Barasume Miwa
This forum is for anyone to put their PC's stories down for other servers than Anchorome and Harvestmoon both long dead. Many may read them and get some inspiration for their own characters or for dming from their adventures.
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Re: Barasume Miwa

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa does a full workout the next day. She comes up with an idea and goes into the tiger area. She gets two of them to chase her and runs as fast as she can to the desert. She skirts the line of trees until they almost reach her and then climbs up one before they can get to her.

“I’m sorry Toras for disturbing your peace but needed some running practice. I don’t want to hurt you being your patron is a major war god in my homeland.” She laughs and climbs a bit higher just to make sure she is safe. She needs to wait for a couple of hours for the tigers to give up their pacing then jumps back down going to camp.

When she does, she opens her journal and leans against the dragon writing.

There were two other major things that happened when I went back to the populace. The first warmed my heart. Trevelyan and I went to the stone temple. We picked up Jenik and brought him down to the practice field behind the Blackmore district. We put him on Sakura and walked around the practice tourney grounds. Sakura is a good horse as long as she doesn’t see water. We had no problems. We walked around and talked about light subjects.

Jenik desperately wanted to know if we had found a knight or school for him to train at. We said that it will take a small amount of time and to be patient. We are working on it. I hope to do that again. Perhaps if my station holds and I complete my quest I may watch the young man grow and become a knight. We had him ride at a slow gate. We walked beside them, Trevelyan and me. I felt comfortable. A new place I may be myself.

The other thing that happened was I received a letter from Drasta. She wanted to go to the old monastery. She had been studying it for some time I hear. So, I met her at the appropriate time, and we ventured out with Orn and Zainee.

We explored the crypts and figured out the puzzle with the statues. Then we fought the undead priestess or something in the cathedral. It was a very tough battle, but everyone survived. Drasta had found a piano key. There are several throughout the place. I believe the key fits many of them. We fought blobs of jelly like creatures and others as we worked our way through.

We then moved to the tower. I felt funny. I had been here before and our group had been soundly defeated. I worried about it. Still the others wanted to go. We decided to try to reach the top. As soon as we did, we were accosted by the undead and some form of warden. Negative energy abound in the tower sucking our energy straight out of us. He tried to cage us with magic several times we broke through. We also found a couple of leavers in places and pulled them. When we finally reached the end there were two doors. One was impassable because we only pulled 2 leavers of six. We had to take the other door.

When we got to the roof I looked around and recognized the place and immediately said, “This is bad! This is really bad!” Then told the others not to go anywhere near the altar. This was one of the few times in my life that I knew fear. Not the magical fear of dragons, mummies, or spells. True honest fear welling up straight from my gut. I knew we were in trouble and explained to everyone what to expect.

We had a meeting about how to do it. Orn said he had a lot of traps bear traps along with acid and fire traps. I though how are we going to move around all those steel jaws? He laughed and said it wasn’t that kind of trap. His traps summon bears. I looked at him incredulously and said OK.

He must have laid down 100 or more of these traps from grease to acid to others. When we were ready Orn was the one that prayed at the altar. I gave him my white bone shield to use. It did not take long for the angel statues to light up and move. Undead minions of the warden appeared and attacked. We fought them off. I focused on the other creatures using my speed and maneuverability to fight them. The others focused on the warden himself.

Time after time we fought him back and he came again sometimes creating a wind to knock us down our bodies sliding to the edge of the battle. I ended up fighting as many bears as his dark horde of undead. Still, we persisted and, in the end, beat him. I was amazed that we did it with only 4 and no one fell. Zainee suffered a lot of wounds as did Drasta. Drasta, Orn and Zainee did the lion’s share of the work. I just kept the others off them so they could fight the warden directly. I am happy to have done my small share of the work.

When we defeated the goddess’s warden a crack big enough for all of us to fit into another room. It was filled with treasure and waystones. Really big waystones. We each picked up a high magic item and split the stones. Orn and Zainee refused their shares. I made quite a bit for that. We also each found a tri-diamond and pearl necklace. I picked up a set of gloves for a paladin. The gloves were made for a follower of a god called Bahamut.

I was going to give the gloves to Trevelyan as a present however latter I found a knight that followed the god Bahamut by the name of Korander. I met Korander on occasion. A quiet man from Greenvale. I thought long and hard about it. It would not be right to give the gloves to Trevelyan when I knew a knight that worshiped a god the gloves were dedicated to, so I gave Korander the gloves.

I will find something for Trevelyan again in the future. That’s all I have to write about this last outing. I will sleep after dinner. Dinner is Raptor roasted over a fire. That is if Sniffles doesn’t try to steal it straight off the spit. If he tries, I’ll take the rod and bird off the spit and run as fast as I can. Maybe he wont catch me this time. Did I mention before he’s also a food thief! Damn dragon.
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

OOC// I updated Miwa’s name after doing some research on samurai names and translations.

Miwa and Ryuu are enjoying a morning tea when a woman in full armor comes in. She takes her boots off at the door and continues inside. Ryuu and Miwa stand up and look at one another and then at her. She bows to the two of them, both recognize her.

“Pardon the intrusion Lord Barasume but I needed to make haste.” There has been an incident. Ryuu gives her a nod. “A large wolf was spotted just east in the fields of Iwase. When Silkworm and I went to check it out he was still there. Like he was waiting for something. We thought water sickness but he’s not frothing at the mouth or showing any sign of aggression.

When we rode to chase him off, he took cover in the woods, however as we were going to the village he came back out to the same spot and sat down on his haunches.”

Miwa asks her, “Does this wolf have a black coat?”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

Miwa thinks, “The wolf has been here for years. I’ve never heard of him taking any livestock. I’ll check it out. Go back and monitor the situation until I can make it.”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

The woman does an about face, puts her boots back on at the door and leaves. Miwa downs her tea then stands on her tiptoes giving Ryuu a kiss. “It’s nothing Ryuu I should be back shortly. I should make our date in Ogachi.”

Ryuu smiles, “I’ll get ready myself and meet you there this afternoon.” Miwa bows to him, and he recognizes her. She leaves to the bedroom upstairs and puts on her armor. She walks outside and puts on her boots mounting Wasabi and trots off. Ryuu is shortly behind her.”

Miwa puts Wasabi into a gallop and heads down to Iwase. She gets to the village in due time to see three of her girls there. She breaks them up and sets them back on their patrols. After which she trots out to the eastern fields. Sure, enough the wolf is there watching her. She puts Wasabi into a slow gate, and he takes off further east across the fields keeping just out of bow range. She follows him. After a ½ mile or so the wolf turns north toward Ogachi. Miwa frowns a moment but continues.

Half-way between the two villages there is a large hollow thought to be cursed. The wolf goes into it. Miwa stops considering what the wolf did. Wasabi stomps a foot and takes a step back. “She pats his neck. “It’s alright boy. I wont take you in there.” The wolf comes back for a moment making sure she spots him then goes back into the hollow.

She dismounts at the same time unbuckling her mask and Kabuto, she straps them to the horse. Drawing her katana, she walks to the edge. The wolf has disappeared. Walking around the edge of the hollow she finds a deer path. She tries to investigate the hollow, but it is rather thick in there choked with thornbushes and weeds. The trees are also almost on top of each other. It doesn’t look to her like an easy place to negotiate.

She slowly steps down the deer path, hand on her katana. The brush coats her armor with stickers as she walks by brushing against them. She walks a hundred yards in, and it opens up to a form of grotto near the center of the hollow. It looks to be 50 yards in an irregular circumference. There is a natural fountain spring in the center. Water bubbles up from the spring then gently falls down the terraced rock until pooling to west then falling down a small slope creating a stream that meanders deeper into the hollow.

There is a stone altar on the other side. It is very simple but there are a few bowls there along with incense blocks. Silk flaglike sheets of blue and black hang down the sides of the sanctum.

“Shinto, Sukoshi Kuzuri, Barasume, Sukune, Yonaka Saku, Miwa.”

Miwa spins around drawing her sword and pointing at a man. A monk and mainlander by his clothing. “Who are you that knows my full name? Speak monk!”

The monk is wearing blue and black robes. He is shaggy looking with a long grey beard and messy salt and pepper hair. His mustache is small. His hands are together holding prayer beads. He separates his hands and slowly reaches out with his right while keeping the beads in his left. He touches the end of her sword and slowly pushes it down. She relents to the offense both because he seems not a threat and is a monk. “Be calm Lady Barasume. You have nothing to fear here.” He then does a sweeping bow. “My name is Junjie Zhu. I tend to this shrine. It is an honor to have you come. What may I ask, fair lady, brought you here?”

“I was hunting a wolf. You are Shou-Lung?”

“That old boy. He is of no bother to anyone. He as been here at least as long as I have, and yes, I am Shou-Lung.”

“I know he helped me with a crime once. He led me here for some reason. What is this place. The villagers say it’s cursed, and how do you know so much about me when I have never seen you before?”

“As to your first question this is a sacred place of the goddess Nagwatu. She is the goddess of floods and one of the earth dragons consorts. As a matter of fact, this place is cursed. You see She sleeps underneath this very hollow. Too much rancor and she will awaken to flood the lowlands. Not enough respect paid, she will also wake up and flood a vast area. Including the lands, you protect for your Daimyo. I help keep her sleeping by only letting a few who are brave enough to venture here worship her. A few villagers of both towns keep this place venerated and the goddess asleep.

As for you not knowing me, I do not know. I have been around for many years since before you married our lord Barasume. I am sure you just never noticed me before.”

She looks him up and down, “I think would have noticed.”

He meekly shrugs his shoulders. “Go ahead, Lady Barasume, drink from the waters of the spring. It is her gift to mortals for letting her sleep until the time the earth dragon wakes up millennia from now and she herself will awaken and go into his arms.”

Miwa looks to the fountain and back to him. She tries to calculate the truth of the matter and whether he is being honest. She makes her choice and goes over to the fountain. Cupping her hands, she takes a small drink from it. The water is cold and clear. So cold it burns her gums slightly.

She looks around again. “You say few should know about this place?”

The monk smiles. “Those that are ready find their way here Lady Barasume. I remember when you first came here some 4 or 5 years ago. A young bride forged with sorrow and pain. A young woman who’s heart was hard as stone. Now look at you. You are becoming a decent and just person. You do your family great honor now.”

“I have changed, I think. I have started to see other sides of life. I am by no means a good woman. I live in blood. I do however mean to be a just and loyal woman to those I rule over and those the rule over me.”

The monk smiles. “I do have a warning for you Sukoshi Kuzuri. The goddess sometimes lends me visions. A year ago, I saw something. Something about you.” Miwa watches him for any malice as he continues. “In my vision you were struck down with a great wound. It was a wolf. Not our old friend. This other wolf is young and ambitious. They prize your head.

Your reputation battle is climbing. You are known to be a great asset for your Daimyo and Shogun. There will always be those which will try to do honor to themselves by defeating you. You will survive but there will be great hardship from the aftermath and great sorrow. You are not done yet, Lady Barasume. From there what happens will depend upon you and what you do.”

“What do you mean great hardship and sorrow?”

“Prophecy is never that specific. Lady Barasume. I can say no more. Do be careful though. Please, if you will, pay your respects to the goddess. I imagine that the goddess will welcome the lady of the lands she sleeps underneath of.”

Miwa looks at the altar. She has always been a faithful woman to the gods. She is no saint and knows it so finds it best to be humble and placate them when near a shine. She walks over to it. She lights a few sticks of incense and places them into one of many blocks already upon the altar. She then places a small bag of field rations upon the stone that she always carries when patrolling. She then prays for a few minutes. When she is finished. She turns around. The monk is gone.

Miwa looks around the grotto. There is not even a trace of where the monk went to. She walks back to Wasabi getting more stickers on her armor. From there she starts out toward the village of Ogachi. Along the way half her squad comes riding to find her. They are practically charging at her. She stops and waits for them.

They slow down as they reach her. Silkworm again leads the party acting as her second. The woman takes off her helm and they all bow to her. She recognizes the. All of them show excitement. Silkworm speaks. “The tensions in Renkyu have come to a head my Lady. Shogun Iwari and Shogun Dosaki have declared war! We must prepare for battle.” She hands Miwa a letter.

As she begins to read, she asks, “Has my husband been informed?”
“Yes, my lady. He is informed and has his letter.”

“He has his letter? Who will run our lands?”

“Shogun Iwari is sending two retired samurai to tend to them, Little Wolverine.”

Miwa looks perturbed and looks up to the sky mumbling a small prayer. “So be it go back to Ogachi and collect Ryuu. I will make way for home and pack our things.”

Silkworm bows and doesn’t wait to be recognized. The whole formation turns their mounts and head in the other direction. Miwa gallops home fearful for her husband.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa feeds the dragon and goes through her routines. She is somewhat upset making for a bad training day. She knows now she has a great responsibility that she is not prepared for. She has made that mistake before. It was the day her husband died. The day she almost joined him. She has learned a great deal and has often done well in the last year maneuvering through the politics of The Thain city states. She has also screwed up so badly It almost put her in duels that she may or may not have come out of. What was the difference?

On those she did well at she was prepared. She had practiced every word she would say. She had tried to anticipate any questions thrown her way. She had meditated on the task set before her. On those that she did not do well at were days when she was thrown into the fire of politics on chance, surprise, and misfortune. I’ll prepared she dived into her baser natures. Mel, The mayor of Hamley, Sir Gregor. They all in some way offended, chastised, or outright broke traditions they were warned not to in advance. She almost went to take both Sir Gregor and Mel’s heads for their slights. The mayor being a coward she simply walked away from in disappointment. He was not even worthy of her sword.

Now being envoy to the city states of Thain, having an imperial appointment, things have to change, and she knows it. She must be careful of everything and everyone. She must choose her words in every situation extremely carefully. She must change her very nature. She must completely mask her true feelings. She must also find creative ways to tell the truth without letting her potential enemies know the truth.

All these things she knows just how ill prepared she is. She must learn all of this before someone tries to take her out. The imperial badge she now must wear is a target for anyone from Wa, Koryo, or even competing clans of Kozakura. She is also now in danger of yakuza and Ninja sent to Thain to take her out.

Her head swims in all these thoughts. She stops and goes to her supply tent. She pulls out a small trunk that Shogun Barasume had given her with the scrolls and letters. It is a special trunk for an Onna-bugeisha of the Shogun and Imperial courts. Within it are special items to protect herself when officially doing her duty to both Emperor and Shogun when having to wear court kimonos and seeing dignitaries of foreign countries. Even without a visible weapon besides her Kaiken she will now be armed to the teeth while seemingly devoid of weapons except again for her kaiken if she chooses to display it.

Within the trunk are 6 Kozakurian hair needles. Beside them are two vials of liquid. One of the vials has a simple mark. The mark is unique in that is specifies of the poison within the vial. Far south of her homeland lies a continent with unique creatures. On that continent is a small rat-like creature with a bill and webbed feet of a duck. The males have a poison stinger that is used in mating fights. The stinger has a special poison. The poison itself will not kill but any injected with it will suffer such pain that they will likely kill themselves rather than suffer another hour of the intense pain they experience.

The other vial is concentrated puffer fish poison. Miwa knows this well. It will paralyze a person working on their nervous system until all organs shut down. Those that survive the poison become so brain damaged that they seem like zombies taking any command from those that they think are their masters.

She looks to the other items in the case. She sees a coil of wire and takes it out to examine it. The wire itself is made of triple twine thin steel. It is flexible and sparkles. She examines further and finds that diamond dust has been embedded into the twine. At the ends are two hummingbirds meant to be perfect stops for her hands. She knows what its purpose is from her training. It is a garrot infused with diamond chips. If the need occurs, she can use it not only as a garrot but to cut the carotid arteries of a victim’s neck will she strangles them. It will replace her hair band on her war bun.

Miwa shakes her head. Drasta must have told Kyo of her new fighting style and he incorporated it into her hair accessories. Her war name from now on will be The Hummingbird (Hacidri) not Little Wolverine.
It will certainly confuse her enemies, acquaintances and friends when she returns to home.

Miwa chuckles at the thought. “So be it.” She looks at the final part of the case. There are two hand fans within. One slightly larger than the other. The smaller one has ribs of iron each ending in razor sharp excretions that lock into each other when the fan is opened. The fabric in between is made of soft metal fabric and there are two layers. She nodes in approval. Thinking, ‘I can use this in a tight spot both to protect my heart and to counter to the throat.

She puts that hand fan down and picks up the bigger one. The ribs of this one is steel. It has triple steel fabric in its veins. She can cover her liver, heart, and lungs with it. The ends of the ribs end in sharpened points. As she measures the weapon, she knows with her strength she could lay out devastating wounds while using it.

After looking at all that is in the case, she configures herself as wearing them. In times of need when foreign dignitaries are cowards and forbid weapons in their presence, she can be armed to the teeth without them even knowing so. She gives a nod of approval to both her shogun and the emperor for providing her with the tools to do her duty: The protection and honor of her people against the people of foreign nations should negotiations break down into chaos.

With that she places everything in the case the way it was and sleeps.

Miwa wakes up in the wrong body. She is disoriented at first and looks around and then at her body. She finds that she is in front of a war tent in footman’s armor. She holds a naginata. The war camp stretches out as far as she can see. A woman in calvary armor moves past her while saying, “Wake up Earth elemental! You need to guard me with your life.” Miwa bows as the woman passes. She seems to recognize her but just coming out of sleep everything is still burry.

Now fully awake……. So, it seems……… She stands guard over the tent. A man in elegant robes comes to the tent holding a naginata. She without hesitation blocks his entry. A hand suddenly rests upon her shoulder. “It is alright. I have guests. This is one of them.

As the figure rounds her, she sees that it is Endo Reiko, the Lady Wolf. Miwa wants to scream. She wants to do something to disrupt her hated rival but all she can do is stand at attention and listen. The man bows to the Lady Wolf. “It is done.” He holds the naginata out for her to inspect.

She takes the weapon and inspects it. “What does it do?”

The wu-jen smiles. “The weapon Reiko will take away any opponents ki incrementally. They will weaken. Their knowledge of battle and their experience in such will be at a loss.”

Lady Wolf examines the blackened blade. Its sharpened edge dually emitting a soft red glow. “What about healers?”

“The blade is coated in liquid obsidian. No amount of healing will fix the degradation. Your enemy if they should survive will have to train and build up their ki and experience the hard way with time and practice.”

Reiko nods keeping the blade. Two Onna-bugeisha bring out a small box. The wu-jen opens it finding various jewels and jewel powders inside. He bows to Reiko. “Thank you for being the most gracious of patrons.”

Reiko recognizes him with her own bow. He leaves the area. She goes back into the tent but not before she mentions to Miwa that she expects two more guests.

Miwa stands at attention and bows while Reiko goes back into her tent. After another hour of guard duty two people approach the tent. She knows exactly who they are. It is her own sister Izumi and her husband Sato Akio.

Miwa dashes into the ten to find Lady Wolf engaged with one of her students. She quickly goes back and tell the couple to wait. Some 20 minutes elapse until Reiko comes out in a kimono. She bows to Akio and waits. He recognizes her. Her attention focuses on Izumi while pulling out several scrolls of rice paper. Reiko reads several sections on several scrolls then centers again on the woman.

“Sato Izumi. You are Barasume Miwa’s sister?”

“I am lady Endo.”

The Lady Wolf reads several sections in several of the papers she has, “Your sister failed 3 of her tests at her trials. There also seems to be multiple combat tests added to her itinerary. Care to explain?”

“One the first day of her trials she failed the information gathering test marking her unfit for courtly duty. Father always treated her has his son being that he had none to care on his legacy. He put emphasis on her battle Technik rather than on her general competence. As far as the combat test our father boasted that Miwa would pick up any weapon and know its full use within minutes.”

“Is that true?”

“Look for yourself. Weigh her combat tests against her general tests.”

“Yet she failed two combat tests and only one general test. Care to explain?”

“As I have said. Our father wanted to have a son. Denied this with the death of our mother and distraught over it he was determined to have a legacy from that time forward he choose Miwa to be that legacy and brutally trained her for such. She is much better with male weapons than female because of that.”

“That explains her two failings in her test of both Naginata and Kaiken. Interesting.”

“Do not let my sister fool you. She is as good with a naginata as most Onna-bugeisha. During her testing she made a point to rebel against our father. She purposely threw her naginata test.”

“And what about her kaiken test?”

Izumi hesitates as she thinks of the repercussions of such a telling. Reiko waits knowing that Izumi is now faced with the problem of which is more important, family honor or clan honor. Something all noble women face when entering a different clan than their own. When Izumi speaks, she is measured a fact that Reiko notes but doesn’t fully understand. “As I have said Miwa was trained as a fighting samurai not an Onna-bugeisha. Therefore, her training was negligent on the finer points of a fighting woman’s role within a clan.”

Reiko shuffles her papers again and reads. After a time, she looks back at Izumi and nods, “From all the reports this seems so. Miwa has never used a naginata or kaiken in combat that has been recorded. Tell me about her relationship with her husband?”

“There was an incident a few years ago. Miwa killed one of her husband’s lovers she found in their bed claiming the right of Kiri-Sute Gomen. It was found out that on their honeymoon Miwa made Ryuu promise that even though he could have any woman that he would not have one in their bed. Miwa had rectitude. Still her Daimyo punished her, him and all involved.

As far as Miwa’s feelings for her husband what I said says it all. Ryuu is her sun and moon. She loves him without hesitation. She would do anything to love and protect him feeling herself unworthy of his love.”

“And what does Ryuu think?”

“Ryuu has ever been the samurai around me. Completely expressionless. I do not know what he thinks deep within his mind. I do know my sister and her passion to be a better person. She sees she may become that standing at Ryuu’s side. That is where her love for him ultimately stems.”

“Interesting.” Reiko shuffles more papers then asks, “You have three sisters in all. Miwa is married to Barasume Ryuu. You are married to Sato Akio. Sango is an acolyte in the priesthood of the 8 million but as of my report hasn’t specifically chosen a god. What of Haruki? It says here she never married and at her age it is unusual.”

Izumi looks down for a moment in shame. Reiko takes note of it but waits until the woman responds. “Father molded each one of us using……. extraordinary means. I was always the bride price. Father acquired much land from my marriage to expand his horse breeding enterprise. Miwa was always the warrior. He molded her week by week, year by year to be his legacy. Sango was always destined to the priesthood. She is the only one that escaped his torment.

You must understand lady Endo that our father was absolutely crushed by the death of our mother. I and Haruki still hold her memory. Miwa, Miwa only remembers her smile being 5 when she died. Sango doesn’t remember anything about her.

Haruki is the spitting image of our mother when she was young. She was meant and molded far differently than the rest of us.”

Reiko reals back at both the knowledge and implications of what Izumi just said. She needs to gather herself under control before speaking again. When she does, she asks, “Does Miwa know this?”

Izumi shakes her head, “Are you kidding me, Lady Endo? Why do you think Miwa failed her observation test? Father is a shrewd man he knew Miwa could take him out by the time she was 12. What if she knew. She would slaughter both him and Haruki for their lawlessness and at the time she was just as mean and evil as father. She is after all the Little Wolverine, even if Haruki was an innocent victim, which she was it wouldn’t matter to her. If I had said anything to Miwa it would be my head on a post either by our father or her. It would not have mattered at the time.”

Reiko thinks long and hard about all that she has heard before speaking. “You come from an old family descendent from the gods themselves. I will keep your secret and your shame to all but your sister. Know that if I see battle after this one against your father, I will seek him out. He will die an ignoble death.”

“A fitting end to the bastard that raised me.”

Reiko points to her guard currently inhabited by Miwa through dream. Miwa goes into the back of the tent and picks up a large box. She comes back out and hands it to the Onna-bugeisha. She takes it and offers it to Izumi’s husband. “This will pay all your debts including the widower Barasume Ryuu.”

Izumi’s eyes go wide, “NO! You can’t! My sister has changed. She is so much better now!” Her husband grabs her. “That will be enough wife. We are done here.”

Lady Wolf smiles, “War is war Izumi. You are clan Sato and you have done your duty. No one will know you are a traitor to your family. My word on it. Be at peace.”

Akio leads his wife away as she balls knowing what she has done. Sato smiles and goes back into her tent. Miwa bows as she does.

Miwa wakes up and cries her own tears. She goes up to her knees then bows down crying her heart out. The dragon opens its eye. It takes its claw and encompasses her. Picking her up it retracts it to his chest. There he cages Miwa against his chest for the night. She cries herself to sleep again. This time fate is kind. She has no more dreams this night.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa meditates most of the day. Her body had started to ache. She knew she should not push her physical limits until tomorrow. Today she will let her physical body rest and build strength as stretched muscle heals and rebuilds itself.

She does do some slow Kiko katas to help her concentrate throughout the day and tends to the Archeaox as best she can. He had showed something the night before. The first sign that he did not mind her around him. When the day is over, she heads back to sleep and her dreams.

Miwa comes into the tent in full armor like the others already there. She stands at her place along the table, flips a cup over and pours sake in it. The Fishes are on the other side and to the left of her. Daimyo Barasume stands at the head. While waiting for the others the two Fishes start up. “Hey It’s Little Wolverine. We heard your wife was in camp. Is he washing clothes or cooking your dinner?”

She is about to angerly retort to the two when Ryuu walks in. “Clothes are washed, and dinner is ready my Lady wife. Your husband is here. Don’t worry about the kabuki pair in the corner they are just jealous that their wives can’t hold a handstand while doing a full split.” He smiles at the pair.

This makes the Fishes erupt in surprise and laughter which spreads across the table. Little Fish picks it up, “Oh my, Miwa! You’re going to have to come over one night and teach Maki that trick.”

Big fish is right behind him. “Don’t forget about Umeko. What other tricks to you two have?”

Ryuu laughs, “We can’t be telling all our secrets now. Isn’t that right, Honey?”

By now Miwa’s face is as red as her armor. She just places her face in the palms of her hands and shakes her head. “I hate war camp.” Which makes everyone erupt with more laughter.

Kyo quiets them down, “Ok, Ok. Let us stop teasing one of our best fighters in the clan. My apologies Little Wolverine. Now that everyone is here this is the situation. We could not capture the high ground before Shogun Dosaki. He occupies it. We do have the south to our back so the sun will not be a problem.

We have the high hill to the west. It’s too rocky for calvary and too steep for footmen. Archers will have a hard time with their footing and moving around up there. So. it’s a barrier to both armies. We will be lined up on the bottom of the saddle here. He points to the map. It slopes gently up to the mountain and makes a turn east. After that to the east we have this 10 ft buttress and a large, forested knoll that rounds the bend with the saddle. The army will anchor at the saddle as Dosaki attacks we will defend. When the signal is given, we will advance from west to east. We will funnel them against the knoll and eventually surround them.

We are one of the larger clans in camp and Iwari has decided that we will be the anchor. We will take most of the fight as Dosaki realizes what we are doing and try to break through our lines at the anchor.

There are many murmurs around the table. Smoke Blade flatly states what everyone else is thinking. “Shogun Iwari is using the battle as an excuse to cut into Clan Barasume’s influence. He’s putting us to the fire, so we are too weak to challenge him for a decade.”

Kyo huffs, “That will be enough. We are a loyal clan to the shogun. I will hear no more of the future or of disloyalty to our shogun. The situation is what it is, and we all know what the politics of the situation are. We need to do our duty as officers of the shogun. Let’s set this up with the least amount of loss of life. Owl, what are your suggestions?

Ryuu considers the map intensely. “What will you be doing Ogano?”

The wu-jen replies. “I will be with the others of my talent counter spelling Dosaki’s wu-jen so that the battle may remain in marshal hands.”

Ryuu nods, “First things first. Big Fish’s troops should anchor the knoll. Heavy armor spear and wall shields. They should be lined 4 deep. Next to him should be Little Fish’s footmen, both are used to working together. We put Hammer’s men in medium armor as a reserve for the Fishes. They fill any gaps. Shadow Blade’s footmen move faster in a fight. We put them up against Little fish’s infantry.

In this way we might be able to cut off those forces against our own anchor like Iwari plans to do but remember we cannot break the line for the whole of the army. Next the them Badgers troops with Daisy’s women behind the two of them with naginatas as their reserve. We spread the archery sections out behind them with Kyo and his personal guard in the middle.

I will be on the knoll. I need to see the whole of the battle and flag signal any shifts as I see the battle progress. My wife, Little Wolverine will also be on the knoll. Some to rain archery down on the enemy troops. Also, to guard a flanking attack from over the knoll if it comes. These are our best units. The other units within the clan can intersperse, fill in gaps and be used as reinforcements when and where needed. I’ll signal them as I see the battle progress.”

Miwa suddenly and surprisingly protests, “My lord Daimyo. My husband, Owl, has not seen combat for almost 2 years. He will be exposed on that knoll and a ready target for enemy archers. Not only that, but he’ll also attract a flanking attack from the other side of the knoll. He’ll be a sitting duck.”

Ryuu stares at her disapprovingly. “You can’t do this Little Wolverine, or I would be back with our lord as an observer. Good as you are my dear at tactics your overall strategy for battle is below par. I’m one of the only ones here that can do this job.”

“You need more protection. Kyo give my husband a few of your personal guard. It is one of the most important positions on the battlefield.”

The others go silent as husband and wife face one another. Kyo watches quietly to see what happens.

Ryuu’s voice goes deeper in anger, “We all face death in every battle we fight, Miwa. My life is no more than yours in this field. I have all the protection I need. The best damn Onni-Bugeisha this side of the main island. You’ll protect me. Split your women half to harass the enemy from above and half to be ready to defend the knoll.”

“He needs you more than me. I’m just a fighter. You’re the brain of this clan, Ryuu. Send someone else. I………She drops her voice and goes silent.”

Kyo holds his hand up and quietly speaks. “That will be enough you two. This is war. We are all Samurai and Onna-bugeisha. I understand that I had to take both of you this time. I should not have but I have need of both. You going to have to deal with this Little Wolverine. Owl is your man. Defend him like you never defended anything before. Owl your battle plan is sound and is granted. It is what we will do. Now go to your various people and explain it to them. Owl, I need 15 minutes.”

“Hai, my Daimyo.”

Miwa walks out without even a bow and navigates the camp to find her squad that now numbers 24 besides herself. As she walks into camp Silkworm and Spirit Wake gathers the others up. Miwa sits down enough away from the campfire to draw out the lines. She makes the hill to the west the saddle and the knoll to the east.

She looks at them all then at the map. “The line will be in the shallow end of the saddle. Not a good position. Barasume will be the eastern anchor. As Shogun Dosaki’s troops attack they will try to go through Barasume because we are at the lowest point. Our western flank will start to push to entrap them against the knoll.

The fish’s heavy infantry will hold the ground just at the knoll. We will be on top of the hill. Half our squad will protect the infantry with archery. The other half will watch the eastern side of the knoll for any flanking action. This is our job. Ryuu will also be on the knoll to signal to both Lord Barasume and Shogun Iwari changes in action. I will protect him. Silkworm, Spirit Wake, you will have to have full command and notify me of any action or changes as they come.”

Silkworm grimly responds, “Let Spirit Wake or I protect Ryuu, Wolverine. You will be too emotionally involved and besides that we need our commander to be in charge. Take the place of the one that commands the flanking action. Your clear thinking under combat will help if there is trouble.”

“He is my husband, Silkworm. Put yourself in my position.”

Silkworm doesn’t know what to say. She knows how much Miwa loves Ryuu. She takes a step back and simply bows in acceptance. Miwa looks to Spirit Wake.

Spirit Wake sighs, “I have more sharpshooters than Silkworm. She has more melee Onna-bugeisha. I will take the ridge of the knoll. Silkworm should take watch for flankers.”

Miwa puts her head down and thinks for a long time. When she raises her head again Silkworm gives her the nod making it easier. “So be it. Spirit Wake takes on the army to help the Fishes’ infantry. Silkworm sets up a defensive position in case of flankers. I guard my husband. I will need a wall shield and a naginata.”

Several women offer her the items being they know she was mostly trained on katana and uses it as her main weapon. The group breaks up and Miwa goes back to her tent. When she gets there Ryuu is not there.

Miwa lights the campfire outside their tent and waits. She makes tea and sits down on a makeshift bench waiting for Ryuu to return. At midnight she hears a voice behind her. “May I enjoy some tea with you, Little Wolverine?”

Miwa jumps up and bows. “Certainly, My Daimyo.”

“It is not a time for honorifics, Miwa. You are welcome to call me Uncle or Kyo tonight. We go into the biggest battle of our lives, and we all are family here.”

“Forgive me.” Miwa takes the tea pot off the grill and pours tea for both him and her. She then settles down on the bench beside Kyo sipping her tea.

“Miwa. We need to talk about your forwardness. You embarrassed your husband to the whole of my war council. I know you hold truthfulness high on the principles of bushido but………. How should I say this? Only a sadistic scoundrel or a fool tells the bald truth on social occasions. Sometimes Miwa, you play the fool when speaking to people by telling the bald truth.

Politics is sensitive: Even between man and wife. You are 19 now and need to start to think about these things. You are a servant of the people and therefore politics will ever shape your life. As you age you will start to understand this. I admire your commitment to the code. I understand the necessity of why you do what you do and speak the way you do. It is in the right, but it is also in the wrong.”

“I don’t understand, Uncle?”

“In time you will. Sometimes only age and having your nose rubbed ‘in reality’ works for someone to understand the deeper things. If I were you, I would apologize to your husband when he comes back. You may be in the right, but he may not think so.”

“Where in the hells is he anyway? It is near midnight.”

Kyo chuckles, “He went off with the Fishes to work on details of the battle plans.”

“You mean he has gone off to get drunk and let loose.”

He pats her on the knee. “It’s the night before battle, Miwa. Everyone has to let off the adrenaline rush. I will leave you now. Thank you for the tea and the talk.” Kyo gets up. Miwa does in kind and bows. He recognizes her. “Be at peace, Little Wolverine. All will work out in the end. I trust in your battle skills to protect him.”

“I will do my duty, Lord Daimyo. Be at peace.”

With that Kyo walks off to the next on his list. Miwa waits another hour.

Ryuu stumbles into the inner circle of clan Barasume at about 1 am. Miwa crosses her arms. “Are you drunk?”

“Umm? I’m perfectly fine and wish to comfort my wife before I die in this battle.”

“First, I want to apologize to you. I offended you at the war council. I am sorry. Second if you think your going to touch me all dirty and in this state I refuse. I will take care of you after you go to the camp baths and clean yourself up. If you pass out before so, be it. Furthermore, I don’t want to be itchy tomorrow so I will take care of you but only so far. Go to the baths. If you make it back, I will be here for you.”

“I’ll take that as a yes………umm where are the baths? I forgot.”

Miwa points in a direction.

“Right! I’ll be right back.”

Ryuu comes back in a ½ an hour somewhat clean but still smelling of alcohol. Miwa takes care of him, and he falls right to sleep. It is one of the few times in her life that she needs to spoon him instead of the reverse. She falls asleep worried about the next day. The battle and what it will bring.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa goes to her makeshift home in the Jungle. She is still ticked off at Sniffles for attacking her when she came to check on her. She has now lived with him for several months, fed him, even saved him from being taken to Koryo as a deterrent against her lord’s aspirations.

She opens her journal.

I was out 4 days in public doing realistic training. Many things happened. Some warmed my heart. Others left me questioning.

The first thing to happen was that there was a general invitation to meet with a Feywood ranger to see what their life was like. It was a woman. We met at the camp just outside the outpost. There were several people there including the horse thieving elf by the name of Legebriewyn. He was not pleased that I was there, and I did not tell him of my promotion. He openly scoffed at me. The Elven ranger girl had words for him. Again, I find that this horse thief and general ne’er-do-well is not liked by even his own people very much.

The ranger walked us through her days on patrol and what she looked for. We walked through the Weald and to the broken wall. The ranger gave a grand story of how the wall held a good long time before being breached by the elves’ enemies in a far-off war of the past. While we were there some noticed tracks of a huge creature jumping over the canyons of the weald and over a place near the wall. It was a large embankment. The Ranger said that if we scaled the cliff, we would find a more secluded part of the forest where almost no one goes too.

I worried that Sniffles may have been roaming for game but because I cannot really identify tracks I would not tell. I hope not. Later I went back to the jungle. My signs were again torn down by something. As I started to fix them Sniffles began eating them. I tried to chastise him with words, being somewhat angry that he was eating the very things I am trying to protect him with. Then he tried to get into a fight with me.

I backed up not wanting to hurt him seriously and having no means to correct him I kept at it sometimes with a calm voice, other times harsher. In a last-ditch effort, I tried to intimidate him. I think everything in the jungle ran away from me except for him. We are going to have to come to a meeting of the minds here. I have lived with him for months and he knows my smell. I have a plan though. I believe there is a peaceful female in the jungle. Probably his mate. I’ll collect a bucket of her pee and if he tries it again, I’ll throw the pee in his face. “There you go Sniffles! Now your false advertising! Enjoy your mating ball!”

It may even make him smell better.

The next day I had heard about people from Hamley losing their shadows. I went up to investigate. And found a few members of that desert expedition in town. Several people again showed up including Lucille, Drastas lady and a mercenary named Tate that I have good relations with. Everyone packed up and went to the desert wastes headed for the headquarters of the knights that were exploring ruins that had something to do with the local god’s brother god.

As they went into the wastes the group encountered many of the giant beetles of the area. These beetles have been infused with elemental energy and are dangerous opponents. They almost killed me, however I managed to survive their onslaught. The problem came when some form of giant sand worm showed up. I bandaged myself up as best I could knowing that my regenerative capabilities would slowly heal my wounds. I used a bow at first on it then tried to attack it directly.

That was a mistake. I had to retreat and regather for my next course of action. It followed me. I did not have time to do much. In an instant it swallowed both me and Sakura whole. It spit me out but not Sakura. I woke up surrounded by healers and clerics in the camp infirmary. That is where I found out something. The shadow worm had stolen my shadow too. So now Drasta, Sollis Lot, Tate and many others have no shadow. It does not feel any different but strange. Even today I wave my hand sometimes where my shadow should be wondering where it went.

We then explored the expedition’s dig there was much mention of this brother god of Andrius. As we came to the newest dig site the commander of the expedition was there. He seemed to be consumed by shadow and attacked us. For a moment we hesitated. It was also a mistake. Though some got hurt we finally went into action and killed the man who had become out of his mind, crazy. Sollis wept a tear for him. I understand losing a companion. And though I stayed silent I felt empathy for the paladin.

There was a fire near. It was sputtering and holding back the void of shadow. I don’t know what to call it other than that. We stoked the fire and broke up a cart to feed it. The fire hungerly ate the wood faster than would seem normal. Meanwhile Lucille and a few others started to dig near an obelisk that seemed to mark an entrance to the ruin. We heard chittering and saw some kind of cross between giant ant and human in the hole we were excavating.

There was a rumble and two dozen or more of these creatures rushed out and attacked us. Maybe soldiers of some form of colony. We defeated them then backed away from the site. We decided to regroup later. Perhaps there will be a way to get my shadow back once this is all over.

It’s getting late and I have not written any of the letters that I need to. I will have to do so tomorrow. I will also write about my meeting of a giant bird of paradise called a phoenix that can assume human form and my time with Jenik: A young man that wants to become a knight that Trevelyan and I saved from an evil stepmother.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

This Morning Miwa goes through her morning routine of cleaning Sniffles nest out. Today she keeps one hand on her sword while doing it. Every time the archeaox attention turns to her she draws her blade and threatens the beast. She is at her limit with it and now has several plans to subdue it in case what happened last week happens again. One literally being shoving a 10 ft tender oar straight up its ass. She is determined to either make an agreement with this beast eventually using a ranger or druid worth their salt to be able to communicate with it or take the drastic action of subduing it herself.

She would rather the former but if things come to a head, she keeps formulating plans to bind it to her the hard way. Thankfully the dragon seems to ignore her for the most part this day. After she is done with her chores to take care of him, she works on her routines again keeping her eye on the moody beast. When she is finally exhausted, she climbs back into her nest and opens her journal.

I received several Imperial and clan letters about my apprentice so to speak Seiji. I have opened the one sent to me and have read it. From there I ordered him to be at the Trade and Tackle along with inviting near by marshal heads of surrounding city states, friends and any Kozakurian I know. Seiji will be welcomed back to the ranks of samurai within clan Barasume. I have not opened any other of the letters being they are addressed to him.

In the invitation I got my chance to passively call out the council of Steinkeis for being cowards diplomatically. Well, I believe it was as diplomatic as I could say. I did not specifically mention them or their perverse paranoia. We will see who comes. Those who do may be able to benefit from a relationship with the Kozakurian empire. We’ll see.

I lost Sakura and when coming back to the desert I went to the Hamley stables thinking that better horses could be had there instead of Steinkeis being that Hamley has a good horse breeding program. I got my pick of several different breeds. I picked out a walnut male of a new breed being that I am testing different ones for the best overall. I am not impressed by the Percherons; I am impressed with the Andalusians. This one is called a Holsteiner. It stands at 16 ¾ hands and weights near 1400 pds. It’s not as stocky as a Percheron but is built more for speed and can still carry much more equipment than the Andalusian.

I was going to call him Seika (fire) because like most men he is generally lazy and often drags his feet sometimes causing his shoes to spark of the ground that could start a fire around dry grass. However, when he gets going, he really gets going. He is one of the fastest horses I have ever been on. So, I have renamed him Arashi (Storm).

After purchasing him I went down to the crossroads. There was a lady in red there I had met once in passing, Lindsey. She seems to be a diplomat of some sort. She is always formal and poised. Always offering support to those around her. It makes me slightly suspicious of her.

While we were discussing a strange giant jungle bird appeared. It had the coloration of a parrot or bird of paradise with all sorts of colors, but it was the size of an eagle. I had never seen anything quite like it.
It hovered over the cliff face looking at my new horse Arashi. I tried to shoo it away, but it came down the cliff. Then the oddest thing happened. It spoke to me directly in my mind.

It told me It did not want to eat my horse, but it was intrigued by the conversation the two of us were speaking about. It found both Lindsey and me impressive specimens. It also said it lived in an opera house. I wonder if it is the opera house of Steinkeis. We talked to it at length on various subjects and it gave me a feather to remember him by and he gave Lindsey a potion.

And then again something very strange happened. He turned into a man. Not only a man but a Koryo man. This made me confused. Kozakurians and Koryoans are often deadly enemies. I asked him why someone from Koryo would gift a Kozakurian anything. He said that he was assuming the form of his old teacher who was Koryoan. I had to accept that. We talked again at some length. He again gifted each of us a small item. Then he walked into the flame and turned back into a bird flying off.

Lindsey mentioned that he was a creature called a phoenix and that they are a good omen. I was happy to have the reserve to both open my mind to him and get the chance to speak with him.

After being in public a full two days and adventuring I had not seen Trevelyan. He’s a good man and very tall. I decided to see Jenik without him. I went to the church. I still do not like the fact that these Flames may be around trying to influence him. They told me he was at the practice field. I bowed and went there behind the Blackmere district.

I found him working up an early morning sweat practicing on a combat dummy. He greeted me and I recognized him. Then asked him if he had ridden a horse yet. He told me no. So, I told him that every knight needs to be able to handle a horse and asked if he would like to ride Arashi.

He got all excited. Arashi is a very big horse, so I had to make him crunch down a bit on his front legs. We still had a bit of time getting Jenik up on the saddle, but we did. I asked him how he felt. He told me he felt so big, and he could see everything now. I laughed. I just cant be the stoic Onna-bugeisha I am supposed to assume when around the boy. He brings some joy to my life knowing he has a purpose and wants to be like Trevelyan and myself. I feel like for the first time in many years I can just be a normal person.

After he was settled in the saddle, I went to the side of Arashi and slipped my fingers in his bit ring so that I may lead the two of them around the tourney field. We walked down the hill very slowly. I kept watch on Jenik at first to make sure he would not fall off. When we came to level ground, I asked how his studies were going and what they were.

He told me that he was mostly studying letters and numbers and that it was very boring. So, I told him that I also thought they were very boring, but they are important. I told him first about numbers. I said if you know your numbers you can keep track of your coin. That it was very important so that you don’t end up a poor knight always trying to squeeze coin to get proper equipment. A knight that can keep track of his coin never has to worry about working hard to get their next piece of equipment or deal with the problems of making sure his family and mount will survive the winter.

Then I told him about letters. I told him a Knight that knows his letters well will be trusted more by those above him. Writing is really an amazing skill and the better you can write the better everyone will think of you and trust you with other things.

With these two things you will never need to worry about the little things in life and you will get the opportunity to help more people through quick promotion because people will admire your steady hand at handling both coin and writing to people like reports and such.

He thought about it for a good long time then vowed that he would work as hard as he could to study his letters and numbers. It made my heart warm that it was so easy to have him willing to listen to what I said.

I then turned the conversation. I told him that when we first met, I noticed that he really hates liars. Jenik confirmed it both emotionally and with a nod. I smiled back at him. I told him I don’t like liars either, especially knights that lie to me. Commoners have much fear in their hearts and sometimes you must understand where they come from, but knights take vows and should keep them. Truthfulness is part of my own code. Then I said, “What if someone lies and thinks they are telling the truth?”

He down at me quizzically so I gave him an example. I told him that before I came to the west, I saw a friend. They told me that in the west you cannot tell people apart because they all had these strange big round eyes. And if someone had asked me what the people in the west were like at the time, I would have said the same thing because I trusted my friend. Then I went to the west, and you know what I found out?

I looked up at him and he shook his head, so I continued. “Well, I found out you could tell westerners apart because they all have different beard styles.” I looked up to see if I had gotten a laugh out of him for the joke. I think it went over his head. I do think that the point got through that sometimes someone will lie and think it is the truth.

We walked a bit after that before I posed the next problem for him. I told him that even though I am not supposed to lie I have lied to one person several times. I looked up and he had surprise in his eyes, so I told him why.

You see when two knights are married each often have separate duties and are away from each other when they work. Sometimes one or even both have a bad day. Some days I would come home, or he would come home, and I would see that he had a very hard day while I also had a very hard day. So, when he would ask at those times, “How was your day?” I would say it was wonderful.

Jenik thought that was stupid and asked why I would do such a thing.

I told him truthfully that at the time I thought that before a husband and wife discussed there problems for the day, they should have harmony between them. At the time I would always make sure my Ryuu was of a calm mind and at ease before I explained to him my own problems. Sometimes I would make sure that he was ready by talking to me about his before I would tell him about mine. You see unless there is harmony between the two of you the things that you may need to talk about might flare up misunderstandings. So, I always tried to wait and sometimes lied to him about my day so we could be at peace in the home before talking about problems. Would I do that today. I am not sure.

Jenik seemed to mull my answer over a very long time. Things got quiet for a time while I lead him around the field. He then asked about my code. I told him of the 8 principles of bushido. He thought those were good rules to live by.

Here is where I challenged him again. I told him that really no-one can truly live up to the code because no one is perfect. The code is there for one to aspire. To do better at it as they get older. Consider what I told you about my code. Everyone finds fear from time to time. Everyone lies from time to time even if it’s only to themselves, No one can be completely just all throughout their lives.

The code is there for you to work toward perfection even though you never achieve it. As long as you are walking the path to get better in the code and have a deeper understanding of it you are doing the right thing.

Again, Jenik thought long and hard on that. As evening came, I told him how samurai all have six names and explained it to him. I told him very few people have all of a samurai’s name. Jenik asked why. So, I told him its for many things but mainly protection of the samurai and their family or clan. Sometimes samurai have to do things undercover or in war so that if someone had their full name they could find out everything about them and counter some actions in battle whether on the field or in court.

Jenik also gave that a lot of thought. I then gave him my full name which includes all six and their meanings. He didn’t say anything and may not know I consider the young man family, or he may have deduced it. I am not sure. But he is the only one here now that knows all of my names. I am proud of him already.

I am also sorry. He was on Arashi almost all day. His legs may be sore for a week. I let the time slip by but at the time he was having so much fun on top of that horse. I finally took them back to the top of the hill and got Arashi to bow down again. Jenik did a fairly good dismount. I was impressed.

We said our good-byes and I told him I would return as soon as I could. He mentioned he might become a squire in a year. I smiled and said I would come to his ceremony. Magistrate Elvalith showed up. Jenik asked who she was? I told her and said she was a friend of mine. I told him she was very wise and learned and if he asked nicely maybe she will tutor him on his harder subjects.

He was quite shy about it at first but summed up his courage to ask. She told him she would be honored. Again, we said goodbye again and Jenik ran back to the church. I spoke with Elvalith for a time, and we separated. It will always be in my memory that this was one of the best days I have had in my time with the western people. I cannot wait to visit him again.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

In the Kozakurian culture, there is a saying, "Kin wa kanzen ni moeru" which translates to "true gold drowns in fire." This means that something of true value will withstand adversity and hardship, just like gold that remains unscathed even when exposed to extreme heat.

Similarly, the samurai spirit embodies the idea that a warrior is not afraid of sacrifice. For samurai, death in battle was not something to be feared, but rather something to be embraced if it meant fulfilling their duty and honor. To them, the ultimate sacrifice was a noble and honorable act.

The samurai code of bushido, or "the way of the warrior," emphasizes the importance of courage, loyalty, and self-discipline. A samurai's loyalty to their lord and their duty was paramount, and they were willing to lay down their lives to defend it.

In battles, samurai would often face overwhelming odds and fight against powerful foes. However, they would never back down or surrender. Instead, they would remain steadfast and fight until the very end, knowing that their sacrifice would contribute to the greater good.

Miwa’s squad takes up their position on the gnoll with Ryuu beside her. She turns and looks at them. “We will be in a tough position. As soon as the clans of Shogun Dosaki figure out we are up here they will return fire.

Spirit Wake I want your squad to shoot no more that 2 or 3 arrows then take cover in the trees. Change position and come out shooting again. It will not only make you harder to pick up as a threat it will help us avoid any unnecessary losses. Hold at least 5 seconds under the tree cover before moving out again and striking.”

Miwa pauses a second putting her eyes to the ground then looks up at Silkworm. Silkworm laughs, “It’s been an honor to be your second, but we will make it through it. If we do promise me one thing, Little wolverine.”

“What is it?”

“After the battle is over, I want to finally entertain you.”

“You know how I feel about that, Silkworm. I have Ryuu.”

“I need something to fight for, Miwa. Please.”

“Fight for your husband and child.”

“You know my husband he’s just past 50 and has his problems. Miwa, I need this.”

Miwa sighs. “Alright! I need you to spread out on the other side of the gnoll in pairs. Watch for any attack. Set up any defensive positions you may. Brush, fallen logs, rocks, whatever you can find. Spirit Wake if Silkworm is attacked, she will send someone to me. I’ll signal you to support her Remember Ryuu is ultimately the one we are protecting and hitting the enemy across the saddle is secondary.”

The two squad leaders bow and the group separates. Miwa turns Wasabi around to see Ryuu with a surprised grin on his face. Miwa grimaces, “I already know what you’re thinking, and No You will not!”

He pouts, “What about your tall, dark and handsome husband?”

“Men are such beasts.”

They set their horses into a trot to the highest part of the gnoll. Ryuu makes several wolf howls and some monkey sounds. Miwa looks at him and back to where they are going, “I hate war camp!”

Ryuu reaches over and hugs her with one arm: their horses’ side by side as close as possible. “Do not worry my beautiful wife. I’ll keep all your dirty little secrets till death do us part my Midnight Bloom.” He then kisses her on the cheek.

She shows a rare smile, “You better. And you better stay alive, Gallant. You keep me sane and happy.”

“I have my Little Wolverine to defend me.”

They stop. Ryuu dismounts. He takes out several bamboo poles each having a different colored flag out. He takes the clan flag and places the end into the ground and lays out the others in arrangement to the ones he will think he needs most to least. Miwa dismounts and takes several weapons out of sheaths including a Yumi, naginata and two wall shields. She surveys the areas and places them where she feel she will need them. That done she arms herself with the naginata and one of the shields. After they are finished Ryuu leads the horses into the trees for cover and comes back. Miwa is already facing the saddle at the ready. Ryuu smiles and shakes his head thinking, ‘What a miracle that of all people I would have a woman such at this that would defend her husband to the death.’

War horns sound, Drums beat and flags wave. Miwa watches the battle from her perch. Ryuu watches very carefully after the initial clash he goes over to the flags and raises two. A blue to his right and a red to his left. He counts and sets them down again. A rain of arrows hit the enemy on the west side of the saddle. There is a pause, and the enemy retreats a hundred yards to regroup. “They tried to hit the west side first. I anticipated that.”

“No one seems to have seen you. No arrows came our way.”

“That’s because of where we are, Miwa where is our position in regard to the enemy?”

“I saw the map we’re in the south.”

“Wrong we are at the eastern end of the formation, so we are to the south-east.”

Miwa thinks about it. “Sun is in their eyes. That’s why they can’t see us.”

“A small reprieve, wife. We only have a 1/2 or ¾ of an hour before they will be able to see us.”

“Brilliant.”

“Why thank you.” Ryuu smiles.

There’s a small scuffle on the field while the enemy army is retreating. Some of their people are forward retrieving or trying to take bodies for heads. A few more of each side go down but so far, the damage to each side is minimal. A few dozen are dead, the least of which is Barasume to Miwa’s counting.

On the next charge Dosaki’s troops try to hit the middle now they are within Miwa’s girls’ ranges. She sees a dozen arrows fly off from her left into the ranks of the wedge formation Once, twice, three times then nothing. Ryuu waves one flag this time. The reserves of the clans in the center of the formation run forward shouting war cries or the names of their ancestors. The middle thickens and Ryuu puts the flags down. Miwa suddenly screams “Down!”

Ryuu goes to his belly. Miwa stands over him and raises her shield. Arrows hit the ground all around them. “Crawl Back 10 Paces!” Ryuu low crawls deeper into the gnoll while Miwa walks with her feet straddling his head shield up. More arrows come but they don’t come close this time. Ryuu laughs, “I’ll leave the tactical to you, my love.”

“Shut up and let me concentrate.”

“Aye my warrior, love.”

“Sigh!”

Miwa decides its safe and brings her shield down snapping off two arrow shafts stuck in her shield. As she does, she sees two dozen more arrows fly in succession. “They know we are here now. They will be coming.”

Ryuu stands and surveys the field. There are about 5 dozen enemy down and a dozen of their troops. Many have arrow shafts in their bodies and through their kabutoes. Ryuu comments. I had never thought they would be that damn good!”

“It’s not all our arrows, honey but we took our share.”

The enemy retreats again. Miwa hears two horns from the side and in back. She listens to the cadence and knows she still has her full contingent.

“They’ll go for the inside now. Which means Silkworm will see action.”

Miwa thinks. “Signal a wu-jen to lay a smoke cloud down. Something the enemy wu-jen won’t think to counter.”

Ryuu looks surprised, “All those early morning practices in the fog?”

Miwa looking out onto the field just nods.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa tries to work with Sniffles and gets nowhere. She sighs and finishes up her exercises. When she is finished, she sits down to her journal.

I was in public for three days. Much happened. I received many letters and decrees from Kozakura. Some of them imperial letters, others clan letters. Seiji had redeemed himself in the eyes of both the Shogun and Emperor. There were scrolls I was to present to him depending upon the choices made to him.

As my first official duty as Envoy, I held a re-knighting ceremony for him. It was not a big affair and not many came. Tale was there, Fizt Fetter (A warrior I had only just met) along with Seiji, Hanzo and Drasta. It was quiet. There was someone else there, but the man left shortly after the ceremony started.

After I knighted him a samurai in the name of the Emperor, Seiji was given a choice. He could stay here and become my second and council or he could go back home and become a trade expert in the Barasume clan. He chose to stay by my side. I am humbled by his decision.

We ended the ceremony. Food and drink were served at the emperor’s expense. The few of us that stayed talked the night away. It was a good night.

Other things that happened while I was in town. One of them was very disturbing. I was sitting with a few people at the crossroads. When all the sudden a darkness appeared on the hill. Both Drasta’s and my own shadows appeared and attacked us. I was not in armor. I engaged my shadow, however not being in armor I was at a huge disadvantage. I had to break off my attacks. That is when my shadow-self killed my new warhorse! I had only had Storm for a week. So goes my luck with horses here.

I picked up a few bounties and did them. Helped some others with theirs. I have enough coins to last me a lifetime now. It will make for an easier life when I will once again marry. Nazari and her man were at the crossroads at one time. I was explaining to them about the tablets and the paths a bit. I made a grave mistake and was lucky no one got hurt. Her man asked to see what the paths brought so I gathered the eather and used my shield. They were both surprised and quite disgruntled by the sheer power of it all. I would have been too but was too tired to properly apologize. They left in a huff. Later they came back and, seeing the state I was in, forgave me. I am glad about that. I had misjudged the proximity of my shield and they were too close. I will be more careful about using this power in the future.

I can see by my writing that I am still very tired. With all the work I have been doing it is no wonder. So, I will put this down and get some shut eye. I dread what is to come but eventually it will. My last battle at the gnoll, a terrible day that is burned in my mind along with the days just after and before the funeral.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa begins to hear the clank of weapon on weapon and weapon on armor behind her. She turns around to see a thick mist at the beginning at the tree line and blocking her sight to the other side of the knoll. She looks back at her husband, “Ryuu, Signal for reinforcements and put down your flag. If they break through the girls, it is only us left to stop them.”

Ryuu raises a flag and waves it around. Arrows again start to fly in. Miwa jumps in front of him, but he still takes an arrow. It goes through his forearm cleanly but snaps the small bone. Luckily, it’s his left arm. Miwa quickly gets out a bandage and wraps his arm quickly tying it off to stop the blood. “Can you still fight?”

“Well, I can't use my wakizashi or a wall shield, but I can still use my katana.”

“We’ll move closer to the tree line out of range, but I want you to stay back some so if anything comes, I present myself as the target. You are wounded. Only come in when they are fighting me and hit the flank men.”

The pair start to hear the wounded, dead and dying in the woods. Miwa concentrates but cannot make out any familiar voice. She looks to the southwest to see if reinforcements are starting to show up. None have yet. The battle in the woods from the sounds lasts twenty minutes or so then all goes quiet. Ryuu turns his head toward the main battle. “Looks like we are winning. It’s slow but the west is starting to encircle the enemy.”

Miwa nods and keeps her eyes on the tree line both front and down the front sides for any movement. Silkworm comes out on the south side dragging Mouse who is sorely wounded. She frantically signals Miwa. She turns her head to the north as six Sato samurai break through and run towards them with war cries and songs of their ancestors. Miwa breaks into a run picking up her naginata to engage them. Instead of coming right at her to attack they try to move around her. She realizes Ryuu is their target. She drops the naginata and runs to him drawing her katana and wakizashi.

She parries the first two kicking out and tripping one the other shield blocks her body into Ryuu. As she bumps into Ryuu, she spins to take on the 3rd while Ryuu engages the 4th. Miwa sees there are just to many She takes a cut under the arm and sees Silkworm struggling to get to her on time but she’s limping her way there. Miwa throws herself to Ryuu’s back blocking one of them with her body and plunging her Wakizashi deep between another’s ribs.

“OH! MY!”

Miwa’s face goes pale as she sees one of the others has his sword through Ryuu’s body at the liver. She spins again throwing down her Wakizashi and drawing the blade out of his body. Now with two katanas she becomes enraged. Her fury is almost unstoppable. She blacks out for the few minutes it takes in a blind fighting rage to become what her father wanted. The viciousness of her attacks stuns the five left. She takes several deep cuts to the back and thighs without even noticing. In thirty seconds, she has three down and the other two run for their lives. They find Silkworm waiting for them. Silkworm manages to dispatch one but takes another grave wound to the shoulder. It looks like her collar bone is broken the way her arm twitched when the other struck it. She goes down with her dead opponent.

Miwa doesn’t even stop to take heads. She rushes to Ryuu. She goes to her knees and tries to stop the dark blood. Miwa starts to cry. “I can't stop it! Please 8 million help me stop it.!”

Ryuu winces and smiles, “Maybe the battle will be over in time. After all I am the luckiest man in the world to find my Onna-bugeisha.”

“Stop talking Ryuu and help me!”

“It’s getting cold Midnight Bloom.”

Miwa tries to bandage him, but the blood only soaks through and starts running down to his groin area. Ryuu looks up and bumps his wife’s hand. “We have company.”

Miwa looks up and sees a single Onna-bugeisha 20 feet away holding a naginata. The edge of the weapon looks blackened. “I wish I had that kind of love with my husband. You’ll join him soon Little Wolverine. I would not want to make such sorrows of true love parting.”

Miwa searches for where she has heard that voice and questioningly asks, “Endo?”

“Ah, you remember. Do you know Miwa what happens when a wolf meets a wolverine?”

Miwa just looks at her. Lady Wolf continues, “It is only the wolf that walks away.”

Miwa looks at Ryuu, “Be quick my little wolverine. I’ll try to stay awake.”

She picks up her katana and draws her husband’s blade from underneath him. “I promise, my love.”

She stands and faces Lady Wolf. Endo takes her helm off and throws it to the side. “Fair is fair after all. I’m glad you survived my crew. You’ll be my last prize. Are you tired, Little Wolverine? It must have been a hell of a battle.”

“You? You planned this!?”

“Ah yes. If you want to kill the body, you must first take the head. When I’m finished, I’ll search out your father for his misdeeds. But first there is you. You’re now the real threat. You are in a way the head. He is but an old body ready to die.”

Miwa takes up an iaido guard position. “I don’t understand. My father is no threat to anyone now.”

“No one except your sister Haruki. Isn’t that right Miwa.”

“She stayed to take care of him in his retirement.”

Endo starts to circle Miwa looking for an opening. She seems amused as if she’s waiting for Miwa who is a guard stance. “Ah yes, denial. All those days your father went into your sister’s room to help her study. Isn’t that what he told you?

Do you know what Izumi told me? Do you?

Miwa starts to get angry. “My sister would tell you nothing of our family!”

Endo laughs and keeps circling, “Oh and what of all her debtors were paid off on all that coin she borrowed including you and your husband. She told me Miwa. She told me! That Haruki is the spitting image of your mother!” Endo laughs again.

Endo keeps laughing as she sees the rage build up in Miwa’s eyes, “YOU LIE!” Miwa attacks her.

Miwa goes on a blistering two katana attack. Endo just manages to block both blades with her naginata and lands a lancing deep blow across her cheek curving toward her nose and splitting her lids almost down the middle. Blood races from Miwa’s wound.

Miwa spins past her and stops. She wipes the blood away and looks at Endo. “That didn’t feel right! It feels cold!”

Lady Wolf smiles, “Obsidian soul venom. It’s time to end this.” Endo rushes Miwa.

The two engage and break off from each other over a dozen times each striking, blocking and counterstriking. Neither can fully get past the others guard completely and each take flesh cuts about the face arms and legs but as Lady Wolf seems to get stronger Miwa steadily weakens as her ki is drained with each cut of Endo’s blade.

Miwa knows she is losing and needs to rid her rival of this weapon before she is useless in combat and Lady Wolf can take her head. In the last past Miwa performs a move her father taught her when she was very young. Miwa comes in and shifts her position right when Endo goes to strike. She puts one blade behind the naginata and with the other strikes out with all her might. Both her left-handed katana and the naginata go flying and Miwa manages somehow to cut Endo’s left hand off at the wrist. Endo does a forward roll to get out of the way of Miwa’s katana for a back handed slash. Miwa misses as the blade wavers.

Endo takes out a bandage and wraps her stump. Miwa honorably decides to wait. Once Endo is done, she draws her kaiken. Miwa buries the tip of her blade in the ground and draws out her own Kaiken. “Fair is Fair after all.”

Endo laughs, “I can’t believe you’re willing to knife fight me when you failed your tests. You have balls Little Wolverine. I scored flawless on my knife testing; but then again, I know Izumi held something back. Did you purposely throw your knife matches too?”

Miwa says nothing but smiles. Endo doesn’t know what to think other than Miwa is going into a rage again: A killing rage of bloodlust. Miwa comes in. Lady wolf readies her defense. Miwa slides to her knees and brings her knife straight up aiming between them.

Surprised and appalled now knowing her mistake Endo swings her legs crosswise trying to disarm Miwa with her thighs. Miwa swings her body with Endo’s legs catching her across the back of the knee with her blade cutting the tendons and making Endo fall to her knee. Lady Wolf isn’t ready to give up, yet she brings her arm down to stab Miwa in the head or shoulder.

Miwa anticipates the strike sending her forearm out and against the blade knocking it away from her vitals but taking a deep laceration. They continue the fight on the ground. Each taking cuts but even though Miwa is drained she now has the advantage of two hands.

The two women roll along the ground fighting finally Miwa grabs Endo’s hair and buries her kaiken all the way to the hilt in her liver. Her victory is short lived; suddenly she cannot breathe and falls on her side as Endo screams out in pain. They sit there face to face: Endo with Miwa’s Kaiken in her liver and half her hair removed. Miwa wheezing with Endo’s Kaiken buried in her lung.

Miwa looks in Ryuu’s direction. He seems to be laying down watching the fight holding his wound, but his eyes are not blinking. Miwa tries to talk and starts to crawl to him as the horns sing drawing the close to the battle all she can do is wheeze.

Endo looks to Ryuu and reaches out grabbing Miwa’s arm to stop her. “He’s dead Little Wolverine. There is nothing you can do for him. Lie still. You might make it. You are a worthy enemy for my blade.”

Someone turns Miwa on her back. She feels her chest armor being taken off but cannot focus for a moment the pain so great. When she does, she sees Silkworm crawled over to her, and is applying a bandage that’s laced with silk webbing on one side around the knife wound. She wraps the bandage around the knife. She then pulls the kaiken out of her and presses down hard with the bandage. Miwa’s world goes dark.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa feels eyes watching her all day. She does her daily routine along with practicing with her new court weapons. In the afternoon she kills several raptors and feeds them to the dragon. It will not be until tomorrow that Ginger’s men come with an elk. While the archeaox gobbles the birds down she sweeps his nest out. It becomes a long day, and she has worn herself out thoroughly.

She knows she needs rest so crawls up to her nest and sleeps almost with one eye open because she still feels she is being watched. With time she forgets about her paranoia and falls into a deep sleep.

Miwa rides up to the ranch in a slow trot. She’s still badly sore but her wounds are slowly healing. She has several bandages showing and several underneath that are not. As she gets within sight of the house, she stares at it curiously. There behind the back door she sees a whipping post back up where it used to be in the very spot were she was tortured for years by her father to make her the perfect killing machine for his legacy.

She slows Wasabi down to a slow walk as she approaches closer to her old home. The stable hands prepare to receive her. She does not stop. She looks at them sternly as she passes. They flee into the barn. As she gets closer, she loosens her peace knots on her katana, wakizashi and kaiken. She is not sure what she is going to do yet. It will all be decided on what the people inside say to her.

As she gets fifty yards from the house Haruki comes out running. Miwa stops and watches as she approaches. She is wearing a kimono with only one layer. She comes up to the saddle excitedly explains, “Miwa!”

Miwa looks down at her with a stoic expression then to the pole in the yard, “Is it true, Haruki?”

“Miwa? I……I don’t know what you mean? I’m just…….”

“IS IT TRUE!” Miwa reaches down and with her great strength tears the back of Haruki’s kimono down. She sees the lash marks. There are much fewer than what is on her back, but she has a pretty good idea why they are there. Haruki pouts at first then begins to ball with all her heart. She puts her cheek against Miwa’s knee and holds her calf as a river of tears flows out from her. Miwa can only put her hand on Haruki’s head and stroke it protectively while closing her own eyes and sheading a tear or two herself.”

“I…. I tried to run away. Each time he caught me, and I found out what it was like for you Miwa. I found out what it was like.” Miwa continues to stroke her hair trying to comfort her stricken sister.

Her father comes out. He looks somehow smaller or thinner and very much older in Miwa’s eyes. When he looks up at first, he smiles and cries out “Miwa!” but then he sees her holding Haruki and the look in her eyes as she stares at him. He straightens his back, puts his tea down on a porch table, and takes on the same stoic face, “Lady Barasume! A pleasure to see you home.”

Miwa releases Haruki and sets her horse walking in his direction, the tenor of her next actions plainly written on her face. She halves the distance and Haruki runs between the two stopping Miwa and throwing out her hands. “Please Sister! Do not do this! It will only mean tragedy for all of us. Please!”

Her Father Smirks at her, “Yes, Miwa, what will you do now? Will you seek justice with your own hands. If you do You will start a clan war. Many will die. I will die here. I am no match for you now. Haruki will die here. When you explain to your Daimyo you will be flayed alive for patricide and our family name will be ruined. Your two sisters will be thrown out of society and have to live as eta whores.

If you go to the authorities I will be killed, Haruki will be killed. Our family will still be shamed. You will live but be put in the same position as Sango and Izumi. What will you do Little Wolverine. You will do nothing!”

Miwa draws her sword and tries to move around Haruki. Haruki moves while blocking her horse’s path. “No Miwa! Please? Think of our other sisters. Think of Izumi’s children!”

Miwa does a 360 with Wasabi trying to figure out how to get to her father while not hurting Haruki. Her father laughs, “Yes! I see the bloodlust of battle coming. The lust to strike another down! I put that into you Little Wolverine. I made you nearly immune to the pain of combat. Put into the darkest things. No matter how hard you try there will always be me staring back at you when you look deep inside yourself. You cannot deny me. I trained you to be a perfect killer Little Wolverine. Completely devoid of compassion when you feel the lust of battle within you. I DID THAT! And did you ever thank me? Did you ever visit your old, retired father! No! I wasted my time with you, Daughter! Kill me and let us end this. I am ready for Hell seeing what you have become. I am satisfied with my greatest work of art! Despite your resistance I have won. You will always be a slave to my teachings!”

Miwa looks down at Haruki. “Come with me. I will find you a place where you may live your life free of him.”

Haruki has a moment of indecision. She stares at Miwa a moment then looks back at her father. Her father loses his mirth and puts back on his stoic face. “She is just like me Haruki, even worse. She may be a lady of land with a good husband but what will you do? You will be her servant for the rest of your life. A slave to her orders. You are already spoiled, Haruki. No samurai would have you. Miwa can even give you away less her Daimyo find out the truth. You only have one option now my girl and that is with me so that no shame follows our family name.”

Haruki again looks between the two family members once again. Tears begin to fall again swelling up her face as she is undecided and starts to cry. Miwa puts out her free hand. “Come with me. We will figure it out together."

"She lies Haruki. Remember all the things I did to make her what she is. She will lie to you. Your life will be no better with her than with me. Do I not take care of you? Do I not let you live the life of luxury as the lady of this house. What does Barasume offer? Only that of a poor servant for what we have done.”

Miwa screams out, “WHAT YOU HAVE DONE! WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO ALL OF US! HARUKI IS INNOCENT! IT IS YOUR SIN FATHER!”

Frightened by Miwa’s outburst Haruki runs to her father, “Daddy!” She holds him at the waste crying. Burying her head into his chest.

Sadao looks down at Haruki then faces Miwa again. He smiles, “Haruki has made her choice and is now forever bonded to me. Leave my lands, Lady Barasume and never come back. Be at peace.”

Miwa’s fury of the injustice resonates along her face. Her teeth are grinding themselves so hard she almost breaks one. She spins Wasabi around trying to work out the untenable position he has forced her into. No matter what she does she will break the code of bushido in one way or another. No matter what she does there will be injustice. It’s now about how many will be affected by her choices. It’s about Honor, Courage of conviction set against family honor and the death of those around her.

Realization has dawned on her that her father long ago set up this trap with manipulating both her and her sister before she was even married. Miwa puts her sword back in her sheath and stands erect on her mount. “One day you will pay for this Shinto Sadao. One day justice will be served both in life and in death.”

Sadao yells back to her, “Go Coward!”

Miwa turns her horse and leaves. The tears start to flow as she crosses the boundary of the property. She knows she has made the wrong choice.
CTP team member