself. I will write about this tomorrow.

Miwa sets her quill down puts her journal in a pack and blows out the candles settling down in front of the stall gate of her horse so that it can see she is defending him. Sleep takes her quickly.

When she wakes up and sits hair falls in her face. Her hair sticks have been removes and her bun has been undone. She looks up at the horse. "You suppose to warn me if someone comes to mess with me. What's wrong with you?" The horse just stares back waiting for his morning exercise.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

After taking nearly twenty minutes to redo her hair, Miwa goes to town for breakfast. When she comes back, she undoes the lock on the stall and brings her horse out. After putting his reins on she pulls his head down and holds the ring. "Now, I have no saddle or saddle blanket for you so we will do this bareback for starts. Simple things to let the two of us get to know each other. If you do everything right, you'll get some treats. She puts an apple and a couple of carrots in the pockets of her riding leathers and leads him out onto the field.

Miwa uses a stepstool to climb up on his back. She gets comfortable and slowly sets him to his paces keeping the reins short. *Trot, prance, side-step, turn, gallop, run. Spin. He manages to do most of the commands after an hour. She pats him on the shoulder and feeds him a carrot. "See not so bad. I'm very light. One of the things I appreciate about the west is that horses here are bigger and stronger than the ones back home. Our Kisouma horses are faster and more agile but in war I believe you and your kind in the west have a slight advantage."

She lets the horse rest and graze with her on his back for the next hour. Things seem to be going wonderfully. She then again tries to set him to some basic paces. The first thing he does is try to buck her. He fails. Her excellent balance and experience let's her ride the buck. "What are you tired? Too bad. If you get tired during a battle we will both be killed. We are going to do this whether you like it or not. She pulls the tension hard on the reins to regain control until the brute settles down.

The horse starts to listen to her again. She starts by walking him once around the ground in a slow pace all the while speaking to him in high shou with her commands using her legs and reins to apply pressure, so he knows the orders in both word and her body changes. She then has him prance up and down the field changing to a trot and a gallop. When at last she puts him into a full charge instead of running full bore down the middle of the field he veers off headed for a tree.

"Wow. Wow! WOW!" She tries to use the reins to control him again, but he charges on straight toward the large tree. At the last moment she swings her foot closest to the obstacle and hangs on for dear life. The horse brushes the tree lightly on his flank. She swings her leg back over. "Oh, you think you're so funny trying to scrap your momma off you! You think your so sm...........AAAAAH!! The horse tries to fall over on its side. Miwa tries to leap but his side catches her foot and pins it under him.

Miwa screams from the momentary pain then winces taking the rest wincing in resolution. The horse lifts its neck and looks at her. She stares it down. "YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE NATURE OF OUR RELATIONSHIP."

After catching her breath, she wiggles her foot out from under him. She limps over and grabs the ring. "Ok lets get up." The horse refuses to get up. So, she takes a rope she has on hand and feeds it through the ring and leather straps on the side of his muzzle after giving the rope enough just enough slack for him to graze near it she ties it around the trunk. She looks back at him and he is still lying down as if saying screw, you lady.

She backs up just out of the ropes range and takes out another carrot. The horse's ears perk up and he stands. "Oh, so you really like these carrots. She sniffs the carrot. "They smell wonderful. I bet they are the crunchiest carrots in the whole world. It's too bad I only have one." She bites the end and eats it in front of him. She then consumes the rest of the carrot..........slowly.

When she finishes, she throws the small stock of green with a bit of purple carrot left on the bottom out of his range. I have to get my leg fixed may take until dark. But that's ok. I'm sure all those dire wolves to the north won't even bother coming down here. I'm naming you cobi steer because I think you're as dumb as one. We all know wolves don't like that delicate juicy beef that comes from a cobi steer. You'll be perfectly safe. I'll have a stable boy set a pail of water down for you in an hour or two.

She turns her back on him and limps away.

Three hours later she comes back from the Steinkies temple. She makes sure there is water there for him to drink then looks at the beast. "I'm going to keep calling you Cobi until you start behaving. Are you ready to finish your workout or do you still want to be an ass?"

The horse puts his head down. She flips the almost empty pail over and uses it to get back on him. She works him now until dusk putting him through all the normal strides and turns a horse does. At the end of the day both horse and woman are exhausted. Before she puts him in his stall, she gives an apple to him and feeds him when he's done with that saying, "See you get your head together you get your apples and carrots."

She puts him in his stall and sets her cot in front of it. When she wakes up the next morning her hair sticks are again on the floor and her mass of raven hair is all messed up. She looks at the horse. "No. Your too damn big and uncoordinated to do that without waking me up." She looks around the empty barn with nothing but horses present. "Someone is going to get my foot up their rear if I catch them."
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa goes into the city and has her hair redone. When she comes back, she looks at her horse. "I have to write in my journal before I forget what happened at the festival. You will have to wait for your exercise. She fills a feed bag up with Oats, barley, a high percentage of Lysine and some diced forage from her dinner last night.

She sits in her cot and opens her journal. Writing in high shou with a quill backwards to western ways from the bottom page up and from right to left.

As I said before the last night of the festival was both a success for my clan and a tragedy for myself. I had entered the jousting competition. I knew nothing about these great lances the westerners used, nor their style of fighting yet I did want to show that the clans of Kozakura were as adept at fighting as the westerners.

When all was done there were six contestants. The giant of a half-orc who I learned earlier took second place in last year's competition was there. There was also a relative of the local shogun or someone very close to him. This man was very young. He was also very inexperienced in battle. I could tell by a glance. This man had an upbeat personality like my gentle giant but was much more smallish of a man. I did not feel warm all over when I looked at him like when I look upon Teron who is an associate of Elvalith.

When the organizer said the rules, I asked if I won if I could behead the loser. He was startled by the question but answered no. Now knowing the rules, I waited my time to fight. The first round found me fighting one man. I had a hard time but won my match. I dislocated my lance arm from the blow on the first engagement. For the rest of the match, I fought with a piece of wood in my teeth so not to break them. Pain is something I learned long ago to take with patience. My father taught me hard lessons on this. Pain still hurts but if you want to survive in battle, you must overcome it and fight on or you will die either an honorable or ignoble death if you let the pain overcome your senses.

I left the field after my match to let the others joust but then the young noble came up to me and said I must position myself to the side within the list to continue. He could have let me go to forfeit my entry. I noted it and noted him as a kind person. I was thankful to him.

When the first round was finished the giant of a half-orc had been defeated. The three who were left was myself, the young nobleman who surprised me and another half-orc of a different tribe. The organizer said that we would each have to fight each other to determine the winner. The one who won two matches would be champion. An agreeable arrangement.

The first to fight was me and the young nobleman. I did not do well. Even though my horsemanship and horse 'Pickles' was far superior to his, my unfamiliarity with this great lance cost me the match. This young one must have been training much of his life with the weapon and he showed great proficiency with it.

The next match was again myself, and the smaller half-orc. This match was tough. One the first round neither of us knocked each other from our horses. On the second round both of us were flung. On the third and final round with some luck I managed to fall him. Now I was 1-1 still in the game.

In the third and final match the young nobleman was soundly defeated by the half-orc making it a three-way tie.

The organizer confirmed each one of us champions of the joust. I received a marker to better a weapon from the local master weapons maker. From there we were supposed to have dinner with the local shogun or something. I changed into a new very expensive white kimono with a black odi I had just made.

After changing I spit off from the other two. Parked Pickles near the feast tables so I could watch him so no thief could steal him again. I then went to see my friends gathered round the lists to speak with them for a few minutes before this grand dinner.

As we talked, Elvalith suddenly said something about my horse. I looked back and found that the giant of a half orc was trying to eat Pickles Barding, saddle and all! I became enraged. This Asshole of an orc had seen my horse in the list and decided to eat it because I had advanced, and he did not. The same situation as the elf.

I attacked him in my kimono with both my swords. Because I did not have my armor on, he defeated me. Also, in my blind rage to which I am known for in my homeland I hit Pickles once instead of him killing my own war horse. I was devastated. Not only did he have chunks of flesh torn out of him from the attack I had finished my own companion off in my rage.

The authorities now stepped in, including Elvalith. They listened to both accounds and found the half-orc guilty of damaging my property. He had to pay me a 1,000 gold only 2/3rds the cost of the horse. However, the head of stables for kliensteis came to me and said I could buy a new war horse for only 500 in gold. I paid him immediately. I found out later why it was only 500. He had a horse especially for me. One he wanted to get rid of. This fortunate situation is turning out good for me. The reason is I know horses and just how to train one such as he sold me.

I left the festival with my saddle on my shoulder and the rest of the tack and barding in my packs. I did not forget about the dinner, but the situation called, and I had to do my duty for my companion and property first. I seemed to have ended up missing it and my new kimono was a mass of blood and tears. I was a sorry sight.

I went to the tackle on the crossroads trying to sleep the experience off. There will be another day to show my honor to clan and lord. I did well but in the end, I lost a trusted companion.

I wanted to mention a note I forgot. One the first day of the festival I met a dwarf that I have wanted to meet for a long time. A master weapon maker Dwarf by the name of Master Derhag. I knew that both my sword and my husband's sword have become slightly inefficient for the challenges ahead. I have wanted a new dashio for some time and would like the superior Daikyu to the western long bow. My Daikyu broken by a thief shortly after I crossed the dragonwall.

We negotiated a deal. I gave him 50,000 in gold to make three weapons: A katana, a Wakizashi, and a Daikyu. He wanted me to acquire some kind of magic charm to help him. I have found two of the four charms he mentioned gifted to me by a cleric as we hunted down a mutant machine in a dungeon full of metal golems. Now all I have to do is confirm an appointment when he is at his forge.

I did tell him of the specifics that my own blood must be in the tempering pool when he tempers the two blades so that my soul is infused with the weapons. He seemed to know eastern ways and readily agreed to this.

I am somewhat excited about this prospect and wonder what will come from his handywork. However now I must concentrate on my new companion and charge. This giant asshole of a horse that thinks he is in charge of our union. I know I will win in the end. He has no idea what is coming if he keeps being an obstinate child that he is.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa comes down from camp to find her new horse missing. She immediately searches the surrounding area for the Percheron but cannot find it. She expands her search into goblin territory then kobold lands to the south to find nothing. Meanwhile Elvalith meets her with a bounty.

Miwa is still worried for the horse but because Elvalith and her are good friends she accepts. Suina comes with them. The three go down into caverns Miwa recognizes immediately. They are making their way to the abysmal gate. Miwa looks around wondering at the wisdom of only three people taking on the abyss, yet she knows she must support those who ever support her. She continues the journey with them.

Going through the gate they fight demons' layer by layer until Elvalith finds the path she wants to take. Miwa is very surprised because she expected to find spider demon like creatures start to attack her. It was not to be. Instead, a single demon like creature stood in a ruined city. They attempted to speak to it but instead it attacked them. Miwa became the other two's shield and ran into position. The two fought head-to-head while Suina danced in and out to the side. Elvalith stood back and used her magic to help defeat the creature.

Miwa suddenly understood these tactics were a mistake. The demon hit her hard time and time again. She had to back off and use healing potions. Suina took her place front and center. The two fought to a corner of an alley while Miwa healed herself with potions. Once she was stable again, she had had enough and brought out her portable cannon. She shot all three shots at the creature severely wounding it. She then ran back into the fight to support her small friend. The three down the creature together. but just before they do the demon yells out that it can never die.

Miwa gets a foreboding sense at the words. She is about to turn to leave the area when a floating skull appears along with an animated sword and another object she cannot identify. Things went sidewise quickly.

Whatever this floating skull was it devastated them. Miwa used an invisibility potion, but the thing still saw her. The three fought and fought it doing little damage. Miwa downed healing potions faster than a drunk at a bar.

There were times where Miwa went down too wounded to do anything. Always Elvalith or Suina were there to heal her. At one time both her companions went down. Miwa hid behind a building for a few seconds made a distraction with one of her treasures then ran around the other side of the building to quickly heal the other two. Then she played a game of cat and mouse with the creatures until her friends could heal themselves.

In the end the three of them downed the floating skull and sword but it took every one of her healing potions and many of her life seeds. Still, it was a hard-fought victory. One that she will remember the rest of her life.

The three came back to the prime and split up. Miwa once again took to looking for her horse. On the hill above the approach, she found a campfire and the bones of a war horse. She kneeled down and picked up a femur with teeth marks on it. Examining it carefully she knew it was not the new horse. This was pickles her beloved Kisouma that had treated her well these last few years. "Damn half-orc!" She exclaims in high shou.

She collects all the bones and buries them a little way down the hill by some sort of what looks like sacred circle. Again, she resumes her search. Miwa searches far and wide even in the city. She goes to the stables where she bought the brute. He was not there.

Wandering down to the tourney and practice fields she searches for him. There she finally finds him. In the middle of a bunch of mares! Miwa's voice gets about 3 octaves higher as she stomps up the field and yells in high Shou. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING! IF I HAVE TO PAY COMPENSATION FOR FOLDS, I SWEAR I'LL PUT YOU IN FRONT OF A PLOW UNTIL YOU PAY ME BACK! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH YOU!

I KNOW I SAID IF YOU DONT BEHAVE I WOULD HAVE HORSE FRIES BUT DAMN IT, I WOULD NEVER THOUGHT YOU WOULD DO THIS! 8 MILLION WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH YOU!"

Miwa walks straight up to him. He puts his head down so she can take the bit ring. "Look, I know you probably don't understand your Momma. I'm upset. I know about nature. I know you have needs but only when I say. Let's try to walk out of here calmly. Maybe no one will notice.

At least you have spirit so I will no longer call you Wolf Bait. You have to listen to me." She walks him back toward the stable while talking to him. "I know it feels like the best thing in the world, but you have to be disciplined. You have to wait until the right time."

She feeds him a sugar cube and sighs, "It's been a very long time for me too. I'm lonely and want to go back home but am banished more years. I hope the letter I sent eventually bares fruit. Until then It's you and me. We need to work together. Come to an understanding. I'll brush you down. feed you and back in your stall. Tomorrow its bath time again! Don't need you smelling funny. Someone might notice."

Miwa does all that she said. As the sun goes down, she puts the horse back in the stall and locks it. She then moves her cot in front of it and settles in for the night. In the wee hours of the morning, she suddenly jumps up. Her Kaiken's blade flashing in the air. There is nothing to connect with. The barn is empty. Thats when her hair falls again in front of her face.

She looks at the horse again which seems to be sleeping. "No. You cannot be doing this. Looking around again she still sees nothing. She collects her hair needles off the floor and falls back onto the cot. Kaiken still in hand.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa brushes down her horse and puts it back in its stall. She had been training outside with him for three days after ten days of constant training with the large beast. It had followed her commands well enough that she invested in a new saddle and packs. The packs being extra wait for him to get use to the heavier barding he will wear in the future.

Now after the three-day outing, she was back for more horse training and a deeper more private training of mind and thought. Exercising her katas and meditating on Li when not tending and training the horse. One the first night after a rigorous trial of an obstacle course to which the horse often balked at frustrating her, she pulls her cot in front of the stall, lights a lantern and writes in her journal.

I and the horse went out for three days. Mostly he stayed at the crossroads being it was too dangerous yet to take him to places of danger. There were many memorable moments among those three days. I will put them down here for more meditation and prosperity.

The first is I had gathered all necessary materials for my new dashio and daikyu. Elvalith, I and Brehenna went to Master Derhag's forge. As we approached, we saw him working his trade hammering in an anvil. I had already given him fifty thousand in coin and four curious stones of enchantment. I gave him the other things I had. A spell of darkfire. two spells of keen, three holy stones. and more enchantment stones both large and middling.

We watched as he set his other work down and brought out the mysterious light metal, he worked his greatest pieces with. A metal called mithril or mithral. This western common has many words that sound so much alike it is hard to both speak and understand sometimes.

While he was doing that, I set up a small alter. Set my katana stand up and placed my husbands and my own katana within the settings. There I prayed to the ancestors, the 8 million gods and for Ryuu to watch over me. Sephir showed up with a woman who also wanted work done. They had to wait for the master was already deep in his work.

After praying to the ancestors, 8 million, and Ryuu I stood. Placing a bowl with a line at the 1/2-liter mark I cut my wrists with my kaiken, after throwing the blanket over my shoulders. I remember doing this before and how cold it felt after much of my blood was lost. Once the blood was filled to the line, I took it up carefully and presented it to the master.

He tempered the blades in my blood and rubbed the blood into the finish of the daikyu while making the weapons. He presented me with the katana first. It is a remarkable weapon that will never dull. The Kanji of the 8 million gods run along the length of the blade that now gives off the slight glow of holiness. The wakizashi's blade is engraved with the principles of bushido to remind me of my vows. a slight hum or vibration can be felt from it every time I unsheathe it. within its depths lies the destructive power of sound and vibration. I do not know how he made such wonders. I am only thankful that he accepted my proposal. Master Derhag should be lifted up with the true masters of my homeland for his work is equal if not better than any I have seen.

A point I must make. My masters and lords say that the tempering in blood puts a part of your soul into your blade. If true, and it seems so based on my experience with feeling my Li in my old blades, I now have small parts of my energy in four blades. Something rarely done. All I know is that these new blades will be my ancestorial blades and will be passed down to my children and children's children after I have served my lord and land and take passage beyond.

I also now have a true Daikyu. I do not know how Derhag knew how to make one, but it also has my blood mixed within the wood stain. It is truly a fitting bow for a warrior. clean and simple yet oh so accurate and deadly.

After the master had completed the work Serphir proposed a good-natured fist fight between himself and the master. I put my money on the master while Elvalith on Serphir. I gave her 2/3 odds. Serphir won and I paid Elvalith for winning the bet. The two shook hands afterward as the western custom and all were happy.

Later Elvalith took me to the floating eye caverns so I may test my blades. It went well enough until the mother of eyes cavern was breached. we both fell, unconscienced. Someone must have dragged us out. we woke up in glade on the surface.

The blades and the Li within felt slightly alien to me. As if I had changed somehow from the experiences I have encountered in the west. It was something to get used to that I was not prepared for. Have I changed that much within myself while banished to these lands? I do not know. Only the gods truly know this.

The next day we gathered again to face the dark-skinned elves. During this encounter things changed. I became comfortable with the blades however the full magic of being one with one's sword still eludes me. I know it will take time and perhaps many more years. I hope I have enough to show my lord daimyo that I have succeeded in my quest.

During the incursion of the drow city, I was both stunned and angry at the evil I saw there. I know other elves of black skin that are good. They worship a naked lady god of the moon that wields a great moon blade. I forget her name Elessia or something. These elves have helped me in the past. They all said to be wary of others of their kind. Now I know why.

My bloodlust got the better of me. We killed all we could find in the city. I posted their heads for they were truly worthy opponents. The viciousness of their fighting impressed me. We killed the priestesses of the temple and even the archmage in his home. We left the heads of hundreds on posts as we went. We left a wasteland of death for them to think on ever attacking the surface people in number.

During this foray a man came with us. A tall magistrate of the government of Steinkeis. He is almost as tall as Ryuu with a pretty face and blonde hair. I am embarrassed when he is near and try not to think about my face. I must find a way to curb this infatuation of a man I hardly know. I have been abroad now for just over three years traveling these western lands. I am lonely and am tempted by the fruits of flesh.

I know that a widow or even a single woman may enjoy being with another. It is law and I have a stick with notches to tell me when I may indulge but I also know that my lord holds my right to marry. I am his servant, and it is not up to I who will father the children I bare. He will use this right for his best political advantage so that he may rise to the rank of Shogun. To show up on the day of my testing child in tow would be a grave dishonor and affront to him. I must find a way to curb my appetites. Unfortunately, once you have felt the joys of being with another it is very hard to abstain.

It does not matter, I fear. Once he saw me disrobed, he would reject my marked and scared body from both my father's training and the wars I have fought both in the east and in the west. I still ask on his general nature and health to Elvalith hopefully without raising too much interest in her or her knowing my infatuation with the man. I am not sure she knows. She may if she does, she has kept it to herself thankfully. It is an embarrassing situation. One not covered in the code and one I have no answer for. To yearn for another that you cannot show your feelings for because of duty to your lord and clan.

On the last day a group of us took on another gloomweaver demon deep within the Abyss. I was unsure my companions could make it. There were many new faces among us, and we were less than when we took on the first one. Again, the trek through the demon planes was much worse than fighting the gloomweaver and her brood of giant spiderlings. Still, we made it through and defeated her. An elven named Swiftbow was tasks to light the torches to bring her out of hiding time and time again until she was slain. The brood often attacked him. When I saw this, I disengaged and defended him so we could bring her out of the shadows. On this day it was I who landed her death blow. I did not fall to her or her brood this time having to be helped by others. I am very proud of this achievement. I thank my husband Ryuu for watching over me that day.

I am starting to study the laws of this land also. Elvalith took me to the Dwarven stronghold of Hammersong and to its temple where the three principles of their laws stand upon pillars within. I read them very carefully. To murder or steal means death to them. They are a direct and honorable people with laws much like my homelands if albeit simplified. I must know more about western laws.

I know that even being Onna-bugeisha that I am too a woman. Women of my homeland have slightly lower status then the men of various social classes and order. That being so I am limited in influenceing the laws of my own people and culture. Still If I find better among these western laws it gives me insight on how better to lead my people in the captivity that I may when I have a new husband and must tend his lands with him.

I also must remember that I can no longer be overly cruel in my judgements of others when it is my decision on punishment. Not can I be blinded by kindness and good faith. Justice should be neither cruel in its enactment nor overly kind less the malcontents within society take advantage.

Just before I left for horse training, I met Vyr at the crossroads. We spoke on this. He helped me clear my mind on the path to take regarding the law. I will seek out knights of the realms here and speak to them on their training methods and ideas of justice. I vow never to train women warriors like my father did. I will find a better means to instill the loyalties and ideas of bushido into them without torturous means. And I will endeavor to make the laws of my homeland better when I possible may have the word of law to distribute. It is a formidable goal. One to which I may sink my teeth into until solving the last piece of the riddle of becoming one with one's sword.

Miwa puts her journal away, kills the lantern and lays down to sleep. When she wakes up her hair sticks are once again on the ground and her raven hair is flowing down to the middle of her back. She jumps up and looks around. "Damn it. I will find you thief in the night!" She looks to the horse and narrows her eyes a moment.

"Ummmm, You need to warn me when someone comes! Stupid horse. You have to know your duties to me too!"
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa is running as fast and hard as she can just behind the horse trotting down the trail, barely keeping up. She's 7 years old. Her Kimono is mud caked from the hard training her father put her through earlier in the day. "KEEP UP GIRL! YOU MUST BE AS FAST AS THE HORSE!" Her father states without emotion. She gets a second wind knowing just what happens to fail him. She catches up as her father guides the horse. Her mouth is open and dry. Her lungs are in great pain from sucking in as much air as she possibly may. Her father continues giving her no relief.

Suddenly her bare foot catches a rock. She stubs her toe and blood starts to run from a cut on the bottom of her heel. She tumbles and falls. Her father stops and brings the horse over. "YOU HAVE FAILED ME AGAIN!"

"Please daddy!"

"AN ONNA-BUGEISHA DOES NOT PLEAD! SHE DOES NOT SHOW EMOTION IN PUBLIC! SHE DOES NOT FAIL!"

Miwa gets up slowly and starts to back away from him. He easily catches her and scoops her up. Holding her in front of the saddle on her stomach so she has no purchase to fight back. She starts to cry.

"Now it will be worse for you. When will you learn Miwa. Other's lives will depend upon you. There is no room for emotion, there is no room for crying. there is no room for failure."

He takes her back home to a post in front of the house. Blood already rings the post from the beatings of two years. He lashes her hands to the top and rips her kimono off. Miwa continues to cry. He shoves a round piece of wood in her mouth, "YOU CANNOT LOSE ANY TEETH. YOUR MOUTH WILL BE AS MUCH OF A WEAPON AS A SWORD. IN BATTLE. YOU DO WHAT YOU MUST TO SURVIVE!" He then takes a rope and ties it round her mouth and head to keep the wood in."

Her sisters looking out turn their heads away.

"IT WILL BE TEN LASHES THIS TIME, AFTER YOU QUIT YOUR PRATTLING AND TEARS!"

Several minutes go by as her father waits for the terror in her mind to come to a crescendo then Miwa feels the sting of his whip.

Miwa wakes up screaming in a cold sweat. Whoever is in the room next to her beats on the wall in a show of displeasure. She sighs, the dream vivid now will regress in a few moments to a flickering vision. In an hour she will not remember it but that doesn't help past events. She'll always remember the past events and her brutal training at the hands of her father.

She goes to the small desk lighting a lantern and opening her journal.

Tomorrow, I go to camp after a 10 day of field training. I must meditate on both my victories and failures these last days. So much has happened I don't know where to start. but must start somewhere.

Pepper, my Percheron and second horse here has died. I tethered him next to the labs leading an expedition deep within the labs. We fought all the way down to the mind mother succeeding in defeating her. I had one great lose that day. I wanted to face the guarding of the 7 keys. I challenged the strange giant wraith of a creature and was soundly defeated. The fight was short. I find that if I am ever to challenge it again, I will need many wu-jen and priests standing beside me.

After the exploration I went back to the labs to pick up Pepper. He was gone. There was a small pool of blood where he had been with a bruised apple in the middle. I thought it may have been an enemy sending a message. (I have made a few.) I purchased a new war horse. This one a girl and near 500lbs lighter than Pepper. She is much more docile. A 3-year-old already trained. It did not take long for her to relearn basic commands in high shou. I call her Sakuru it means Cherry Blossom in western common. I searched for Pepper or his carcass for many days finding nothing. Just yesterday I met Kaz. He told me that he had tried to feed Pepper an apple. He bit him, broke his tether and ran down into crater lake. He did not last long with the great monster.

Kaz also told me something extremely sensitive that only he and another know. I kept my peace and my word to tell no one else but the other person. I even kept it from them for several days that I knew. Such was the sensitivity of the information. At last questioning late last night I questioned the other one. They confirmed what Kaz had said. I will not even write what was said to me. It is for the two of them to work out. I will remain silent and watch over the whole affair until the end.

So many people have asked me about Bushido, the code I must follow, that I have written a small book on it and given it to the library in Kies. I tire of repeating myself over and over for these westerners. If the library accepts it, then I can just say go to the library and read the book. I did get a lore master key for my efforts. It was surprising but I welcome the chance to read further into Kries laws.

Early in my field activity I tried to advocate for both Kage and Kaz with Elvalith. We tried to work together to find a way where at least the hengeyokai could walk along the borders of the city without the guard going after him. In the east many hengeyokai are tolerated, even accepted depending on their breeds nature. Here it is a different story. Kaz I was not so sure about demon blood is something hard to overcome. Can it be? I was taught that all mortals are equal under the heavens. Perhaps not in social class or job but all deserve a chance. Again here it is different. I have trouble trying to sift through the heart of bushido and the law to find the right path within my own conscience.

I went to the library to learn all I could of laws surrounding these odd races. Hengeyokai, half-angels, dragons and demons. the law gives no loophole for these. Thus, I must abandon outright advocacy. I cannot put myself or the greater meaning of my own code against the law of the city. Still if I meet with Kaz or Kage and someone I know dislikes them I will politely tell them to leave the area. There is no need to be aggressive with others over this. I have also gotten word from Kaz that he will do this for the benefit of all that may be concerned. I do not know about the hengeyokai since I do not understand him. I just know that wolf hengeyokai represent the code and are of a social nature. They are tolerated even helped in the east by druids and others.

Shortly after my first day in the library I got into a grueling battle of words with an acquaintance by the name of Sephir over the very same subject. I think we both hurt each other badly. I wanted to apologize to him soon after but have not had the opportunity. Something in his past has set him to hating anything out of the ordinary. It was plain on his face. I understand the past and sometimes what it makes you become. My bloodlust in battle is well known both at home and now here. I believe my father intentionally instilled this in me. I do love and understand him, but it was wrong for him to do some of the things he did to me. If ever I am to teach another, I must find a way to do better than he.

There was an art festival in an elven city. The sponsor convinced me to set up a display. I do not know how to do art but like all samurai daughters I know how to sew. I made copies of my kimonos and put them on display. Some liked it; however, a distastefully disrespectful gnome made his way to my booth with too many questions. I answered them honestly sometimes brutally which scared off several noble women. I say too many wrong things at just the wrong times. If my husband were still here, I would have remained silent while he talked. He was always much better at it than I.

I liked a lot of displays. They were very creative.

that elf that stole my horse was right across from my booth. I tried to intimidate him saying that if he did it again, I would stuff a katana down his throat. He replied "It doesn't matter. You're only human."

My relationship with Elvalith has grown much stronger. She is like a sister to me now. I would defend her with my life. She probably doesn't know that so I will keep it secret. Seth though knows. He came upon her with that liar Izzy as I was off scaring away goblins. I pincered the two between Elvalith and myself. Seth took offense even though my eyes were focused on the drow. I came around the hill and shielded El with my horse from the bitch of a liar.

I came upon the drow again up at dragons reach with a group including Seth, Kaz, Orn, One of the hellshires and a few more. I would not directly speak to her if I could help it. I was given a package to deliver to Elvalith to which I did.

There was an incident in Lowtown, a murder. Many of my colleagues were there. Lott, Tova, Elvalith, Adrian, the eta beggar girl and others. The Flames made their presence known. there was a squabble over jurisdiction being Lott is a kries knight, Elvalith a magistrate and the Flames trying to push their weight around. After the incident I went back to the library to find that who holds jurisdiction where, when and why is a grand cluster and mirky at best. I plan to write a letter to Daimyo Bargus and the council on this when I have the chance. Perhaps wise ears will hear. Most likely not. who wants a foreign woman telling you your government is so screwed up that it will eventually collapse in an infighting of clans or organizations.

Thats all I can remember now. I need some rest and pack up for camp to meditate, pray and train. My sword has grown in power, and I cannot understand the workings. Is it the part of my soul nestled in the blade trying to connect more strongly with me. I do not know. It is a question for a wu-jen or priest.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa is in her secret camp among the Feywood. She is dancing among the trees in a sophisticated kata. Her ears being her guide she tries to sever over 4 dozen apples tied to tree limbs between them and a bell set just an inch above the fruit.

Sakuru her Andalusian war horse grazes well away from where Miwa is training and attempting to assess her closeness to her blade that has grown in power in the recent months. Her blade now wrapped in a divine fire fed from the inner workings of her very own soul. She has no idea how the blade itself has grown in this way. She is not a priest or one who works magic. She is a rare female knight from the east. If she were male, she would be called Samurai, but she is not. Being that females take a lesser status in her homeland she is known as Onna-bugeisha. Still, she is a knight of her people and must uphold all the ideas, vows and traditions of her male counterparts. To not do this would mean death by suicide as would be ordered by her lord daimyo.

When finished she takes off her blindfold and looks to the apples hanging in the trees. She looks disappointed. She thinks to herself, 'The wind must have changed the threads enough that she missed. Yet deep down she knows better.' Deep down she knows that she has failed miserably in cutting the threads between bell and fruit. As she ponders what is next a sparrow flies down from a nearby tree. It slowly transforms into a Kozakura woman.

Miwa bows keeping her eyes of the strange woman who retains both the eyes of a bird and has feathers for hair.
"Greetings and honor to you Priestess Haruki of the goddess Namikami. What do I owe the pleasure. I hope I have not offended."

"Barasume Miwa, those who watch you have seen you defend a brother Hengeyokai even to your own detriment. Your faith in the code and the 8 million has pleased both the goddess an all Hengeyokai such as me. However now that you have set yourself on this path, We the goddess and all Hengeyokai that know of your actions now charge you with their defense.

You see Miwa there are many more of our brothers and sisters upon this island that you do not know. Many seek peace without being hunted or misunderstood. Thus, my goddess charges you with helping the people understand that we pose no threat to them or their states.

Miwa takes a step back, "I am not of hengeyokai. I am an Onna-bugeishia seeking my own quest. How can your goddess set me to task when I do not harbor ill will or good intentions of your people. This is the task of someone who is meant to be amicable to the people. I am not I struggle with what I say so as not to offend yet many times I do. I have also lost a good man to which I admire over the hengeyokai Kage. I simply knew that Kage being hengeyokai and wolf would not intentionally hurt one of society. Beyond this I seek council with the lord of this land Bargus so that I may hel to stopping a tragedy of clan fighting I see in the future of the city called Steinkies. This city has no directive on who is in charge of what, where when or why in city politics. This is the true task I seek for several knightly clans fight for position among the human population. This task priestess is beyond me."

"The 8 million have called you Onna-bugeishia Miwa. You have already heard that call in dream though you may not remember. You have an inner fight brewing within you. The teachings of your father against the teachings of your husband. You will Dream Miwa. You will dream of the past every night until you have found the balance your soul yearns for. And you will continue to dream until you take up the mantle of this task. It has been decreed by the celestial host that you are the one to attempt this task. We all hengeyokai are depending upon you.

This does not mean you should give up other task that you set before your plate. It is in addition to what you have decided to champion. The 8 million calls to you Onna-bugeisha Miwa What do you say!"

Haruki watches the woman's inner struggles. A woman not used to dealing with questions. She knows that both samurai and their female counterparts hardly ever question their motives or inner feelings for they are not trained to question. They are trained to have unquestioning loyalty to the status quote of their nation and to those directly higher in the military order. Haruki rather enjoys the indecision of the lady knight, yet still fears denial for Miwa she knows is the only one that could possibly advocate for her people as a whole being that she knows them. But she also knows that if the woman gives her word she will go to task until it is complete. It will be a matter of honor.

Miwa struggles within herself in the right thing to do and to say. She doesn't want involved in yet another task when her plate is full with both her quest and the idea of stopping a major downfall in Steinkeis from the infighting among the Kries knights, Flames, Magistrates and whatever other clans are involved. Now she is almost paralyzed as wind swirls around both the Hengeyokai and herself.

Miwa draws her sword and looks deep within its depths. Haruki being sensitive to the divine is completely surprised for the sword holds a divine fire within the likes she has not seen in a very long time. She knows Miwa is very close to finishing her quest and if she takes up the task the hengeyokai knows she has picked wisely.

Miwa half prays/half speaks to her, "I will fight for the Carp, the Crane, The Dog, the Drake, I will fight for The Wolf, the Hare and the sparrow. I will not fight for the Cat, the Fox, The monkey the raccoon dog or the rat. for these I stand against for the betterment of society."

Disappointed but not entirely Haruki bows to her. "I leave you then Lady Barasume to dream your dreams. A Gift from one of the 8 million but not my goddess. Perhaps with it you will find the candle in the dark that holds you back from your quest. That last spark to help you fully understand the part of you set to your blade."

Miwa watches as the woman shape changes into a sparrow and flies away. She both wonders and dreads what is to come in both reality and dream. Reality being full of dangers. Dreams of the past to which she dreads not only because of others but because of her own twisted past.

//OOC For those that do not know about the 8 million gods

The Eight Million Gods included a host of deities, spirits, and incredible creatures,[3] and even ascended mortal heroes.[5] There were the Heavenly Deities[6] and the Animal Spirits.[7] They included:[note 1]

Namikami, called Heavenly Sister, creator of Kozakura and many other deities and spirits;[8][9][10]
Nagikami, called Heavenly Brother, creator of Kozakura and many other deities and spirits;[9]
Susano no Mikoto, Fierce Wind Son, a wind god and son of Namikami and Nagikami;[11][12]
Fire Bright, a fire god and son of Namikami and Nagikami;[11]
The Spirit of Wa, creator of the islands of Wa;[13]
The Amaterasu, goddess of the sun and dawn;[14][2][3][15]
Tsukiyomi, the moon god[16]
Tadasu no Kami, "God Who Rectifies", god of justice;[16]
The Spirit of the Sun;[17]
Ninigi, the August Grandchild;[13]
The Bloom Lady, sister of the Rock Lady;[13]
The Rock Lady, sister of the Bloom Lady;[13]
The Earth Dragon, basis of the Dragon's Spine mountain range of Shinkoku;[9]
Okuninushi, god of fertility;[16]
Priapus, another god of fertility;[18]
Ontogo, a god of darkness;[19]
Chirasu, goddess of stealth and patron of ninja, yakuza, and others operating out of sight;[20]
King Judge, judge of souls in the afterlife;[13]
Jizo, wanderer of the River of Three Routes and protector of deceased spirits;[13]
Ababuio, a deity of good luck;[21]
Bishamon the Wide Hearing, guardian spirit of Wa's north;[4]
Komoku the Wide Gazing, guardian spirit of Wa's west;[4]
Zocho, the Watch of the Lands, guardian spirit of Wa's south;[4]
Jikoku, guardian spirit of Wa's east;[4]
The Lord of the River, a spirit deity of various rivers;[22]
Elemental earth and fire spirits of the Daidake volcano, venerated by the Temple of the Red Fog;[23]
The greater earth spirit of the island of Yarujima;[24]
The krakentua ruler of the Isle of Gargantuas;[25]
Bear God, an animal spirit;[11]
Eagle Goddess, an animal spirit;[11]
Suku-nabiko, a moth god;[26]
Sagashi, fox-god and guardian of Miyashima;[27][10]
Ama Kurisuki, a goddess worshiped by the cherry blossom spirits of the Maeshi Province;[28]
Various other animal spirits, worshiped as deities by korobokuru;[11]
A dragon turtle spirit deity, appeased on the island of Obakuto;[29]
A sea god venerated on the island of Senshi in Kozakura;[30]
The Emperor of Kozakura, who was believed to have divine ancestry as a direct descendent of Amaterasu herself;[2][3][31]
General Yoshibei, called the "War-God", defender of Nakamaru of Wa against invasion from Shou Lung and raised to the status of local deity ;[5]
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa is in front of her home. Her father is in clothing and wields a bokken. She is also in a kimono wielding a bokken especially made for her size at great expense from her father even when she does not know it. She is now only 9 years old. Miwa goes into an iaido stance and waits. Her father measures her. He looks to her weaknesses before going on the attack. She blocks the first attack raising her sword to the correct defense but before she can make a counterattack her father’s bamboo sword strikes her ribs throwing her to the ground. She spits blood and stands bowing to her father.

“You are dead! Again!” She goes back into stance. She glances at the pole on the hill level with the house. The bed it rests upon is completely a reddish/brown color out to 8 feet and smells of the iron scent of blood: All of it is hers. She sees her sisters near it watching. Her two older sisters talk amongst themselves. Her younger sister Sango looks on with worry. Her distraction only brings her pain as her father strikes down upon her collar bone with his bokken. “You are dead! When will you learn, Miwa. This is life or death, and your musings will only cause death for you and those you defend! AGAIN!

Again, she coughs up a spray of blood. Her father totally disregards it. With a broken rib and a deep bruise on her collar bone she struggles to get into stance but does just as her father attacks her again. In desperation she tries a spinning move. Her sword angling to his gut as she spins. Her father defends himself easily and waits for the opening to come. When she is near finished, he doesn’t even use his sword. He punches her with his gauntleted fist, breaking her nose. She careens to the ground holding her side trying to get up again. Her father, an impatient man, walks toward her. “You think you can make that move at 9 years old! I commend you for trying but condemn you for recklessness. Very few can attempt that move and live to the next day against those that know it! YOU ARE RECKLESS! You need to be tamed. And I will be the one that does! That is 10 deaths Miwa and I, your enemy remain unharmed! You know what to do.

Miwa struggles to her feet. Again, she coughs, light spray of blood accompanying the sound. She stumbles up to the pole. Placing her chest against it she undoes her own clothing and lets it fall to the ground. She raises her hands expectantly. Her father ties them to the post. She opens her mouth obediently as he places a piece of wood and ties her mouth with a cord. He backs up and shouts, Izumi come here!”

Her oldest sister comes over to him and bows silently, expectantly. “Watch her eyes Izumi. For every tear I will add another lash.” Izumi moves to the post and watches Miwa’s eyes. Her father takes his horse whip and swings his arm behind him. The beating starts.

Miwa feels the lash once again. She stares at her sister who is smiling. After the fifth lash Izumi raises her hand then again at the seventh and eleventh. Miwa’s heart and mind fill with rage for she has not shed one tear. Her sister had lied. She strains at the wood in her mouth biting down ever harder as she imagines ripping out Izumi’s throat. Her father’s closest adviser walks up to him, stopping the punishment. Miwa hears the conversation.

“My lord, your daughter already has grave wounds. Doing this I fear may kill her.”

“If she cannot take the punishment for failure then she is no daughter of mine and unworthy of her title and family name. Never again interrupt my training or it will be you on this post. I will not be so kind……” Miwa passes out before she can hear more.

She wakes up in a cold sweat, her heart pounding within her chest. The first thing she does is sit up on a nearby log and look around while thinking of the dream. Sakuru is grazing. Her makeshift water trough is low. Miwa goes over to the nearest small waterfall and fills up a bucket. She then stops to wash the sleep out of her face and wet down her hair pulling the sticks out from behind her. She then goes over and fills the water for her horse, sits back down and opens her journal.

I came back for two days to field train with those I know and also know more about the cities laws at the library now I have a loremaster’s key. I spent the better half of the first morning in the library. Afterward I adventured and bountied with a few people. I had a great success on the first day. I and Elvalith went alone to the Orc stronghold in the mountains. We planned our attack carefully, eventually winning the day and destroying all the orcs we could find right up to their treasure room. It was a good day and a success that will not be readily copied by others. I singlehandedly took out their weapons expert there by being as ferocious and unpredictable as I could be. Elvalith and I went home with a full load of treasure and healing potions.

The next day something happened that affected me greatly. I was at camp when Tova suddenly wanted to look for new clothing. I forget what exact piece of clothing she was looking for but was pleasantly surprised that she felt the need to try something new. She should also take a bath occasionally. Sometimes she smells like a grave.

I told her of the shops at the outpost in Feywood might have what she is looking for. We gathered a large group and started to make our way there. The group included not only Tova and myself but also Swiftbow, Sephir, Lydia, Tommy, and Estella. The first thing that happened was at the edge of the Feywood we met two women. Neither of whom I knew. They mentioned their names. One I cannot remember, the other I do. Her name is Nicolette. I had heard some tales of her and her angel like voice. They did not seem to want to come with us, so we moved on.

There is a strange ravine just before you get to the Elven Outpost. The is magic here. The wind almost visibly whips through the canyons below. Us warriors wanted to move on through the area of the outpost but Tova and one of the other women intrigued but the haunting effect of the ravine wanted to explore the area. I, Swiftbow, and Sephir waited just to the north for the rest to do their walk and come back. I tried to break the ice with Sephir so told him an old war camp joke. I still have not apologized to him. I should. I shredded him badly the last time we met with my words. He did the same to me.

The joke was: Why do women make better cavalry then men? The answer: They enjoy the ride.

There was a deafening scream and shouting. I and Swiftbow went to investigate. I left Sakura tied to a tree. When we got there, we found Estella had fallen into the ravine. The fog was thick, but I could hear her voice talking to someone or something. I threw a rope down at her, but she seemed to ignore it. I couldn’t tell because of the fog. All I know is the rope remained slack.

Tova started to walk away from this group saying we should move on. Estella caused her own fate. I found that an odd comment from Tova. Estella suddenly ran from whatever she was talking to and the whole ravine erupted in more terrifying screams. I started to follow Tova but stopped. All my training from both my husband and father told me that I could not leave a companion to whatever fate awaited while there was still some hope that we may retrieve her. I think Swiftbow had the same feelings He stayed with me.

Looking over the ravine we saw a form we thought was Estella running to the edge but suddenly some form of elven ghost knight appeared before the two of us. He attacked Swiftbow first. I drew my swords and attacked It trying to give him time to escape. The ghost warrior brought down the elf quickly and turned to me. His first strike sent me reeling with surprise and pain. Pain, I have not felt from another in a very long time. I managed to strike him once to almost no effect. He counterstruck trying to take my head. I partially blocked the blade, but its force drove my katana back and cut a devastating cut from my ear to my chin. The pain that came from that blow overwhelmed me. It’s freezing touch imprinted something upon my soul, I think. A draining cold I have never felt before.

After an unknown time, someone got me back up. I wobbled to Sakura and could hardly mount up: the fatigue so sever. The group made it to the edge of the outpost. Estella and Tova started to fight a war of words. I slouched in my saddle, closed my eyes, and meditated struggling through the numbness in my limbs. Swiftbow fell asleep.

The next thing I know, Swiftbow is yelling and carrying on. He was living in the past sleepwalking. It drew me fully alert. Sephir and others worked on getting him sane again. I had seen this many times in the clan wars. Samurai with too many battles and to much blood of their comrades on their conscience. I waited until all the theatrics were complete then went to the outpost to rest.

When I woke up everyone was gone except for Lydia. She told me that Tova had gone into the swamp with Estella following. We went to the village in the swamp first. After finding no sign of them Lydia had to leave. I also left the village and surveyed the swamp itself killing gnolls along the way. I found the two women in a far corner of the swamp. Tova was performing some form of ceremony on Estella. It looked dangerous so I watched over the women until Tova had finished. When it was over, and I knew both women were safe I left them to their own ends.

Later Elvalith and I received a bounty for a necromancer deep within the labs area. We took two others Lydia and a dwarf and went there. The dwarf was an unusual fighter that used a trident. I forget his name, but his valor stood out to me. I, however, was sluggish in my attacks and movements. My aim was imprecise. It seems that whatever happened in that ravine affected me in more than one way. I hope with 10 days of training and meditating that I may find a solution to this malaise. We did dive all the way down to the bottom of the labs. I wanted once again to go after the wraith that guards but logic took over my bloodlust to vanquish this monster that has defeated me once already. I could not defeat him with the small group we had.

I used two reciprocating blades during the battles. One of the dragon at the elevator and the other on the mindmother herself. The four of us did defeat the mindmother and creatures in the labs. All but Elvalith went down more than once but we eventually conquered the place. Having spent these last few days I packed up my things. Said my goodbyes and left for camp training.

I have sent two letters out thus far. One to Daimyo Barasume and one to Lord Bargus. It may take weeks or months for the letter to my lord to get to him. An answer may not come for weeks or months after that. The other letter was to Lord Bargus. I waited at the tackle for word from him but have not received anything back. I am prepared for this thinking that the lord may likely ignore such a request from an unknown foreigner. Still the tourney said I would have ‘a dinner’. It says something about the lord of this city if he chooses not to respond. When I come back, I will keep my ears open for word from the regent but will not count upon it.

Lastly, I have been so lonely for someone to talk to that I asked Elvalith if she would like to learn High Shou. Surprisingly she said yes. So, I am teaching her the court language of the east. It would be good to be able to talk to someone in my own language again.

I know my struggle with myself is just starting. I must find a breakthrough to my inner self to figure out where I stand. I dread things to come but I will stand and face it as best I may whatever the outcome.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

"When the true warrior goes into battle, he does not concern himself with his past or his former greatness and strengths, nor is he concerned with the consequences of his victory or failure, pain or pleasure, life or death. The greatest warrior has confidence in himself. He is open and aware of the situation without thinking of the good and the bad. What makes him a great warrior is that he has no opinions; he is simply aware."
- Chogyam Trungpa

Miwa and her sisters come back from school to meet the youngest, who is not ready for her schooling for another year. Miwa is now 10 years old. Izumi is the oldest at 15 and ready to marry once her father finds a suitable husband for her. Haruki the second daughter is 13 and is being prepped by the school in mathematics and other studies required to maintain a Samurai’s household when the husband is away at war. Miwa is learning her letters and dance for these are the basic things any samurai daughter is expected to learn.

The three come back to find their sister Sango sitting on the couch. Beside her are three boxes. Izumi is the first to run over and take interest. “Presents! Did Daddy buy us presents?” She looks to Sango. Sango nodes, “Daddy did.”

Izumi looks over the packages and grins as Haruki comes over interested. Miwa sits down in a chair wishing she was not around because when the girls are given gifts often, she is excluded. Izumi muses, “Oh look this one's for Sango.” She hands the box to Sango. “Open it up and see what it is?” Sango opens her box to find a new pair of silk zori. The shoes are made of elegant black silk with tiny white doves dotted along the straps and sides of the sandals. They are padded and soled in thick leather, also black for a seamless look.

Sango giggles and picks them out of the box trying them on. Then she looks up at all her sisters. Izumi and Haruki both clap and smile. Miwa makes a slight smile to her little sister and gives her a nod. Izumi picks up the other two boxes. “I wonder what these are now. Let me see. One has my name on it. “Oh, and this one’s for you Haruki.” She gives one of the boxes to her other sister while grinning at Miwa.

Miwa used to Izumi’s taunts just nods. The two older sisters open their boxes revealing the same shoes only larger. They also try them on to find the fit perfect. Izumi musses. “Let’s dance in our new shoes to break them in. The three hold hands and dance together. Miwa can’t help but roll her eyes slightly at the scene.

While they are trying out the zori Izumi again perches up. “It’s too bad Miwa can't wear shoes. But after all. No man would want such a beat-up monster in him home anyway. That’s ok Miwa. I’m sure daddy will find a tanner for you to marry for only an eta would have such an ugly piece of artwork.”

Miwa calms her temper and replies, “Father has bigger thing for me than you. Your only job will be making babies and getting fat for whoever, you marry.”

Izumi smiles, “I think you’re right, Miwa an eta would be too honorable for the likes of that face. You need something bigger. He’ll put you under a pony instead. I would watch in fascination at such a mating.”

Miwa snaps after years of abuse by both her father and her older sister. She comes after Izumi in a flash. The fight’s on! When it is done Izumi has a broken ankle on one leg and a broken shin on the other. Haruki, who jumped into the fight to protect her older sister, has a dislocated shoulder and a broken arm along with several bruises on her face. She’s out cold. Sango is crying. Miwa is standing over Izumi muttering, “Say, it again. Just once. Say it again.” Izumi is looking up at Miwa in shock and horror. That is when their father steps around the corner.

“MIWA!” Miwa turns to face her father. She bows and heads to the front door of the house. Before she gets three steps her father ask’s, “Where are you going daughter?”

“To the pole”

“No, come to my office.”

Miwa steps to the side and slowly walks toward her father’s office wondering what new torture he has in store for her. Meanwhile he looks down at the carnage. “Sango, get the healer and bring him here to take care of this. I don’t want my daughters marred before they are married.” Sango goes running out the door to fetch the local village healer.

Miwa waits in his office standing at attention with her head down. Her father comes in, goes into a closet, and fetches a clay jar and some wooden cups. He sets the items on his desk and looks at her.
“Miiiiwa? Eyes up! Look straight at me.”

Miwa steadies her resolve and looks up to her father. She gets confused. He is smiling. She waits for his word meeting him eye to eye.”

“Five years, Miwa, five years I have waited for this moment. The moment I knew I had trained a true warrior. You stood up for your honor. You had Rectitude and you won your first battle. Now that you have done this make sure that you do this all the time. Let no one treat you like she did. Let no one go unpunished for disrespecting you or your family. Understand? Because if you do you will rue the day.”

Miwa bows, “Yes father.”

Her father grunts. “That is not the way to react at your first victory. You are my daughter and mind what I taught. Stoic in public, true feelings around family, clan and comrades. Come here and give your proud father a hug.”

This throws Miwa in shock. Never had her father treated her like her sisters before, she remembered. She jumps up to him. He catches her and gives her a tight hug. Her father starts to cry, “You are my true heir Miwa, My legacy. I will teach you everything I know and hire those to teach you what I don’t.” He walks over to another closet holding her. This one she knows is where he hangs his best clothing. He opens it revealing a smallish heavy suit of Onna-bugeisha armor complete with a kabuto and a men-yoroi mask that looks much like a demon.

She looks at the armor stunned, “It’s for me?”

“It’s for you. Tomorrow, you will follow me on horseback. You must keep up Miwa or I will take you to the pole.”

She nods as he sets her down. He walks over to the desk and unstops the jar pouring liquid into the two cups, “And for your victory we will share some sake.” She wrinkles her nose.

“Ah my dear, Miwa” Handing her the other cup, “It’s an acquired taste come we’ll sit and talk about the future, Father and daughter.”

Later that night there is steak at her father’s plate and Izumi’s plate. When the girls come to dinner, Izumi and Haruki in casts Izumi smiles and is about to sit down when her father says, “STOP!”

Confused Izumi looks to her father, “This place at the table is no longer yours Izumi. Miwa will sit in your mother’s place from hence forth. You will eat fish and rice with your other sisters at Miwa’s seat.”

Infuriated Izumi speaks up. She points at Miwa, “She’s the one that beat us up! She’s and ugly crazy, bitch that doesn’t deserve such honor! I’m the oldest! This is my place!”

Shinto Sadao looks at his daughter with deadly calm eyes, “Your sister Miwa is an Onna-bugeisha. She may not have her kaiken yet but in my eyes her status is elevated beyond yours. She is a warrior. You are nothing more than a birthing cow. Now sit where I say you will sit, or you will enjoy your own form of punishment.”

Izumi limps over to where Miwa traditionally sits. Miwa takes her place by her father’s side. The family begins their meal: That is all but Izumi who slumps in her seat and cries. Sadao begins to talk to Miwa discussing past battles and tactics that their clan used in each of them. They completely ignore the crying woman. Haruki eats silently looking down at her plate. Sango looks around sadly thinking of all the day's events.

Miwa wakes up with a start. Sakura is lying next to her giving her warmth. Miwa gets up on one knee and looks out into the darkness. Tiny bells sing along the trees. She huffs, “8 million, I don’t understand why you are doing this to me. The past is the past. The now is what matters.” She looks up at the stars thinking ‘I know there is a reason, but it is beyond me. Perhaps I must talk to someone.”
CTP team member