What is your vision of a PW? or Module?
Christopher
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

What is your vision of a PW? or Module?

Post by Christopher »

I got into the CTP project because I had already dabbled in much of the other CC content and I saw CEP was on the way. I didn't understand how tilesets worked and their were not to many available that I liked in 2004. What does this have to do with PW?

I had always had a vision of building a PW hub like a town that players would start from and go out to other modules. I have always known I did not have the time to make a PW and keep it growing. But if I had a stable system and I could save the characters rewards in a DB then I could adapt others modules to be chapters in that adventure.

This is not a QA on "how to" or why my idea will or will not work. I am not that concerned and I may never get to it. In many ways my love of NWN has mostly been about the journey and what I have done to help custom content along the way.

I have seen many folks join and leave the CTP. I myslef took a year off and did other things with other games. I am back and plugging away at tilesets. I have seen many of these travelers with interestes in PW. Bannor Bloodfist, Mask, Banshe, KirkyEF, Estelindis and so many others.

As we find ourselves at the end of the 'Official Bioware support' and so many new options that have been added over the last few patches... Think of the GIGs of CC on the Vault and the thousands of scripts and modules...

What is your vision of a PW? :dreaming: Or even a fun Module? Share your passion of NWN!

Post by Guest »

Hmm..
I apologize if it seems like I'm "butting in" on your forums, but I'm a big fan.

My vision of a PW is my current project, the Forgotten Realms Module Project.

http://nwn.bioware.com/guilds_regist...html?gid=15731

It will be a community module project, meaning built by anyone.
It will tie together the major CCC projects, such as this one ;)
It will be a series of interconnected modules covering all of Faerun, in a SP/MP/DM/PW friendly format.
It will be well documented.

And hopefully, it will be a blast to play.

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Thank you Gonzo_og :thumb: This is a public posting area which is why i put it here. This area is for everyone!

more! more! more! Post away folks :p

KirbyEF

Post by KirbyEF »

Of course Fraxis is a big world to explore (in development) and still growing... Of course, I'd recommend you stop by

KirbyEF

http://fraxis.ufrealms.net/

Mecheon

Post by Mecheon »

I'd just like a PW that I was involved in the making of. I have too many ideas for interesting areas, and not enough convincing PW makers to let me on teams for adding them in. Or not enough finding PW teams that are looking for ideas people, which ever one works

Perhaps its for the better, what with my reckless use of custom content and all:angel:

Banshe

Post by Banshe »

I always wanted a world without borders (open ended) without artificial blocks like the "trees" terrain or the "raised" terrain. I suppose you could best describe it as Oblivion but with area transitions. I should note that I did not like Oblivion and had this idea before it came out so consider that as an example rather than an actual goal. ;)

Post by Guest »

I have long held ideas on what I'd love in a PW. Thanks for the opportunity to share them.

One of those ideas I've yet to see anywhere is allowing, indeed promoting, the use of the 'world' as a stage for DMs to place their small-group adventure party modules, without the need for building a whole new version of an established place.
Yes, I realize DMs can lead groups around and RP on PWs already, but those are restricted to the DMs of that PW, and the players.
I want a canvas, a PW, that says, "Hey, our world of Hillsfar and its environs is all set. We have a pretty decent base of players, but if you (DM) want to schedule a time for your group, get with us. We are happy to have you DM your adventure with your friends playing, using our PW. Here's a rule sheet on accepted behavior (ie no PKilling of other PW players, etc.). Bring your party, and have fun!"

I want a PW that sets aside some rooms, unconnected by normal transitions, to be decorated on the fly by a DM, and used as areas in their personal modules, while still using the PW.
A series of four or five dungeon rooms, blank, can be decorated and set up for personal use. A few outdoor areas, etc. With our new scripting commands, names, descriptions, almost EVERYTHING can be modified to personalize an area for a specific DM/adventure.

As for some specifics about a PW. On a personal level, I prefer some of my own systems.
My death system works like this:
You fall to 0 hp and become disabled. You fall from -1 through -9 and are dying. At -10 you die. When you die, your body falls there, with all your stuff. Your spirt goes to Limbo to wait an amount of time based on your level and a random roll. You can access your Death Timer to see how much time remains before you will Re-Born. Once the timer is expired, you re-born at whatever location you've set as your Born Room earlier. If you failed to set a Born Room, a default one will have been set for you. Some rooms are designated as Born Rooms, and a message is sent to you upon entering such an area.
Your original body lays there where you died, with all your things. You are re-born naked and at 1 hp. Anyone happening by can do the following to your corpse:
Loot it of everything. Pick it up and carry it. Cast ressurection or raise dead, provided you have not re-borned already. If your body lays there long enough, it decays, and all your things lay there on the spot. Eventually, those will also decay, taking a long time and based on what they are made of.

Borderless worlds are nice, for certain. But a tad hard to do on a small scale. The illusion of a borderless world is not too hard though, using scripts on triggers and such. For example, you can have an oceadside area, with water where you can walk out a ways. Upon entering a trigger out there, you get a message like "The ocean stretches out for endless leagues with no land in sight, and you turn back toward shore."
You can also have a trigger warning "It is dangerous to go further, as the ground drop swiftly." Then if the PC continues out, transition to an 'underwater' area, switch pheno to the 'flying' pheno, start a drowning script (Lord of Worms' undersea area is JUST FRIGGIN' AWESOME for this, believe me) and have the PC 'sink beneath the waves'.

Heh, sorry. I could go on and on with my ideas of a PW. Last though is I wish there was a way to script a Movement Points system, believe it or not. It would work like MP on a MUD, wherein based on CON and level (and modified by countless things such as terrain, weather, etc.) you have a set number of Movement Points. When your MP runs down, you are slowed and can barely move about. Resting or just waiting lets your MP fill back up.
Why do I want such a system, you may ask? Because it gives so much meaning to travel and opens up so much for tactical consideration. If you have 200 MP and want to run overland to a destination, you might have to rest and regain MP several times before arriving. If, on the other hand, you have a horse, which has 1000 MP, you can gallop there quickly. Or, you can jump into a coach and ride there too, again, quicker than on foot. It gives meaning to movement, terrain, time, and systems like horses and coaches.

Okay, okay, okay. Enough, right?

regards,
JFK

KirbyEF

Post by KirbyEF »

Frith,

Fraxis: Open areas with free borders (mountains and oceans), bleeding, bindstone respawn system, weather (rain), movement penalties for armor, horse (upgrading to 1.69 horses soon) and other of the features you mentioned. Of course we are still in development, mind you, but we are growing (600+ areas so far).

KirbyEF

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I am taking notes. I have been collecting scripts for years and updating them as Author's came out with new versions. A few prepackaged PW exist as far as scripts go. Not sure if anyone has put out a full PW when it was retired.

Skunkeen

Post by Skunkeen »

ive been a acomplished DM for NWN1 before getting the NWC grand hall of fame DM award. im at a point now with NWN1 I want it to be new to me again and build locations within the Forgotten Realms that cant be done with CEP alone. I hope to someday claim to game every published Forgotten Realms module with NWN or with my table top group. I have built areas for a couple PW's and regret never submiting my work to the vualt to become a acomplish builder as well.

ive always been appealed to doing at sea adventures but visualy with tilesets, creatures & scripts wise there has been alot of limitaitions to do that. now I have the scripting part taken care of theres a need I have for custom content to make things look a whole lot better at sea.

more at sea ships and a few more planked ships together. a walkable water area with a walk mesh up along the sides of ships so giant creatures can attack players from the water (think kracken tenticles or mermaids and dolphins following a ship or Shaugiun attacking and climbing onboard but closer to the ship then what can already be done with a area just from adjusting the CEP water position)

and also so other ships set as creatures can visualy aproch thus loading up a combat encounter area or give the players time to use on ship cannons or magic to stop the aproching ship.

tileset ships without sails so they can be replaced by animated placeable sails that would add to the visual effect of changing direction.

ive taken up working on the Sea of Fallen Stars. its a project that many have attempted before and failed due to the lack of content able to do this. I have alot of learning to do building custom content. I dont want to depend on anyone to build it for me. would be great if there was such a tileset in the works, but I hope to learn how too with the help of CTP standards reading through your forums and what other helpful info I may find. my only other current project besides doing DM events a little more less this year is building a DM series of video Lessons on how to become a powerful NWN1 dungeon master for youtube & the NWN vualt and working alot more in the toolset

Admin Edit: Discuss more on this at the Table Talk Forum as this thread could get off-topic. This warrants further discussion as you have some good idea's :icon_idea: