What is your vision of a PW? or Module?
chaos_theocrat

Post by chaos_theocrat »

While talking about our ideas for the perfect Persistent World or Module, I am reminded of some classic moments that seemed totally perfect to me, as a player, in certain modules I played over the years. Here is a good list of some of them. I'd be interested in hearing other players' experiences as well, since this game (Nwn) has such a rich history for so many people. ;)

Battle of Gettysburg, by Ron Drake
Hundreds of soldiers fighting with spells, magic, and steel in the American Civil War for three game days. Despite the fantasy elements, it felt... real.
That is, until Abraham Lincoln appeared as a *Gnome* to give his speech!
Dweller in the Darkness, by Chris Huntoon
The moment that made this module spectacular was discovering the true nature of the monster that was doing the killings. Creepy and suspenseful.
In the fiend's lair, I felt like it could be waiting around the corner for me.
Good vs Evil 2, by John 'Gestalt' Bye
I built up this huge army of soldiers and was trying to break into a fort in this war simulation, when the entire enemy army actually outflanked me.
This surprised me, and was a tribute to a truly advanced A.I. in the game.
Haunted, by YeeHoo
In the beginning of this module, you have to follow ghostly children while they disappear into the woods near a haunted castle. A classic moment.
Certain monsters and moments in this module reminded me of Castlevania.
Lilith, by Erik jackman
I never laughed so hard as when the big revelation came in this module that the PC was supposed to be God. The comedy in this mod was superb, especially the utter incompetence of the angels in their search for Lilith.
Shadow Over Innsmouth, by screeg
For an older Nwn module, this one did a fair job of evoking the feeling of the 1930's in which the tale took place. In that, it was groundbreaking.
As a fan of H.P. Lovecraft, I was pleased to see this story adapted well.
Spires of Ravenloft, by JironGhrad / evan.yeung / Raven Builder
Having fought through the countryside of Barovia and Strahd's labyrinthian castle I faced the vampire in his crypt and realized I was in over my head.
My party's thief was dead, Stahd's coffin was trapped; we were doomed.
Some Distant Shore, by Chris Huntoon
This module made me think. It portrayed the PC not as the unstoppable savior, but as a hero coming to terms with being mortal and even dying.
In surprisingly moving ways, it showed that some battles cannot be won.
The Picture in the House, by YeeHoo
If I could compare this module to anything I'd have to call it a dark cross between Evil Dead and Hannibal. Though human, it's villain was a totally irredeemably wicked monster that my Paladin was *very* pleased to slay.
Tales of Celts, by Rome
My fondest memory from this module was finding a secret passage under a bridge that took me to the Realm of Faerie. It was a mythical experience.
Especially, the part where the trees began to move and turn into dryads!
Tomb of Horrors, by Ghool
While searching for the keys to the crypt of a powerful lich, I got lost in a section with color-coded doors that each led to deadly traps and puzzles.
Never before had I encoutered a dungeon with such lethal cunning as this.
The Elven Book of Life and Death, by JP Setlak
I played through this entire module and only upon reaching it's end did I realize that my PC was dead and this was the afterlife. A very clever idea.
There were actually two ways to play through the module, both different.
The Raven, by YeeHoo
When the Raven broke into the house and stole the PC's soul, and I had to chase it through a dark land filled with several symbolic encounters and surreal choices of color. It truly fit the famous poem by Poe, in every way.
Zemoris Quests, by Steve Goodwin
After finding a ruined city full of medusae, I went through a land of giants, plains filled with bugbears, an abandoned town, and a minotaur's labyrinth.
In the whole labyrinth there was one minotaur, who stalked and killed me.

That's about fourteen, so I think I'll sign off for now. It's fun to talk about those good times... few games exist, that have such diverse experiences. And even fewer make it just as fun to lose (sometimes) as it is to win. :)