The Kozakura Campaign
This forum is for anyone to put their PC's stories down for other servers than Anchorome and Harvestmoon both long dead. Many may read them and get some inspiration for their own characters or for dming from their adventures.
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Re: The Kozakura Campaign

Post by Winterhawk99 »

The next morning Sei is called to tea in a special tearoom at the palace. He arrives and with a deep bow says, “Hello there, Sirs and Madams.”

Kyo is sitting there along with Bunka, Yoshie, Isao, Eri and Ogano. Kyo gets up silently and recognizes the huntsman then sits back down. Sei seats himself in one of the two empty spaces at the table.

Isao stands. He is in a hakama, with long pants and a odi holding his daisho. "Master Falconer. We would like you to tell us the full story of the irregularities of the hunting trip yesterday, if you please."

"Ah. We did have a few unexpected encounters there, yes. First off, we found out that a weretiger family had taken residence in a grove that we commonly hunt in... more or less by inadvertently dropping in on his cub's bedroom! Many apologies were made for that, aye, and I do wish his little one the best for the future" he makes a small smile. Meanwhile Haru wakes Drasta up roughly and drags her out of bed. "Put your best 7 layered kimono on then see Kei. She will make you up. We have been called to tea. She does as asked, getting dressed and seeing Kei.

Ogano asks, "Sei do you think these weretigers would pose a threat taking up territory within our lands?"

"It, as far as I can tell, is limited to the thick grove we encountered them in. The roads through it are too narrow for wagon or handcart use."

Bunka speaks up. "Tigers have very large territories, do they not? I would suspect weretigers near the same."

"That is a point, but there's also a matter of what they consider their...inner sanctum, if you will. The difference between a random patch of the daimyo's land and the inside of this palace, only in their world instead of ours."

Drasta stumbles a couple times going to the castle but does not fall. Haru looks back. "We will correct that. Your next training will be how to wear proper clothes and apply your own makeup."

Haru comes into the room with Drasta a step behind. Haru motions Drasta to stop at the doorway as they wait.
Ogano is the next to say, "As far as you know Sei these weretigers. They are not inherently evil?"

"They are indeed not -- weretigers are generally not evil, but not exactly ones who stick their necks out for folks the way a werebear will either."

Several people including both Sei and Drasta see that when Bunka sees Haru and Drasta the corner of her mouth twitches ever so slightly.

Kyo puts his hand up. "I have heard enough. Sei, I wish for you to approach the leader of this family. Let them know that they reside in Barasume lands and Daimyo Meriado's territory. They will have to register as citizens if they already haven't and cause no ill to the community. We will not break their peace to live in our lands as long as they do not in turn. If they are not registered, they must pay 50 silvers in taxes and their daimyo must assess further their yearly tax. They may give you the receipt for paid takes on the 1st day of the first month if that pleases them not to go into a village."

Sei nods "That sounds satisfactory, aye."

Kyo nods and waits. All eyes turn to Haru and Drasta. Haru begins to walk to the table.
She motions Drasta to follow her. Drasta follows behind her.

Bunka now stands as Haru and Drasta get halfway there. "YOU TWO ARE LATE!"

Haru immediately goes down to her knees and bows keeping her eyes on Bunka, "My apologies general." Drasta does the same but does not speak.

Bunka sneers at Drasta, "Only those with a kaiken may bow formally while still making eye contact. Did you not train this bitch in the simplest of tasks!"

Haru responds, "That will be corrected, my general."

Bunka sits down and Kyo stands. He recognizes the two of you. Haru motions Drasta to take the seat next to Ogano who stares at Drasta a very long time before looking at Isao. Drasta stays quiet and sits.
Isao then asks. "What is the next incident, Sei?"

"The second incident happened during our lunch, when we noticed distant smoke. Our investigation discovered that some ronin, likely lordless or at least inexpert with the blades they were using, had sacked, and burned the wagon of some traveling peasants, killing all but a young girl among them. We took the girl in for now until we can reunite her with someone from her extended family."

"We attempted to give chase to the ronin in question, but they were able to flee for they had swifter horses than ours as well as a bit of a head start."

Isao again speaks, "You saw no Mon on their clothing?'

Eri comments, "She is very pretty." Yoshie stares her down.

"I did not get a particularly close look at the perpetrators of the attack, no."

Isao responds, "So they could be samurai. an encroachment from a bordering shogun or even an ambitious Daimyo?"

"Perhaps, but their inexperience with their blades leads me to believe that they are not exactly well-sanctioned."

Drasta keeps to herself not speaking knowing she is already in trouble.

Isao looks at Haru. "Your assessment?" Haru responds, “I did not get to the scene in time to see the riders. assessing from the wounds they seemed either very ill trained, wanted to prolong the peasants’ agony for fun, or possibly bandits with stolen swords."

Isao looks to Drasta "And you. You were there. What did you observe?"

“It would seem They were not practiced with their weapons, or they were doing so on purpose.”

Isao responds, "And how would you know how a samurai's sword works? Can you wield one? Do you know the intricacies of the finest sword type ever made? This is a question not an accusation."

Drasta pauses a moment, “I have travelled with the ambassador for many months before coming here, I have watched her sword work as she executed it like a fine art....Though I cannot wield one I have respect for how cleanly the blade cuts.”

Isao doesn’t get a chance to speak. Bunka steps in, "I want to know why my Besshikime were caught off guard? Why did they not post a guard on the road? Why they failed in one of their basic duties in the field. And why there is so little intelligence on this incident?" She stares hard at both Drasta and Haru.

Haru stares daggers back at her, "We had come to a shine of peace and under the protection of both the shrine and a priest. A safe place even from brigands. We did not fail in our duty."

Bunka responds, "That is not for you to say. That is for me to determine."

Kyo puts his hand out palm down there is silence. He holds it there for half a minute then returns it. Isao asks, "Is there anything else anyone would like to add about this incident?"

Sei responds, "We saw the smoke from the attack from some distance and responded. The actual attack happened well away from our position." Isao nods.

Yoshie then speaks. "The young girl says her name is Kame and she has no other family. Hideo would wish to take her. I for one disapprove of this. We do not know who this girl is, and she looks to be a peasant therefore unsuitable to be a concubine. Furthermore, Hideo already has two concubines and will be eligible to be married in the next few years."

"Aye. Hideo's passions have overcome his head in that regard. I think that we could find someone in the village she's from who is willing to take her in no? That said, it is a matter of debate whether to have Hideo accompany that trip or not. I could see where it'd be a good learning opportunity, but I am not sure if he'd be able to open his mind enough to accept such at this point."

Eri laughs and says, "The more the merrier." Yoshie shots her a very dark glance.

Bunka is the next to comment, "I don’t see why not. The young heir needs to practice, and we all know young men's stamina and passions. I say it may be good."

Isao is next, "Hideo is lazy. He is 15 and not up to the challenge of the trials by a mile. I would say only and only if he starts attending and making an effort in practice both on and off the field."

he adds. "As of now the young man is an embarrassment. We need something to hold him to his studies."
Sei adds his insights, “It’s less a matter of practice and more a matter of if he can actually grasp what the true lesson of such is, or if he'll let his passion blind him to it."

Ogano is next to speak, "Sei speaks truth. But all must admit that Hideo is impatient, mercurial at times, at times ill-tempered and I will say it…. pampered too much. If he takes another woman there must be repercussions of losing her and his other concubines if he fails in his studies. That could be a good way to settle this."

Kyo finally puts his hand out. "Let us save this discussion for another time. For now, we can gleam nothing from the attack nor its reason. The girl cannot be a concubine but can be a bedwarmer for Hideo. She may live with the concubines seeing she has nowhere else to go. When Hideo marries, he must give her up. Until then she can live comfortably and possibly learn a trade or catch the eye of a samurai as a second wife. I do want her watched to make sure she is no threat. I leave Bunka and her besshikime to that task."

Sei nods slightly, "I was hoping that we would find her another home sooner than that, but if that is not possible for some reason or another..."

Bunka beams at Shogun Barasume then slyly smiles at Haru and Drasta. "So, it shall be my shogun." She bobs her head to him to which he recognizes her.

Isao looks to Sei. "Tell us of this last incident?"

"The final incident was a band of half-a-dozen tigbanua buso that attacked us, closing quite quickly I might add. We were able to form up somewhat, but they basically knifed through the formation, being as hard to take down as they are."

I was unsure of the party strategy, myself, and that delayed my own reaction a bit in addition to causing me to perhaps overreact.

"Yes, we will discuss the overreaction afterward. a few questions then. Was everyone who was scratched or bitten taken care of by the palace priest? And do you think this was a family unit or do you think there may be more an infestation perhaps?"

"I didn't see any signs of further trouble, but I can go out and check the area again if needed. And yes, those who were scratched and bitten were looked after by the priests."

Isao looks to the shogun. Kyo speaks, "If you are to speak with the weretigers I do not want you to be too preoccupied by another affair at the moment. Isao, his samurai, and their apprentices will take care of this matter. Isao take three squads and search all the villages in the area at night. Make sure we have no infestation that may spread to further people." Isao bows.

Sei nods, “That is fair.”

Yoshie suddenly turns and speaks to Drasta. "You understand you do not report to her. You report to Haru or Bunka and in certain situations, me." Unless of course she sends you to find out something she needs in her job." She continues. “It is ultimately your shogun and lady that you must report too. Bunka and Haru are your chain of command. The ambassador of course but only within the job requirements. If she completes her quest things will change but she is still considered an outcast of Barasume for 2 more years. Imperial position or not."
Drasta nods, “It has been told to me many times. I understand how this will work.”

Kyo stands, "That is all we ask for tonight. Rest. Sei thank you for your continued service." He looks at Drasta, "You, young lady have a long day ahead of you but by the end you will be much more observant."
Everyone else stands and bows to Kyo and Yoshie. Kyo and Yoshie recognize everyone and leave together. The others leave Haru, Drasta and Sei in the room.
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

A messenger comes to Sei. He has travel papers for him along with official documents giving him limited authority to investigate the god of the lake and to speak with the weretigers. The papers also give Sei authority to pick people he needs from the palace to form a small party.

He looks over the papers with a nod, “I recon I’ll be traveling lightly for the weretiger trip. Just one or two choice companions will be needed for that. The party for the lake god will likely need to be somewhat larger, though.”

The messenger shrugs, “Not my business.” He leaves the falconer with the paperwork.
The next day, Sei goes to the stables and gets his horse along with another and seeks out Drasta. He finds Her recovering from a hangover and being teased by the others in the besshikime barracks. Sei goes to Haru and bows. “Ah, hello there. If I may pull Drasta aside for a moment, please?”

Drasta shakes her head and looks to Sei bowing, “If Haru is alright with this.”

Haru stands up from her breakfast and recognizes Sei. “What for, Falconer?”

“A small follow-up trip from our last hunt.”

Haru considers his words. “I need more context. Drasta is here for only a few short months and needs much training.”

"Ah. I was thinking she would accompany me on a bit of a diplomatic trip. It was decided that the weretiger family we encountered should be extended an olive branch, and I reckon I should take someone soft of step and relatively in tune with nature like her with me instead of having to deal with traveling alongside someone like Hideo who only sees a battle-challenge.

Haru thinks it over, "She is supposed to have statue duty from dawn to dusk, however it may be good for her integration. I will release her. She can do the punishment…. test when she returns."

Drasta bows to Haru then nods.

Sei bows to Haru, “Thank you.” She recognizes him and turns her attention back to breakfast.”
Drasta asks him, “Shall I gear myself fully then?”

“Aye, do gear yourself, although you’ll only be showing your face if needed for this.” She leaves and collects her things. This takes a few minutes. As she comes back to the main area, she is dressed the same as last but with more blades than before. She also has a rapier and multiple daggers strapped to her torso armor. Haru raises and eyebrow as she is eating but remains silent.

Sie and Drasta come out of the barracks as she does, she sees two horses there. She sighs, “Horses.” She studies them. These horses are shorter by a few hands than most western horses but are sturdier. They look similar to the mountain horses of the west that travel the trails high up.

Sei mounts up, calling for his kestrel who he had left waiting in the wings for a bit, and starts the ride, leading Drasta at a calm pace. The two of them make it to the hollow where the tigers live in a short time and without incident. Drasta’s horse occasionally tries to bite her ankle. She glares at the horse putting a hand on its back scratching it. “Please….”

As they get to the edge of the woods, Sei holds up a hand, signaling the party to stop. "Wait here. I will dismount and set my bird aflight as an overwatch, as this is something I must take on myself -- it is the single most delicate part of this task."

Sei then releases his bird with what looks to be a bit of direction from him. The kestrel takes wing to a high orbit over the hollow as Sei begins to work his way around it on foot before entering, eyes out for the weretiger or any sign of them, papers tucked into the sash at his waist along with his normal equipment.

Drasta waits by the edge of the hollow while Sei moves into the wooded area. He walks about a ½ hour before his bird finds him again and perches on his arm. He addresses it in the language of animals. “Found something, little one?”

“Cave, a four-leg hanging by rope, small human, woman with hand in four leg. Pulls out insides. Woman outside cave, smoke on hill cave is in.” Meanwhile Drasta sits quietly watching the area on guard.

Sei nods and sets the bird back off, then sets off towards the cave cautiously, keeping his eye open for any signs of the others about.

As Sei comes into view, The woman catches his approach at about 30 yards and backs into the cave. He sees a deer that she was cleaning hung up by the entrance. There’s a chimney on the hill above the cave that has smoke coming out of it. The entrance is carved out quite a bit and the floor turns to wood at the threshold. Whatever is in there looks tooled, built, and well maintained. He stops outside the entrance of the cave and raises his right hand after bowing deeply. “Hail, madame. Fear not, for I come in peace.”

He peers into the cave. It’s hard for him to pick up anything with his infravision because of the obvious fireplace in the background but he does pick up two things from two different directions. The first is a low, loud, steady guttural growl from inside the cave that is quite unmistakable for anything else but a pissed off tiger and footsteps behind him.

Sei turns to the footsteps, hand still raised "Hail. Apologies for this, but I come bearing word from the daimyo -- I did not see anyone else about, and it isn't exactly like this hollow has a door one can knock on."

Behind him is the male weretiger in human form. He’s carrying three good sized logs. He tosses them down and crosses his arms, “I thought we had an understanding?”

"I was not...intending for things to work out this way, my apologies." Sei bows to the man deeply. "In any case, I spoke with the local lord about the situation here, and they are willing to let you and yours live here as long as you register as citizenry with lord Barasume as it is his lands, and Daimyo Meriado's, that this hollow is part of. We will not bother you further as long as you do not bother folk outside this hollow. There is a small amount of parchment-work we do need to deal with before I depart, though."

He looks around for a moment. “There is no one with you?”

"I brought one other, and left them at the entrance to this hollow to ensure nobody with darker desires intrudes upon us, if that is acceptable? If you wish them to join me, of course, I can arrange that."

"Bring them. No weapons. The bird stays outside. I will try to calm my wife."

Sei calls his bird back and uses a small quill and inkpot to write a message on a scrap of parchment he ties about its claw, sending the bird off to deliver the message to Drasta. The message reads "Come to cave. Leave sword and bow on horse, at edge."

Drasta receives the message shortly after. She places her bow and rapier along with any other seen blade on the horse and vanishes, walking forward towards the cave and appearing only 15 yards away quickly by the trees.

Sei motions to Drasta to join him and show herself. “I have summoned my companion. She and the bird are the only company with me.” He motions for her to join him.

The man walks around to the entrance blocking it when he sees Drasta just appear out of thin air. The man’s face shows he doesn’t necessarily like what he just saw. “Then come but cause no trouble. She will attack you if you do." He enters the cave.

Drasta seeing the look on his face spurts out, “I am not here to cause trouble.” Sei approaches slowly and calmly.

As they enter the cave, they see it’s dressed up in a wooden frame just like a home. It is rustic but there is a stone fireplace in the back. Beds near it. There is a large table in the center. There are other tables, a washing tub for baths with a small wood burning heater and cupboards lining some of the walls. There’s even a small closet. On one of the larger beds is a crouching 350-pound tiger with three small children in the back. It’s watching the two of them intently. The children are in the corner and holding on to each other. Drasta looks over to the children curiously while Sei bows deeply once again before looking to the man as to guidance as where to sit.

He is standing by the table and motions the two of you to it. He recognizes them with the slightest of bows. Sei seats himself at the table, setting out the parchments and a small inkpad. The man looks to Drasta silently. She looks back at him with no hood and her elongated ears, “Yes?”

“Sit please.” She does.

The man sits down back to the tiger so the tiger can watch the two of them especially their arms. legs and general body movements. The man speaks, "We have never killed a villager. We want no trouble and wish to be left alone."

Sei nods "As long as you and yours put your thumbprints on these papers, we will see to it that you are left alone from here on out, as registered citizens of the daimyo. That said, how long have you been living here? The daimyo levies a tax on all in his lands who do not register, fifty silver a person, and I reckon it would be best to sort that out now, no?"

"I do not see as to why we should. We are no longer fully human. and what do these taxes get us in the first place. We want no benefit from your world. Why would we pay for something when we get nothing?"

"You are as much worthy of being citizens of the Daimyo as anyone else in these lands." small smile "And the taxes help pay for the safekeeping of these lands from those who would wish to take them wholesale; conquering folk are not particularly known for their tolerance of those who are different. With the registration, there will be no need to bother you about such a matter going forward, just need to get the matters of the past straightened out."

The man states in a low voice. "If I give you what you want will you leave us in peace?"

"Aye." Sei nods "In case there's an issue in the future, though, is there say, a tree on the edge I could find again in the future and leave a mark of some sort at that you'd then know to find? Such an arrangement would mean we wouldn't have to go through this again."

The man gets up and goes to a cupboard. Opening the drawer he retrieves a bag. He then comes back and sits down. It’s a small bag. He counts out ten gold coins and twenty silver. When he is done the bag is almost empty. He slides it silently to Sei. Drasta watches curiously.

Sei takes the coins and counts them up, with a nod, making marks on some of the parchments. It might as well be chicken-scratch to a court calligrapher, but it's close enough for government bureaucracy. "Last thing we need is your thumbprint on the parchment here to seal this all" offering the man a small felt scrap dipped in ink he can use to make the print in the appropriate spot.

The man wrestles with the idea for some time and looks back to the tiger and children. The tiger chuffs at him. He puts his thumbprint on the paper. Drasta watches the exchange leaning back in her chair.

Sei nods and puts his own print in another designated spot as if marking his witness to the signature. He then rolls them up and uses a small amount of wax and a signet to seal them before tucking them away "Thank you. I wish you and yours joy and luck for the future." He then rises, motioning to Drasta to rise as well, before bowing the man a deep bow of farewell. Drasta bows to the family then to the children and wife thinking a moment before following.

As the wind changes, both Sei and Drasta pick up a strange scent again similar to a dog. You know it’s not a dog but something related and a scent that is purposely hidden but some form of musk. At that moment a low grow issues from the tiger and it springs past the two of you and to the side. Disappearing as It charges up the side of the hill. Drasta looks to Sei for direction while the man backs up in front of the children to keep them in check.

Sei exclaims, “That's something we should look into as well" to Drasta as he heads out, following both his scent and the tigress' fresh prints.

Drasta turns and follows quickly. The tracks go up the side to the chimney then beyond. They can hear the tigress’s roars and grows clearly giving chase to something that is small running away as fast as it can. The sound suddenly stops, and they can hear the tiger clawing and digging at the ground.

Drasta drops a blade from her wrist, a small dagger. She perks her ears up to try to listen more closely. Sei approaches the situation cautiously. They find the tigress is trying to dig at a hole that has clearly collapsed into the beginnings of a tunnel that would fit nothing bigger than a large badger. As the pair get within its range of detection it stops, runs a few yards, stops and looks back at the two of you menacingly then turns and continues back to the cave.

Drasta turns to Sei, “Perhaps we should question this….”

Sei carefully studies the tunnel more closely, trying to stay clear of the entrance proper. Drasta puts the dagger back into her wrist sleeve and tries to measure if she can crawl into it. She realizes nothing much bigger than a badger would fit. They also find paw prints half destroyed by the tigress trying to get whatever ducked into the hole.

Sei grunts, “Hm. Kitsune, perhaps? Nonetheless, I think we should head back, our job here is done.”

Drasta draws a sylvan protective sigil in the dirt in front of the tunnel entrance and walks to Sei. He leads her back to where they left their horses. The pair begin their journey back home.

As they travel the road back to the palace, they pass several villagers bringing goods to the market or coming back from one of the villages. As they do, they both notice an oddity. An old man is slowly stepping down the road with a walking stick. The oddity is that he wears a daisho and shows the mon of a neighboring clan. It is the Shinto mon. Drasta does not recognize the badge, but Sei does and makes note of it. They make it to the palace near 6pm and stable their horses.

Sei seeks out the administration building while Drasta, interested in the whole affair tags along. Sei finds the proper office and bows to the guards. The guards open the door and tell him to seek out administrator Toyota. Drasta follows behind watching everyone around her carefully.

They find the office and see the official at his desk. Toyota looks up and stands. Sie bows to the man. “Hello there. I have a small amount of paperwork and some back taxes collected to pass along to the daimyo." He then takes out the scrolls and collected coins and counts them out, double-checking to make sure that it's the same coins that came from the weretiger's family.”

He recognizes the pair, “Yes, of course I have the notes sent to me over here. He takes up some papers and motions for Sei to sit across from him. "I see you have two situations so you may keep your travel papers and official documents. I just need the tax money and the documents of residency."

Sei separates the sealed residency papers from the other scrolls that have been wrapped around them and presents them along with the coins.

"You may go falconer. May the 6 million bless you, well done unless any problems arise with these residents."
He bows "Thank you. May they bless you as well" and heads off to tuck in for the night.

Drasta heads back to the barracks and bows to Haru. She recognizes the young elf, "You cannot get out of testing tomorrow. Get a good sleep and prepare yourself."

She chuckles, “I will attempt to do so.”

"Go to sleep, you'll need every bit of your strength and stamina tomorrow."

Drasta walks to her room and places her armor down with the blades almost angrily with a thud as it all slides off.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Drasta is roused out of bed at 3am by Bunka, Haru and all the senior besshikime. Haru tells her to put on an 11 layered kimono and everyone brings her to the open-air palace garden. Around the edges of the garden are columns holding up hallway eaves. Between the pillars are statues of past heroes and heroines of the clan. There are 11 of them and one empty pedestal that holds no statue. The stone platform is a mere 6 inches high and square (18 inches to each side)

Haru orders, “Ok Drasta get on the column and stand.”

Kei and Ume get up there with her. Kei says, “Close your eyes.”

Drasta nods and gets on the platform then asks Kei, “Why would I do this?”

Bunka flatly states, “This is a test trainee.” Drasta nods, closes her eyes listening.

The next thing that happens is Drasta feels something wet being brushed on her face, including her eyebrows and eye lids. Her eyelids are carefully cleaned off. When they are done Haru says, “Now you can open your eyes.”

Drasta opens her eyes looking curious. Haru carefully examines her face with approval and then says, “Now make a stately pose.” Drasta crosses a leg behind the other with her knees behind each and holds her hands together like holding a small stone in them. Haru and Bunka back up and stare at her.

Bunka comments, “I think she should be drawing a yumi.”

Haru looks at her with a funny expression. “That would be an automatic failure. I don’t know anyone that can keep a bow drawn for 12 hours.”

Bunka retorts, “She’s a barbarian. She’ll fail anyway.”

Haru bites back, “Not so long as I have any say about it.” Drasta glares at Bunka. Haru then offers her some berries.

Drasta asks, “What are they?”

“It will help your strength and stamina for a time.”

“Would this be frowned upon if I accept these?”

Haru shakes her head. “Most cannot even attempt this test without. There is no dishonor.”

Bunka sneers, “You did not have to offer.”

Drasta glares at Bunka again then says to Haru, “You see my short coming….” She drifts for a moment and opens her mouth. Haru places two small berries on her tongue. Drasta eats them and feels renewed by the magic of the seeds.

Ogano comes into the garden after she eats the berries. He has a bucket of what looks like thin wet clay, but it glows slightly. He asks, “Is this the pose?”

Bunka replies, “How about a one footed pose.”

Haru retorts, “Please stop it commander for everyone’s sake here.”

Bunka retorts, “I just think it’s too simple.” Drasta just looks between them. Bunka then gets an idea. “We can put her on her knees. It’s a lot easier and that’s where she will be when she fails begging us for a second chance.”

This time everyone except Ogano looks at Bunka with distaste. Ume fumes, “Do not let your own jealousy show Onna-bugeisha! We may be peasants, but we have honor too!”

Bunka stares angerly at the woman, “You will have extra duty for that young lady and so will your commander!”

Ume quietly retorts, “It was worth it.” Bunka turns on her heel and walks out.

Haru gives Drasta a bowl to hold. “Make your pose so that you look both noble and comfortable. Let me know when you are ready.” Drasta holds the bowl in front of her a moment then points her hands in a triangle, fingertips touching under it with her thumbs in back. She moves her legs one in front and a knee behind the other providing balance, feet crossed opposite like a royal bow to be followed with an offer of the bowl. Her eyes looking out pale and gold with slowed breathing similar to a meditative stance.

Ogano comes over. He casts a spell. The thin clay-like substance drifts out of the bowl and slowly covers all Drasta’s clothes, hair, face and everything else that she touches. It then quickly hardens and loses its glow. It becomes like a shell that helps support her in a minor way. The group then leaves her in the garden looking like the rest of the statues just before 6am.

At about 6:30 Bunka comes back in with several of her onna-bugeisha. She has a daikyu. Two of the others have life sized straw man targets. She smiles at Drasta. Girls. Set up the targets just to the left and right of the statue. I need some target practice.” The women set the targes up almost touching Drasta. Bunka goes to the other end of the garden and orders, “One sheath of arrows.” 20 are handed to her.

Drasta slows her breathing even more watching. Bunka draws an arrow and lets fly. It hits the chest of the left target. Drast can hear the impact and feel the shish of the arrow as it hits. The onna-bugeisha draws another. The second barely misses her and goes into the arm of the right target. The next hits the right target near the center of the head.

Bunka shoot the next two arrows in quick succession int each of the targets beside Drasta. Again, there was one very close miss on her. Drasta keeps her eyes trained forward unmoving. She knows combat and has no fear of it. The next 5 arrows hit the other targets but one was so close to Drasta’s ear She thought it may have scratched the clay. She heard no crack so she mused it must not have.

With the next five Bunka shoots only one was close and it crossed Drasta’s other ear again so close that she thought the clay may have cracked but it did not. Bunka, sorely disappointed with herself orders an Onna-bugeisha trainee to her. “Take this bow and shoot the 5 arrows at the targets just beside the statue. If you hit the statue don’t worry. It’s only a statue.” She looks at Drasta with a smile and steps behind the trainee.

Drasta watches, slowly breathing and thinking of the magic of feywild, asking it to protect her in her mind.

The trainee unleashes the last of the arrows. Most hit the targets beside Drasta, however one slices lightly against the clay, but the arrow is moving so fast from the yumi and the strike is so light that it traces a small line across the side of her face without cracking the clay. It looks like a chisel line. Bunka looking disappointed tells the others, “Let’s go girls. I’ve seen enough.”

They all walk out in the direction of the training field. Drasta feels good but still the bowl is slightly heavy. During Bunka’s training session a small crack appeared in her wrist. It is about an inch long.
During this time Sei gets up and begins to get himself together for a trip into town for the day. He puts on his street clothes and decides for a pleasant walk down from the palace.

At about 7:15 am a monk comes into the garden. He rakes the sand and then dusts off all the statues including Drasta. She manages to keep herself from sneezing. After he dusts everything, he suddenly turns around and stares at the new statue. He comes back and looks at the detail of the work scratching his head. Then he sees her eyes. He turns around, takes a step, and turns around again and gives her a wink of his eye.

Sei checks out the main market square first to see if he can overhear anything interesting before he wanders around town. Renkyu has a large open market with lots of foreign goods. Sei knows several merchants here and several he knows that have black market goods hidden near them for those they trust that can buy. He checks in on the various merchants he knows and examines some of their new goods.

Most welcome him with open arms. He is a steady customer, always paying up front for the things he wants. As he is speaking with one of them, he sees a familiar form walk into a tea house. It is an old samurai, probably retired in a plain Happi and trousers and his old daisho fashioned to his odi.

After Sei talks with a few other merchants, Sei swings by the teahouse in question. He goes in giving the old samurai a deep bow. “Good morning.”

The samurai looks around as if looking for someone else or perhaps if you brought any friends. He then stands and bows recognizing the falconer and sits back down. “Do you want something, young man?”

Sei smiles softly "I figured I'd see how things were going for you."

"I am on vacation and enjoying the city. Thank you, young man."

Sei nods and smiles "Good to hear that the city is treating you well. The court has been nothing more than the usual, some of the folks are dealing with bringing a new trainee in but that's neither here nor there."

The man perks up, “Trainee?”

"Ah. Apprentice, perhaps, into a courtly role."

"I had heard something about an outlander coming to the palace. Is this true?"

"I can't really...confirm or deny that. I will say that the trainee is having an... interesting time of things, at least." Sei speaks in a rather...measured tone, as if having to calibrate his words a bit.

The old samurai smiles, "Of course of course. Politics. As you can see young man. I am beyond the politics of the nations and clans."

"Aye, that is something one always is thankful for, being able to be beyond that."

“Yes, yes. Is there anything else then. I would like to relax now with my tea and my thoughts."

"Ah, I will leave you to that" Sei bows deeply to him "Have a pleasant day."

He bobs his head slightly and goes back to his tea. Sei heads out, checking with a few more merchants. As he strolls back to the market the old man comes out of the tea house. He goes up to a young woman also in a plain kimono. He slaps her to the ground and harshly talks to her. He walks away. She gets up and follows him keeping 3 steps behind. They leave the market area for other parts of the city.

At about 9:15 Drasta sees a samurai walk into the garden. He has a mon she recognizes as many at practice have it on. Another samurai walks in from the other side. He has a different mon on. The one with the mon she recognizes is rather young, in his early 30s, the other is old, nearing 60.

The badge she recognizes is one of the border clans of Barasume’s territory: The Nakati clan. The other badge she saw just recently with the out of place samurai along the road, but she cannot place it. She watches carefully, not blinking.

They come to the middle of the garden. Placing their hands on their swords they face off. The younger speaks first. "Daimyo Shinto. What business do you have in Barasume court?"

The older replies, “I have come to see how Lord Barasume is doing. As an ally, I come to both show my respect and friendship by attending court upon occasion." He continues. "Why is the shoguns border dog here when he should be tending to his lands Daimyo Nakari?"

"None of your business old man. There have been raids of late on my territory. They have fled to yours. Want to answer me that question, old man? I would like to hear why the Shinto shelter such ruffians on their lands."

The old man retorts, "Perhaps you know the reason why so many of our stolen cattle seem to show up in your markets. Thus, I could say the same to you Nakari! Don't tell me that they don’t, I have seen Shinto marks on them. Perhaps it is you that hired the ruffians to make it look like they are stealing from you when they are stealing from me at your behest!"

"I am tired of this Shinto stubbornness to not come under Barasume and Nakari rule. You are too weak and frail to uphold your lands anymore independent of the south."

"I'm not a boot licking dog like you, Nakari."

"And yet you are here." Nakari draws his sword and goes into stance. Shinto does the same.

They pace each other for several minutes. each changing stance or counter stance. They pace each other for several minutes. Drasta soaks in the information, quietly watching.

Shinto suddenly sheaths his sword, "It is not the time. Make yourself ready Nakari. any further encroachment on my territory will bring repercussions."

Nakari sheaths his sword, "You have already lost.........Old man." Each backs away out of opposite sides of the garden. They both exit watching each other for any sudden moves.

After about another hour an administrator and several women come into the garden. They put banners and ribbons around it. They seem festive. A pair of women put up a banner saying, “Happy birthday Satashi.” The administrator sees the bowl Drasta is holding and gives one of the girls an order. She takes a big jug and comes over to her. The girl fills the bowl with wine.

Drasta stares outward almost flaring her eyes to scare them away then stops. Even though she is much weighted down now, none of the clay cracks but she feels the weight and 4 hours standing still. The people finish their decorations and leave.

Back in town Sei starts to pack up the things he bought at the merchants when he sees the concubines have come to market. They are buying things they also need for their jobs like new clothes and perfumes. He spots Kame go into the same inn that the old man was visiting. She comes back out shortly afterward. Sei sees her take out her hand to fan her face. As she’s doing so, she puts something in her mouth. Sei can’t tell exactly what it is. It may be taffy because it looks something similar, a square of taffy. She then joins the other girls.
Sei finishes his packing and starts on his walk home. As he does, he wonders about it all.

Between 10-11 the garden is invaded by pigeons. They comb the ground looking for food and perch upon all the statues including Drasta leaving droppings here and there. They leave their presents on her arms, in her hair and dripping down her nose. Some drink some of the wine and get drunk. At 10:45 they all leave except for a single sparrow. The sparrow searches the ground for a good piece of crumb, finds one and eats it. Then it grows and transforms. into the form of a small human.

The woman has a badge on her robes denoting she is a priestess of Namikami. She walks up to Drasta. Taking a towel and wetting it in the wine she cleans the statue up saying, "The goddess has surprised me in the tools she wields at times. Good fortune to you of the fey who guards the guard."

With that she converts back into a sparrow and flies away. Drasta suddenly feels slightly less tired and sore now. Drasta closes her eyes in thanks.

After another hour about 30 people enter the garden. They have all sorts of finger food and teacups. They celebrate and get drunk taking wine out of Drasta's bowl. The party lasted the full hour with the main birthday guy getting quite drunk and kissing everyone including some of the statues. However, he misses Drasta. It may have been because of the pointed ears. Even though she is not tired her strength is starting to wane and she fidgets a bit during the party. A two-inch crack pops along her left side and another crack pops along her back. This one is about 3 inches.

During this time Sei gets home and checks on the Aviary making sure all is well there before spending some time in the afternoon working on his sword play at the practice field. He finds a sick prairie hawk owned by one of the daimyos of the city. He sets about tending to the sick bird.

After thoroughly examining it, he knows what illness the bird has. It’s not contagious but he needs to go down south to a very well-known priest of a nature god in the southwest for the herbs he must have to heal it. They are very rare herbs, and he has none on hand.

Sei pats the bird gently before checking on the rest before he heads to get ready and ride out "Well, guess that'll be a change of plans for me."
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

At about 12:30 Drasta notices a couple of samurai walk in and sit down on a bench. They have lunch plates of sushi and ginger. They begin talking, “Both the Shinto and Nakari lord were at the palace today.”

“Word is they are going at each other’s throats. There will be war soon.”

“It’s reginal unless they bring in allies then the shogun will have to act.”

"I would not want to be in either's shoes. Shinto has better fighters; Nakari has youthful exuberance and lust for power and he’s a cagey son of a bitch."

"The shogun may send his son down to settle the dispute from what I have heard."

"Great! He might lose yet another heir."

"He has Eri now. She’ll breed him several in time." The chamber grows dark as Drasta’s grow cold on this conversation.

The first samurai looks up. "Seems the clouds are gathering, and I’ve finished my fish and rice."

" My money is on Nakari if you're willing to bet."

"I'll think about it."

As the clouds gather the room becomes very dark. Rain starts to fall. The samurai finish their meal quickly and leave the garden.

As Sei goes to the stables to go south picking up the medicine, he needs the guards stop him. One shouts out, “Where are you going, Sei?”

"I am headed south to fetch herbs, one of the birds has taken ill."

The guard considers his words then says, “Might want to talk to someone. The Shogun is looking for people to go south to settle a dispute between an ally and our boarder Daimyo. They say he might assign Hideo to it as his first test of leadership."

Sei smiles and says, “Ah.” He thinks for a bit. He knows the progression of the disease is very slow but eventually deadly and it’s in its first stages. He makes a note to himself regarding the bird issue then turns back. He heads to the keep seeking out someone to speak with about the brewing political storm.

Once inside the palace he searches for an administrator and finds the seneschal of the palace. He bows to him, “Hello there. I heard that there is trouble brewing with our neighbor to the south. Mind filling me in on the details?”

The man recognizes him, “"Ah, Sei. As always somewhere in the land two clans are fighting. Our ally the Shinto clan that buffers us from the other shoguns lands is having a dispute with our own border clan. Shogun Kyo seems to feel his son should negotiate a peace, so we are mounting a small group to do that.”

Sei nods "I reckon it'd be wise for me to join, unless the shogun wishes this to be a test of his son's ability to function on his own."

The seneschal asks Sei, "Do you have business in the south?"

"I do, but it is not terribly urgent. Need to see a priest down there for some herbs for one of the birds in the aviary who has fallen ill."

"Then I see no reason why you should not join. Your knowledge of the outdoors would be appreciated. Do you have a travel pass?"

"I'm fairly sure I have such in among my various scrolls, yes."

The seneschal nods to you, "Good, I'll add you to the logs. You'll be paid 50 gold for your services."

Sei inquires with the seneschal "Do we know what sits at the root of the dispute?"

The seneschal says, "Both are starting indirect hostilities with each other. We do not know who started it, but I would bet Nakari's new young daimyo seeks more power and therefore more territory. Shinto is missing cattle nearly 2 herds. Brigands and ronin seem to be roaming and harassing villages in Nakari and sheltering in Shinto lands. It will all be in the report."

"Noted on the brigandage and missing cattle. Seems like we have to get both sides in the same room and get them to get to the bottom of this."

"I agree in full. What it’s about will be in the papers given to Hideo. He will have to have all the information he can to avert this, and it is Hideo the gods help us."

"I will do the best I can to help him succeed in this."

"My thanks, Falconer."

"One more thing: when does our band plan to depart on this mission?"

"It will depart two days from now at dawn. the trip will take 2 days."

Sei nods "Noted. I'll retire to my form practice for now."

The seneschal recognizes you, "The 8 million protect you, Sei."

Back in the garden the rain lightens up. Drasta sees shogun Barasume enter the garden in his pajamas. He looks up and smiles then goes to the sand pit. He takes off his sandals and wiggles his toes in the sand. He’s in his early 60s now and has white hair. The tire round his waist is small yet he still carries some vigor to himself.

He catches the new statue with the corner of his eye and turns to Drasta. He raises an eyebrow for a moment then smiles. He looks all the way around the garden to make sure no one is there. He then tiptoes out of the room.

15 minutes later he comes back with something behind his back. He shows it first. It’s the most ridiculous thing Drasta ever saw in her life. The hat is a wide brimmed samurai straw hat but the whole top of it is covered in flowers. There are a dozen wires coming out of the flowers about a foot long. On the ends of the wires are paper butterflies. There are also about 40 tassels around the brim, each ending in a giant crocheted honeybee.

He walks over and puts it on her head then with a smirk and giggling to himself he pats it down. He then looks around again to make sure no one saw him and tiptoes back out of the room. Drasta manages to keep her composure and not laugh. None of the clay cracks.

At about 2:30 Hideo and Kame walk into the garden. Kame is all over Hideo as he tells her about the plants, sand, and statues. He stops when he spots Drasta, “I think it’s time to go.”

Kame asks, “Why?”

“See that statue over there. It’s a testing spot for our guard. That’s the new Besshikime recruit. the one with the funny ears."

"Really I want to see; and what’s that ridiculous hat on her head?"

Hideo goes a bit wide eyed, " I think that’s a bad idea Kame. This one we should leave alone."

Drasta trains her eyes on Kame watching but not moving.

Kame, "Oh come on Hideo, it’s not like she can do anything. Let’s take a look." She then whispers in Hideo's ears. There's a definite rise and he begrudgingly agrees. She walks over to the Drasta statue, "What a strange creature. I didn’t know they could become guards."

Hideo standing back a bit just shrugs. "She's my aunties guard if she makes it. Auntie is Barasume by marriage not by blood."

"So, she’s still part of the family?"

Drasta blackens her eyes and looks to Kame.

Hideo nods, "at least until she returns passes her quest test and my father marries her off again, maybe to another clan but most likely not."

Kame thinks a moment then asks, “Why is that?”

Hideo swallows hard, "Because she was one of the best, at least until her last battle. She was drained by a rival. Father had to send her away, so no one knew she had............taken a fall so to speak. She’s a pure hellion. Most were more afraid of her than the shogun himself. She has taken hundreds of heads in battle, maybe more."

Kame still looking at Drasta says, "An Onna-Musha?"

Hideo nods, “And an Onna-bugeisha.”

Kame, "Why would an Onna-Musha need a besshikime if she is so lethal?"

"They say no matter how good you are you always need someone guarding your back. I think it’s just more samurai bullshit but someday I will be shogun and will have to bow to tradition like everyone else."

Drasta shifts her blackened eyes to Hideo and stares at him.

Kame reacts oddly, "If you are to be shogun should you not train more?"

"It’s all bullshit and when I become shogun, I'll have many guards to protect me. I don’t know. the training is so boring anyway but then again I have you, Suzu and Etsuko."

Kame turns around but before she does, she gets a mischievous smile, "You don’t need Suzu and Etsuko. I can satisfy all your needs my heir."

Drasta shifts the shadows in the room as she stares outward.

Hideo winces. "Let’s go were talking too much. I don’t like anything to do with this situation."

Kame narrows her eyes, "What situation?"

Hideo looks up at the statue of Drasta, "A situation that should not be said here. Now what were you saying you were going to do?" Kame grins. Hideo smiles and continues, "Ok back to the concubine hall with us." The couple make their way out quickly, Hideo looking over his shoulder for something he cannot see.
After what seems like forever for Drasta, an older Onni-bugeisha enters the garden. She only has a kaiken nestled in her odi and she carries a large bag with her. She opens the bag and draws out several balls of silk. The woman weaves the silk into rough patches and then coats them with a sticky substance.

Mika, a senior besshikime comes into the room and sits down beside her. The onna-bugeisha takes a towel out of the bag and wipes her hand clean then offers it to Mika. She takes it and holds it then puts her head on the woman's shoulder. Mika is the first to speak. "You're leaving?"

"I have to go back to my husband and children. My training is done for the year."

"I don’t want you to leave."

"Mika, I have to. I have duties too. Our lives are to serve until we can no more. I have a husband and children to watch over. You have your family here."

"I don’t like my family. They are vicious creatures."

"If you look hard enough, you'll find the goodness in most. Even the most brutal. I did. Sometimes it is the most brutal of people that are the most loyal to those above them and the ones below them. Sometimes the most brutal are the most charitable of souls but you must let them in, Mika. You must let them in."
" I can't I just can’t do this for my own protection and others. I can't."

The woman releases her hand from Mika and wraps it around her head, "Someday you will because someday you must depend on those around you. You've never really seen battle or full-scale war. Someday you will learn this." The woman kisses Mika's forehead." She continues, “, "Go now. You'll be on duty soon protecting those pampered whores. I don't want you to see me leave and start anything like you did last year."

Mika breaks away and leaves. After she leaves the onna-bugeisha sighs and continues making her patches for 1/2 hour then she packs up and leaves too."

At about 4pm Sei heads down to the gardens to see what’s up with Drasta. She sees him enter the chamber but also sees Kame enter from the other side. She sits down away from her statue but facing her. There Kame doesn’t say anything. She just stares at her. The gears in her head seem to be turning.

Sei notices Kame in the background as he walks up to Drasta in statue form. The clay has several cracks in it but not too badly. Sei has seen a lot worse.

Drasta uses her knowledge of shadow to watch them both. She slowly breaths. Sei stands and observes from a distance, not speaking yet. Drasta closes her eyes returning them to seeing normally, her breath slowing more as she watches him.

Several hummingbirds descend to the garden to collect nectar. Some of the males as usual fight for the best flower in the garden. They start fights that get somewhat vicious as the birds fence and perform buzzing fly-bys against their rivals.

Drasta smiles seeing the birds for the first time. Sei is surprised because he has never seen her smile before. Her lips crack a bit as she does.

After about 10 minutes the two of them hear a squeak coming from Kame’s direction. She stands and tries to swat at one of the birds. The rest gather and they fly over to protect the one interested in her.

Kame yelps several times and connects with one of the birds. It falls to the ground. The rest of the birds abandon the attack and fly away. She picks up the bird, even without thinking, and does something strange. She eats it. She then remembers where she is and looks at the two of you. She flees the garden.

Sei blinks a bit at the scene, then approaches Drasta "You're doing well, keep it up, it's not long until the evening." Leaving her with those words of encouragement as he departs to practice his own forms in the waning light. Drasta closes her eyes to him in some respect as best she can.

At 5 o’clock bees attracted to the flowers now descend upon the garden, but they smell the sweet flowers in Drasta’s hat and several dozen descend upon her.

As the bees’ swarm around her hat and herself, she slightly loses her self-control even though they cannot sting her. A crack pop on the back of her calf about 4 inches long.

Just before the girls are supposed to come see how Drasta is doing, Yoshie shows up. Drasta watches her eyes open and not tired. Yoshie is in an elegant kimono and walks around the garden. It isn’t long before she spots Drasta in her ridiculous hat.

She sighs, "Kyo damn it. She walks over and takes the hat off your head. She looks into Drasta’s eyes for a moment, then at the hat. She then looks at Drasta again and puts her finger up to her lips. "Shush!" She leaves the room with a dignified grace, Had behind her back.

The girls come in Haru in the lead. She orders, “"Drasta keep your stance while we inspect you."

Haru, Kei and Ume go over her whole body looking at the cracks. Ume comments, "Quite impressive for the first time."

Kei nods in agreement. Haru agrees. "I did not expect this. I expected large chips on the floor and cracks all over, but this is only half the test."

Ume agrees, "Let us see what she tells us and what she does not or cannot remember."

Bunka then steps into the garden. "Hold! I want to see this one." They all bow to her; she curtly bows back. Drasta looks at Bunka staying still.

Bunka inspects Drasta. Her mouth twists to an uncomfortable frown. She does an about face and leaves grumbling for she cannot deny how good Drasta did. Haru looks at her. “Ok. You can come back home and clean up in the bath. then report to me.”

Drasta yells out, “Next time…. Just hit me with that arrow!”

Haru looks at her oddly for a moment. "I guess I will find out what that was all about. come on you are free from duty tomorrow a reward as long as you have good information." Kei takes the bowl half filled with wine out of her hands.

Drasta draws her eyes to where Bunka left a moment and walks off more elegantly than anyone has ever seen her. As she does, she suddenly turns to Haru, “What is it you think I am….”

“You are a woman, Drasta. That is all I care about. Only women can be besshikime. Ther reason is clear. At least I hope it’s clear to you.”

Drasta sighs and states outwardly, “Hummingbird.”

Haru shoots her a dangerous look, “Have you figured it out yet, then?”

She raises and eyebrow, “Do you ask if I have figured her out…”

“It should be easy. Who is Bunka?”

“Keeper of status of the Onna.”

“Bunka is the Shogun’s general for all fighting women within his realm.”

Drasta places her hand on her hood pulling it back showing her elongated ears.

Haru continues not even distracted and ignoring her ears. "Now what did Shogun Barasume promise Miwa Gozen if she completes her quest?"

“There are things i do not agree on.... yet...She is given a life among her people.... A family even....” She sighs slightly I told her I would protect even her grandchildren if I was able....”

"Kyo promised Miwa that she would be made general of all his women if she returns successful. that either means a challenge or Bunka will have to abdicate. If there's a challenge it will be a slaughter within minutes or even seconds. and Bunka knows it."

“Miwa...my wolverine...I still feel her in the void... Half of me is trying to keep her strong...
cackles a bit madly Yes.”

Haru thinks about this and responds, “If there is anyone that will make it its Miwa. The bitch is too stubborn to die."

Drasta chuckles laughing loudly. “And yet she grants me your training mistress.”
“I know how to make besshikimes.”

“Miwa is.... looks down sadly I miss her....”

Frustrated Haru orders, “Get your ass to the bath and relax. I'll debrief you after you cleaned up.”
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Drasta enters the bathing area and wipes a tear from her eye calmly breathing. She sits in the bath and slips under the water to the floor. Akira another besshikime is right behind. She looks down in the tube and intakes a breath. She rushes in trying to pull Drasta out saying to herself, “What the hell!”

She pulls the young elf out and asks, “What are you doing Drasta!?” It looks like you were trying to drown yourself!”

Drasta doesn’t respond right away. When she does, she says, “Speaking to the world… or dying…” Then she chuckles and uses her shadow ability to disappear and reappear behind Akira. Akira turns around goes wide-eyed and flees from the bath with nothing on but a towel. Drasta gets back into the bath enjoying the hot water for the first time in ages. When she is finished, she puts a towel on and exits the bath house returning to the barracks.

After she has had time to dress, Haru immediately calls her to her office. Haru is stone faced and pale. She simply says, “Sit!” Then paces the room for several moments before speaking.

Drasta sits down watching her. She says, “You are thinking… This makes me concerned.”

She stops seeming now gathered by her thoughts. “Before I debrief you, I have some questions. Some serious questions. The first is how long have you been practicing ninjitsu and how long have you studied?”

Drasta arches and eyebrow, “Explain. I am not from your lands.”

“There are secret clans in Kozakura. The ninja. They are assassins, saboteurs, revolutionaries. They practice the art of Ninjitsu, the use of fighting within shadow, of using shadow to beguile others so they can kill them more efficiently. They are the samurai's deadliest enemies above and beyond even the clan wars.”

Drasta snatches an illusionary hand out of the darkness then chokes it out, “I see.”

“Where did you learn this?”

“I was fourteen when the shadows freed me.” She smirks and twists them showing her story. “He took me from my parents….”

“Why didn’t Miwa kill you as soon as she knew you know ninjitsu. Any samurai or onna-bugeshia would in an instant without remorse or mercy?”

“I am… something else…” she looks across the room uncertain. Then shifts her form through shadow behind Haru. “Many could have killed me… They have also tried to… She is one of the first I have protected.”

Haru clearly upset says, “I am your commanding officer. Sit back down in your chair and face me like a woman and cut this out! It’s not helping you. Those with the deepest scars. Damn it! It had to be the scars.”
“I am not here to cause a show. I am here to learn.”

“You’ve put me in a bad position.”

“Forget what you have seen then.”

“I will tell you this Drasta. Forget what you know of shadow until you leave this place. Remember what I have said. Anyone catches you: Its case closed. Luckily it was Akira that caught you and not Bunka.”

“… I see…”

“I will continue your training if and only if I have your promise not to use shadow. In the west do what you want. Here don’t just don’t. If anyone finds out I or Akira knows. Know that we will be killed too.”
Drasta pulls a stone from her necklace and hands it over to Haru. She accepts it and takes a moment to breath. “Now what happened between 6am and 7?”

The rest of the debrief does not go well. Drasta has some mix up about instances in the garden. Some she gets right but some wrong. Haru is not pleased and stops mid-meeting. She exclaims, “Tell you what sleep on it then well go over this again tomorrow hour by hour. Drasta, you need to concentrate more and set yourself to the task each one in order. Going further ahead of this debrief then back only confuses me. Now go get some rest. We’ll start again tomorrow.

Drasta leaves for bed. Haru herself looks out the window. “It seems she has the same deficiencies on information gathering than her mistress. Perhaps not. I’ll try to work on it with her. Perhaps she is just tired. Barasume Miwa would never have been a good informant and will never have the aptitude for it.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

One the appointed day of the mission Haru gathers everyone up in formation outside the besshikime barracks. Sei shows up at Haru’s gathering and bows to her. “Ah, Hello there?”

She turns to Sei. “Yes?”

“If you had something to go over with them, do so, but afterwards, I was hoping to pull some people together for an expedition.

“This has to do with Hideo I take it?” Meanwhile Hideo shows up himself.

Sei bows to the young man and goes back to Haru. “Not necessarily Hideo. I was hoping to get a group together for the fishing-God trip. But if the issue in the south needs to be resolved first, that is fine.”

Hideo looks at his polished nails and smiles. He looks at Sei, “I do not see why we cannot do both. I will require Etsuko and Kame for the trip. We all need our luxuries of course. Furthermore, I trust your judgement on which to attend to first.”

Haru turns to the women. I need two volunteers from the general six of you who guard the concubines.” She marches down the line looking at each one of them. Hiromy, Cho, and Mika all bow to volunteer.”

Haru gives her orders, “Mika! Hiromy! You are assigned.” She chews her lip a second looking at Drasta. “Drasta! Come back to the office with me. The rest of you hold your positions.” She walks back to the office.

Drasta nods and follows. Once there Haru crosses her hands behind her back and looks out the window. “Like your mistress you seem to have proven a……. lack of attention to detail, Drasta. If I send you on this mission, I will need your eyes and ears open. I need to know what is going on in detail. Do you understand?”

“I do understand this now… I will keep my notes as tidy and direct as possible.”

“Do not fail me. Do not fail your Shogun.”

Drasta bows, “Indeed.”

"Alright, I expect you to cram as much training in along the road too. If you succeed in this perhaps, just perhaps you may take the next step. Understand this Drasta. I'm very close to taking one of your ears as punishment. This is not a game. It is life and death at this high a political level. Succeed if not for Kyo, if not for me, then for your matron. You will be her eyes and ears in the future."

Drasta perks an ear slightly with a curious look. Haru still looking out says, “Your dismissed back to formation. Mika will be the lead on this venture for you and Hiromy.” Drasta returns with the other girls.

Haru gathers herself and returns to the head of the formation. She bows to Hideo. Kame and Etsuko come out dressed in their finest and painted faces. positioning themselves behind Hideo. Haru calls out. Mika, Hiromy, Drasta. You are to guard the concubines while Hideo travels. Come back with your heads or die with honor." Mika and Hiromy step out and to the sides of the concubines. Mika motions Drasta behind them. Drasta nods and takes her place.

Hideo turns to Sei and waits while Samo and a new samurai show up. His name is Kenshin. Samo has several wine skins and a smile on his face.

Sei steps up bowing formally to Hideo. “I will join.”

Hideo smiles, “Where shall we go first, Falconer?”

“Ah. I was kind of thinking that the trip south may have some urgency to it given that a well-timed intervention could prevent war…”

Hideo thinks for a moment then asks, “To Nakari or Shinto lands?”

"Whichever is closer, it sounds like we'll be doing a bit of back-and-forth diplomacy in either case no?"
"Shinto is beyond our borders in another shogun’s land, Nakari is our daimyo, so it is to Nakari then Shinto just beyond his lands. We will ride then."

Sei nods, "Nakari it is."

The group starts off with 10 attendants for the shogun’s son and his women. They ride in a litter while everyone else guards it.

Sei rides close to the front, his bird overhead. Drasta stays towards the back watching and listening. It becomes a 3-day ride because of the litter. As night is about to come Mika mentions they are in Daimyo Yamamoto’s land and that the group may seek shelter at his household.

Sei laughs, "That's probably as fair as anything given the size of our party. Trying to manage camping would probably aggravate Hideo."

Drasta adds from the back, “Indeed it would be more practical.”

The party turns off to a small village and go through it. Then they climb a small hill with a large villa-like structure on top. Along the way there are many huge greenhouse-like buildings. Though they are quite foreign to Drasta everyone else knows they are silkworm farms. She studies them, “Curious buildings.”

Sei informs her, “Silkworm farms.”

Two guards meet them at the edge of the property. One of them raises his voice, “Halt! Who goes this late in the eve!” Drasta watches them carefully.

Sei bows to the guard, “Hello there. We are with Barasume, traveling southward to try to stop the trouble with clans south of ye, and seeking shelter on our journey.”

The guard recognizes him. “The Shogun visits!?”

“His son and accompanying party.”

Hideo steps out of the litter in a robe drying his hands and walks up, "Yes, I am Barasume Hideo. I need rest and hospitality for my people. We are going to Lord Nakari's lands to handle discussions. Now be a good boy and alert Daimyo Yamamoto of our arrival." He hands the tow to Kenshin.

The guard seems immediately angry but turns to the other. “Alert the Daimyo that the Shogun's very young son wishes hospitality."

The other turns and rides down the road. He turns back to Hideo, "As you wish........My lord."

Hideo turns around, does a lazy stretch, and returns to the little. The samurai stares at him the whole time making both Samo and Kenshin slightly nervous.

The guard loots back at Sei, "You will be welcomed when my comrade returns. Until then wait here." Drasta bows deeply to them as they approach for inspection, keeping her head down a moment. The other guard comes back in the meanwhile. When the inspection is finished the lead guard takes the front beside Sei. He leads them to the villa. An older man and younger woman are standing to introduce themselves.

Sei stops and bows deeply. The man says, “Welcome to our home representatives of Shogun Barasume.”

Both Drasta and Sei notice that as Mika’s and the wife’s eyes meet for just a second, they see Mika’s face suddenly flush for a moment before she gets control of herself. Drasta notices the whole interaction between the two women. Sei only noticed Mika’s face. He doesn’t know why.

Before anything else happens the dogs of the family suddenly rush the litter. Six akitas start to bark and claw at it. Hideo distraught looks at the Daimyo, "CONTROL YOUR DOGS! Eto!” Several samurai latch onto the dogs by the scruff of the neck and drag them back to the kennels.” Sei joins in on the dog-corralling job, mentioning, "Quite the excitable bunch I see" referring to the puppers.”

Drasta holds ready watching the dogs. While Sei easily calms them and leads them to the kennels. "Now. Now. there's no need to get bent out of shape, it’s just new peoples, I'm sure you'll get to meet them soon" whispering to the doggos. The Daimyo’s men are very thankful to him.

The wife startles and puts her hand on her husband’s shoulder. "I'll make sure the tea is ready, husband." She leaves, into the home.

Hideo looks in the kennels direction. "That was unwise. This will be reported to my father then looks back to Yamamoto."

Sei looks back to Hideo "I reckon they were merely overly excited, there is no need to get upset.”

Yamamoto bows, "My sincere apologies, Young master. The dogs are hunting dogs high strung and temperamental."

Hideo thinks, "Have my women to my room, Daimyo and we may continue. I am ravished from the hard journey." Drasta smirks a bit.

The group is brought into the house. There is a feast set up. The Daimyo is seated at the head of the table with his wife to the left and Hideo to the right. Samo and Kenshin are seated next to him. Mika is seated next to the wife and then Hiromy and Drasta beside her. Sei is seated at the end of Drasta.

You have tea and a grand feast of fish, rice, and some wild boar soup. There is Fugu brought out for the more adventurous of participants. Both the husband and wife eat the sashimi, Samo, Mika, Kenshin sneer and push their plates away from themselves. saying they don't want to gamble with death this day. Hiromy also pushes the plate away. What do Sei and Drasta do?

Drasta looks at the plate and picks up a slice of the thin raw fish looking over it curiously then looks to Sei who is digging into the feast. She shrugs and takes a bite of it. It tastes fairly bland without sauce, and she makes a face. “It needs sauce.”

Sei laughs almost losing his food. “It’s on your plate.”

She dips the next slice into the sauce and tastes it again. She nods, “better.”

After a moment she feels nothing. Sei becomes a little disappointed because he knows what it is. The cook dressed it too well. The food doesn’t make his lips tingle, nor does it have its usual euphoric effect from the tetrodotoxin.

After everyone is finished, The Daimyo leans back after the meal, "So what brings such illustrious representatives to my home?"

Hideo smirks, "It's just a rest stop, Eto. I'll take my leave and rest after this hard journey?"

Samo looks over at him, " My lord…. Perhaps stay and learn of the Yamamoto lands?"

Hideo laughs, " There will be time for that tomorrow. I need my beauty sleep." He gets up without adieu and leaves."

Drasta watches him go then looks to Mika for direction. She just shakes her head.

Eto grunts his displeasure at Hideo and motions Sei to take his seat. Meanwhile Samo and Kenshin stand. Samo bows to the Daimyo. "My apologies lord Yamamoto." Eto nods and recognizes him with a slight nod and the two samurai leave. Mika loots to Hiromy and Drasta. They will take the first shift. You two will relieve them at high moon."

Sei takes the offered seat while Drasta and Hiromy nod to Mika. Again, Eto asks, “What brings a shogun’s party to my home?” While waiting for an answer he turns to Drasta. “You are different. Not human, strange but not that unusual. An elven from the west, correct?”

Drasta thinks for a moment. “I believe you are the first to ask this as a question.”

"There are few of your kind in our country, yet they are not unknown. Strange and mysterious as would one of our non-human residents if come to your side of the world."

Drasta pulls her hood back all the way along with her hair exposing the full length of her ears. “I am in some for elven.... It is complicated further than that though.”

Sei suddenly gains his gravity. "Ah. We figured it would be better to rest for the night with ye than to try to manage a rough camp with the party we have."

“Ah yes, I have heard of the Shoguns Falconer. They say you are a steady man and good trainer of birds. But what is your mission if I may ask." Then he turns to Drasta, “How do you like the hospitality of this new land Kozakura?"

Sei nods "We are headed further south to try to head off conflict there."

Drasta continues her side of the conversation. “The training is a challenge...I find certain skills of my own I do not use to be tested and the skills I have not fully in some ways.”

He nods Grimly to Sei, "We have heard of some conflict between Nakari and Shinto. I could have my wife's calvary escort you through our lands to Nakari lands if you wish."

His wife speaks up, "I assume you are training as a Besshikime. It’s a different set of skills from a samurai. Some would say much harder, some easier. It is an important profession though."

Drasta looks over to the wife. “I feel I have been learning quickly. Perhaps being near 100 years old helps this.

"How do you retain your youthfulness?" The Daimyo asks?

“It is a curse and a gift....”

The Daimyo laughs, "tangled yourself up with a wu-jen or a kami Humm. That may not be so good."
Drasta raises and eyebrow and chuckles, “no nothing along that line.”

His wife adds, "My calvary is one of the most celebrated and honored in the Shogun's lands. You will not have any trouble while we watch over you."

The Daimyo smiles at his wife, "It is true, and she has given me 5 children. I am proud of my Silkworm."
“The elven kind just have longevity by nature...I have met some of their kind who are far older than I am.”
Eto muses, “"So, you naturally grow older much slower than we humans? How old does one of your kind get before you succumb to old age?"

“I believe near a thousand of your years.... They do grow old slowly.”

Sei bows to the wife, “And the cavalry escort would be appreciated, Thank you.”

The wife bobs her head slightly to Sei. then looks at her husband, "My Husband, May I take the head Besshikime to see our farms?"

Eto looks to Mika, "You have your papers young lady." Mika digs through her pack and brings out some papers. " I do."

the Daimyo pats his wife's hand, "You may go. Say good night to the children before you come to bed."

The wife and Mika leave after proper honorifics. the Daimyo turns to those left. "It is traditional for guests to tell a story about their homes to their host. Falconer, you are Sho Lin are you not? Do you have a story?"

"Hm, a story of my home..."

"Your home, your past. Let us know something about these things with a story, yes."

"Ah...it has been a while.... "I'm from the high mountains on the mainland, so we had an... interesting time with the winds and trying to get things to grow. Once managed to plant an acorn in a plot we had and get it to sprout...only to wind up with a tree that barely came up to my waist."

"Something like a bonsai tree then. How did your people subside?"

"Mostly herding of sheep and goats, they're pretty effective at turning the grasses and low plants we couldn't eat into things we could. That, and we did manage to get some crops going, just had a rather limited selection."

Drasta comments, “They do make great cheese.”

Eto nods, "Highly industrious but also very hard work. Why did you leave your lands for this one?"

“Wanderlust, I reckon.”

He nods and turns to Drasta, "Do you have a story about your homeland or yourself young elven?"

Drasta arches a brow, “I do not have much to say of my once called home.”

“Of yourself then?”

“My travels?” Thinks for some time I have found knowledge traveling these lands to the East and west both dangerous I have fought my whole life to be where I am yet...Now....I am in training."

"So, tell us about this knowledge and your travels."

“I have dealt deals with demons and removed them, followed shadows and failed in their path yet...now I train to make my ears and eyes in service to her.” She chuckles, “Even the elves hate me in some places for what I have learned.”

The Daimyo chuckles too, "Yes Noblewomen and concubines many also noblewomen who are 3rd and 4th daughters. They are flowers to be protected in all ways. If I could afford it and she was affordable to it, I would have one or two in my service. Alas she is still young and thinks herself invincible, but she is still a delicate flower, at least in my eyes no matter the training."

“I do not know who you mean.” Looks curiously but stops a moment.”

“I am speaking of my wife of course. She is a knight in her own right still she would have advantages with someone to watch over her.”

“Do you know who I speak of?”

"There are so many noblewomen and concubines on Barasume lands I would have no idea who your patroness or daimyo who wants you trained would be. It is good enough to know any who would want your services are willing to accept you into the Besshikime ranks. Perhaps one day you will find a young Samurai who would want you and your children to become part of the greater government in some fashion. In a generation or two your decedents’ noblemen and women."

Drasta snickers a bit lightly. “I am sure Hummingbird would find this delightful. To think I would marry a man.” Gestures to Sei.

"I think she would find it delightful indeed. She is Drasta's...matron, if you will, in a sense, the one who brought her to pursue her current path."

“Indeed, Miwa would find a good laugh here.”

"Ah, my wife is now in charge of her old calvary unit. It is uncommon for a woman to marry another here but there is no shame in it. Nor a man marrying another man. Most women are given to men so they may make a family then often seek out those of the same sex for comfort with permission from their husbands.

For men most marry to produce children then if in need seek out the young men of the theater or if they are samurai have relations with their apprentices. You will find our society is very free about this. The only taboo we have is for a married woman seeing a man. if they are caught the sentence is harsh."

Drasta states soberly, “This I have learned before coming to this land.” She looks at him. “You have more questions?”

"No, I am satisfied, and your group must be tired. I'll have my men take you to your rooms for the night. I will await my wife. thank you all for being polite guests." He stands, bows and leaves.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

After dinner, Drasta studies the compound. The place is a large Villa with about a dozen sleeping rooms, two dining rooms and kitchens. Most times the second ones go unused. There are six large silk barns on the property. The group is in the silk hub of the empire and the Yamamoto’s seemed to be important in this industry. Once satisfied She goes to find Mika and report.

She finds the head besshikime undressing in a room provided for her from more formal clothing to her light armor. She has all the special besshikime tools she is putting on her body. She waits for Mika in the shadows to dress fully waiting for her to notice her. While Mika is putting poison on her hair pins and expertly tying them up without touching the poisons she speaks, “What did the commander tell you about certain talents, Drasta?”

“Each of us are dangerous to our own abilities Mika… I show myself because I want to. I have come to tell you I will not speak of this unless it is necessary. I only have one question before I leave.”

“I will be with the concubines. Hiromy will be stationed at the door. You should be too, but I will allow you to roam. You understand the punishment if you get caught. And you know I cannot help you. In fact, it will be me that slices your neck if you do get caught. What is the question?”

“You love her, yes?”

"Her husband is very old Drasta. Lady Yamamoto needs someone nearer her age for comfort sometimes and everyone understands this. She’s a heroin of our land and one of the best field medics in the Shoguns army. I too need comfort at times. It's legal and we find comfort in each other. Otherwise, it isn’t anyone's business but ours and our husbands who give us their permission."

Drasta nods, “I will push no further. You may find me posted on the roof watching. Again, I will not say anything on this.”

“I have to go to my post now. I expect you at yours come midnight.” When Drasta leaves Mika sighs and whispers to herself. “Westerners.”

Drasta finds her way to the top of the building. She posts on the roof watching and listening.

Sei tends to his bird and does a bit of practicing outside near the oil lamps lit on the porch. When he goes to his room a young woman of 16 or 17 is waiting for him. As he opens the door she bows and waits. He addresses the young girl with a bow. “Hello there madame, is there something you need?”

“I am here to wash clothes, give you a path or provide you comfort, master Falconer. I am at your disposal in whatever you wish.”

“Ah. Thank you for the hospitality, but I have no need.”

She bows and leaves.

Between 3 and 4 in the morning Sei is awakened by a shuffling sound in the next room near the outside wall. At the same time Drasta on duty at the roof sees what seems to be 5 samurai leading their horses along the edge of the woods. They are all holding their mounts noses down which is not the way Miwa leads her horse. She always led it with the bit ring. They stop exactly opposite of the concubine’s room.

Sei doesn’t immediately react. He listens for any signs of an alarm call. He doesn’t hear the call. Instead, He hears a slight sliding sound in the other room on the outside wall. It is quite soft like fabric sliding against wood.

Drasta begins to silently go across the roof to alert Hiromy. As she does, she spots something at the window. It looks like flower petals are coming out of the window and floating silently to the ground. It goes on for several minutes then she hears a slight tick of something small dropping to the ground outside. She stops dead in her tracks and watches the window with her bow in hand attempting to stomp her food on the roof tiles to by chance alert anyone close.

Sei gets up and looks out the window.

Between Drasta stomping on the roof and Sei looking out the window the five men know they are being watched. They back up into the woods but one of them points to the window where the concubines are. A figure comes out of the forest. This one looks to Drasta as if he is in plain clothing only it is all dark. He starts to walk toward the window and suddenly disappears.

Sei hears shuffling again away from the back wall and a soft thud then a ruffling of sheets.

The house is alerted to the stomping and both Sei and Drasta start to hear the voices of the guards.

Drasta turns her eyes back to the window. She spots something blurry moving to it. The blur stops for just a moment and then tries to retreat to the forest. She quickly draws and fires an arrow at it. It strikes something and the blur becomes the man in plain clothing. He has been hit in the leg.

He puts his hand to his mouth for a moment then tries to escape into the forest. Drasta whispers an arcane fey word to her bow and shoots another arrow as the man makes it into the forest limping as fast as he can go. She fires into the forest. She does not know what happened because he is already within the tree line.

A guard opens Sei’s door. “There has been a commotion of some kind Master huntsman. I need to search your room.”

Sei nods to him, “Go ahead.”

The guard searches the room to find nothing out of the ordinary. He asks, “Did you hear or see anything?”

"Heard sounds consistent with a small commotion, perhaps a slight scuffle, coming from where the concubines rest, looked out the window. A dark-clothed figure exited from the window there."

“Someone was in the other room that was not supposed to be there?”

Sei with his sensitive ears starts to hear talking in the next room. He can make out that its Mika and Hiromy along with the other guards, but he cannot make it out.

"Quite possibly. I couldn't tell you about why they were where they were though."

"Alright come with me." Sei bows and follows. They go into the next room. Sei now sees that everyone is awake while another guard and Hideo are walking up the hallway to the room with the concubines.

Drasta drops down to the ground in front of the concubines’ window. She then shouts for the other besshikime. In the room Hideo, who is obviously disturbed about being woken up and has a hangover, pushes everyone away. Everyone in the room now hears Drasta’s call for the besshikime. Mika who is in concubine clothing with her armor underneath says, “I will go see what Drasta has to report.”

The concubines all run to Hideo and hug him obviously distraught but Sei catches something. Kame has an odd expression on her. It seems almost like disappointment.” He also catches all the poisons on Mika. Not used to working so closely with the higher ups, it surprises him.

Mika goes to the window and looks down at Drasta, “Report.”

“There were five men on horses near the tree line. They had the horses’ heads lowered down. I was coming to report this when she points to the window. I had noticed this. I had seen a man come from the tree line in plain clothes and vanish then something blurry approach the window. I shot whoever it was in the leg before they vanished back into the woods.

Mika climbs out the window down with Drasta. They find there are about two dozen rose petals on the ground. Mika looks up at the window while squatting down and then to the rose petals. "Did you see anything else, Drasta? The men did not want to be seen or heard so they kept their horses from snorting. They stopped across from here. and it seems a yakuza or someone adept at hiding made his way up here until you shot him then ran into the forest. Is this correct? Is this everything?”

“From what I had seen yes. I believe the men may have been samurai, but I do not know whose.”

“Evaluate the purpose of the men for me? What do you think they wanted to do?"

“I am unsure of their intentions though if they had one entering this room we may find more information there.”

Mika nods, “Let's go then. It seems the threat is gone.”

“I have not entered the room yet so I cannot say that is true.”

Mika and Drasta walk back around to the entrance, down the hall and into the concubines’ room. They See Sei there along with Hideo and all the concubines gathered around him trying to hug him tighter than the others. There are also several guards, and Hiromy all inspecting everything.

Sei observes the situation quietly, not wanting to interrupt.

Hideo while calming down his girls and starts to stroll off to his own bedroom with all of them. "I have to calm them down and there’s only one way I know how. You guards can take care of this."

Both Drasta and Sei notice that Hideo is maneuvering himself around the room to keep as far as he can from Drasta, which is not unusual, but it’s more easily seen in this tight space. More that the two of them notice the same thing. Drasta watches him curiously.

Mika talks to the guards about the petals. She was sleeping at the time, and it seems could not wake up in time to see anything which disturbs her greatly. She then speaks up, “Did anyone see or hear anything I may not know yet?” As no one says anything she continues, "Ok everyone of mine go rest. The concubines will probably be in Hideo’s room now all night. Thank you for your assistance but this is a Besshikime problem. All males leave. Thank you. Drasta, Hiromy. get some rest I'll post until morning."

Sei returns to his room to rest. Drasta nods and finds a quiet place.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

In the morning everyone packs up and leaves. The group guides the litter through several towns. Villagers often try to peek in. They stop at a large village of about 5,000 people. There is a market district. They set up at an inn. Hideo and the concubines go to the market and split up. Drasta is assigned to Kame and Hiromy to Etsuko. Drasta notices that Mika is following Hiromy and Etsuko at a discreet distance. Sei goes out seeking the medicine he needs for the sick bird at home.

Sei quickly heads to the apothecary. He knows her well from previous shopping in this village for medicines. He also knows she is a minor priestess of a healing goddess. Kame also heads there with Drasta quietly trailing her.

Sei gets there first. She is a tall woman with an easy smile. He knows her as Chinatsu. He bows an easy greeting to her, “Ah, Hello Chinatsu.” He goes into his spiel about the sick bird and what he needs to get them better.

She pinches his cheek. “You should visit more often. I get lonely for a good talk about the mainland.”

He laughs and smiles slightly at this as they conduct their business. She listens for the ingredients and starts to get and mix them while talking. “How is the tribe doing? Are you doing well? Have you found a nice young girl yet? You should you know.” Meanwhile Kami steps into the store with Drasta not far behind.

Drasta stays a bit behind trying to be unnoticeable.

As Chinatsu mixes the herbs, she also comments. “Someone must be very sick. I’ll made sure all the measurements were absolutely proper.” Meanwhile, Kame goes around picking up small bottles of leaves and flower petals.

Sei keeps up the conversation. “I have been doing well myself, and last I heard, things are alright back home.”

The middle-aged woman and Sei continue to speak while she is mixing the ingredients. Kame sets three bottles on the counter. The woman stops and goes over to her. She looks at the bottles. “Can’t sleep dear?”

Kame replies, “Ever since……. Ever since my father and brother died……. I have a hard time……. Yes.”

“Oh dear, would you like me to mix you these things?”

“No, no, my mother taught me a few things. I can do it.”

“Are you sure? Blue lotus it is potent.”

“I’m… I’m sure.”

“OK, that will be 25 dakari.”

Kame puts the coins on the table and leaves. Drasta turns and follows her, curious of what she will do next.
Sei hands over the appropriate coins for the herbal work he is asking for. She finishes mixing and puts them in a bottle for you. "Now mix it with some pigeon grease or butter it on some meat so your friend will eat it."
Sei nods "Right and thank you greatly. May the spirits be with you" bowing her farewell.

Kame looks at Drasta and smiles. She then heads for the market inn. She goes in and sits down. She orders tea for both of you and brings out a bowl mixing the three ingredients together. Drasta has no idea what two of the ingredients Kame is mixing but she does know the third. Blue lotus petals have mild sedative properties but also the seed pods of the flower are famously used to make opium. Kame has petals not stems. Second there are a lot of samurai at the inn, not unusual but you seem to recognize them. You’re not sure from where or when though. Many have no mons on their shoulders, but a few have Shinto mons on them. They all seem to mingle talking of past battles and glories while drinking their tea and sake.

Drast looks at Kame while loosening her wristband slightly then takes a sip of tea. Kame smiles and winks at Drasta then leans back as she does, she seems to wobble and spills some of her tea. She grabs onto the table quickly, with her hand below and her thumb above. "Oh, please excuse me honorable guard. I had a cramp." She drinks her tea and waits for Drasta to finish hers. She then puts her hand up to her forehead. “All this excitement at the market has tired me. Shall we go now?”

As they get up and go to the door Drasta looks back to find three samurai move from their table to the one they had just occupied. One slips his hand underneath it for a moment then draws it back.

Everyone goes back to the inn in the evening. Hideo calls for only Suzu upsetting the other two. especially Kame who cries. The guard sequence is laid out. Drasta is again posted outside with Mika while this time Hiromy is dressed as a concubine and sleeps with the other women.

Drasta reports what she saw in the inn to Mika. Mika thinks a long while. “Umm the actions at the Daimyo’s house…. The situation is also strange. I believe you are right, Drasta. We should keep an eye on her.”

The night was uneventful. They continue their journey and come to Daimyo Nakari's villa sometime in the late afternoon. He receives the party and entreats Hideo and company to a grand feast. This time Drasta is posted at the door while Hiromy does walking duty and Mika is inside sleeping with the concubines. Hideo takes Kame for the night, so she is not there. The night goes uneventfully. The next morning Lord Nakari and Hideo meet in a conference room. Sei sits across Hideo, and he has Samo and the other samurai surrounding him. Sei observes quietly, not wanting to take over the conversation.

Nakari starts. "Master Hideo. I know that Shinto is aligned to our shogun by marriage, but this must stop. Brigands and Ronin harass and pillage my border villages and escape into Shinto lands. I know lord Shinto is behind this or one of his sons. They do nothing about these bandits and honor less men. they may even support them. You know old man Shinto doesn’t have the drive to move against Nakari and Barasume openly. They use these men to do their dirty work. This must stop! I need support in protecting these villages."

Hideo openly sighs, "Do you have any proof Lord Nakari of these actions?"

The daimyo stammers, "PROOF! YOU WANT PROOF, MY WORD IS NOT ENOUGHT! Jenku bring the Shoguns son our proof!"

An Onna-bugeisha walks out and comes back in with a large bag. She rolls it out to display bloody weapons, a torn and shot up saddle bag and three heads laden with old scars. The Daimyo states, "There is your proof if you go to the border villages you will find much more."

Hideo grabs one of the heads up by its hair and places it in front of him. "Well, they have seen combat, that is obvious. But no real proof. You could have gotten these from any old skirmish. Still, I believe you. I cannot just march an army to another shogun's lands. What would you have me do?"

"I need more men to guard the border, more patrols and the ability to chase them to their nests."

Hideo laughs, "More men. We are stretched out thin with the lands we keep and follow them to another shogun's territory? Not a chance. We just came out of a war, and you want us to start a new one. No."

The Daimyo fumes, "I need to take a break. He gets up and walks out with his guard leaving Hideo's party alone for a few minutes. Hideo takes a nail file out and starts cleaning under his fingernails while humming to himself.

Sei comes up with something else and mentions, "I'm thinking that what we need isn't just piling numbers at the problem. Shadowy figures will always flow to where you aren't, and there will always be a way to get people to go one way, leaving a hole they can exploit."

Drasta walks up to one of the heads, grabs it up by the hair and studies the face carefully. Everyone looks at Drasta. Mika asks, "What are you doing?" Hideo squeezes his chair back a few inches away from her. She places the head down and takes a step back looking at Hideo.

He remarks, "Let the barbarian look. She’s not used to the handsome faces of our people."

Drasta smirks, “that must be it.”

He then turns to Sei. “"And just what do you suggest, Master of birds?"

"What we need are rangers, trackers, people who can stay unseen themselves while deciphering how the brigands we are up against operate, where they shelter, how they are supplied. Find their weak points so we can strike decisively, instead of constantly hacking at a hydra's heads." Drasta nods to that.

Hideo thinks about it. "Rangers and trackers. How many do we have in our territories? 50 maybe 75 all with their own duties but you do have a point. The questions are what does lord Shinto have to say about all this and how do I become the hero in my father's eyes?"

"These will need to be people well acquainted with the local landscape, likely of Daimyo Nakari's folk as a result. It may very well be best that they are not samurai themselves, though." then turning to Hideo's question "Think about managing upwards, keeping people informed and giving our Daimyo here the space to focus on the problem instead of inquiring about his every move.

That said, once they are able to find those weak points in the brigandage, they are to lead us in exploiting the gaps, cutting off their supply and communications before tracking and hunting the brigands down, especially in winter where they have to rely on cached supplies and what they can steal instead of hunts and wild harvests."

"A fair plan if I can placate Nakari for a while. Maybe even catch some of these bandits. I still want to hear what Shinto says. There are two sides to every coin. Umm the important part is I stop a war between these two clans. That would make my father happy. Ok, we’ll wait for him to come back."

Sei responds, “"Aye. That is a good point indeed. There has to be some reasoning behind the actions in question."

Lord Nakari finally comes back and sits down silently.

Hideo smiles, "How about this lord Nakari. The bandits will have to go out and forage in their own way more in winter than in summer or during the harvest. I will send you 6 woodsmen including our own falconer come the first week of winter to scout for your troops, set up ambushes and such. but it must be your troops that do this. It will put you in a good position with my father and if you along with my scouts find some enclaves of bandits and mercilessly put them to justice in public, that should stop the raids. I'll come myself during the 1rst half of winter and join the hunt. I'll relish crucifying a few of these bandits myself."

Lord Nakari taps his index finger on the table thinking, "I still want to declare war. Shinto has dishonored my boarders even if indirectly."

Sei steps in, "Think of this as a different sort of war, Lord Nakari. Not all your foes will come straight at you, fighting out in the open as is the way of the samurai, after all."

Hideo suddenly goes pale as a sheet realizing something. He looks at Drasta oddly a moment before speaking, then at Sei after the words he speaks, "I think try it my way first. Shinto is our ally and a steady one. Their samurai in the past have supported Barasume."

Nakari retorts, "Though small the Shinto clan was a strong clan in days past. They have weakened significantly. Why not absorb them into our lands now that their leaders are becoming weak and old."

Drasta locks her eyes to Hideo and smirks once more. He looks lost a moment then says, "I think it would be more prudent not to engage the Shinto clan openly. We'll clean up these bandits and Ronin together. If it stops then a pat on the back to you and a pat on the back to me for keeping war off our lands. If it doesn't work, then we have other options."

Sei nods, "Indeed. Not engaging them openly buys us time to get to the bottom of this."

Lord Nakari measures everyone in the room. With great reluctance he nods. "Till the end of next winter then. If it does not stop, I will go to the palace myself to hear Kyo's words personally."

Hideo smiles. "And with that the meeting is done. I will be off to Shinto lands myself to hear Lord Shinto's excuses. I will keep your information to use only if I need too. Let us feast now."

Everyone is ushered out there is again a grand feast. Nakari being a border territory the palace is almost overprotected. Mika lets both Drasta and Hiromy off for the night to get some good sleep. The trip to Lord Shinto is 2 days by litter.

Before going to rest Drasta comes up to Hideo’s room. Samo stops her. “What business do you have, Drasta?”

“A simple question.”

He looks down at her being Samo is a very large man in all ways. “I will ask.” He goes in the other samurai, Kenshin, closes the door. After a moment Hideo opens it. He’s disheveled, smells of sex and says, “Yes? What is it?”

“I am curious why I cause you such discomfort.”

"Family business. Keep out of it. Besides, I’m not afraid of some Trollip from the west. I’m afraid of what you represent. Now be off back to your duty of protecting my women." He closes the door on you.

Drasta chuckles and goes to rest.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

The group sets out once again this time for Shinto lands. Sei is close to the front, with guards evenly split between front and back and the litter in the middle. Drasta and Hiromy take rear guard. Samo and Kenshin guard on opposite sides of the litter. They start off early in the morning just before sunrise. It’s a brisk 40 degrees but this is southern Kozakura it may reach 80 by noon.

They are making their way west now into part of the hilly region of the nation. These are mostly farming villages separated by swaths of forested hollows. To the north are fishing villages. It hits about 11 in the morning when they see a wolf sitting in a field about a hundred yards from them as they gravel down the road. As they move along the length of his vision from east to west he watches and cleans himself with his tongue. Sei notes the wolf but doesn’t pay much mind to it, letting it do wolfy things. The troupe goes along its merry way. They continue to a small village. There is an inn to rest at.

They get to the inn. Guard positions are posted. Hideo takes all three of his concubines with him. The night goes off without a hitch and everyone mounts up for the next leg of the journey. Drasta, as she is getting herself set on her horse, feels a cold breeze blow through her running a chill up her back. Other than that, everything seems normal. They continue on. There is one more day and night to the Shinto border.

As they near the border they come upon a small lake of about 30 acres. There is a shrine to a water god there. The group’s water supply is somewhat low. Sei has the party stop and pray at the shrine before refilling their supplies.

Everyone dismounts and prays one by one. As Drasta approaches the shrine Mika stops her. “"If you are going to pray here. You need to learn the proper way. May I?”

Drasta nods to her. Mika takes out a tube of incense sticks. “A lake god requires a specific set of incense just as a dead relative or other kind of God. Here take these three sticks. Approach the shrine in reverence and with a free mind. light the incense and put it out and put the sticks in the holders. Then pray for the god to have peace and good fortune. You may stand but bow your head to the god in humility at least slightly because you do not regularly pray to him you need not go down on your knees. You are recognizing him as the god of this lake and seek peace with him. Do you understand?"

“I understand.” Mika releases her arm to go up to the shrine.

Drasta approaches the shrine and lights the incense and places them in the holders and holds her head down saying a small prayer.

After Drasta does that Hideo smiles. "Now that the god is appeased, we can take a swim and wash the dirt off of us come on girls.” He and his concubines rush down to the lake.

Samo looks to the rest of you. “Best the women go to the other side of the lake. Sei..........Umm I don't know. We'll guard the young lord and his ladies. Should be ok.

Mika guides Drasta and Hiromy to the other side for a bath or swim, while Sei keeps a lookout with the aid of his bird. His sparrowhawk takes to its wings and monitors the area. and everyone else goes swimming. As you swim a giant koi fish joins both groups swimming around you playfully. It a full 3 meters long and fat in a healthy way. Sei’s bird sees the koi and reports it to him when it perches.

One thing catches Drasta’s eye. Mika seems not her dower self in the water. She seems happier and as the giant koi makes one of its passes with the group, she puts her hand out and strokes its side. Drasta watches curiously but doesn’t say anything.

After an hour the group gets out of the water. They fill up their canteens and barrels. The litter moves on. The trip to the next village is uneventful. There is no inn, to you stay at the head of the peasant council’s home.

Hideo is not pleased and gives the head of council and his family a hard time until night. Mika posts guard positions. Drasta is at the door. Mika is wandering, and Hiromy is in court garb posing as a concubine. Sei is sleeping in the same room as Samo and Kenshin.

At midnight Drasta suddenly feels weak and she has the feeling of the chills. Her forehead is burning up. Samo relieves her. She says nothing and goes to find a warm place to rest with the odd feeling. In the morning, they pack up and move on quickly.

Nothing happens that morning and they come to the checkpoint between Shogun Barasume’s lands and the Shinto clan Shogun’s lands. They ask for everyone’s travel papers and the group starts to move on when the guards suddenly stop Drasta. “Remove your hood!”

Mika turns back. “She is a besshikime trainee and under shogun Barasume’s protection.”

The guard ignores her. “Remove your hood!”

She looks at Mika for a moment then looks back to the guard. “Is there a reason for this?”

“We want to know everyone's face coming across the border now remove your hood.” One of his samurai half draws his sword.

Drasta stares at the samurai who half drew his blade with a piercing firm gaze. “That last man who drew a blade on me did not survive. You only needed to state your reasons.”

He sheaths his sword fully and the lead guard retorts. “I have stated my reason now remove your hood or you will go no further.”

Drasta looks to Mika for approval. Hideo suddenly yells out of the litter. “What is the hold up this time!?” Mika nods.

She reaches both her hands up pulling her hood back and showing her long black flowing hair over the sides of her face. The head samurai chuckles, "So this is a Barasume trainee. This thin, gaunt, pale woman. My how things have changed. You may go, Sickling. be careful not to trip and break something."

She grits her teeth a bit in anger and holds her tongue. Mika gives the guard a dark look. “To your post, Drasta.” She returns to formation and the group move on into Shinto lands.

They move toward the first sizeable town in days. It’s 2pm, and a cool 50 degrees. As they trot down the road Sei spots something coming out of the edge of the woods and put itself in the middle of the road. It is an eight-foot-tall giant with red skin and two great horns protruding out of its head. The creature is holding two Kozakurian great swords. Sei immediately sees it is an Oni, and it's blocking the road.

Most of the group also see large shadows moving about the trees and hear large creatures trying to quietly position themselves. Both Sei and Drasta suspect there are about 20 of them just within the edge of the woods. Drasta quietly says to the others within her voice range. “There are many.”

Hideo sticks out his head, “Why have we stopped?”

Samo looks about, “My lord, quiet. Please.”

Sei nods back, “This is trouble.”

Sei rides back to the litter while everyone else gets the same idea they surround it and speak. Samo asks, “How many are there?”

Mika responds, “I think about 10? Anyone else?”

Drasta looks around, “Closer to 20.” Sei affirms her count.

Samo grunts, “Too many and we are on a diplomatic mission. What do you want to do Sei? You are our under leader?”

The Oni on the road stretches and waits. Occasionally he flips a great sword around in a circle.

Even though Drasta has been feeling slightly sluggish and her mind somewhat clouded she crosses her arms to both sides and grabs hold of the hilts of two blades waiting for an answer.

Sei doesn’t say anything. Instead, he breaks off from the group and rides up to the ogre. “What brings you to the front of us?” His tone not judgmental.

“What a pretty litter you have there, scout. Who is in there? A princess?”

“We are on a diplomatic mission.” Sei states matter of fact in his response to the giant.

Hideo gets out of the litter now. Both samurai try to stop him, but he shoves them out of the way. “Remember who I am servant.”

The Oni responds. “Oh a…. diplomatic mission… even more interesting. I’ll bet you carry gifts for your… diplomatic mission. Do you not?”

Sei looks to Hideo and pantomimes to him briefly to tell him to stay quiet, and also pantomimes to Mika to have her prepare everyone for a fight. He then responds to the Oni matter-of-factly "Would you rather find yourself hunted by the samurai of both sides? Because inflaming a war is how you get yourself hunted by the samurai of both sides."

Hideo starts to walk up sees the ogre and swiftly runs to the litter and dives in. The Oni narrows his eyes. "Who was that fancy young man in the litter?"

Sei continues his matter-of-fact responses. "He is with us to aid in the negotiations."

The Oni studies the litter, "Well then you have a problem little human. You see this is my road and you have to pay a tax to move on. I would not want to let your fancy representative come to harm now would I. He seems important! Important enough to get a handsome reward for his return."

"And do you have a writ from the local shogun authorizing such collections?"

“My writ is the 20 of my tribe hiding in the woods. Do you really think two samurai and a bunch of make-believe women warriors will take out that many before we steal your special boy?" He smiles showing his big pointy teeth, "Be reasonable."

"Clearly the words of those who have never seen a mother wolf defending her pack." Drasta clears her throat some and pulls her hood back staring out towards the Oni. The shadows in the trees disappear but some of the group can see movement of branches and hear slight noises as something seems to be surrounding you from out of the woods. Sei and Samo’s knowledge of Oni lets them know that the enemy has gone to invisibility.

The lead Oni in front of Sei calls out a battle cry and all of them attack. Sei’s talk let the group gather themselves and get ready. The battle is joined.

Mika moves up to support Sei. Samo moves back opposite Kenshin on the other side of the litter. Hirom is at the back. Drasta steps towards the back and pulls both her void blade and rapier soaking herself in shadow. To most she seems to disappear.

Sei opens the fight by casting an invisibility purge, trying to reveal the Oni in front of him. Three of them appear as they are about the attack from Sei and Mika’s right side with one in front. The lead ogre attacks Sei with his great swords connecting both times, but Sei’s armor deflects most of the force. Both blades only slightly cut him. Two others surround him, and one gets a good hit in along Sei’s ribs but again his armor deflects most of the damage still cracking his rib.

Mika is also surrounds and takes several significant blows by two handed studded clubs, but she is one tough brood and counters.

Three ogres come immediately upon Samo but two of them get tangled up in each other and one of them falls to the ground. The other one digs its sword into his leg.

Kenshin on the other side manages to parry and defend the litter from the ogres on top of him.

Drasta stares down one ogre with her eyes filling with void. She lashes out with her blades. She lays into the ogre with devastating hits making him real back another ogre replaces him as he drinks a potion. She weaves and dodges around the other two Oni making one trip, but the fresh ogre is in position and ready to jump her.

Hiromy, using a defensive style, blocks all the incoming blows but staggers back due to her opponents’ strength. She quickly regains her composure. She strikes out but misses her mark.

Two Ogres that are not using weapons go for the litter door while the battle rages around them. Samo takes both arms off one of them in a samurai maneuver while taking hits to his back and legs. He downs it. The creature is still alive but in shock and cannot move.

Drasta drops her void blade and holds her rapier calming herself a moment. Then she lunges into the fresh Oni in front of her. Her blade dances around his body hitting both lunges, his heart and his liver. He dies on her blade.

While she is doing that one of the ogres behind slices her across the arm leaving a deep wound. She stumbles gutturally growling loudly holding her arm.

One of the ogres lifts someone from the litter by the arm. He holds them up and carries them away toward the forest. As he is doing this there is a bright flash from within the carriage. The other ogre fishing around in the litter stumbles back. Sei is blinded by the flash Drasta is partially blinded but sees something small dart out of the cart and into the woods. She cannot see what exactly it was.

The three ogres that were on Mika charge after the cart. Hideo, not someone to sit there, tries to jump out of the cart and run for his life. One of the Oni veer off to intercept him. Sei wants to charge after it, but he is still surrounded. Sei returns his focus to the battle.

All three of them hit Sei and shred his armor to tatters. He reals back heavily wounded. Samo is putting up a furious defense but still one finds his mark. Samo is knocked back down on his knees and draws his wakizashi out as a final defense stabbing at their calve and feet. He hamstrings one of them. It goes down but is still dangerous. Blood is flowing out of Samo’s armor freely now.

Kenshin puts up a blistering parry defense against his three opponents. Neither the three ogres on him nor he get any good blows in against each other.

Drasta rips through another Oni being small and quick and her sword work playing to her advantage. She begins to run to the Ogres attacking Hiromy.

She singles out one of her opponents and attacks it. She strikes it twice and it goes reeling back badly wounded while the other two deal out heavy blows to her. Hiromy is in heavy armor, and it withstands most of the damage.

A mass of ogres start pulling apart the litter. The ogre chasing Hideo catches up to him. He slings the boy over his shoulder. Another takes out Suzu by her arm which he dislocates. She screams as he runs to the forest.

Sei in desperation changes his form into his hybrid. He grows becoming larger His human faces changes to that of a Tibetan mastiff. He grows claws and paws. He then sets about attacking one of his opponents hard to drive it back and scare its companion. He sinks tooth and claw into the Oni, tearing at its flesh and griping its throat with his jaws. One of the other two strikes out at the man-dog that is now Sei and hits him in the back. The other afraid of hitting his companion stays back. After he wounds Sei one last time they break for the woods.

Even though Samo is down on his knees his armor absorbs all the Oni blows. He is too weak now to put up a fight. The ogres on him retreat to the forest.

The ogres around Kenshin retreat but he is able to counterattack but he is also too wounded and weak to strike them with any amount of damage.

Drasta, catching the Oni with Hideo on its shoulder and facing two more with Hiromy decides to void jump. She does and soon as she appears she strikes out at it. It goes down sorely wounded the rest retreat. She places a blade in between its eyes, pierces her gaze in it pushing out fey energy deeply angry.

Meanwhile a girl comes running out of the woods she’s covered in dirt and her dress is in tatters its Kami she goes straight to Sei and starts to dress his wounds.

Sei looks up, “Thanks...this definitely did not go as planned...but I think we'll make it out mostly in one piece? To negotiate with those who breathe only threats is merely to embolden them to continue..."

She speaks to him in another language, hengeyokai. Her voice is soft so no one else can hear the two of you. "Keep quiet while I fix you up. This does not bode well for my fortunes. Stay still I need you all healthy." He quiets down as Kami works on his wounds.

Drasta drags Hideo out of the woods and back towards the caravan. Hiromy motions to her as blood is pouring out of her face along her cheek line. Drasta touches it. There is a deep wound there. Deep enough that it will be permanent.

Kami moves to Mika next who is also down. She rips open the besshikime’s chest armor and puts something on her flesh. She lights whatever it is on fire.

Drast continues walking to the ruined litter dragging Hideo. She’s slapping his face to wake him up.

Mika suddenly whoops in a deep breath turns her head to the side and throws up. Kami moves on to Samo who is almost unconscious from blood loss.

Everyone looks around. Sei, Samo, Mika and the other samurai are still badly wounded. Hiromy doesn’t have a scratch and Drasta, though somewhat wounded is functional. Suzu and Etsuko are nowhere to be seen.
Sei ties the horses together and lead them. The rest help each other walk. They make it to the next town just before 11 pm.

Sei, having shifted back into his human form, panting with exhaustion "What a mess. I... did not figure out things breaking down as quickly as they did. That said, I don't think I'd have been able to sleep well with the idea of giving over hostages to them as bargaining chips, either, and other than just emptying out the litter and making everyone walk...we didn't have much else that I know of at least?"

They go to the inn to rest. Kami keeps her meager treatments up the whole of the time. Everyone is too exhausted and covered in blood to do much. You notice there are many ronin in town with no mons on their shoulders. some study the group. Sei helps with what meager healing spells he knows. Drasta sits down coughing blood flowing from her face saying a sylvan prayer and falls asleep hard.

They cannot set up a guard yet. Everyone is too wounded. They find two rooms at the inn and rest. In the morning Drasta becomes paler and her fever becomes strong. She has a hard time waking up.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

In the morning, Sei winds up going looking for Drasta when she doesn't seem to be up and about like her normal self. He finds her sleeping. She is pale and quite feverish. She is slumped over, sleeping in a corner with a blade in her hand and blood still trickling down her face.

Sei looks her over closely with a frown on his face trying to figure out what’s gotten into her. He deduces that she is being drained slowly night by night but there are so many creatures and spells that can do this he doesn’t know what or who is doing it to her. He frowns deeply. “We need to get you to a priest, something's sapping at you but I can't tell what it could be."

Drasta lulls her eyes slightly and closes them muttering to herself. Sei then set out straight away in search of a priest or healer in town.

As he goes out, he notices several ronin watching the inn. An old samurai, one he recognizes after seeing you walk out gets on a war horse. With Sei’s eye for animals, he sees that the horse is probably one of the best kisouma he has ever seen with his own eyes. The samurai looks at the ronin once then leaves to the west.

Sei continues on his way. As he investigates around town he hears of two temples in the city. One is for the sun goddess Namikami. The other to the fire god Fire Baby. He heads to the temple of the sun.

As he approaches the temple, he finds two monk guards there. Many people walk in and out as they please if they are polite. Sei bows to them, “"Hello there sirs. Is there a healer or priest available?"

They recognize him and one states, “There are three priestesses here now.”

"Ah, good. I need the most senior or skilled at healing of the three if they are available. One of my traveling companions is being drained, night by night, by some unknown force."

The same monk tells him, “Ask for Yuko.”

He bows to the monks "Thank you" and steps inside. In short order he finds an acolyte. "If I may speak with a miss Yuko, please."

Back at the inn Drasta slumps out of the corner looking about the room as she hears the door close but has a hard time moving about so she stays put. She shifts her weight so she can examine the room to see who is there. The only one there is Hiromy. She is near the door making sure no one disturbs her stricken companion. Drasta weakly states, “go protect the others.” lifting her rapier towards the door.

Hiromy looks at her and stay where she is knowing Drasta does not have the strength. Mika then limps into the room and sits down.

Drasta again pleads, “Hideo is more important.” She leans her head back then looks to the two of them. “You must protect him more than myself.”

Mika says, "Samo and the other samurai will guard them. Hideo is too downtrodden to do anything right now. and we still need as much rest as possible."

Drasta places her head back against the wall looking up to the ceiling huffing.

At the temple A tall woman comes up. She’s not pretty, sort of plain, but one thing you notice is that there are feathers weaved in her hair. "May I help you?"

"Ah, you would be Miss Yuko, no?" bows to her deeply.

She recognizes you, "How may I be of service?"

"Indeed. I have a companion who's suffering from a mysterious sort of malady that's been sapping her strength quite badly. It'd be best if you came to the inn with me, she's quite weak already."

"It is rare for me to be away from temple. How important is this?"

"As in, I'm quite concerned that she'll be drained to death if she's not tended to within the day."

The priestess looks up to the ceiling a moment, "Alright, lead the way then."

Sei leads Yuko back to the inn, and directly to where Drasta is staying, knocking on the door. As the door opens Drasta sees the priestess and recognizes her as the woman in the garden. She raises her rapier towards the door clutching it shakily.

Sei calls out, "It is me, Sei. I come bringing aid, to free you from what is taking your strength.”

Yuko tries to slowly and gently take the weapon out of Drasta's hand. She nods to the priestess, “Please do not be afraid of what you see in me.”

She places the rapier on the ground with some distain then examines her closely. especially her neck. "There are no marks. It’s not a vampire. Umm."

Sei comments, “Aye, not a vampire, more like a sickness, spell, or curse, although I cannot tell precisely what?"

Yuko stands back up and steps back. She casts a spell. Sei knows it as detect evil. Yuko exclaims, “Her aura shows as evil.” She looks to him, “Is this woman evil?”

"She is of shadows in a sense, but I have not known her to commit acts of an evil nature."

“Ninja?”

Drasta starts to breathe with a labored breath.

Yuko considers, “"I can try something else." She casts another spell. It is detect harmony.

“There is something out of place around her and about her.”

Sei answers her question. "Not ninjitsu per se, but shadow-work all the same."

The priestess paces for several minutes thinking. She then stops and asks, "Does this woman have many enemies?"

Drasta looks to Sei and huffs her breath. “I am not welcome by many here.” She pulls her hood back showing her elongated elven ears and young features.

Sei looks sorrowful, "She's someone who has taken on...a quite difficult journey in her life."

Yuko studies her again, “She is a fey creature of the west. I see now.”

Drasta grits her teeth, “That does not leave this room....”

Sei nods, “I ask that you not speak of that fact to others, please."

"That would depend on if she is truly evil or not. but if she has enemies here there may be something to that. She may have been stocked by an Ikiryo.”

Drasta glares over with feyish eyes. “What is that…”

Yuko explains, “When someone sees you with enough jealousy or hate sometimes that takes form and comes alive as a spirit. The person who does this does not know they did. but it is a spiritual creature created by the manifestation of their jealousy or hate. Once the creature is born it will hunt you and slowly feed upon you until your death. They are almost impossible to detect but a powerful wu-jen or priestess can dispel them.”

The priestess tries another spell. This one both Sei and Drasta know. Her eyes turn dragon like. She is using true sight. When she looks at Drasta a ghostly form that looks exactly like Hiromy steps out of her body and retreats out the window.

Drasta watches the priestess’s eyes. Hiromy sucks in her breath audibly. Yuko looks at her then goes back to Drasta. “It will never come back and will dissipate in time on its own now.” She then looks back at Hiromy and walks up to her. “Young lady. Let us go to temple and speak with each other, please. if you will?"

Drasta desperately asks, “Wait!”

Yuko turns back to Drasta but Hiromy refuses to meet her eyes. It is the priestess that speaks. "Its best that she and I sort this out at temple young elven."

Drasta arches a brow. “Young… fine… I need my friend back.”

Yuko says, “A half a day at most. You should rest. It will take you however many days it fed on you to get your full vitality back."

Drasta draws a sylvan symbol into the air and points to Hiromy. “We need peace sister.”

The priestess smiles, "Before there can be peace, there must be full understanding."

After Yuko and Hiromy leave Drasta looks to the others in the room expectantly. “I am sorry Mika....I could not protect everyone.”

Mika just shrugs, “I’m too tired to go into priestly mumbo-jumbo.”

Drasta chuckles and throws a bottle of rum to her. She touches her face, “I guess I am not so pretty now...”
Sei speaks up, "Aye, that was partly on me as well. I did not realize just how soft our party was."

Mika takes a swig and nods off. Drasta traces the wound on her face and looks at him. It was roughly stitched up by Kami.”

Mika wakes up again. Drasta pleads to her. “Did I fail…… Mika…”

“No one failed. we were in over our heads. 21 Oni against 6 no one would put odds on us.”

Sei smiles, “Hardly. You did very well in getting Hideo back."

Drasta replies, “Hideo...How is he fairing...”

Mika muses, “He's been moping around since the attack.”

Sei says, “Aye, it was a long-odds fight but I felt we had little choice -- bargaining with them would have just emboldened them more and more, and he is recovering slowly but surely best I can tell."

Drasta says, “perhaps we should see him... He still needs our protection.”

Sei starts to move, “I will make sure he is alright" Sei nods and heads off to go check on Hideo.

Drasta’s voice gets louder as she exclaims, “I’m not dead!” As he leaves.

Sei finds Hideo. He is drinking in the other room with his ass on the floor and back against the wall, Kami is clinging to him. He is obviously quiet drunk.

Drasta gets up and stumbles after Sei. “I’m coming with you!”

Sei looks over Hideo, to see if he's at least healing alright despite his drunken state. A thud is heard by the wall outside as Drasta walks through the door with a cut through her face. Hideo’s youth shows that his bruises are healing quickly.

Drasta slowly places a hand on Sei’s shoulder, “I am still on duty…”

He looks back at her, "Hideo will recover, I am sure of it. Do get rest yourself though." returning to rest himself.

Drasta looks to Hideo then sits by the door. She goes into a trance shortly after.
CTP team member