Does size matter?
CTP usage questions should be posted here.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist, Black Rider

Post by Guest »

[QUOTE=Banshe]
The CTP is meant to be an enhancement for NWN, not a whole new game. It should be viewed as such. Use it to enhance your world, not to build it.[/QUOTE]

That's the statement which can't be said enough. Too many times people get hung up on the visual aspect and completely neglect the more difficult portions of module construction. This is most evident in alot of PW environments. They provide plenty of visual eye candy but very little in static questing or tools and scripts for DMs to provide proper events beyond the Fetch or assassinate quests seen all to often during DMed events.

If the builders spend alot more time actually building as opposed to increasing area count and visual displays, the world or module would become that much more immersive.

When I build, I don't build with an eye for visual flair, I like to explore the literary side of the storyline first, gather my thoughts and scripts as necessary and then begin actual area construction.

My typical mod (I build a few each month) can stay as a single microset tile area for several weeks. Quests and such are built right into this one area. I call this the Foyer or the "loading program" area for the module. This allows me to easily test things without having to run several areas just to complete the testing. if you have ideas for a module that you plan to use CTP with, I might suggest you do as I do and setup your basic module in one or two standard areas. You can then easily import this module with the CTP and begin visual construction and layout for this modular idea.

Don't wait, build now. Use CTP to enhance the visual and geographical aspect of your idea, but get those ideas ready for easy importation once the project is released.

Post by Guest »

That's all fine and dandy for some. I invite you, however, to look at the work I've done with Dream-Land (and yes, this is also an ad for my module). Everything I do begins from area design. Before a city is mapped, I don't even begin work with NPCs. Until every single tree of a forest is placed, I don't construct a single orc into it. That's just the way I'm wired.

I'm a visual mind, even though I lack all forms of artistic talent. I can't sit down and write up plot synopses on a piece of paper, but I can look at a tile and realize its purpose within the scope of the story structure. If you ever take a look at my mod, I invite you to consider that idea in the frame of reference to the finished module. The village of Land's Edge all sprang up from a single tile, the character of the Shadow from a single monster model. Heck, the entire module is a showcase of DC_Tiles.

Some people write a story and build a world to accommodate it. I build a world and then spin a story to inhabit it.

Post by Guest »

[QUOTE=Dradjeel]

Some people write a story and build a world to accommodate it. I build a world and then spin a story to inhabit it.[/QUOTE]

You're not alone in that feeling, that's for sure. I'm just a PnP type of guy who will draw out areas before even opening areas in aurora. It's just my nature to write the module before I build it.

Banshe

Post by Banshe »

Count me in too. I prefer to make the areas first as well..

But in this case, you choices are clear and unavoidable. The CTP is not ready so if you plan on using it, you should plan on waiting for it.

Why not make "placeholder" areas? That is certainly a way to work in a visual mindset. That way you can see the areas that you inhabit the story with. When the CTP arrives, just remake the areas.

However, I think we are also reaching the point here where you will have to make your own decision on this. You will have to lead your own destiny. If waiting for the CTP cannot be done by you, if you cannot adjust your workflow to accomodate the wait and if the CTP is required by you right now:

Then the answer is simple. The CTP is not for you. I think you will have to look elsewhere for what you seek.

You would not buy a car without an engine, a plane without wings, a dog without legs... And we wouldn't try to sell you any of these things. We want to give you a dog that plays "fetch" without crawling on its belly. Which means we have to grow the dog's legs first. It's a special process that cannot be done at home. You need a laboratory and everything.

Post by Guest »

As far as analogies go, your dog takes the prize from Douglas Adams' "they hung in the air in precisely the same way as bricks don't." Your conclusions are valid and accepted. Ergo, I wish you good luck in your endeavours and take my... leave.

Also, just remake the areas? This is a ludicrous proposition. It's like asking Michelangelo to paint a latrine while the Sistine Chapel was being built. "Oh, when we're done, just remake that fresco thingy."

Well, anyway, the point is moot as I decided to scrap the project instead. I've not the energy to fabricate or assemble the masses of custom content I need to make anything. Funny, really, I expected erasing my own work to feel worse.

Banshe

Post by Banshe »

[QUOTE=Dradjeel]As far as analogies go, your dog takes the prize from Douglas Adams' "they hung in the air in precisely the same way as bricks don't." Your conclusions are valid and accepted. Ergo, I wish you good luck in your endeavours and take my... leave.

Also, just remake the areas? This is a ludicrous proposition. It's like asking Michelangelo to paint a latrine while the Sistine Chapel was being built. "Oh, when we're done, just remake that fresco thingy."

Well, anyway, the point is moot as I decided to scrap the project instead. I've not the energy to fabricate or assemble the masses of custom content I need to make anything. Funny, really, I expected erasing my own work to feel worse.[/QUOTE]

It seems that is the only solution possible.

As for analogies, your latrine far outshines my dog... ;)

Lastly, never erase your work. Tomorrow, one week from now, one month from now, one year from now, ten years from now: you may all of a sudden get very excited about it again.

If you insist on removing it, give it away instead to someone who can continue to carry the torch.

Post by Guest »

What?!?! Whore out my work to some no-talent hacks to have their way with? Never!!

:lol:

Post by Guest »

[QUOTE=Banshe]

Why not make "placeholder" areas? That is certainly a way to work in a visual mindset. That way you can see the areas that you inhabit the story with. When the CTP arrives, just remake the areas. [/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I am doing. Well sort of.

I've got several modules that have areas which didn't seem visually right when they were put together given the limited tilesets available at the time. I plan on revisiting some of these modules and removing some of those areas and replacing them with CTP Tileset areas. I've already begun redoing some with tilesets now available at the vault.

My current project started a few weeks ago is a remake of a Alignment Team PvP Module planned for our May 7th gaming session. This module which has 12 areas is an underground based campaign. It's a race against good and evil. Evil serves the Evil Lord Van Tesh and good serves Duke Perrimone. An Epic Level Team PvP module for 6-16 players. Originally, this module was made before SOU was released and only used standard tilesets. I am remaking this using the C.R.A.P. Dungeon Tileset Package. Those areas which didn't work visually exactly as I imagined can now have the gloom and doom appearance I need.

After remaking a few module I see now why some movie directors or studios revisit movies years after they've left the market. I also now understand why George Lucas made the decisions he made in re-tooling the original Star Wars Trilogy. while I may not agree with some of those decisions, after redoing a few of my own storylines because of newer technology(tilesets and scripting functions) I can definitely see the advantage of doing so.

I look forward to revisiting quite a few of my modules once the CTP is released. :_thumb:

Darklight

Post by Darklight »

[QUOTE=Rich of forumite]You're not alone in that feeling, that's for sure. I'm just a PnP type of guy who will draw out areas before even opening areas in aurora. It's just my nature to write the module before I build it.[/QUOTE]

Ditto here, but that is because I am an old-school DM who hangs maps of Faerun and Waterdeep on his walls when gaming... The flow of history is shaped by the bones of the earth -- the world makes the cultures, rarely vice versa... :)

Post by Guest »

Whoah, the voice of the past ME! How cynical I was back then, and how bizarre my analogies...