General discussion about the Community Tileset Project

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist, Black Rider

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

[quote=Sharona Curves;7922]1 more day . .

1 more day of life before CTP.

1 more day of lava dungeons and spiky dark underground terrain.

1 more day of flat rock and tracks.

1 more day of drab wood or stone interiors.

1 more day i tell ya.

1 more stinkin day.

the light is visible and i am flying towards it. :z_superhe[/quote]

Hehe... you just sped up and didn't even realize it!

Here is the link, but of course it's not QUITE ready. Midnight Maximus promises to flip the switch for us. That is midnight, tonight, EST. So about 10 hours from now. CTP Release 1 :_frizz1:

Of course, all you will get from that link until then is that the sets have not been approved yet.
:_bag:

Sharona Curves

Post by Sharona Curves »

you are such a tease Bannor. :)

is Max making an exception to his file update times?

in my time zone it is usually between 2-5PM daily that the vault files go from not approved to a to be published state. in any case i have school until 3 tomorrow so no NWN goodness for me until after that time.

Bannor Bloodfist

[quote=Sharona Curves;7926]you are such a tease Bannor. :)

is Max making an exception to his file update times?

in my time zone it is usually between 2-5PM daily that the vault files go from not approved to a to be published state. in any case i have school until 3 tomorrow so no NWN goodness for me until after that time.[/quote]

Yes, Maximus is giving us a small bit of special treatment here.

He already has the files, and has verified they are clean of viruses, curse words and your (Sharona's) home phone number :shutup:.

So sorry to hear that you have to wait that extra day. :(

Primogenitor

Post by Primogenitor »

[QUOTE=Bannor Bloodfist;7923] That is midnight, tonight, EST. So about 10 hours from now. [/QUOTE]Brain struggling to cope with converting this. 5am BST (British Summer Time, GMT+1)? Time to adjust my alarm clock and get an early night ;)

Sharona Curves

Post by Sharona Curves »

[QUOTE=Bannor Bloodfist;7928]Yes, Maximus is giving us a small bit of special treatment here.

He already has the files, and has verified they are clean of viruses, curse words and your (Sharona's) home phone number :shutup:.

So sorry to hear that you have to wait that extra day. :([/QUOTE]

excellent news about the special treatment and my phone number. somehow somewhere someway people always seem to share my number.

if i had a dime for everytime i picked up the phone and the person on the other end asks for "goodtime sharon" i would be a rich girl. :biggrin2:

To the CTP Team

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys - the work is beautiful - sorry to hear about your lost members, y'know I never thought about the fact that this being a internet community and it being so large that things like that are bound to happen. Godspeed to them. To Bannor and the rest - thanks for the pretty scenery :)

Bannor Bloodfist

[quote=Daemon Blackrazor;8028]Thanks guys - the work is beautiful - sorry to hear about your lost members, y'know I never thought about the fact that this being a internet community and it being so large that things like that are bound to happen. Godspeed to them. To Bannor and the rest - thanks for the pretty scenery :)[/quote]

Thanks Daemon.

We miss those peeps too. More than we can say. Many other previous members of the CTP helped in their own fashion. But I don't think anyone (other than remaining members) had dedicate so much labor, love, dedication as those 2 did. Pasilli, being one of the founders, also did MOST of the original compilation work. Not just 2da /set editing, but also repairs to many individual groups, features, tiles etc. And Rich, well, Rich challenged us. Not by just saying 'why don't you do this' but by also giving us many, many ideas. A large part of our testing patterns were improved by his efforts.

Ahhh well. Both of them deserve that recognition.

Many other members of the team have continued in those traditions.

RDX, well. He has been a total Godsend to us. He keeps plugging away. RDX is a perfectionist on tiles. If it can be done better, cleaner, or faster, he does it. (sometimes a little late though :rolleyes:)

Christopher, our Webmaster, also repaired the most tiles in this release, manually speaking. Two complete sets he did all on his own. We just pointed out the errors and said 'go get 'em'. He did. And then some. Chris also helps to keep me sane... keeps me going when the road gets a bit steep. Chris will have even more surprises coming to us all as we get further along I am sure. He keeps mentioning little side projects he is working towards. I expect him to start adding his own custom tilesets before we are done.

OldMansBeard... well, I have no way to explain the amount of work he has done and continues to do behind the scenes. He was handed a set of tools that worked, but were incomplete. He cleaned those right up. While he was doing that, he sorta hovered over Chris and I as we were discussing problems with certain sets. Next thing we know, he emails us this little script to run in Open Office that would go and do certain fixes automagically. Before long, he had switched over to Prolog and given us an .exe that just 'did the grunt work'. Man, what a savings in time. Those tools, he keeps improving on. That saves us more and more time as we progress through the sets. Ohhh... I once asked him to take a look at some doors that we intended to add... you have them now, in the ctp_genericdoors.hak... what a compilation of doors, many are truly breathtaking. He took those, as ideas, and made them actually WORK! And of course, gained HOF status with them.

QSW... Ohhh QueenSilverwing was asked to 'write us a story' to help garner some attention. She developed a team of Writers that gave us the Jerl Silvershield Adventure. A great little set of books, that if you dig a bit in the CTP folder you just installed, well, you will find them there. A nice addition to reading material in game for ANY PW or mod. Sorta like a 'reader's digest' of the tilesets we are working on. Since she is a 'writer' I more or less trapped her into doing the documentation for the release and she gracefully did it with flair and took the time to do research to get it right.

Chandigar... you know who he is right? Both of those Gothic sets are his work. He has also stepped up to the plate when I thought we were going to have to completely throw one of these sets away. That Elven Interior set? While pretty, was also in a MAJOR mess. I had given up. I couldn't find anyone that was capable of fixing it. Well, Chandigar, took time away from his own, personal, tileset work, and gave us some of that labor. The result being the improved Elven Interior you just downloaded.

Hyperworm, did the work on the Demo mod. And believe me, it's not his fault that there is not more action etc, in that mod. I told him NO. We didn't have time. Turns out, we would have had the time, but that's water under the bridge now. I made him make changes sooo many times, that I bet he has lost count.

Raven280 did a large number of the screenshots in the Jerl Silvershield Adventure, and many of the shots that are in the Gallery. He also contributed the 'themed' areas in the demo mod. If you got attacked in a few locations, it's because he slipped a few things in on me :p:

There are others, listed in the credits. Many testers over the last 18 months or so went through our doors. Those testers, each contributed something to the effort here. A few people thought they could help fix tilesets, and actually repaired a bit here and there. Needless to say, these tilesets have passed through a large number of hands over the years. That's actually part of the problem in fixing them all. They were modified, imported, exported and re-exported using different tools. All of those had to be cleaned in different fashion. (Thanks again to OMB for that).

Me.. I came to test, didn't think I could offer much more than that. Ended up taking the helm to prevent this 'air ship' from beaching itself on the shoals of broken dreams. And here we are. Still plugging. Still looking for people that want to be part of a great team and want to help fix other tilesets. We still have 30 sets left in our list. Some may never make it out the door. We will continue though, as long as there is interest in those sets.

Christopher
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Christopher »

Well said Bannor, well said. I have been in this project longer then anyone having started in Aug. of 2004. I had been compiling my own haks and updating and cursing 2da's and blueprints! CEP was founded and suddenly I decided to let someone else do it all. I just didn't know jack about tilesets. I couldn't even combine them.

Well if I just read about it... I can figure it out. Man, I could write a wikki about NWN according to Danmar. Many of the notes I compiled in notepad made it to the Tileset Developer forum. Then I saw this project called the CTP and I jumped on board.

I have had my moments of apathy toward this project over the past year and a half as I did bug fixes. Most of it was caused by learning how to use 3dsmax while fixing tiles. I have since bought several books and I read! I study the help files and 3d forums. I am getting better at it. The end result was that I could really fix tiles. Not just move a vert or two :D

One person who needs to be honored that was not listed is Banshe. When I started the CTP was just about to die. If Banshe had not picked it up with the help of Pasilli the project would have faded before Christmas of 2004. He built the momentum of the project and got the tileset testing rolling. He recruited one Bannor Bloodfist (one of these days I am going to blow your cover Mr.!) to the project. He left the project in late 2005 and thankfully Bannor took up the flag.

I work better behind the scenes. :rolleyes:

Awesome work CTP Team!

Chandigar

Post by Chandigar »

Ooh, thanks for the note, but I didn't really do much compared to the rest of these guys. Seriously. A lot of people are going to probably open up a set and say "hey, this looks almost exactly the same!"... but trust me, they're not. Unfortunately, people notice bugs and not the lack of them.

Also, I think it should only be prudent that we collectively thank the bosses that turned a blind eye and/or unwittingly paid for the CTP work that was done while AT work. Thanks! I suggest donating your first years profits to your bosses, just to be fair.

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

:eek2: If my bosses ever got a CLUE :_glasse: about what is installed on my PC at work!!

It helps being the Tech Support guy that watches over everyone else. Hardly anyone is looking over my PC...

I can surf the forums, work in 3dsmax, and test sets while taking tech support calls. The modern age of multitasking :_computer So, Shhhhhhh.

I have been doing this for years. :p: