Barasume Miwa
This forum is for anyone to put their PC's stories down for other servers than Anchorome and Harvestmoon both long dead. Many may read them and get some inspiration for their own characters or for dming from their adventures.
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Barasume Miwa

Post by Winterhawk99 »

The beautiful blue sky belays the heat and humidity of the afternoon sun. Small markers line up between walkways in neat rows. In front of some, upon small granite slabs rising inches above the grass, are placed fruit, a bowl of rice, or a small box of wood; Sticks of smoking incense embedded within holes drilled into their top surface.

At one of them, a priestly figure stands to the side hovering over it with a smoking branch. The vapors smelling of sweet pungency. He leans over the slab shaking the limb back and forth while praying. Beside him a young woman stands. She looks no more than nineteen years old, yet her face bears the scars of numerous battles of the ceaseless clan wars of her country. If not for that she would be beautiful. Her breasts and buttocks slightly wider than the average Kozakurian.

She is dressed in a white kimono, a black odi wrapped around her waist. The hilt of a kaiken is plainly seen blade nestled underneath the wide belt. Showing all her status as a Onna-bugeisha. In her small hands, she holds an urn.

Across from the two stands and older Samurai. He is in full armor, its plating the colors of blood red and white. He stands at attention in silence while the priest preforms his service; a katana, with the tsukaito re-wrapped in pure black silk, resting in his left hand.

The priest stops and steps back. The woman places the urn in the marble box sitting on two planks. When she is finished, two workers use bars to hold and lift the box slightly while another removes the planks. The box is then lowered slowly and carefully by the others with the bars until it rests in the hole the top about 6 inches above the grass. The workers then seal a marble lid over the box. The woman sets an incense box on the top. She places two sticks in the hole lights them and blows them out. As the smoke starts to waif up to the heavens all in attendance bow to the box get on their knees and pray.

After a time, the priest stands. Then one by one the rest stand. The woman being the last. Everyone leaves the grave except the woman and the older samurai. The old one comes to attention. He takes his right fingers and slides them along the saya until he reaches the tip. He turns the whole of it horizontal and bows reaching out with both his hands for her to take it, “Barasume Miwa. Accept your husband's blade with honor.”

“I accept, Lord Daimyo.” The woman bows keeping her eyes upon his. She takes the sword tip and Tsuka. She turns it vertical and slides the sword between her odi and kimono. The scabbard sliding down the fingertips of her left hand.

Once that is finished, they both go to attention. She bows once again in silence, again keeping her eyes directly on his, and waits. The lord once again speaks. “You and you husband have served me faithfully for five years. His loss is a tragedy and will be felt for years to come. I will make arrangements with a Narado to determine your next husband. You are still young and vibrant Miwa. An excellent example of Onna-bugeisha. With a new husband you will retain your lands and more.”

She bows, “I respectfully decline, Daimyo. I loved my husband with all my heart since the time we married. I wish to move on, respectfully and leave your service. I am more warrior than administrator. Ryuu was not only my husband. He ran our lands. With another less competent I fear my people would come to ruin for if neither myself nor my new husband cannot administrate then ruin would come.”

The old warrior looks at the grave and back at her. She holds his eyes like a true warrior gifted beyond most of her class. “In the five years that you have served me not once have you disobeyed me. Yet here in front of your husbands grave you now choose to make this choice. Kneel before me, Barasume Miwa.”

She walks around the grave and kneels. Hands on her hips her head dips to within a few inches to the ground. She does not touch her forehead to the grass itself for she is samurai and not some peasant or of lower class. The Daimyo once again looks to the grave then back to her. “I have lost a valuable samurai and asset on this day. I will not lose a second. Therefore, I pass judgement on your indiscretion.

You will forfeit all lands and have no income. You will be banished from my territory for each of the million gods. I will retain you to my service. I charge you to go out into the world, become truly one with your sword. Upon the end of eight years, you are charged to return to me. You will be tested and if you have truly become the mistress of your blade, I will find a proper husband for you, and you will sit at my table as Mistress, Trainer, and Commander of all Onna-bugeshia in my territory. Do you understand Barasume Miwa?”

“Yes, Daimyo.”

“Do you accept this judgement, Barasume Miwa?”

“I do Daimyo.”

“I expect you to present yourself in my court on this day eight years from now.”

“I will Daimyo.”

“Collect your armor, weapons and horse, leave my land……. With honor.”

The woman slowly stands. She bows deeply keeping her eyes on his. He recognizes her. She does an about face and walks down the path through the entrance of the graveyard.
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Re: Barasume Miwa

Post by Winterhawk99 »

// Ok so one of the players on Narfell had some ideas about Miwa. after he or she read the introductory story. So I let them dm Miwa making her way from Kozakura to Narfell. So, for the next few postings I will have a a co-author so to speak. Their name is Shalvenay, who plays Thyr Cyr's current love interest.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa wakes up in her small tent and looks outside the first waystation on the border to Thresk. Not that she knows that. She has no Idea where she is other than she has passed over a border to the western lands. She shoots out of the tent. Her war horse is gone and nowhere to be seen. Her bow case and some other things thrown off the saddle lean against the reign post, along with her saddle. Why would they not steal the saddle too, she thinks to herself.

She collects her gear and throws the saddle over her shoulder. Her long life of training has prepaired her to lift heavy loads. She walks at a slow but not stunted pace as she tries to track her horse's hoof prints down the road even though she has no idea how to track. She looks up at the morning sun in a futile pleading attempt to quarry her ancestors on the thief.

She sees a sharp eared man coming up the road trying to talk to her. His skin reminds one of the color of a blueberry, and his head has a mass of very light whitish/blonde hair. She yells out in Shou then in High shou to him. The man puts his hand up palm out to her. He takes something out of his clothing and seems to cast a spell. Miwa can only look down at her weapons as her hands are full at the moment. 'Well if he's going to kill me at I hope he sets my head atop a stake as is proper.' She thinks to herself.

When done with his spell he suddenly can speak and understand her high shou. She speaks to him, "My horse was stolen from me at the last waystation I hope to find it in that village. I am Miwa of the clan Barasume. Female Samurai and widow." She is obviously only 19 or 20.

His gold-flecked hazel eyes rove over her briefly in a casual observation, speaking Common in return at least for now. A finely engraved belt buckle is visible at his waist, flanked by a slender sword and a heavy tome, both attached to his belt, and he looks to be young as well, although you can tell in those eyes he's seen things... "If not, I'm sure we can find you another one. Name's Celdor, itinerant champion of the Dark Dancer, mage, war hero to some. Want a hand with that stuff getting into town, at least?"

she looks at the bag and the saddle, "You take saddle, Katana's cannot be touched by another. War horse will cost much more than have. the 8 million must be angry."

He takes the saddle on his shoulder with a bit of a heft. It's clear that he's built more for speed then might "We shall see, if nothing else, I can cover the costs. Let's walk into town together no?"

"Yes, you honor me. I can pay inn fees but not fees for new horse. strong war horse needs much coin." She takes two katanas out of her bag and a long 10 inch dagger and place them between her odi and kimono the then takes a curved shorts word out and nestles it beside the long dirk. Next she takes her daiku out and found that its broken. she sighs," I didn't open the case after I found it. thieves must have thrown it off my mount not knowing how to shot it."
She then hefts the armor bag upon her back and waits for him to be ready. She easily carries the 90bls of equipment even though she seems to only weight about 130 or 35.

He waits all this time, keeping an eye on the road

"I'm ready, Celdor. lets see whats up ahead."

Celdor starts towards the village, eyes scanning the road for any signs of trouble. It's clear he's no stranger to travel.

She keeps her eyes straight ahead but he can tell she still uses her peripheral vision for any movement. She trusts her status as a knight to scare off any direct encounters.

They make it to the village without incident, for now at least, and find the rather small inn without much trouble, stepping inside to a slightly nervous greeting from the keeper-boy "H...hello"
Celdor responds with a nod, speaking Common again "Hello there. We were hoping to find a place to rest our heads for the night, the lady here has had quite a hard trip." receiving a nervous reply "Th...that'd be...a silver each...all we have...are some cots...off to the side...though"

She looks to the boy, "Shou, High Shou?" The young man shakes his head. She then sighs, "What did he say Celdor?"

Celdor provides him with a silver piece, responding to Miwa in Common again "It's a silver for one of those cots in the corner. I think I'll take my reverie outside, so I can dance and pray under the moon's light"
"I covered the cost of the cot, though"

"I have money. Ok this isn't the end of the world. It's just a horse." She turns around. Lets take a look to see if the town has my horse somewhere in it. Besides, I need a walk."
"If we can't find it I'll sell the saddle"

"Fair enough, we can leave your saddle and packs here then"

"yes"

He sets the saddle near a cot in particular

she sets her duffle like bag beside it, following him out the door

It's not far to find a small horse-stable and pasture, although the only horse there is an old, bedraggled mare, certainly no war mount. The horse is joined by a couple of small burros and a battered mule. She winces when she sees the old horse out of luck. I'm sorry Celdor I'm usually not like this. My inquisitive side doesn't seem to be working. I'll sell the saddle and have enough to go to the next city of considerable size."

"Hm....I suppose that'll work, since there should be someone here who deals in gear and tack, even if they are snoring at this late hour" at this, there's a cry of "stop thief!" which immediately draws Celdor's attention to someone running down the street with a saddle on one shoulder and a bag on the other...

She runs to the door barefoot to see what's happening. Celdor joins her in running to the door, seeing the thief. His off-hand starts to weave a powerful spell as he incants rhythmically, a green hand beginning to materialize near the dark-clad urchin-girl...

Miwa, though, quickly finds out that that's not the only problem in town, when a tall, quite burly man tries to grab and hand gag her...and even lift her from her feet to keep her from running after the thief, or doing much of anything else for that matter as his large arm is trying to wrap both of hers in against her torso...

She tries to reach for her kaiken. she can grab the pommel, but the man has her arms pinned. She cannot draw the large-bladed dagger. he picks her up from the ground, straining her neck as he whispers in his ear "Pretty girl, I think you should think twice about your course of action here. Drawing steel on a man like me never ends well...to think that your fate will be any different than the dozens of maidens that found themselves in this position before me" his voice is harsh, his opening sarcastic, and his overall tenor dismissive.

Miwa brings her leg up and kicks him between his legs with all her strength put into her heel. In the meantime, Caldor's spell goes off without a hitch, the massive green hand sending the urchin tumbling to the ground and holding them there. At the commotion near him, he now turns, drawing his slender rapier and speaking in a stern tone "Unhand my companion at once, or ye will face the full fury that I can bring."

The man staggers back briefly, throwing her to the ground forcefully in the process, screaming obscenities as he draws his sword and recovers from the blow, trying to place a boot on her hard enough so she cannot breathe "Stay down, @$!@$@!$!"

She rolls/tumbles while unsheathing her katana. She spins back to take off one of his ankles. if the maneuver works. She swears a couple of obscenities in the process then battle fever takes over and she gives the man a deadly smile.

The man is forced to leap back at this, only to find himself having to parry in a panic right as he lands as Celdor closes in on him with a jab of his own, easily maneuvering around Miwa's katana spin. She can see Celdor's rapier bending, his movements flowing easily from recovery into another strike...

Miwa joins in the attack drawing her Curved short sword weaving her blades for a place to land a vital spot or cut off a limb she's fully into battle mode now and knows her weapons from dozens of battles. free to maneuver and now in control she presses the assailant.

Celdor presses him as well, rapier flashing with glints of moonlight, forcing him off-balance at several points as the heavy, fat man struggles to elude the hail of blows, taking several small cuts in the process. The man tries a trick though, attempting to knock Miwa's swords into Celdor and disrupt both their timing by entangling the two fighters...

Miwa keeps each sword on different planes as she reads his tactics and waits for the lethal blow to open up. face, neck, lung, inner thigh, liver.

Celdor reads his trick like an open book though and without even a single flinch of his own offhand, incants a few words in Elven and seems to take a single step, suddenly putting himself behind the other fighter before Miwa's swords can reach Celdor! The fat man, clad in dark-dyed leathers and a cuir bolli, stares, perplexed at the event that just happened, his guard broken.

Miwa takes her advantage and tries to strike his inner thigh with her katana.

He belatedly goes for a parry on the blow, managing to lessen it to the point where he's still upright, but his guard is wide open for a lethal strike from Miwa's offhand to anywhere on his upper torso...not to mention the fact Celdor, behind him, isn't wasting time either, he is coming around for a rapier thrust at the man's neck from behind...

when she sees that opening, she goes for the liver. Miwa's wakizashi goes straight through his liver, sending him wide-eyed for a split-second before Celdor's rapier slips between his vertebrae and severs most of his spine, rendering him as limp as an unstrung puppet before slicing open his carotid and larynx, the bloody tip of the fine blade protruding from his Adam's apple. Celdor then pulls his blade free, letting the man collapse in an ungainly, graceless sprawl.

She pulls her blades out and makes sure the katana has blood on it. Not seeing any she flicks his cheek with the tip and turns her attention to the urchin. She walks up to her, walks up to her and puts the tip of her katana to the urchins throat, "WHERE IS HORSE!" Her eyes still showing the bloodlust of battle.

The little girl shakes her head, eyes wide with fright "Fat man said h...horse ran off..." as Celdor turns to address the rest of the situation, dismissing his spell before lowering himself to one knee next to the girl "Fat man...was doing bad things. Just tell me...what he promised you...for helping him...with bad things." then up to Miwa "I think she got...dragged into the fat man's schemes, paid off or something, or worse yet, coerced."

"War horses do not run off." She looks to the girl that maybe 8 or 9 years old. Then sighs and lifts her katana.

The girl speaks hesitantly "...fat man...bad man...said my...my parents owed him...things...he'd break them...if I...didn't work for him" to which Celdor responds in his calm, even tenor "Go home, tell your parents fat man will not trouble them any longer, or try to make you do bad things."
Celdor then looks up to Miwa as he rises "Worse comes to worse, if there's like some horse-hair stuck to the saddle or something, I could try to scry for your horse...just need to find a mirror, or we can sell it and keep working our way down the road. Up to you, really"

"Horse gone by now. Yakuza are not dumb. It 30 miles away or more by now. I sell saddle."

"Fair enough, let us rest and sell the tack in the morning when the stableboy's awake"
as the girl runs off to find whatever she has for parents.

Miwa brings a cloth out of her bag first that smells of cloves. She carefully towels off the two blades until not a speck of blood is on them. Then she sheaths them.

Celdor heads over to the fat man's dead body and uses some of the fat man's clothing to clean his rapier off before sheathing the blade. Oddly enough, even though there is blood spatter on Celdor's own jacket and vest, it leaves no mark or stain on the garments.

The pair go back to the inn for the night.

Story by Shalvenay and Winterhawk99
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Celdor rises from his reverie and stretches a bit, poking his head into the inn to see if Miwa is about. He sees her at the fire making a pot of green tea and opening a pack of jerky which she nibbles on while she is waiting for the pot to boil. Celdor smiles as he smells the aroma of the tea. "Mind if I join ye?" Pulling some waybread and other rations out so he can break his own fast.

"Yes, is good but only have one cup." She takes a strong ribbon out of her pack. Wrapping her hair with it in a tight bun, then pours some tea into the goblet Celdor presents before pouring some into her own cup.

He looks at tea, "Recon this'll do."

Miwa sips her tea and meditates, momentarily looking at the saddle once or twice. He takes the tea and sips from it, washing down some waybread, dried fruits, and nuts of his own, "You did a pretty good number on that man your ownself.... wonder if he was the horse-thief that hit you while you were sleeping?"

"I am not sure. but think he involved. I train since can hold sword to be fighting woman and good wife. It is the way of the families of Kozakura. "

"Aye... I've had run-ins with his type before.... One in particular when I was growing up. 'He sighs' Human wizard, from Mulmaster best I can tell.... Thought my mother some sort of exotic jewel to take for his own wants. He found himself in a fight against four swords for his trouble, Onet that ended with his own blood spilling onto the ground when he lunged after my mother despite the blade's tip at his throat.

She nods, "Where I from many like that executed. Though yakuza still roam the night."

"Aye, Mulmasters's a place I have no desire to go... seen too many folks from there already, none of them up to anything good. I'd rather deal with the orcs of that land... they at least didn't spill over the border to cause trouble... Mind if I join ye on your journey for the day at least?" He sips his goblet of tea as he munches on more rations, supplementing them with a bit of jerky of his own.

"Yes, you can come. I go west and will stop when I run out of coin. I see more round eyes. I should stop soon after. They say round eyes are barbarians with no sophistication. I will test that."

Celdor laughs and shakes his head, "Folk of all stripes range from the simpleton to the sophisticated, I find. I reckon the stable hand should be up and about, reckon we can go see hime once we're done with our tea here?"

She nods to him, gets up and traps all her weapons to herself, then she picks up the saddle and waits for him. Celdor finishes his tea and rations before getting his own things together and joining her on their way to the stables. The stable hand is up and about, a grizzled old man who looks like he's seen far too much... "Whadda ya want?"

Miwa speaks up, "I want to sell this war hourse saddle. Thank a look and see how much you will pay for it."

He looks the saddle over pensively. "Well-worn, but good tack none-the-less." Digging some coins from an apron pocket "Ten gold for that, regular tack usally only goes for a couple around here."

She sighs, "You know it is worth 150...200."

He rummages through some more pockets, grumbling a bit. "More than I normally buy things for... but alright, twenty gold." and hands the gold over, taking the saddle off Miwa's hands and heading off into the back to put it up. She looks at the coins and shakes them. Turning to Celdor, "I had a feeling I would not have gotten more so just cut the haggle out.

Celdor turns to leave, "Yeah, I guess you're right with the way he was. You ready to hit the road, or...?"

"Yes, I am ready. takes her pack and straps it to her back. "I'll find a walking stick along the way."

The two set out unto the forest road once again, Celdor moving at a steady clip along the trail. "So... I take it your fighting style is that of your homeland, no?"

She smiles, "Yes, if not more forceful. They say Onna-bugeshia are cuddly in home but in battle turn to wolverines. We more war frenzied then our men to prove honor. I do not understand fully my country's penitence for war and bloodshed, but I accept the way it is."

He chuckles as they proceed down the road, "Reminds me of my own mother, even though she is of much different blood. She's the one who originally taught me how to handle a blade, even though I could never quite get the hang of the heavy hand-and-a half she always preferred."

"Is like Nochia, I think this hand and a half. It takes much skill. Much like katana. Forest looks darker now. How much longer until city?"

"Reckon it'll be a few days' walk at least until the next town, not like there are settlements all over some of these woods the way you find in some places."

Is between east and west. I think border like this always contested."

He continues to scan the woods with his eyes as they walk, keeping watch for any trouble. "And aye, the hand-and-a-half is not a weapon for the novice. My mother was rather skilled with it herself, wielded it one-handed rather easily. Surprised folks when she did, too, considering she's not even my size."

She looks at him and thinks a moment, looks at him again then shakes her head. "I have trouble with great sword and you mother smaller? I don't understand but it is often the way of things."

"I recon it's a bit of a divine gift, which'd only make sense as she's a sword-dancer in the service to the Dark Maiden" He touches his belt buckle, it's engraved with the symbol of Eilistraee."

"I do not know what dark maiden is. There are only humans and dwarves on my island home. Is she of the 8 million gods?"

"Eilistraee, The Dark Maiden is indeed a god, a very near and special one to my own heart."

"This god does he have code?"

"She, and aye... The Dark Maiden's followers are to live with life and light, aiding travelers and villagers in their journeys. Leading their kindred out of the darkness, fighting those who ensare with webs of lies and deceit."

"Sound like good god. I follow the enlightened path."

"Aye, one can do far worse than following her, that much is certain. It's no easy road to walk though, many wish to see us fall, and there are even those that say she herself is a lie, a convenient tale used as a mask by forces of darkness... Those who say that do not realize that they are trapping themselves in a web of their own lies.

"All people lie, I think. Some days I lie to husband say doing fine when not. There work to do and sometimes he would come home tired. I need not put my problems to him then. I wait for better time when he is ready. But Ryuu gone now. I do miss him and have him here too in his katana."

"What happened to him?" Celdor asks, curiously. "It's alright if you do not wish to answer."

"Clan wars. We fight together in battle dozens of times. This time there were too many on us. I made it, He did not. It is the way of things. I thought when I disobeyed my lord, he would have me kill myself so I could be with my husband. He did not. He banished me to this quest."

Celdor sighs and nods slowly, Twasn't to be with my sister, either... Not that I'd ever want to join her, given those who felled her banished her to a hell I wish on nobody... Shot her down with an envenomed arrow as she danced under the moonlight, then sacrificed her too the Spider while she struggled for breath against the effects of the vile poison in her veins."

Miwa winces, "Is not an honorable way to die."

"Nay...Given that said Spider-Bitch is one of the cruelest gods known, and wishes nothing more than to sentence anyone who dares resist her to eternal torment in her web...'tis why I stand fast the way I do.'

Miwa nods, "This Spider? It is a demon?"

"The Spider-Bitch? Aye... Some say she's both demon and goddess."

Miwa nods slowly. "Some spirit gods do not like to be disturbed we give those places cacred to them peace by not going."

"This is... worse than that. The Bitch lies, deceives, tricks people into going out, stabbing in the back, doing her vile bidding.... About the only silver lining is that my parents were able to hunt down those responsible for my sister's death and ensure that no more would die by their hand."

"Yes, revenge to get honor back: I understand this well."

"Anyway... Enough of that topic, I suppose."

"Yes, brings bad vapors."

CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

A few hours later Celdor picks up the conversation again. "Perhaps you have things you wish to share, or ask of me for that matter?"

Miwa replies, "Do not know anything of west. Only know what country. We have one enemy. It is island of Wa." She pauses while continuing to walk down the road. "Could tell you code of enlightened path. May help you someday. You want to hear?"

"I suppose so."

She nods to him slowly. "First Rule: Honour that which has gone before you. For the past is eternal." She waits and Celdor says nothing, so she goes on. Second rule is: Honour and respect your Elders and Ancestors. Show honor in word, thought, action and deed. Sometimes I have hard time to follow this rule when collecting taxes for husband. Some do not want to pay; especially elders that want to protect their family's coin."

Celdor nods, "Honoring my elders can be... a struggle at times for me. At least you never have to worry about someone of respect and stature claiming that you shouldn't exist...."

"Yes. Rule Three is: Speak not false words, nor engage in false deeds, for these are not Li. Umm Li is energy inside you. If it is balanced it is good. If out of balance, this is bad."

Again, Celdor nods, "Some truths are...harder to confront than others."

"Yes, the ones you must tell yourself are hardest. The Next one I broke and that is why I am here and not in homeland. It is: Do honor to he who rules you, for earth is the mirror of heaven, and the son of heaven is the mirror of the celestial one. Be obedient to your lord. It is important to obey your Daimyo. It is important the lower classes respect and obey Samurai."

"There was...no lord to speak of where I grew up at...The leaders of the nearby towns did not like my mother and I, based on our blood alone, either..."

"Why is this?"

"It was territory that wasn't...really part of a kingdom, per se...settlements that had been left behind by the fall of empires, or founded by those seeking refuge from persecution... As my mother drew such negative reactions, and me likewise...? Well...let me put it this way: Most people would see naught but evil in the ruby eyes and pointed ears that glinted in the firelight of my childhood. Tucking me into my bedroll as a wee lad, even though it was once said by an itinerant priest that 'twas a paladin's heart that beat beneath that ebon bosom."

"Paladin is knight? Like me, Samauri, Onna-bugeshia?"

He nods, "A knight, devoted to a goodly good and their code of honor."

"I do not understand this concept. Samurai not devoted to a lord but a single god....unless god a code... is a paladin like a monk?

"In their devotions, one could say so. The Broken God, Ilmater, has both monks and paladins among the ranks of his followers, even."

"I take your word. Rule four is: Engage in no base thing, nor commit murder, for to strike another in the name of anger is not Li. Samurai break rule all the time but is different. We fight for our lord with no rage in heart. We take revenge but not in anger to the enemy. It is to balance a wrong or loss. To make the one in the wrong feel the pain you go through. Battle, Battle is chaos and rage. Then you must embrace it until the battle is over, but after, when paused you accept the peace that comes from it."

"Aye, there's miles of difference between striking one's foe down in face-to-face combat then giving them the respect ye would give your own fallen, vs cowardly assassinations, acts of torture, sacrifices to the dark gods, and such..."

"Yes, that is it when you fight, you must know your own heart."

"Indeed, and your foe for that matter..."

"Next rule of path is this: Do honor to those you must rule, for under the eye of heaven, they are your equals. Be fair to those your rule."

Celdor nods firmly, "Aye, leaders exist to serve their people, not to subjugate them."

"It means we are in a way as mortals all equal. I am a fighter. Others have other talents. I cannot shave a bow or make a sword. I am not a goddess so should appreciate all under heaven." She smiles, "It is that too. I serve community as they serve me." She looks up and makes a sign though she doesn't not particularly seem religious. "The next rule is a hard rule to follow. It says: Know that all things are One under Heaven, even the lowliest of creatures. The Path says that but know there are things of disorder and evil in the world. I still meditate on this rule."

"Aye, who someone is born to does not determine their destiny in life."

"I think maybe it also says that we are all connected but how is beyond my understanding. It is something for monks and priests to argue over. Not we who fight for a lord. Umm, Umm! There one more rule. It says: That you must make strong the force of the body, to become one with heaven in defense of the weak and defenseless. This is truly Li. This one I understand. It is in harmony with bushido: The code of all Samurai. But I think incomplete. Li is three parts. It is body, yes but mind and soul too. Become both strong and balanced for the inner strength of Li. In this way you can defend those that cannot defend themselves."

"Aye, confronting those who would shed innocent blood is an integral part of my faith as well."

She nods, "I do not consider myself a good person. The way of the sword is brutal justice at times. But consider myself a loyal person to the ideas of country and tradition. Peace is found in doing what best fits you for the community and lord."

"Aye, I've had my moments, highs and lows both...successes, failures...sometimes you just have to pick yourself up when you've taken a spell and carry on the best you can."

She nods to him and looks up the road while she walks. "Yes, all do this, I think. I plan to stop at the next big city to start my training. Hopefully there will be a few Sensei there to help."

"Hopefully so...I reckon that we'd make an awkward pair as practice partners, what with having vastly different styles of fighting and such."

"That sewing needle you carry; I don't know how it does not break."

He quietly laughs, "Rather better forged than most sewing needles, I reckon. I've had this blade for quite some time now. Found it secondhand in a shop, and it's by no means unique, but it's served me rather well over the years. By and large, even down into the abyss and back, as well as fighting monstrosities on the prime. You're the first to make that remark. Most I've met either think me a wizarding sort when I start weaving magic."

"I do not know wu-jen things. It is strange. Just know how to make wu-jen silent if need too. Cut out tongue and break fingers."

"Aye, mostly effective for better or for worse...Only reason I haven't tried my hand at casting without speaking is because apparently nobody's ever been able to figure out how to apply that in conjuration with casting without gestures."

"There are not many who do magic in my lands so do not know what you are speaking of exactly. Closest I can see is you need to speak to make something from nothing."

"I suppose you could say it that way, either speaking with one's tongue or speaking with one's hands..."

"Yes, then if wu-jen obey law, I am fine with that. There are many honorable among those that do magic. Many though not. What kind of people are in the west other than round eyes and sharp ears?"

"Many sorts...From crafty hinnish rangers to stout knights of dragon's blood...magi, both honorable and not...those who carry the blood of angels, fiends, fey....elves of gossamer wing, of wolf's fur..."

"It seems the west is a strange and wonderful land or territying. What of spirit folk, Hengeyokai, Korobokuru?"

"I... might? have run into one or two Hengeyokai before? Parts of it can be quite strange indeed, enough to spook the locals a bit even."

"A good test for an Onna-bugeisha then."

"Some parts, obviously, are going to be less... cosmopolitan... than" There's a very Abrupt silencing effect as a cloud of darkness erupts around the two, apparently from some small trinket that was thrown into their path as they walked along. Next thing Miwa knows, she can fell someone trying to invade her head, trying to speak to her in the cloud of darkness and silence.

CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa duckes and rolls trying to get out of the darkness while telling whatever it is to get out of her mind. She stops in a cat stance placing her hand on her katana. Waiting for any sound or movement. Not finding the spells edge she listens while trying to quiet her mind and harden it against mental attack. The mental attack persists, a relentless hammering of voices now, flooding the zone of her head with incredible visions of darkness. The illusions dance before her eyes, visions that cannot be true.

She goes to one knee holding her ears from the pressure and images in her mind, pleading whatever, it is to get out of her head, but it just keeps going. Visions and voices speaking lies. She stands and turns to run straight up the road. She needs to get away from the voices. Once She can see she will look to who is doing this and carry out the justice she needs too.

The voices and visions command her to kneel, before a vision of a lithe, pale, elvish figure, albeit with a spade-tail more typical of a tiefling. The figure in her mind speaks, "YOu speak of respecting your elders...Do you know who they are in this land?"

She tries to fight it, but speaks, "I know my elders, I know my ancestors, I know my lord. These are who I am loyal to and respect!"

Miwa's mouth opens, but no words are able to escape it, "You think you do...Oh, you sweet summer child, coming to these lands, not questioning who you meet"

Her eyes dart to find Celdor. Hes nowhere near. Then she looks at the hellish figure again. "Be away with you demon! You will not fool me with your lies!"

"Are you sure I am the demon? What makes you think that there aren't demons lurking in others as well? Such as your Companion?"

Miwa draws her katana and strikes at her. The vision does not waver at the attempt. "Do you think your blade can strike down what you see in your mind's eyes?"

"What!" Miwa looks around again then closes her eyes and listens for anything near her. "I will find you! You will make a mistake!"

Miwa still cannot hear anything, not even her own breathing. "It's not real, Its not real. Concentrate, rely on your training."

"What makes you think I am not more real than the mirage your companion presents to you?"

"Speak your peace demon!"

Finally, the darkness lifts. Miwa is still on the same road as before, but there are fresh prints of sturdy boots on the road, with no sign of Celdor. She follows the prints: searching among the trees of the forest for her unknown assailant. The tracks lead to a nearby clearing. Celdor is visible there. He is gagged and tied to a large rock, with a female elven tiefling, clad in revealing black leathers and point-toed heels with a knife in her hand. Her hood is down showing her face. She is alongside a more mysterious figure clad in purple robes with a dragon's skull embroidered on them. She can hear conversations in a harsh tongue between the two.

Miwa tries to hide behind a tree for a moment to think. She considers. 'First, they want me to follow? Why? Second looks like Wu-jen and yakuza working together. What would that have to do with us.... Celdor says people don't like his kind. I don't know why.'

The clearing is quite large, The sky grows dark and stormy. Miwa continues her thought process. 'No way I can sneak like a yakuza or ninja. Don't know how. The only think I can do is go for the wu-jen first. But find out why they want me here and now.' She puts everything down and decides what to take with her. 'Two katanas, kaiken and wakizashi.' She leaves the rest there then comes out of hiding walking to and across the clearing to meet them hand clasping her katana.

Both of them turn to her, the robed figure speaking up as the tiefling raises her hand to cast a spell "I would take that sword off, miss, lest you be humiliated to the point of falling on it." Before the robed figure turns back to complete some sort of rite.

Miwa shouts, "MY SWORDS STAY ON MY BODY THEY ARE MY HONOR. YOU LED ME HERE FOR A REASON. YOU TOOK MY COMPANION. EXPLAIN YOURSELF!" She then looks to see if Celfor is harmed then looks back to the tiefling.

She laughs, "YOur sense of petty honor is admirable, but" then is sharply interrupted as Celdor shouts something in the middle of the rit. "What?!" A dragon comes swooping in. Its bronze scales glistening in the waning light. "I thought that the sacrifice wasn't going to be..." and before the robed figure can respond he is flattened by the dragon landing on him with a bellowing roar, aimed squarely at the now horizontal purpl-robed figure, and spoken in common for all to hear. "So you think that I want blood offerings, sacrifices of tender flesh?"

Miwa stands frozen in fear hand on her katana look up in awe of the strange dragon beast. The dragon meanwhile uses a free clow to start slashing the ropes holing Celdor to the rock he's been tied to as the tiefling sorceress slowly turns to the scene. Miwa can see that Celdor's gear has been piled up beside the rock. Just out of his reach to try to torment him.

Miwa watches the metal beast to see if it is actually freeing him then turns her attention to the Tiefling while trying to break the paralyzing fear to go after her if she can. Meanwhile she watches what the woman does.

The Tiefling seems paralyzed but what's happening, confused even, with a 'This can't be" look on her face. Celdor seems unshaken by the dragon's presence as he's freed, though, and immediately goes for his sword as the hulking bronze-scaled flyer picks the purple-robed cultist up and proceeds to pop him into their mouth, whole, and start chewing on the man.

Miwa is able to break free of her fear at this point as Celdor scrambles to get his gear on and start warding himself, also throwing lesser mind blank to Miwa at this point. Now that she's seen the dragon eat someone she dives behind the rock to hide from the giant of a beast, while muttering, "next time buy new daikyu."

The dragon then turns its attention to the tiefling, along with Celdor, shortly afterwards, who starts shouting at the tiefling in quite the lyrical tenor, but in elven. This quickly devolves into an exchange of spells and blows as Celfor closes on the woman in a ferocious attack, paying no mind to the dragon even as a bolt of lightning crackles from its open jaws straight into the besieged sorceress.

This becomes too much for Miwa as she peaks around the corner. Never experiencing anything like this battle. It overwhelms her. She figures if the dragon is going to eat her, she'll at least try to drive her sword through the roof of its mouth. Otherwise, she just tries to make herself look small.

It's not long before the lass is knocked to the ground with the wind knocked out of her. She lets go of the knife and whip and yields, the blow having rendered her unable to cast magic for the time being.

Miwa occasionally peeks around the corner to keep up with what's going on without everyone noticing. Celdor kneels beside the lass as he collects her weapon, talking to her in soft, lyrical elven as the dragon peeks it's head around the rock curiously, green eyes glinting in the light as a large scaly head greets Miwa.

She presser her back against the rock and half draws her sword. "If you're going to eat me, I'll do my best to bite back before I die!" with a voice somewhere between anger and hysteria.

The dragon takes a moment to process what Miwa is saying before speaking in a low, fumbling voice, although in High Shou. "No. the devouring was his consequence for being addled by the words of cultists who thing they can ploy my kind just like they do chromatics."

Still wide eyed she slowly slides the naked part of her blade back into its sheath but keeps a tight grip on it.

Celdor hoist the tiefling to her feet, gagged, bound, and apparently silenced, then looks over to Miwa, "You alright there?"

She points her finger at the dragon beast, "Speaks language. Must be one of 8 million."

"They're a friend of mine. Was able to bend the cultist's rituatl to call them down instead of whatever dragon they were trying to feed me too."

Miwa slides away from the rock and the dragon and backs up to what she thinks is a safe distance. She looks at him then the dragon undecided a moment then bows to the dragon trying to keep eye contact. "Miwa of Barasume clan, Onna-bugeishia." The dragon rumbles and introduction she cannot understand.

Celdor speaks up, "I reckon we get her back to town, hopefully I can find a local enclave who can help me with her, or barring that some Sehanites or such."

Miwa speaks, "She is a criminal to waylay people on the road. I will go with you to see this through." She then smiles a crooked smile to herself.

"Aye, I think there's something deeper behind this though, I doubt this was merely a matter of petty crime."

The dragon then rumbles to the other two, "You mind a ride?"

Miwa lets Celdor in on the silent joke, "I just thought, I Thought is not the girl supposed to be the sacrifice? That means you are the pretty one."

Celdor laughs, "I'm honestly not sure what that cultist was thinking, other than the horror that was going through his head in his final moments of course."

"Not sure I want to ride a dragon. He may need a snack on the road."

He chuckles, "Knowing them, I doubt it."

She looks incredulously at the dragon, "If you say so, I'll still keep one hand on my sword."

Celdor helps Miwa onto the dragon's back. Followed by pulling his captive and himself up before the beast takes to wing for the nearest city. The dragon leaves when they get to the gate. The pair turn the girl in. Celdor and Miwa find a local inn for the night. When she wakes up. He is gone.

CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

In the next small city Miwa checks in at the inn and goes to her room. It is not long when there is a knock at the door. She opens it to find a messenger standing there. "Lady Miwa of the Barasoomy clan?"

"Miwa of Barasume", she repeats not knowing what this could be about.

The messenger gives her a sealed letter. She gives him a silver. He takes his leave. Opening the letter, she notices it is in fact in High shou

Dear Onna-Bugieshia Miwa of the Barasume clan.

You are cordially invited to a ball at my humble abode. My name is Lord Mayfield. When young I traveled to the east to see the wonders of its lands. When I heard there was a woman of your stature here in our lands, I knew I must invite such an esteemed woman of the Kozakura to my party. I humbly thank you for your attendance. The address is 45 courtyard circle in the upper district.

Thank you
Lord Chester Mayfield.

She sighs, Miwa does not like parties. She has a way when she talks of turning people off, even her own people. Every party or meeting she had to attend she always had Ryuu to speak for the two of them. She could be silent and do her duty as a good respectful wife. Now Ryuu is gone, and she will be exposed in a world of nobility where every word can mean everything........or nothing. Which is which she never was able to figure it all out. That was Ryuu's area of expertise. Being a Lady of the Kozandura nobility be it a very small part she had to attend.

She takes a bath and takes most of the day to do up her hair in a proper style: tied up into a bun but rather loosely knotted in the back letting most of it fall to the middle of her back in a ribbon tail. She wears her best red and white kimono with a black odi sliding her kaiken in plain sight. Her clan badge perfectly displayed on each shoulder. She then meticulously cleans both her katanas and runs a clove oiled rag down the blades. Her perfume is orange blossom based.

She is barefoot. Most of her kind wear shoes. She however when not in armor does not. Her father who trained her to fight would not let her wear shoes to instill humility into her. Since that time she only wears armored boots when dawning her war gear.

The atmosphere when she arrives is reserved, almost hushed, with the men in finely tailored suits and jackets, the women in ball gowns and tasteful jewelry. Even the servants are dressed in find clothes and well-heeled dress shoes. Punch, wine, and hor d'oeuves are being passed around freely, and a couple of musicians are playing slow, soft music.

Miwa watches anyone's reaction as she wanders to the nearest food or drink quietly while assessing the situation herself. She alsw wonders why she was invited because this is clearly something different from her own culture.

People seem to regard her with a mix of interest, suriosity, and maybe even slight concern and quiet tut-tuts at her being barefoot. It seems that it's not uncommon for folk to be at least somewhat armed, albeit with their weapons beacebound, and a few figures stand out among the mix of humans, elves, hins, planar-bloods and even the odd half-dragon or two. One of them is a stout-looking elven dressed in an unusually plain outfit, beige instead of bright colors, lacking in jewels, and wearing sturdy boots instead of heeled dress gootwear. Instead of the fine rapier of a courtier or a the longsword of a knight, though. she has a beaked pick peace-knotted at her hip, and a book bound in rather plain leather with her as well.

Another is a shifty-looking figure, a suave elvish man with pointed ears, pale skin, and small horns of rather indeterminate nature.

Miwa makes a small plate up, gets a drink and goes to a quiet spot to watch everyone and wait for someone to approach her. A few do; making small talk now and again. She keeps her nerves in check and tries to be diplomatic. Eventually, though, the elf with the heavy hammer drifts her way with an oddly casual wave? "Oh, hey there."

She nods to him, "Speak shou? high shou?"

The elven shakes her head, "I suppose I could try using magic to make up for that?"

Miwa nods politely not understanding. The elven weaves a couple of spells then speaks some words again. Her speaking sounds like a reasonable facsimile of High Shou now, although clearly not a native speaker's tongue.

"Miwa of Barasume clan, I received a letter. I don't know why. Perhaps entertainment value. I see looks already."

"I think it was more of a general invite...trying to get all the high-class folk together for some reason or another. I am Saehaa Ravenschool, Bladesinger, and it's a pleasure, lady Miwa."

She bows slightly, "There are many people here I never see before, horns, scales, other things part of spirit."

"Aye, seems like the invite drew a bit of a motley crowd. Been out traveling long enough that it doesn't really get to me, though. Mind if I ask what brings you out this general direction?"

"I disobeyed lord. He sends me out on quest to become one with my sword. I have 8 years."

"That sounds like quite a bit of work, to become one with one's weapon in a mere eight years."

I have trained with swords since I was 5 years old. I can do this. If I achieve unity Daimyo will pick a new husband for me and seat me at his table as teacher and general of all his female samurai."

"Aye, starting early always helps. It was good talking with you. but I should go check and see if someone I've been meaning to meet has turned up. Moon's light ward you from shadow."

Miwa bows slightly keeping her eyes on the other woman's. The elven woman heads off with a wave, while Miwa takes her position again watching everyone. Before she can observe much a servant taps her on the shoulder, "The Lord wishes ye to come front and center, milady."

She bows slightly and walks softly to the center of the room in front of the lord of the manor. When she gets to that point she bows slightly before Lord Mayfield. He is an old, fat man in fine robes, like those of a scholar or wizard, although without other accoutrements of such. He carries a sword on his person, but it seems rather out of place on him, all the same, and speaks broken High Shou, probably with the aid of magic as well. "I hope you have been enoying your time here, no?"

"I have met one person. Saihaa. Food and drink is as one would entertain. Thank you Lord for the gracious invitation." She moves her hand closer to her own katana while watching the other guest for their reactions, again wondering why she was invited. She is a bit on edge but tries not to show it.

"It is good that you have been enjoying things so far... I figured that the night could use a bit of... entertainment before the dancing started." As the lord speaks, Saehaa arrives, towed by another servant. She seems a bit baffled as to why she ended up here, but that is cleared up quickly. "I was thinking that the crowd here would enjoy watiching a duel between ye two, if ye would be so kind as to be agreeable to such?"

Miwa looks to him for a moment in disbelief but now understands. He purposely caught her in a matter of her honor. If she refuses. She's a coward. If she takes it up. She becomes entertainment. Just the kind of thing she had supposed when she got the invitation. Her eyes dart to Saehaa, "What does Saihaa say to this?"

Saehaa speaks up after a bit, "I suppose that a first blood match would not be too risky, provided there are a couple of healers about the crowd if things get worse than anticipated..."

Miwa looks back to the lord. He nods, "Ah, I have a healer on retainer, you'll be fine." A couple of servants show Saehaa and Miwa to an impromptu dueling ring in the center of the dance floor.

Miwa walks over to the table and draws out her husband's sword. She kisses the black pommel and sets it down. "I use iaido husband. Perhaps woman will get it." She then walks back and takes a stance hand on her sword ready for a draw.

Saehaa puts her hand on her pick, waiting for the signal. When the servant gives the signal for the duel to begin, Saehaa wastes no time, drawing her pick and giving it a swift, rhythmic twirl to start her bladesong.

Miwa stands like a statue of marble, hand on her pommel. blade still in its sheath. She gages every move the woman makes waiting and calculating where she's going to make her first attack. When the woman comes at her: In one smooth motion she draws and strikes blocking the others weapon. Which is a feint. After sliding off of Miwa's parry she reverses her weapons motion aiming at the other's shoulder but Miwa is already gone. She's backing up like a fencer her hand motioning up and down palm to the floor, saying, "No. no. no." She blinks at the samurai's reaction.

Miwa comes back to her places, offers a slightly different stance based on what she has seen in Saehaa's first attack. She places her hand on her pommel and again waits like a statue. She says, "Yes." locking eyes with her. Waiting for her to come in again.

Saehaa then resumes the attack, her pick moving easily and lightly as if it were a baton being twirled by a performer, sending blows and feints in from various angles to keep Miwa on her toes.

Again, in one smooth distinct motion Miwa draws her sword and arcs it to block the pick this time sensing for any feint, when she's done with that single motion she backs up again sheathing her sword.

Again, this disrupts Saehaa and she goes back to her place. When Miwa comes to hers, Saehaa doesn't let her set. She goes for Miwa's hand from below this time, trying to disrupt her parry.

Miwa aniticpates seeing a tell she draws her blade and swings it up like a pendulum the pommel underneath her wrist. Saehaa's strike again gets parried. Miwa backs up showing all in the crowd her forearm is not cut then does her best to shake off the numbness of the devastating blow. She goes back to the same place and offers Saehaa a different stance hand resting on the pommel of her sheathed sword.

Seahaa returns to her stance, trying a more defensive tack now, waiting for Miwa to try to strike first, eyes on her.

Miwa nods to her. She draws her sword slowly and lifts it up. She slowly approaches Seahaa and non-threateningly places the flat of her blade on her shoulder. She then slowly draws the sword back and places it in its sheath. She goes into stance, so that both are in range of one another.

Saehaa holds her stance, keeping in time and tune of her bladesong with her motions.

Miwa drops to one knee while drawing her sword and again swings in a single folowing motions to the outside of her thigh keeping her wrist ready to continue the swing over her head for a potential block.

Saehaa parries the blow smoothly, her own block flowing into a hard step forward to try to puch Miwa back off the bind.

Miwa takes two steps back and sheaths her sword. Which causes Saehaa to back off as weel. resetting her own stance. Before Miwa goes to stance, she checks the reactions of the crowd never seeing Iaido sword technique before. The crowd seems on edge, tense and quiet, so quiet the silence of the room can be heard.

Miwa goes into stance at the same distance as before. She places her hand on her katana. This time again she initiates the attack. Her blade comes straight out towards Seahass belly and arcs up toward her left shoulder in a wrist twisting power move going for Saehaa's week side. Saehaa brings the butt end of her pick around on the parry of Miwa's slash and before shifting her hand down it to let the head's momentum carry it into a blow aimed at Miwa's front thigh in a move to force Miwa to step back lest her stance get collapsed.

Miwa does take a step back. She paces a moment thinking. Then she goes back into her stance in front of Saehaa. As Miwa and Saehaa both step back slightly as part of this, Saehaa brings her hammer around for another blow while weaving a cantrip with her free hand, sparks engulfing it before turning into a chain of lightning that wraps around Miwa before she can really gather herself again, trying to yank Miwa into Saehaa's hammer blow aimed at Miwa's center mass, using the point of her pick this time.

Miwa turns the pick in a blocking move and goes into a defensive position knowing the Saehaa will no longer participate in the duel as she has ruled out. Saehaa shoves back off the bind again as she lets go of the lash of sparks, the electricity having left its mark of Miwa in the process, then follows up with another combination of blow and spell, this one aimed at head height from one side while weaving an earthen grasp with her other. A had erupting from the grounc and grabbing Miwa's legs.

Miwa meanwhile turns to a backhanded grip flipping her blade around like a fencer going from postition 6 to 1 striking out at Saehaa's hip driving down to her crotch while again going to one knee as an evasion.

Saehaa is forced to pivot away from this, but it's too late as Miwa's blade digs into her thigh. Miwa's evasive moves are no more successful though, the hand getting a hold of Miwa wrenches her back leg, leaving her with no hope of being anywhere but horizonal. Saehaa then backs off. letting go of her spell shortly thereafter, taking some deep breaths. "I suppose we call that a draw...hmm?"

Miwa gets up and bows to her. The lord nods, motioning for the crowd to applaud the two combatants. Miwa goes back to her husband's sword, kisses the pommel and places it beside her own blade in secured within the folds of her odi. The party resumes after the two duelists have concluded, with more libations, and dancing starting.

Miwa sits down and watches the dancers taking her breath from the long dual. A silver scaled half-dragon in a knight's raiment offers her a hand after a while "A dance, mayhap, milady?" She nods at the gesture common enough in any culture. She lets him lead her to the floor. He leads her into a slow dance for a while, clearly no stranger to the floor. The scaled man continues to dance with her for a while before passing her off to another fellow. It's not long though the dances before the party starts to wind down as the night falls.

Miwa breaks off when the crowd dies down and tries to make a quiet exit. She gets offered the hand of one last man before she does so, He is rather unassuming looking like a human courtier in typical fineries and with a short sword at his hip. She doesn't want to be impolite so she dances with him.

The pair dance for a little while, but during a dance move, he tries to throw her to the ground and draw his sword. A couple of other men are pulling weapons at this point as well as several of the remaining guests back up, gasps of shock emerging. Miwa dodges the shove feeling the tension in his arms. She breaks free of him. Pulling her Kaiden out she slashes at his kidney.

The man is driven back by the ferociousness of her attack and the look in her eyes as he sees the bloodlust in her take over. This is not duel it is the life and death struggle of true combat. Something Miwa has trained for all her life. Another of the gang comes at her. She is ready and fully involved in wanting to kill. She slashes at him in moves and combinations he has never see. She connects with his bicep severing it from the tendon. He drops his weapon in a panic blood freely flowing from veins severed along his arm.

This causes the other goons to take as their cue to turn tail and run as well. Miwa runs after the closest to trip him up and capture him for questioning, but shes not quite able to catch him as he seems to disappear into some side passages.

With all the assassins fleeing she goes back and looks for any others in the hall. As she looks around at what guests are left, she feels a prick in the back. She looks down to be greeted by the tip of a thin sword protruding from the bottom of her breasts. The surprise on her face is apparent and the look in her eyes as she dies is the question, why?

She can feel her arms and legs betraying her as a scarlet roses bloom across the front and back of her kimono both, hot breath spilling down the back of her neck as a voice emerges from behind her, "Ah, how beautiful it is to see a scarlet bloom of a maiden's dress."

She drops to her knees, then topples to one side after he pulls the blade free. She can see the face of the horned elven from before, wiping the blood off his blade with a scarlet herchief. Teh rapier glinting dimly in the hall's lighting.

Miwa wakes up in a temple. with the lord Mayfield siding beside her. He speaks in broken high shou. "Almost died on me honorable one. I am so sorry that happened. You stopped them from stealing from the guest, but it seems the ringleader is aquatinted with the art of bending shadows.

Miwa looks down to see her breasts completely wrapped with bandages. She looks up and weakly asks, "Who was the target? Ther must have been a target?

"We don't know. I left a small bit of coin in your bags. Your katanas, and kaiken are safe. I am truly sorry for this, Onna-bugeisha Miwa." He bows his head in respect.

"You are welcome. I will rest."

After a few days Miwa is properly rested and ready to go. She picks up her things and leaves the temple giving the priests the coin lord Mayfield gave her. She continues down the road into the hands of destiny.

CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lord Pylinski walks along the market surveying it, A grey sash wrapped around his waist in open recognition of his service to a Darker lord of shadows. Being the richest man in the town along the golden way he rules, his word is law in this city; Any competitor meeting a dark end down in the sewers once they cause too much trouble for the oligarch. He strolls the area taking note of all the rare things from both east and west that make their way through his city. He buys a few apples from one of the orcish farmers in the area. They speak briefly of the day. The farmer bows slightly when they are finished. Pylinski patting him on the shoulder and moving on. As he continues one of his men come up to him. "Pardon brother shadow? There is a potential problem."

He raises and eyebrow, "Walk with me brother. What stirs the tranquility of our domain?" The two start to walk side by side while his minion explains.

"An Onna-bugeishia has arrived at the gates and checked in at the inn. We are surveilling her now."

She would have a clan badge if Kozakurian, not sure if she is from Wa. Describe her please?"

"She does. Her face is badly scared up. Where's a kimono with three swords and a dagger. There is a badge. I do not recognize it. She's smallish but rounder than most easterners. C-cups for sure. hourglass body. Toned very well and moves well enough in walk and posture to pick up our profession. Looks about all of 19 or 20. Raven hair put up in a traditional bun, dark eyes."

"Three swords not a naginata? offensively trained then very rare. Describe the swords?"

"Two katanas and a wakizashi. One sword and the wakizashi are pommel wrapped red and white. The other katana in black."

"A widow then. Have her scryed by Thaddeus. She may not be a good person but must be somewhat experienced. Be careful. Be discreet. Not all samurai are good and noble. We may just let her go through or may be able to make a deal with her. Especially being this far away from home."

"Aye."

The younger man walks away. Lord Pylinski continues along the market picking up items along the way. Some of the merchants either give him the items outright or pay him a few coins for their tariffs. He collects the bribes and wanders around waiting. The younger man comes back as the sun begins to flirt with the horizon.

"Got the info, Brother."

The older man tells him to continue with a simple nod. " Miwa of the Barasume clan. Trained by her father from age 5. First battle at 14. Became a war prize. Married to Barasume's nephew a week later. Follows the law and code to the letter. Has been in dozens of clan battles for Lord Barasume always surviving with honor. She is particularly bloodthirsty when her sword comes free. They call her the little wolverine. Her husband was lord of 75,000 acres and three villages before his death about a year ago. She was his arm of justice and was particularly brutal about it. Usually applying the maximum sentence. Even found a peasant in their bed one night coming back from campaign. She waited for the woman to get up to relieve herself. Miwa cut off her head and put it on the mantle Then put the body back in the bed for her husband to find.

She disobeyed her Lord when he told her he had another husband in line for her at her husband's funeral. She denied him. He sent her on a quest to the west."

Pylinski rubs his chin, "Not the kind of woman we want in our city in any regard. She's apt to cause trouble. Did Thaddeus find out if the quest is real or not?"

"Yes, it's real. far as Thaddeus found out. Her lord obviously has plans for her if she survives this quest."

"So, she also has something to prove. I think we need to do something about this. Make sure she never finds her way back here." The lord smiles, "Let's throw a party and have some fun."

"Aye, will get everything ready for tomorrow night."

Pylinski starts to make his way home; a sly half smile spread across his lips.

CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa finds another town on her way west and stops for the night. It's still early she goes to a local eatery and tries the western food. She notices the portions are huge. More than she could eat in a full day. She nibbles on some short back ribs and drinks tea watching all the strange people with round eyes. When she returns to the hotel the woman who owns the inn has a package and a letter for her. She takes them and goes to her room. Tossing the package on the bed. She disrobes and goes to the bath area. The women there make a steaming bath for her. She sits in the water and before washing she breaks the seal, reading.

Lady Miwa

I am Lord Pylinski, Mayor of this fair city. I would cordially like to invite you to a party at my mansion this evening. It will be a wonderful event full of dancing, good drink and merriment. I have purchased a western gown and accompaniment for you to wear at the event. Please only where the items in the package. The ball will be in the town hall in the central square.

Sincerely

Lord Mayor Pylinski.

Miwa crumbles the paper up and squeezes it along with squeezing her other hand in a fist. "8 million! How do these people find me! Alright, you have to go. You have to be polite. It's your duty." She scrubs herself up and does her hair. She then heads to her room with a towel wrapped around her body.

When she gets to the room, she opens the package to find a low-cut mid-thigh high dress made of copper scales. sewn into an opaque almost see-through silk. There are high-heel shoes bangles for her arms, hoop earrings, a watch. thigh high hosiery with garters one thicker with a small opening for a dagger. and open crotchless panties.

Her eyes immediately narrow. She seriously considers not going. She looks at the high-heel shoes, "People actually wear these monstrosities? " She sighs again, "I have to go but at least there's a place for my kaiken. She gets everything on with some effort and slides her kaiken within the garter slip. Suddenly the double-bladed dagger turns into a small dull stiletto like blade. She takes it back out and examines it.

She grumbles about having to make a new one, places it back in the garter and walks out and down the street to the party, while tripping over herself here and there in the high heels.

She finds the venue easily enough and walks in the door. She is greeted by a large and elaborately decorated hall with many attendees in fancy clothes of various sorts. She has a moment of paranoia watching and counting the crowd looking for any of those assholes that accosted her in the last party. She sees none of them, unfortunately. She would like to get revenge on the bastards. A dull knife would be the perfect weapon for what she would wish to do to them.

She finds a quiet place to sit staying away from the alcohol. She has a few different men drift by her table, looking to strike up chatter with her and offering to get her drinks. She uses low shou this time because its more common and tells them she doesn't want any drinks right now. She speaks at length about nothing in particular. keeping a respectful distance and taking leave of them when they get too close for comfort. While she's doing all this, she looks to see if the other women are dressed like her.

A few of them are dressed somewhat like her, but their outfits are not quite as revealing. Others are in long gowns and dresses, albeit similarly well-heeled. This again puts her a bit on edge on what this party is all about and her part in the whole affair. She gets up and walks around the perimeter trying to gage the participants as to their professions and general demeanor, trying to accustom herself with the shoes slowly so she doesn't stumble.

The ball looks like a fairly upper-crust sort of party, although with drinks flowing even more freely than the last one. There is plenty of dancing and music, some pairings of folk slipping off into what looks to be back rooms and gardens.

She finds a table full of dry breads, crackers, salted meats and such. She takes a cracker and bites into it finding it so dry she needs a drink. She looks for water or juice to down it, figuring out the gist of the party now. She finds there is punch, wine and liquors. She takes a single glass of wine to wash the cracker down while watching the crowd for any danger. The wine is a fine vintage but rather dry, also strangely enough the more she drinks it, the more she thirsts.

She puts it down vowing silently to herself she's not going to be some westerner's pleasure hole. The tenor of the crowd hasn't changed in the least since she arrived. She shakes her head and tries to wait the dispersion of the crowd so she can make a quiet getaway, while longing for her husband's protective arm to be wrapped around her waist in comfort.

Just as she starts to seek out the small groups of women cajoling at the party for safety the crowd starts to thin out. She makes her way out the door, watchful of other people while she makes her way to the inn by back streets and alleys, stumbling along the way and feeling dizzy. She realizes then the wine must have been drugged. She gets about a third of the way to the inn. in a dark alley, when she hears a faint "phhht" sound and feels a small sting on the inside of her thigh just below her rear end.

She pulls out the dart and exclaims, "SHIT!" in high shou. She sees the trickle of blood oozing down her leg. She tries to quickly ditch the obnoxious shoes, stumbling over her own feet and almost falling. She regains her balance but finds she's starting to lose all feeling in her feet. The dart was also poisoned.

She brings out the stiletto to either defend herself or end herself if she feels consciousness slipping away. Shes barely able to run now having to use the wall to catch herself several times to avoid falling. She can feel the tingling sensation driving up her legs and at the tips of her fingers.

She tries to thrust the stiletto into her own throat, but the muscles in her arms are starting to defy her. It only leaves her with a flesh wound in her neck as the tingling sensation spreads. She stumbles to the ground into a clumsy lurch forward that sends her onto her knees, then onto all fours. A dark figure starts to emerge from the shadows.

In a desperate last attempt, she holds the knife with both hands point to her chest and falls upon it. Her weight sends the dagger directly under her heart to the nerve bundle that controls the whole of her torso. With one last effort she tries to roll to see her assailant. She manages to roll on her back and pull the dagger out. Blood baths the dress but her eyes are already rolled to the back of her head. She makes a crooked smile of victory just before her eyes glaze over. She winds up with her legs spread and her arms bent, hands laying just under her cleavage.

Lord Pylinski brings his hood down and squats studying the dead woman. She looks as if in a peaceful sleep. A crooked smile from her scared face spread across her lips. "Such a waste. I would have like to feel her squirm under my weight. He takes a white rose snugging it between her earlobe and head."

A man with the blow gun comes out of the shadows. "Where do I dump the body, boss?"

"Take her to Lathander's have her raised."

"umm. Say what!"

"We aren't Cyric's or Bane's people, Julian. This woman died innocent. Mask would look down on us for this mess. Besides that, I know a bit about the island people. Don't need a vengeful spirit of an angry husband or a samurai following me everywhere. Looks like she didn't take enough of that wine, or we would be having some fun with her right now. Damn islanders honor is worth more than their lives. Especially these samurai. No we're going to raise her and let her go. She'll leave if she comes back from the dead."

"What if she comes back after a time and tries to kill us all. You did send that letter."

"We'll deal with her differently if that time comes. Listen and learn. We do not kill innocents. It's not our way."

"She committed suicide of her own accord."

"Listen and learn, Julian. She didn't commit suicide as much as she saved her honor. It's different. Now do what I say."

"Alright boss."

Pylinski takes one last look of her alabaster face in perfect peace with herself in her moment of death. Such an odd expression he thinks to himself. Like a deadly predator that knows it's won the battle even knowing its own demise. Such beauty. Julian takes the body and slings it over his shoulder. Pylinski strolls back to his mansion a thoughtful and sullen look upon his face.

CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Miwa awakens under the supervision of priests. She jumps up, yelling in high shou. None of the priests know the language. She sees her chest heavily bandaged and her Kaiken laying on the table beside her now transmuted to its true form. She grabs it up and runs, stumbles out of the church.

Going back to the inn she takes the bandages off. There is a puckered scar in the center of her chest. She sighs, 'It wasn't a dream.' She cleans herself up, puts on her best kimono and goes back to the temple fully armed now.

She starts to talk again. The priest tries to speak to her in common. "Ah good to see you up again, at least."

"What it the temple dedicated too?" He points to the holy symbol of Lathander on the wall.

"A good god then. I think that symbol means a good deity." She walks past him and approaches the alter. "Whoever you are I mean no disgrace but must do something here at this moment. I must also make a choice." She takes three steps back. Takes the black katana out and lays it on the ground in front of her. She takes another step back and goes to her knees. Taking out a small block of wood she places that in front of the katana. Lighting two incense sticks she blows them out, placing them into holes in the block. Then in front of that she takes out her Kaiken and places it in front of the incense block. She bows at the waist until almost touching her head to the ground, her eyes locked on the sheathed katana. "Ryuu..........husband...........I must speak to you."

She stops bowing her eyes still on the katana. "I have been dishonored. I could do nothing about this. Ritual of station has its demands, and I did as was needed. I tried seppuku but it seems was brought back. Yet I feel unclean. I feel I have dishonored your memory for not succeeding.

I feel lost, Ryuu. These foreigners.... They are so evil. Barbarians like none you have ever seen. I am thinking I should join you. Yet I have a mission from father Barasume. I am unsure. She then studies the kaiken lost in thought a moment. She closes her eyes and meditates.

As the incense burns itself out, she picks up the kaiken, unsheathes the blade and set the sheath on the ground. She looks at the katana. "I shall never let this happen again, husband. On my life." She draws the blade across her palm and squeezes it over the incense block. She then sheaths the kaiken and places it in her Odi. She picks up the incense block placing it in a pocket. At last, she takes up the black katana and puts it in its proper place.

She stands, does and about face and walks out of the temple. When she passes the priest, she drops a few coins in his hands saying, "Thank you." She picks up her duffle and continues on her journey toward Peltarch.

CTP team member