Darts at the Inn
This forum is for anyone to put their PC's stories down for other servers than Anchorome and Harvestmoon both long dead. Many may read them and get some inspiration for their own characters or for dming from their adventures.
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Darts at the Inn

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Over at the wayfarer's inn within the city of Caergoth Three friends, Sneed, Stamm and Stein start their weekend revelry with a game of darts. Drinks in hand they play while talking about the week just past.
"Aye fellas, Ain't seen Cat for near a month. Anyone seen him?'
"Just pulled in on the Merry Beth, Stein. Should be here next few hours. If'in he wants to be seeing old friends.
"He'll be here when he's done at the merchants you two, heard he picked up quite a load of gems and weapons. No one knows where he got'em but I bet it'll be an interesting conversation." Their leader Sneed replies.
Sneed continues, "Anyone make anything this week the Boss be wanting to know. He wants his cut if you do. Getting pretty angry about our activities or should I say our lack of activity."
Stein the short fellow with the brown eyes and black mustache responds, "Hell, boss! I keep tell'in you we need Cat to do a big job. No one smarter or quicker than that elf and being one of them there professional locksmiths. Hell, this city be ours inside a month."
Sneed sighs, "That ain't what Cat wants boys. He don't like the city one bit and finds his own way. Got to be respecting the elf for doin that kind of life. Most us be having no choice in the matter. Dock working pays the rent but what we do on the side just helps getting our wives the little things they like. Which means we get what we want from them. Cats cut from a different piece of cloth. Got to admire it. By the way anyone got a take for me to be taking to the Boss?"
Stamm the tall goofy looking one that's been winning all night speaks up, "Nibbed me a box of jet gems from them dwarven mines down south. Nothing too valuable but our girls will like them." He passes five stones to Stein and ten to Sneed, "There's the bosses cut, least now he wont be complaining so much."
Sneed looks over at Stein, "What was your take this week Stein and don't be holding back."
Stein smiles, "Got me a shipment crate disappeared off the Singing Dame, Sneed. Large crate of cotton fabrics. We'll be fashionably warm this winter. Can't be bringing it round here. Too big. It's at the house."
Sneed smiles and slaps Stein on the back, "Now that'll please the boss. Good work Stein. We'll wrap it up in a few hours and go to your house then mine."
Stamm looks over to him, "What you got boss?"
"Something we cannot use. a small crate of them cold stones from up north ways. They're for the professionals like Cat boys. We use them and probably likely be caught up and going to the justice. Best sell them to the boss and take our cut."
Stein replies, "Is a good take boss but can't we fence em ourselves? Boss never cuts right."
Sneed frowns, "I know but that's the price we pay for keepin the wives happy. Can't keep this one from the boss. He'll figure it out eventually and there will be hell to pay. We take our cut and thank him. Maybe buy a silken dress for the girls with our cut. Should be enough for that."
A red-haired elf walks into the inn. He looks beat up and tired. His leathers are torn and cut in places. His eyes are black and blue and there are bruises in just about every place you see skin on him. He limps over to the area the three men are playing darts and sits down at the nearest table. The waitress doesn't even ask but puts a full whiskey bottle and a glass in front of him. He pays her in gold instead of steel. She smiles and walks away.
Sneed looks surprised, "What in the nine hells happened to you, Cat. Looks like you got pinned under a wagon and drugged through town."
The elf unstops the cork and pours himself a double, "Success boys. I took out the gnolls. Had to do it alone but I took them out all except those two shamans they had."
The three stop their game and sit down with him. They take the bottle and pour themselves some. Stein is the first that talks, "What you talkin bout Cat. I heard of Gnolls coarse I did but what in blazes are they."
Cat rolls his whiskey around before swallowing the last of it then pours another. He leans back and looks at Stein giving him an inside half-smile, "Gnolls are bigger and taller than old Stamm here and they look part wolf. Nasty humanoids. They say a Gnoll can give it a go with an orc."
Stamm utters, "Dannnng! how many were there?"
Cat starts counting, "Two guard at the front of the cave. Four inside the entrance then two more fore you get to the throne room. In the throne room is were all the heavies were King, Queen, Shaman, heavy infantry even."
Sneed waves his hand over the table to shush his Conrad's, "How'd you do it Cat?"
"I shouldn't be telling you all my secrets. You three if I know ya will wander off and get yourselves kilt in the forest. It's not a place for city folk like the three of you. Still I'll tell ya. Maybe you can use it one day.
I knew I couldn't take them all alone. I needed help but couldn't find any so I needed some mechanical help. Been there before just past Solace and even seen the throne room but before I'd take out a couple of guard and run with my booty. So I needed some trap stuff.
Most trap stuff is hard to find Cathrops are outlawed, cant find any acid or alchemist flask but I know where to get a lot of skeleton knuckles and I know where to get them stones that make a big bang when you crush them."
Sneed cuts in, "You mean thunderstones, Cat?"
Cat nods while taking another swig of whiskey, "Yea, Sneed thunderstones. So I go down to Tarsis. I fought bunches of skeletons in them dried out docks and secured me plenty of knuckles. Then I travel over to that secret elven place I know and get me those stones. Now I got me some help.
I'm ready. I take that ship to Crossings and a ride to Solace all the while making some things that will give them gnolls plenty to think about. I take out the outside guard that was easy. The four at the entrance weren't so easy. I got befuddled up for a few moments fighting them off and got a lot of bruises and cuts. The two in the next room same thing happened. Gods were na with me that day for sure. Had a hard time but made it through. I then take time to set up my traps dozens of them. There's a tunnel makes an L just before the room so I lay the traps down to where they cant see them. After I lay them out I sneak close as can and take a shot at one of the guard. They all come after me cept for the shaman. I run past the trap. All the guard go down cept the king and queen both badly hurt.
I fight the queen round the corner first she was the worst off and easiest to take out. That done the king comes for me. He draws out this massive two-handed sword and attacks. I get pushed back by his attack and what the hells do you know I come into view of the shaman. They send badgers out to help him. I duck and dive for my life. fighting away from them magic guys and fending off the king and the badgers. Decided I had to take out them critters before the king so I could concentrate. Mind you I was taking a lot of cuts now and blood was starting to drip. Not a good situation. Finally got them badgers and I got lucky taking the king down soon after.
Now that done I had them two mages to deal with. I was so badly hurt that I knew was no use but tried a different tactic. I snuck in and raided the place with them still in the room. snuck and hid till I got to the chest and lifted their treasure. Was disappointed weren't that much in there just some stones. Did get a good amount for the weapons though and this ring which I cannot use."
Stamm looks at the ring, "It glows awful bright, Cat."
"Yea Stamm that's why cant use the damn thing. It's called a ring of resistance. Helps you fend off things. Problem is the damned light it emits will get you kilt in the forest at night. Not a good thing."
Sneed eyes up the ring, "What you gonna do with it, Cat?"
"Think I'll hold on to it maybe find a mage that can take the light off it. If now maybe give it to a lady someday catches my fancy."
Sneed keeps his eye on the ring even though he knows he's outclassed by the elf, "Good on you, Cat. A toast to your health."
The four take a drink and pass the bottle round. Stamm comments, "We should start callin you the forest ghost, Cat. Tell us what else you found out there."
"Tell you what. Next week I'll tell you some more of my ventures. hows that?"
Sneed thinks a moment and asks, "Offer still stands, Cat. We could rule this city in a few years."
You'll find someone, Sneed. I just cannot stand the city life. You know that. I'd be willing to tip you if I hear something though."
Sneed puts his glass up, "A deal then. For now."
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Re: Darts at the Inn

Post by Winterhawk99 »

The boys are having a ball with playing darts tonight. Sneed and Stein even brought the wives. They sit at the table drinking some concoction the bartender made while watching them. Stamm as usual is winning. While all of them are conversing with one another; Cat walks in bearing an unusual necklace. It shines of gold and has the sigils of the dragon army around its rim.
The boys stop their game, Move a second table next to the one their wives are sitting at and sit down. Cat walks over and sits with them. All gets quiet until the barmaid comes over with a bottle of whiskey. She sets it down with a crystal glass in front of Cat. He pays her pours himself a good amount. Raising his glass he salutes the ladies first, "Anita, Elan, Cheers." They raise their glasses in salutation.
Cat pours himself some more and salutes the boys, "Sneed, Stamm, Stein, Here's to you boys." They raise their glasses. All drink.
After a long while Sneed speaks up, "Damn, Cat you need to tell us the tale of that new amulet. it looks awful heavy. Has to be a great tale about that, and by the way. May want to be putting it under your shirt with those symbols sticking out like a sore thumb."
Cat puts the amulet underneath his shirt. Pours himself another and downs it. He then looks over at the boys and says, "First things first. You all did me a service by keeping your eyes on the stuff I stowed at the docks." He pulls out a bag and divvies out 50 coins to each of them. The girls smile and salute the elf.
Sneed looks disappointed and looks over that Elan who bats her eyes at him before Cat continues, "You see boys of all I have found out there bandits and highwaymen are the worse. Why you say? Because they can match my own skills toe to toe and if you get two on you at once one is playing with you while the other is trying to stab you in the back but I overcame them I did."
Stamm looks angry, "But Cat they're our brothers?"
"Look Stamm, if they cannot keep what they stole then they don't deserve to keep if form themselves. Get my meaning?"
Sneed looks over to Stamm to get him to quiet down and exclaims, "Ok, You took on some bandits but how did you go about doing it Cat?"
"Remember all that stuff I put in that barrel on the docks, Sneed? Well I figured it was time I used it. I knew there was a bandit hideout near that keep up north. Been wanting to see what was in there so I scoped it out much as I could for many months. After I figured out how to get in and get out I took that stuff from the docks. I killed all the guard on the outside and snuck around the guard on the inside.
Now these bandits are pretty well organized and have a lot of mercenaries mixed in with axes and shields. So I laid out the stuff enough to end any resistance all the way to the entrance. bout 30 traps in a mix including a bunch of poison gas. I snuck in and made an appearance. The thieves went after me and died as I lead them through trap after trap then I snuck right past the mercs and looted everything they had. That's how I did it."
Sneed shakes his head, "Maybe not the forest ghost after all Cat. Name really suits you, you know. You got at least 9 lives."
"Well may have had to use a few of them a time or two but all things equal out you know."
Stein interrupts, "We should be doin what Cat be doin, Sneed!"
Cat looks over at the boys then the ladies gaging the thoughts, "Maybe I'll tell you how to do a good find next time we meet boys, for now I just want to enjoy good company with friends."
With that they all talk about the comings and goings of the locals and the word on the street. After a long few hours Cat gets up to make his way to a prepaid room. Anita gets up and hugs him, "Thank you Cat for your generous donation. We girls appreciate that you look out for our men as well as they look out for you." As she's hugging him she filches a few coins from his purse.
He smiles knowing what she is doing and gives her the peace out sign in thieves cant, and whispers, "No problem Anita. Share it with Elan."
She smiles, "I will"
Cat wanders off to his room leaving the others to their daydreaming.

---
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Stamm and Stein are playing their Friday afternoon dart game while Sneed is fidgeting with a letter. He looks up at the game from time to time and making comments, "You know boys we might just have to do a tournament someday. You two getting pretty good at that game.
Stamm smiles, "Might just have too, boss. You right about that ole Stein here I think is just about ready."
Sneed looks down at the letter again, "Anyone know if Cats in town?"
Stein winks, "Sure is. Saw him down the wharfs stringing a line."
Sneed nods to him, "Thanks Stein." He then looks for the waitress, "Hey, Sally Bottle of whiskey and a glass if you please. I got to go. Need to talk to the old boy."
Stamm takes the hint, "Anything bad boss?
"Na, Alls good Stamm. Least for now."
Stamm winks and smiles at Sneed as he gets up grabs the whiskey and glass from the waitress's hand heading out the door.

Cat looks from his line to his basket. There's already a good bit of fish in it but no big ones yet. Still it's enough to last a few days after proper salting. As his eyes drift back to the line, he catches a familiar man walking to him. Whiskey in his hand. Cat smiles and gives his friend a salute.
Sneed sits down beside him and pours a double as Cat says, "Take some weight off Sneed and take a few fish home to the wife."
"And you have a good slug, Cat. Brought a bottle of your favorite."
They both have a drink. Sneed takes a few fish frowning, "Small this time of year mostly red fish but you get what the sea decides to bless you with."
Cat just nods to him and pours himself another, "Must be important if you gave up your weekly game to come see me Sneed?"
Sneed frowns and pulls out an envelope, "You was raised by humans weren't ya Cat? Well, got some news you probably understand."
"Aye was raised by three generations but you already know the story, Sneed."
"Well, There been a lot of talk bout your comings and goings round the city. I hear things you know being sort of a junior member of the operation."
"I know you got your crew. Small stuff on the docks, right? You know me. I don't know nothing but I thank you boys helping me out."
"Well they just don't know what to do bout you, Cat. You know how it is. Your name starting to get known and all for all the bounty stuff you been doing. They aint so happy bout you feuding with bandits, but they kinda happy too cause bandits is bad generally for sophisticated businessmen in the city. if you know what I mean.
Cat nods to him, "What they decide. Should I avoid the city?"
"No nothing like that, Cat. They want to make a deal of sorts."
"Aint joining Sneed already said as much."
"Don't need to. Let me explain. What they're offering is pretty good. They want to make you like me sort of don't be tangleing with him cause he helps out, but you don't get a seat at the table so to speak. We make sure you're left alone to do your thing while your here but you stay way from business in the city."
Cat nods, "What else Sneed. Seems way to ease a deal. Favors me too much."
"Yea, There is one more thing." Sneed pulls the letter out of his pocket, "Bosses want to know what you know. Want you to draw a map and tell your stories bout your ventures to me. I have to give it to them at the meetings."
Cat weighs the words. Looking up at Sneed he takes the papers and puts it in the folds of his jacket. Sounds like a fair deal, Sneed. We're good then."
Sneed smiles and takes a swig out of the bottle then pours his friend another.
"Let me tell you bout this little town I just found right outside Solace called Gateway, the cemetery of this village, and an old, abandoned house that has something dark and frigid within that wants to steal your soul.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

It's Friday the evening game starts once again in the late afternoon. Sneed has been staying out of it while Stamm and Stein play. This time Cat is early joining the fun at the board.
Stamm comments, "You back early, Cat! Good to see you could join in."
"Aye, picked off an easy load this week from some caves and have to think about another place that confounded me with a puzzle."
Sneed brings his beer and picks his ears up. Cat winks to him. Stein remarks, "What you talking about Cat we want to know and we thinking about going out there too you know. You could be showing us some of the ropes to gaining more than what we pinch at the docks."
"Wow, Fellows! You all have to have the right equipment but more than that you got to have the right mindset. Besides you all have wives to come back too, And I'm pretty damn sure they want you back. You do alright don't ya?"
Stamm lifts his beer takes a swig and comments, "Got to be something out there we can try out Cat. Hell with you bet we could sweep some goblins out of some hidey-hole and clean up the leavings. Hell, Cat we look at you with all those fine clothes and weapons. Money enough to go down the red light district whenever you get the mood. You don't even show steel no more. Its all gold, and let me tell you dangerous in some of the town to be shown gold. You know as well as we do."
Sneed finally speaks up, "Cat don't have to worry bout that stuff anymore Stamm. I made damn sure of it. There's and arrangement made."
Both Stamm and Stein turn their heads to Sneed with a look of surprise then back to Cat in renewed respect. Stein blurts out, "Damn, Cat a seat at the table. Congrats to you."
Sneed shakes his head, "No seat, Stein. Just an old-fashioned arrangement. We worked it out."
Stamm shifts his eyes and thought and adds, "Well, That's still an honor to Cat." He lifts his mug to the elf and the elf in turn raises his whiskey glass.
After the toast Cat gets a dreamy look to him. He starts his advice, "If you two or three have a mind to get yourselves kilt and are dead serious. I guess I should give you the best vice I can. Up north there's a couple nests of goblins. One of them just outside the city to the east. they be pretty easy to take on and they make a good first test. Mind you if they get you they'll kilt you and roast you over a fire. bring bows and swords you be needin both. Mind your brothers and bring lots of bandages cause even if you don't get kilt you'll be getting lots of cuts and bruises.
If you make through that ordeal theres another nest of them up near the crossings close to Solanthus. This big old tree fell over an old crypt system. Them goblins got in. Hollowed out that old tree and infested the crypts bellow. Not much there mind you, but you might be finding some gold and such maybe a good dagger. Don't be going after no Gnolls, or bandits. You aint ready for that kind of thing. Stick to goblins.
Stamm and Stein give Cat a salute while Sneed just frowns then he smiles coming up with an idea. He mentions, "You two go off and try to do what Cat does then I be wanting permission from Anita and Elan."
Stamm stammers, "Hell Sneed, You know that aint gonna be happening. You screwing us!"
"We got us a good life here! I won't be loosing a good crew over some hair brained ideas bout getting rich quick. Hear me now. You two get permission and I'll lead you there. Understood!"
Stein shrugs, "It'll never happen."
Stamm bumps his shoulder, "I'll come up with an angle Stein. Don't you worry. Just give me some time."
Sneed lifts his beer to Stamm, "You do that Stamm. Now anything you want to mention, Cat?
Cat rubs his beardless chin, a habit picked up from one of his two human fathers somewhere back in time, "There be one thing, Sure. Up North there be a couple passes between Palathus and the big Keep near the plains. There be a door by a bridge there. It be full of Gnolls. Cased the place out plenty of times and know about a locked door the gnolls don't full with. Well brought out my picks and stuff. I snuck in and opened that door. Found another locked door after a small passageway. Seem like someone didna want to be disturbed. I picked that lock too.
Theres a short series of tunnels and rough hewn rooms past the hallway filled with all kind of undead. The ones we elves can take care of cause ghosts do not give us a scare. You humans. It be the wrong place to be. I'm pretty sure that.
Anyway. I found me somethin strange there. A huge room with a big hole in the middle. There be an island pillar of land in the middle of that hole. Undead milled about a chest. Only problem is a couple of granite boulder done blocked a path cross some strange invisible bridge there. I kilt all the undead but couldna for the life of me push the boulders down into the hole. Wasn't strong enough. Want to know whats in that there chest.
Sneed nods, "Hows about we help you with those old boulders ifin we get a cut of whats in the chest?"
Cat mulls it over in his mind and nods to Sneed, "You get me the right stuff and you three will get a cut of what I find. Remember that there might be nothin in it but if there is I'll make sure you alls efforts aint wasted."
Sneed nods and holds out his drink. everyone toasts the arrangement. Cat pulls out a very nice dagger from his boot, "Here, Sneed. For the stuff. Should be a little left over for you and the crew too."
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Cat comes off the docks of Caergoth to find Sneed supervising a load on another Ship. Stamm and Stein are in the work crew he is supervising. Cat saunters on over to see what's going on and get the news of the day.
"Hey, Sneed how's business?"
"Cat! your back from your adventures. Good, how'd you like to give the crew a hand?"
"Depends Sneed. What you looking for?"
"Festival is in full swing round the city. Them high brow types call it tourney. All the knights from round about's come to town to do a big show."
"Know what a tourney is Sneed. I'm not that backward as you know."
"Yea, sure, Cat well. Me and the boys plan to join the crowds at the tourney fields. pinch some things. Just for practice you know. What we need is some interference if authorities take any notice. You know squires that don't mind their own business and guard that might just get too close.
It's nothing major just have our back and the good thing is you won't be doing nothing anyone else would be that takes an interest in things round them."
Cat weighs it over a good while then finally says, "Alright Sneed. if there ain't no danger and I'm helping the boys out I'll do it."
"Good see you tomorrow. We'll met you at the inn at quarter sun. Sound good?"
"Sounds fine Sneed see you then."
Sneed turns back to the business at hand. Cat goes to the inn and buys a room for the night.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Cat stands at the end of the stands at the tourney field. The boys and he played some darts waiting for Sneed to make his appearance. He came late with a better plan. They go to the tourney later rather than soon. Sneed and the guys go up to the top of the stands and watch the jousts. As the day gets long people leave and the rest in the stands move down to get a better view, And what do you know things just fall out of their pockets and purses as they move closer.
Cat didn't care. All he's supposed to do is stand here and act as interference. So far none of it was needed. The boys got lots of practice on surly sailors back at the docks. These uneducated civilians have no clue making them easy marks as long as the boys are careful bout what they do.
Three more jousts and they are done. The boys take a good load back to their wives. Sneed slips him a few coin to make his stay in Caergoth easier. All works out. That is of course until the red belt shows up at the stands looking at the crowd.
Cat trips and pushes him with his beer stein, "Oh, sorry there, squire. did not see you there."
The squire locks his eyes with Cat, "Who the hell are you and what are you doing blocking the entrance to the bleachers?"
Cat looks left then right, "Well now, what do you know I am blocking them. Didn't mean to. I'm just a forester come to town to see the gentlemen muddying themselves."
"You don't look like a forester to me, elf! You look like trouble."
"Course I don't look like a forester. Got my city clothes on. I'm no trouble to you just mistaken. Don't know much bout the city ways and didn't know was blocking anything."
The squire gets a wry smile, "If you're a forester you must know something about falconry. That's one of the things you're trained to do for us muddy Gentlemen, aren't you?"
Cat folds his arms defensively and widens his smile, "Just might know a thing or two bout birding, Warden."
"Alright then how do you get you're bird to hunt in the first place?...….. Forester."
"Oh that's an easy one. You stop feeding it. Bird hunts by weight. It weighs this much its hungry and wants to hunt. It weights that much Its happy and content and there isn't a thing you can do to make it hunt till it gets its weight down to hunting weight."
The squire rubs his young beard in surprise, "I've misjudged you forester, My apologies. Careful what you wear in the city. Good folk might peg you a miscreant of ill intent. There are lots of those type running around the city while the tourney is going on. I suggest you change into something proper for a freeman."
"Advise well taken squire. I shall change to proper clothes after the jousting. Afternoon to you."
The squire nods to him and walks away. Cat turns around and the boys are gone. He walks back to the inn near the docks whistling thinking to himself that if Sneed is generous maybe his take will be enough to spend the night at Bessie's Beauty Boutique. He grins as he opens the door to the inn and turns the corner toward the dart board.
Stamm and Stein are playing darts while Sneed is with a robust human at the regular table. Still smiling Cat deftly unbuttons the leather strap to his skinning knife and sits down. (Godfather theme music starts Wink ~~~)
The fat human starts the conversation, "Hello Cat. I've heard much about you and would like to thank you personally for helping Sneed and his crew. I know we have an arrangement and I also know you have taken time out of your busy adventuring life to help your friends.
We who sit at the table appreciate this gesture of good will. Therefore, I have added a few coins to your take to show our appreciation of this act.
You can call me Uncle Ahern being that I'm the one who takes care of Sneed and the boys. If there's anything special you need You are welcome to come see me. I work as a foreman at the docks tower and represent the men that work there. You can find me in the tower most days."
Cat looks at Sneed who winks at him then back to Ahern, "It's mighty gracious of you Uncle Ahern to add to the coins, Thank you for your generosity."
The waitress puts a bottle of whiskey and five glasses in front of Cat. He pours the whiskey into three of them and slides two in front of them, "And, I will take your offer into consideration as I come in and out of the city. There could be a few things I be needing from time to time."
Sneed comments, "What did I tell you, Uncle. Cat's cut from good cloth."
The three down the whiskey. Cat pours another round and Ahern smiles, "Business is business. There's no need to pinch anyone long as things are arranged. So tell me Cat what's out there beyond the gates we might not know about."
"Well, Uncle Let me tell you somethin you might not know. You see there's this old farmer up north near Gythwerr. He's kind of a strange crotchety fellow. Something funny about him if you ask me but you see he has this giant ant problem.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Cat walks into the inn at the docks of Caergoth to find a sorry scene, Stein and Stamm look pretty beat up. Their wives Elan, and Christy are tenting to them meanwhile Anita is saying some pretty harsh words to her husband.
Cat considers whether to hide and go upstairs but he cant just walk away from his friends in town when a gaggle of women are accosting them. Even if they are their wives.

Cat quietly walks over to the tables. Anita spots him, "Speak of the devil spawn, And what do ya know. Good thing too cause we was about to come get you ourselves and drown you like the dock rat ye is. What you do'in fillin our men with all yer stories and now look what happens. Our men all filled up within you wild stories done got themselves into a mess.
Just look what they did to ole Stamm why don't ya. He'll wont be hav-en any tournaments soon with those fingers the way they are and the missed work...….Damn ya Cat!"
Cat's eyes go down a moment then back up to face her, "Hold on now Anita, Don't even know what's been goin on hereabouts. Been gone over a month now. Tell me what be the mean-in of all this and maybe can help out, and don't be worrying about missed work. I got someth-in for the boys here."
He digs into his pack and brings out some small vials. Pouring each into a clean glass he slides it over to Stamm and Stein, "Drink up boys. It taste like Gnoll shit but it'll fix you up. You go out adventuring like I do. You need to go see the witch first make you up some of these. If'in that's what you two been doing."
Anita waves her finger at him, "There be no more of that here You damn alley cat. Our men don't be needing to go out and making a fuss with some goblins or gnolls, and you still be encouraging them!"
"Anita! Slow down and tell me what in the abyss been going down. I don-know!"
Elan speaks up, "I tells you what happen and I got harsher words for ye than Anita but that aint meant for the polite company round here. You filled up their heads with your tall tales of gold and treasure and they done went out and near got themselves kilt out beyond the east gate. We been here patchin them up all day long. Uncle Ahern aint so happy neither. They be missin work cause of all this and nothin to show for it neither!"
The two boys drink their potion then gag on the taste. Stamm starts to smile, "Least I can feel me fingers now. Feelin better all ready."
Stein flexes his shoulders, "Hey me too, whatever this stuff is its great"
Cat looks at the three women and winks at them. It was obviously the wrong thing to do. Anita starts up all over again, "Don't be winkin at us you damn tree rat. You's lucky ya came by here just today. If one of the boys got hurt bad and couldn't work We'da found ya and carved our names in ye flesh. And I'm sayin this now so you not be gettin any more of yer ideas. NO MORE STORIES!"
Sneed frowns at that. and looks over to Cat. He can see that the gears are turning pretty quickly cause Cat needs the boys and the boys get some extra from the table for talkin to Cat.
Cat throws up his hands, palms forward, "Guess I won't talk about the Vampires far, vary far, away from here south of the desert past Tarsis."
Christy wakes up from her tending. She looks at Cat with big round eyes, "Vampires! I heard they was Handsome, I did? Anita why don't you let ole Cat tell him his story. After all like he said Tarsis is far, far away and you knows our men wont be traveling near that far. Ifin they do they be know-in what be wait-in for em back home."
Sneed gives Cat a wink behind Anita's back. Meanwhile Anita just folds her arms, "Alright but if its anything near the closest port, Cat. Just don't be say-in it. You hear me! We ain't gonna be putt-in up with our men going out and get-in kilt over treasure and glory. One more story more than a few days ride and I swear we'll be beating you till Ye own mother could not be recognizing ya. You hear me!"
The other two nod in a show of solidarity. Cat nods to her, "Yes Ma'm. No stories close to the city here. Now let me tell you about this burned-out town called Donetta, just south and east of Taris and it's masters that hold up in their unground lair."
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Cat saunter's into Willie's after several months of wandering. He had been in town for several days but avoided the inn due to the last encounter with the crew's wives. The scene unfolding to his eyes is a mystery. Well not completely a mystery.
Cat sizes the large banquet table with the boys and all their wives sitting there having drinks. There are two inconsistencies. The first is an empty seat (obviously mean for him). The second is the young human girl sitting beside the empty seat.
Cat measures the scene with a very critical eye. Meanwhile Anita spots him. The wives all get up and wave him over. The que he's been looking for. There are conspiracies in the air tonight, but he cannot avoid them. He has been spotted and has to go through this human ritual. Damn those girls they just don't know who they are dealing with.
He walks over to the table taking his place as the girls sit down just after the guest to be hung over a spit and roasted has seated himself. Elan hits her glass to get everyone's attention while the waitress sets two bottles of whiskey in front of him instead of just one.
"Wives and Men of Dock force 10. One of our friends Cat, The Forest Ghost, has returned home to us again uninjured and well. Today we are celebrating his good fortunes with the crew and the success that has befallen us through his wanderings.
It is through his stories that we have been able to acquire bonuses from our Uncle and shed light onto which ships hold the most lucrative trade so that our crew may personally oversee the exchange of goods.
As every retuning hero We have a banquet to show our appreciation of Cat's generosity, but every honorable guest of course needs a lady at his side. Cat this is Rebecca or Becky our friend. She is young and entranced by the stories we tell of your exploits. She asked to join us for our banquet."
Cat looks over at the boys who are sedately nodding as they drink their toast. The fix is in and he's not sure how to deal with it so he goes along. Holding his glass up he drinks a sip in salutation and thankfulness."
then he turns to Becky and salutes her. She smiles while taking in some very strong drink he notices. His eyes dart to the other women round the table for but a second and back to her.
The waitress brings dried spiced meats to the table along with cheeses and slices of fruit. Olives from Tarsis and other delicacies from far away lands. Small talk erupts around the table. Becky with eyes as wide as a doe asks him, "What's it like to travel so far and see all those places you talk about?"
"It's its a rough life, Becky. You see here the scars on me face and arms. Got a good bit on me legs too. There be times that make up for it. Sunsets on the ocean. places you think only can be found in fairy books. Yea sure but out there. Well out there everything wants to kilt you and make you for dinner."
"So....Why do it then? Is it the steel?"
Cat laughs, "Aye, the coin play a bit of it. There be good steel in bounty hunting, but more important to me is the freedom. Out in the wilds you see there ain't no one to tells you what to do. No conflicts of opinion. Just you and nature. She's a harsh mistress. misstep, go off like a halfcocked crossbow or be stupid out there nature will nigh get her revenge she will."
"I guess its not something a girl could try could it?"
"A girl could do it, Aye. It would take a lot of guts, training, and tenacity. That's about the way of it. I seen women even human women take up the sword. I haven't seen them more than twice, three times maybe."
"They say you walk quite as a mouse and can only be seen ifin you want too.?"
"Well, I picked up things along the way of my journey that help lots...…… Why you here Becky. I never seen you here before?"
"My momma and Christy are friends. So when Christy...….invited me here...….Momma said I should go be a good thing to meet the ghost."
"Yea, bet she did...………" They are interrupted by plates of beef roasted outside on a spit and bowls of black pepper dipping sauce. Sneed stands up.
"Before we eat we was wondering if ole Cat might have a story of two from very far away. Too far for the boys to travel of course. From near the far ends of Ansalon. What you say Cat?"
Cat stands and salutes his friends, "Well I'll give you another story bout the desert then from a little ways back. You see before you hit that ole burnt out town Doretta there be an seemingly innocent cave along the way. Now in the desert there be these creatures called Sligs. They're like these tall lizard people walk on two legs and I tells you all you underestimate them you'll be getting yourselves kilt real quick. Tougher than the gnolls these are I say. I snuck in but they quickly snooped me out They did and the fight was on. Lucky for me I made me some traps near the entrance...………………….."
Cat finishes his story and everyone salutes him. Sneed looks happy. After some more small talk Cat excuses himself to for some relief and to get something from his horse. He does his business and walks out the front door. A woman's voice from behind surprises him.
"And Just where you think you going you gutter rat?"
Cat turns round while replying, "Nice try Christy, but its time to go."
"I cannot believe you be leaving a girl all ready and set up for ya Cat. What's wrong with ya!"
"I know a con when I see one Christy. You girls been conniving hind my back."
"You might not be thinking you one of us Cat but you is. You might think you too good for us dock folk or us Human cause that you elven but you is one of us and it be time to be home within you family. You grows up human and ye belong with us you dirty gulley rat." She exclaims almost breaking a tear.
"That ain't fair Christy and you knows it. Know what its like losing three generations of you family while you still in you late teens. Wasn't fair to me and it wasn't being fair to my family. It won't be fair to you and yours and it sure aint gonna be fair to a young girl that gets old before my eyes while I still be looking the same. You got to know the understanding of it. I like you folk and help time to time.
I even think of the lot of you as family and you know what when the last of ye dies of old age me heart will be wrenched again cause you right I do think like a human. There aint no elf like me. I get to be watching everything I love fade away again and again, but its the way of it.
Accept me as I am and I'll keep coming round. Helping out. You get my help. I get a fleeting moment of having a family. I got to go now. Give my regards. Sorry bout the young lady but I aint falling in love to see it wilt in an instant. Hope you understand Christy cause ifin you don't I'll stop coming.
We have a spit and a shake then?"
With tears now streaming down her eyes Christy doesn't say anything to him but gives him a nod. Cat irritated now walks round the corner and disappears into the night. The memories of the past haunting his thoughts.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Cat lies in bed letting the world turn around him. His thoughts wander wherever they will. Darkness has fallen over Caergoth, except for the exertions of couples in the rooms next to his. All is relatively quiet. That is until the commotion starts downstairs.
He turns his head to the buxom brunette lying beside him. Sleeping soundly in whatever dreamland her head created for itself. What was her name? Tina, Tonya? It doesn't matter. She did the job he paid her for and did it well.
Cat quickly dresses as the angst downstairs rises. He can now smell smoke coming from the door. He checks his equipment...… and his coin. Putting a few extra steel down on the nightstand for the girl, he makes his way out the door and down to the Lobby. Seeing the state that its in he starts to run. The doorway is on fire along with the rest of the threshold.
Girls dressed in skimpy outfits bring water pans while several men including the owner throw them on the flames. Cat springs to action. He puts his gloves on and takes out his wood hatchet. Running to the door, he strikes the frame. The fire is unusually hot. He busts up half the door frame kicking out pieces of wood onto the street when he notices his tool has become dulled, the head is starting to glow a dull red. It has to be alchemist fire. Someone purposely set it.
The group of men and women put out the fire. The owner thanks everyone sauntering over his way.
"What the hell happened Clyde?"
"T'was a demon, Ghost. Wings, glowing eyes even had cloven feet he had. Threw something like a bottle into the doorway. It exploded raining fire all over. Glad you was here to help out."
Cat nods to him, "You say cloven hooves?"
"Yea like one of them creatures in the picture books. play those pipes."
"Yea, seen someone like that wanderin round these parts last few months."
"you got friends in low places, Ghost. And you even a bounty hunter. Bet there's a job for ya in this, there is?"
"Not my cup of tea Clyde. If you want to fight a demon. You need magic. I got no magic. What I will do is get with me friends. Tell them what I know."
Clyde looks disappointed but nods to the bounty hunter, "Well guess that's enough then. You go to it, Ghost."
"Ah, huh."
Cat makes his way into the streets and sees most of the docks burning including willies. There are men near a ship that's burning. They are in a water bigrade. He runs over to him and spots Ahern. He runs over to him.
"Anyway I can help, Uncle?"
"Men on the sea pump been there near an hour. You could relieve them, Cat."
"Guess, I'm your elf. Need to talk to ya after its all over. Might know who did this to the docks."
"I hear you. Now let's get on the pump."
Cat goes over to the pump and relieves the guy working the lever. he works a good half hour when Sneed and the boys run over to him with another man. The man he doesn't know replaces him at the pump. Sneed explains that Stamm's house is on fire and his kids are still in there.
Cat takes off with the crew noticing that the wounded are being piled up between Willies and the burning ship. Priestly types are tending to them along with the local alchemist. They rush To Stamm's house to find one of the main beams of the building blocking the door. Stein hands him a crowbar They get to work, but no matter how they chip or work with the 8x8 beam there is no moving it. Stamm becomes frantic.
Sneed suddenly says, "You three keep working it. I'll get more help. He runs of. Stamm, Stein and himself work with the beam. Stamm jams his crowbar behind it while he and Stein chip away at the beam. They work a good ten minutes when Cat here'v a voice, "All of you stand back!"
Cat sees the mage apprentice that he had contact with a few years back and immediately gives her a wide berth. Stein follows his lead but Stamm, frantic to save his children still struggles with the log.
The woman holds out her fist full of sand or dirt and murmurs some form of archaic language. Stamm drops to the ground. Cat cannot pick up what she is saying but she motions them to take Stamm out of the way.
They run up taking Stamm's limp body well away from the fire and good thing too because the mage starts to motion with her hands and speaking in some form of magical language. After the first spell it looks like tiny fairies are flying around her. She casts again and the very air around her bends and condenses to form some kind of protective bubble.
For her last magical feat, she motions with her hands and starts to whisper a spell but as she progresses in her casting her voice becomes louder and louder until Cat has to put his fingers in his ears at her words. She throws her hands out and a wave of sound hits all of them. Not only are they almost deaf. The wooden beam nearly cracks in half.
Stamm awake now from the boom of the incredible noise rushes after the threshold. With Stein and himself right behind. Now its easy They break the log in two and pull both pieces out into the street. Before they can even think the mage rushes into the burning building, seemingly immune to the heat and smoke.
They wait a full ten minutes. The inside looks like a dozen fire elementals having a party. The heat is so intense they have to back away.
A minute goes by, Then five. After ten minutes Stamm's children run out of what's left of the doorway completely unscathed. A few minutes later the mage crawls out of the building severely burn and mangled.
Stamm is the first to take action, "She save my kids. We need to do the same!"
They gingerly take the unconscious mage to the area where the wounded are. Cat runs to the alchemist, "The mage. She's injured!"
"Take me to her quickly! Aiauta is the one who set this wounded center up!"
He takes her to the mage, "Oh dear, oh dear! She's in bad shape but I have something for it. Hold her mouth open."
Cat does what she says. The woman produces a potion from the folds of her robes, " I only have two of these full heal potions. Now rub her throat while I pour this in."
Cat does what she says. The potion takes a few moments but the blisters and raw skin begin to heal.
Now Cat has seen a lot of things but he's never seen the potion healing process work like it did on that mage. Her skin changed several colors and textures as if it was not sure how to heal properly. but the illusion suddenly subsided and the mage was healed. Cat dismissed the vision. He looked around to see his friends shaking hands and patting one another on the back. The ship fire was out and already swimmers were going down to try to recover merchandise. The tavern fire has been put out but there is a lot of damage. Cat turns his attention to where Uncle Ahern might be. Sure enough he was comforting the recently cured or bandage wounded.
Cat moves over to the big human, "You got a few minutes, Uncle Ahern?"
"Sure Ghost. What is it?"
"I might know about the person caused all the strife here."
Ahern turns his eyes and meets him with his full attention, "Tell me ghost. Tell me what you know."
Cat gives him a long oration about a fellow he met with cloven hooves and goat like legs that has been wandering the outskirts of Caergoth. Ahern takes it all in then asks him some pointed questions to which Cat replies honestly too.
"I'll take this to the table, Ghost. Thank you. We will not let this go unanswered."
Cat gives him a nod. And with that he walks over to an ally disappearing into the night.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

This is the character introduction. I did not have it when I started posting so It's at the end rather than the beginning.

Catarnos takes another swig of whiskey at the Garnet inn. He is pale and his face is covered in sweat. The bartender calls over to the waitress.
"Sally what's wrong with that elf over there? Hope it isn't some kind of sickness or plague. May have to get him out of town if so?"
"He mumbled something about undead along the western road, boss?"
"Ah, the old place up on the hill. Best be getting the old potion woman she would know how to fix him right up."
"Boss! you know the old gal is sleeping this late. Maybe just let him fix himself with drink. Besiden, way he be drinking we can make a nice tidy profit off the old boy. Hell, maybe even more ifin he goes and passes out of us."
The bartender shakes his head, "No that wouldn't be right."
She looks around the bar room and spies out a smallish figure in a grey jacket with a hood on, "Ok Boss, what about Aiauta? She's in town pass'in supplies and letters to the old lady. Mayhap she can take a look at him?"
"I don't know Sally. Mages always scare the hells out of me. Besides far as I know she's only an apprentice."
"She's the best we can do for now, Boss. Sides I hear shes a might good with healing plants. I'll talk to her."
The bartender nods. Sally goes over to the woman in the corner of the bar and speaks with her.

Catarnos or Cat as he is called back home is sipping his whiskey and trying to forget the two horrors that chased him into Garnet when a strange elf comes over to his table, sits down and pulls back her hood. Its a smallish blonde Qualinesti with dark skin. She's not particularly pretty looking for an elf but still better than he is use to where he grew up. He blinks and says, "Don't know you, do I? If you're look'in for someone in particular its not me. I just want to drink my whiskey and calm my nerves."
"I think I can do better than that whiskey you have in your hands if you explain the situation to me."
Cat looks her over a second time. The clothing looks odd but its not leather. She's wearing two rings on her hands with archaic symbols, "You don't look like no priestess. You're a mage ain't you? Not sure I want to be a mages Guinee pig."
The woman shakes her head, "Magic should not be needed. My village is known for its herbal remedies. I'm willing to do it once I know what's wrong."
Cat gets a wry smile, "What's the price? There's always a price you know."
The woman's eyes droop. She looks lost for a moment as if she had not even considered a payment, Then they light up, "The price will be your story. Who you are. Where you came from what you do. Is that satisfactory?"
Cat considers the proposition then looks her straight in the eye, "You ain't no spy or something are ya?"
She simply responds, "No." He believes her. He hesitates in thought then asks another, "Long as you don't use magic guess its ok. Not feeling none too well after running from those things all night."
The woman nods to him, "Please explain the situation then."
"I was exploring a couple miles west of the village here and came upon an old burned-out house just north the road. I saw me some trunks and stuff round the house. Think I'd found me an easy treasure I start exploring the ruin. Everything was going good till I off and opened on of them trunks.
These creatures with glowing red eyes start chasing me. They were sort of like ghosts, but they also had flesh so not all ghost like a half-ghost. I knew I was in over my head, so I ran. They chased and let off an aura or something cause every so often I would get really weak. Used all my healing potions and restorative potions just getting to this here village for some help.
Thank the gods the bounty hunter was there at the gate. He helped me take the things out.
That's the story. You think you can get me up an running again?"
"You don't know the specific creatures that attacked you?"
"Hell's lady! Wasn't like I was gonna stop, measure their toe-nails and ask them what they are?"
The woman rubs her face trying to recall some form of lore, "Sounds like some form of undead guardian but exactly what kind? You said something like ghosts not completely married to the ethereal plane. That's curious but I think I can cook something up that can help."
The woman brings out a bowl and stone crushing thing and puts a bunch of herbs and liquids in it. When she is finished, she bids him drink it.
Cat looks at the concoction, "You sure this isn't gonna kill me and it doesn't have any of that magic hocus-pocus in it?"
"I'm sure."
Cat looks at the potion again, "What the hells." He drinks it.
His head feels dulled but other than that he does immediately feel better. His color returns and he stops sweating, "What was in that?"
"Just some herbs and a light sedative plant. It wont make you sleep but will calm your nerves. Now Your story if you please?"
Cat leans back in his chair drawing back his hair, "Right, My story."
CTP team member