Help wanted...
CTP usage questions should be posted here.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist, Black Rider

Darklight

Help wanted...

Post by Darklight »

Okay, I am compiling some stuff for a huge module I am making.

Waiting for the CTP is not really feasible, so I am using the less polished [ rtc ] tileset compilation.

I have TWO sets of doors here. One, the More Doors by Tiberius (who uses 2das compatible with your CTP Door Pack. The other, the ones [ rtc ] put in.

I know a lot about hak merging, but nothing about tilesets except how to *generally* put them in a hak. Troubleshooting .2da door conflicts is not like creature or placeables -- is it a level of difficulty higher. I am primarily a scripter and designer and only delve into .haks when I want to include some more content.

Is there anyone willing to help me weed out the issues caused here? Or I could use my module as a test ground for CTP stuff, if nobody wants to help me use the interim hacked hak.

Thanks,
Darklight

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

[quote=Darklight]Okay, I am compiling some stuff for a huge module I am making.

Waiting for the CTP is not really feasible, so I am using the less polished [ rtc ] tileset compilation.

I have TWO sets of doors here. One, the More Doors by Tiberius (who uses 2das compatible with your CTP Door Pack. The other, the ones [ rtc ] put in.

I know a lot about hak merging, but nothing about tilesets except how to *generally* put them in a hak. Troubleshooting .2da door conflicts is not like creature or placeables -- is it a level of difficulty higher. I am primarily a scripter and designer and only delve into .haks when I want to include some more content.

Is there anyone willing to help me weed out the issues caused here? Or I could use my module as a test ground for CTP stuff, if nobody wants to help me use the interim hacked hak.

Thanks,
Darklight[/quote]

Just add the Robius doors hak above the other haks, and it will take control. unless you truly believe that there is a door in the rtc hak pak that you really, really need.

Custom / Tileset specific doors are handled seperately from universal doors and should have no conflicts.

Darklight

not wanting to hak forever, want to build

Post by Darklight »

[QUOTE=Bannor Bloodfist]Just add the Robius doors hak above the other haks, and it will take control. unless you truly believe that there is a door in the rtc hak pak that you really, really need.

Custom / Tileset specific doors are handled seperately from universal doors and should have no conflicts.[/QUOTE]

See, I know you mean well here, but I'm leery of door conflicts after dueling with the MGSkaggs desert crypts in an old project...

Has anyone tried this?? I want to spend a minimal amount of time doing .hak work, since my last project died of terminal hak tinkering.

Thanks for the quick reply, though, Bannor. I will try it, but with a random sampling of door tests, not sure if i will get problems down the road, when I'm using the tilesets in detail.

Thanks
Darklight

OldMansBeard

Post by OldMansBeard »

[QUOTE=Darklight]Okay, I am compiling some stuff for a huge module I am making.

Thanks,
Darklight[/QUOTE]

As Bannor has said, if you place the CTP Generic Doors and Tiberius' More Doors haks above the [rtc] haks, then the genericdoors.2da will be okay and you will be able to use all the Bioware+CTP+Tiberius generic doors (about 150 of them altogether). You will also find the CTP & Tiberius door templates in the right places. You may find some [rtc] door templates in your palette as well, if you have imported the [rtc] .erf package, but these will not in general function correctly and you should ignore them.

If there are some doors in the [rtc] package that you particularly want to use in your world and there are really no equivalents in CTP or More Doors, you could add them back. You should create your own version of genericdoors.2da with these extra [rtc] doors renumbered into the unused range 100..150. You then need to edit their [rtc] templates in the ToolSet to set them to the correct Appearance.

That's really all you have to do. Generic doors are relatively easy to organise in this way because they are not linked to tilesets. It's when you try to re-organise tileset-specific doors (which use an entirely separate system with a different 2da) to allow for extra tilesets that problems are likely to occur. But that is not what this posting is about.

Darklight

Aha! Enlightenment, at last!

Post by Darklight »

[QUOTE=OldMansBeard]As Bannor has said, if you place the CTP Generic Doors and Tiberius' More Doors haks above the [rtc] haks, then the genericdoors.2da will be okay and you will be able to use all the Bioware+CTP+Tiberius generic doors (about 150 of them altogether). You will also find the CTP & Tiberius door templates in the right places. You may find some [rtc] door templates in your palette as well, if you have imported the [rtc] .erf package, but these will not in general function correctly and you should ignore them.

If there are some doors in the [rtc] package that you particularly want to use in your world and there are really no equivalents in CTP or More Doors, you could add them back. You should create your own version of genericdoors.2da with these extra [rtc] doors renumbered into the unused range 100..150. You then need to edit their [rtc] templates in the ToolSet to set them to the correct Appearance.

That's really all you have to do. Generic doors are relatively easy to organise in this way because they are not linked to tilesets. It's when you try to re-organise tileset-specific doors (which use an entirely separate system with a different 2da) to allow for extra tilesets that problems are likely to occur. But that is not what this posting is about.[/QUOTE]

Aha, thus exposes my extreme ignorance of doors. (In fact, I have been trapped in this apartment for several months, but nobody will come over and open the door for me... heh j/k)

I was confused, because I thought that tileset-specific doors were the ones that I'd have trouble with... not worried so much about generic ones.

Bannor, I apologize for misunderstanding your perfectly sound advice.

And now, on to adding doors!

Thanks again,
Darklight
The Lurking Archmage

Darklight

Just thought I'd mention this...

Post by Darklight »

So far, these new doors are working great!

And they look superb!

Also, I have the "MoreDoors" patch by Tiberius (sp?) as well, and they work great too!

So, hats off to you all!

If only I could get some CTP tileset stuff... dang this [ rtc ] is crawling with the sparklies and the not-having-minimaps... *sighs* And even a big WHOMP noise (the windows error) when grabbing the cave-waterfall-thing on one tileset...

I hope Chandrigar's new Aztec stuff is going to be in the CTP, I have a Maztican section of the PW, and DANG do I want the Aztec interior, but am not great shakes on tileset combining.

Anyhow.

Darklight

rdx

Post by rdx »

Thanks for the answers OMB and Bannor. All I have to add that few doors after line 142 in RTC are not present in CTP Doors or MoreDoors hak, but they're not that unique.

And that's what is about CTP - no sparklies, no errors like that.

Darklight

Post by Darklight »

[QUOTE=rdx]Thanks for the answers OMB and Bannor. All I have to add that few doors after line 142 in RTC are not present in CTP Doors or MoreDoors hak, but they're not that unique.

And that's what is about CTP - no sparklies, no errors like that.[/QUOTE]

Ah, RDX... you certainly have a lot of energy for development, I like it!
Are you releasing a new [rtc] pack soon?

I need to send you better bug reports instead of being lazy and just building differently!

Darklight