Tilesets?
This is an area for community members to show their custom content work and/or projects or ask for feedback.
Sharona Curves

Post by Sharona Curves »

that is a great tileset lord rosenkrantz.

very good for both land and swampy based tiles. the developers kit is extremely helpful in determining what is what. the tileset is extremely dark and can be difficult to work with especially when using walkable water and non-walkable. the dev kit makes it simple. a great tileset but as i said in my comments there, a few more platform buildings would have been cool.

lord rosenkrantz
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by lord rosenkrantz »

I think I still have plans to expand that tileset, it's just the time that I lack, these days. I am also tempted (but it's obviously unlikely, for the above reason) to remake the swamps from scratch (saving what's good in it): the reason is that the original models that I built on for that tileset were not of my own creation, and no matter how much you modify them, they are never as flexible and good as you'd want them to be. At the time I made that tileset, I didn't have the same skills and the same deep approach to tile pre-design that I have now, nor I had created for myself the specific procedures I follow like it was my personal bible when I now make new tiles.
In final words: I am really tempted to remake the tileset from scratch, I am positive I could do a far better work creating all materials anew. Maybe it'll happen, it depends on how long the rocky mountains will keep me busy for

s030363l
ctp: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by s030363l »

[QUOTE=lord rosenkrantz;34142]I think I still have plans to expand that tileset, it's just the time that I lack, these days. I am also tempted (but it's obviously unlikely, for the above reason) to remake the swamps from scratch (saving what's good in it): the reason is that the original models that I built on for that tileset were not of my own creation, and no matter how much you modify them, they are never as flexible and good as you'd want them to be. At the time I made that tileset, I didn't have the same skills and the same deep approach to tile pre-design that I have now, nor I had created for myself the specific procedures I follow like it was my personal bible when I now make new tiles.
In final words: I am really tempted to remake the tileset from scratch, I am positive I could do a far better work creating all materials anew. Maybe it'll happen, it depends on how long the rocky mountains will keep me busy for[/QUOTE]

Time is always the key element. Maybe once I finish with the work I have started with Chandigar I could help out with this and if we ask Chandigar real nice he might assist also but I can't speak for him. I beleive he really loves building tiles but he is often very busy too. It may go alot faster with several peolpe working together with not everybody having to dedicate massive amounts of time. Together we could get a real organization going just a thought thou don't want to butt in if you enjoy working stuff alone. This early work of yours is very nice and we probably could expand on it greatly and not have to do a total rebuild. (big time saver)

lord rosenkrantz

[quote=s030363l] This early work of yours is very nice and we probably could expand on it greatly and not have to do a total rebuild. (big time saver)[/quote]
I am not that sure that fixing and editing previous material would really be a time saver. In my personal experience I find much quicker to work on meshes I created myself, for the simple reason that I know where each vertex is placed and why, and so for meshes too. I also use a clear-as-crystal naming convention, which allows me for easy mass editing across different tiles. But above all, before opening 3dsmax to create the tiles, I invest time into pre-designing the tiles' features in detail, trying to figure out any issue that could come up at a later stage. That way, I save much more time than what I had to invest initially, because everything progresses smoothly.
On the other hand, I recall as a nightmare when I was fixing the Brick Interiors for the CTP release. I was just overwhelmed by the amount of issues, and it's frustrating when one has to compromise because tasks can't take forever. Surely at that time my skills were way worse than now, but I had a similar experience with the city exterior tileset that I was reworking recently, before putting it on hold to work on the rocky mountains. I am fairly sure that I can do a faster and higher-quality work if I remake the city exterior tiles instead of fixing them O:)

Anyway, as you mentioned, let us all be done with our current work, and then we can have a talk about the next tasks, hehe

s030363l

Post by s030363l »

[QUOTE=lord rosenkrantz;34212]I am not that sure that fixing and editing previous material would really be a time saver. In my personal experience I find much quicker to work on meshes I created myself, for the simple reason that I know where each vertex is placed and why, and so for meshes too. I also use a clear-as-crystal naming convention, which allows me for easy mass editing across different tiles. But above all, before opening 3dsmax to create the tiles, I invest time into pre-designing the tiles' features in detail, trying to figure out any issue that could come up at a later stage. That way, I save much more time than what I had to invest initially, because everything progresses smoothly.
On the other hand, I recall as a nightmare when I was fixing the Brick Interiors for the CTP release. I was just overwhelmed by the amount of issues, and it's frustrating when one has to compromise because tasks can't take forever. Surely at that time my skills were way worse than now, but I had a similar experience with the city exterior tileset that I was reworking recently, before putting it on hold to work on the rocky mountains. I am fairly sure that I can do a faster and higher-quality work if I remake the city exterior tiles instead of fixing them O:)

Anyway, as you mentioned, let us all be done with our current work, and then we can have a talk about the next tasks, hehe[/QUOTE]

Like I said I am not trying to offend anybody and their work but I am not even close to the caliber you and Chandigar are and to me fixing is easier then building at this point.

I am only learning what I can so one day I may be able to start from scratch and it will be that easy but good luck on all your endeavors and it is just food for thought keep in touch.

lord rosenkrantz

[quote=s030363l]Like I said I am not trying to offend anybody and their work but I am not even close to the caliber you and Chandigar are and to me fixing is easier then building at this point.

I am only learning what I can so one day I may be able to start from scratch and it will be that easy but good luck on all your endeavors and it is just food for thought keep in touch.[/quote]

I really hope that what I said didn't come up the wrong way. By no means what you said sounds even a little bit offensive. And even if it could sound offensive (but personally I can't get how it could), I am not a person that takes offense at all ^_^

I just meant to point out that building meshes by yourself is way easier than what is usually believed, especially if you have the skills to fix bugged material someone else made. It is only a matter of knowing how to do things using 3dsmax tools. I had to learn the hard way, which meant it took way longer than it would have if i had had somebody to teach me (or if I were less lazy than I am and found myself some good tutorial)

At the moment I am rather busy with school (I teach philosophy) and with working on the rocky mountains, but if I can find the time, I can give you details of the approach I take and of the many little procedures and tricks I use. It could help to shorten the time otherwise required to discover the many sides of building tiles

But believe me, once you start building your own stuff, not only you'll find it easier than fixing tiles, but also way more rewarding, and instead of getting frustrated because once you fix a bug there seem to be always another one that pops up, you'll get pleased and receive a positive vibe when things are going the way you want them to go

s030363l

Post by s030363l »

[QUOTE=lord rosenkrantz;34260]I really hope that what I said didn't come up the wrong way. By no means what you said sounds even a little bit offensive. And even if it could sound offensive (but personally I can't get how it could), I am not a person that takes offense at all ^_^[/QUOTE]

Sorry I probably wrote that the wrong way. Some people just chose to build on there own and I did want to seem like I was pushing you. I always appreciate any tips that anyone is willing to give and your right sometimes fixes do irrate the heck out of you. Well good luck with your project I will be keeping an eye out on the progress. My wife was a teacher and I know the extra time she had to put in her job so take care and don't burn out on it.

Hmm In regrades to tilesets

Post by Guest »

Prehaps some of the following,

Underwater city set

Arabic city set ( One of these released but it is not finished)

Asain Themed settings I live in japan and some of the best sites i go see are the temples for example the Goddess of Mercy temple is a building in the form of a statue, ( there is a very nice asian themed set released BTW i would just like to see a bit more development on these fronts,

Notes on settings in general:
Pictures are worth a thousand words

[IMG]http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o13/ ... inwork.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o13/ ... cs/MW3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o13/ ... icture.jpg[/IMG]

I only tinker with Models and tile sets My abilities are lacking to say the least so i posted these links to give you other builders a lil something to think on..
Well i hope i inspired you and Thank you for your Time
V/R Moorefallen