New mountains tileset
This is an area for community members to show their custom content work and/or projects or ask for feedback.
lord rosenkrantz
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by lord rosenkrantz »

I won't be making castles, there are already some excellent ones out there, since DLA released their TNO tilesets for WCoC. Originally I didn't plan to add any material from other authors, but if I don't, in about a week someone else would add them in my stead, so it's better I do it myself and merge them properly into my material. Furthermore, as you point out, castles and mountains get along very well, and it'd be a popular request coming from the users. Which any author, although their work is their own work and nobody elses's, should keep into account.

So, although the PW I am originally building the tileset for won't likely feature any castles on top of a mountain, TNO castles will be included since the first release :)

Xaltu

Post by Xaltu »

Just been thinking about the roof, maybe slate / stone, tin or Skins would be appropriate. This tileset set just gets better and better looking. Keep up the good work. :D

Tristan Kalaman

Post by Tristan Kalaman »

Chand spoke better to it, I was thinking along the same lines in regards to the stove pipe.

My observation was/is, where do the builders get the wood and metal? Usually structures are made out of the most available resources around.

I would suspect that in a mountainous region with few trees most buildings and interior furnishings would be of stone, slate or thatched roofs would be prevalent, especially if there are long grasses available in the area.

The huts look great though, since this is fantasy I can suspend my disbelief on how they managed to get built. O:)

/Tristan.

lord rosenkrantz

Uhm, metals from mines on the mountain side? And trees from the nearby forests of firs? We are just above the timber line, after all <_<

And however, the tileset isn't done yet, there'll be trees and vegetation. So on one hand, all materials will be made available in the environment, and on the other hand, patience guys, there'll also be different buildings, the screenshots are just a very limited preview of the final range ^_^

Xaltu

Post by Xaltu »

on a technical point I wouldn't expect Thatch in a mountainous region due to the shear volume of material need to thatch a roof so that it is watertight. Mountainous grasses are not best suited for this activity. Bracken is however another possibility.

Post by Guest »

Looks good. Just a thought, but would it be possible to make it so that the castle could go up to and combine whith the cliffside? I'm not sure of the dificulty that would cause to do but thought I should atleast ask. It would alow the more realistic look of castles using the cliffside as a wall for their castle. Also, is the castle a tile type alowing creation of your own castle layout or a group of tiles that always end up together? If if is the first type, are there buildings that can per placed inside the castle wall that match the castle? The screanshots do look good however and I look forward to its release.

Owrtho

lord rosenkrantz

Hehe, I see not everybody know the magnificient TNO exterior tileset released by DLA. I'll likely end up having bought Wyvern Crown of Cormyr just for the tilesets, as I can't seem to be able digging up time to play the adventure.

Castles are painted as terrains and crossers, so you can shape them following your needs and fashion. The screenshots I have posted were taken from a specific test area I quickly and roughly built in the toolset, but builders can obviously create more complex scenarios.

I am about to build the required tiles to join castles and mountain side, so that the integration will be complete.

Sherincall

Post by Sherincall »

Those fit real well. I like it. A lot.
Are you gonna add other features from TNO or just the terrains and crossers.

And most important: When do we get a newer version to play with?

lord rosenkrantz

[quote=Sherincall;39078]Those fit real well. I like it. A lot.
Are you gonna add other features from TNO or just the terrains and crossers.[/quote]

Currently I have also added three huge towers featured in TNO, plus the terrain/crosser-related features (gates, stairs etc). I wouln't want to overdo it, ending up with a duplicate of TNO in a new environment, so the many features/groups available won't generally be imported, unless really necessary or required.
The plan is to release a stable version first, and then step by step to keep expanding it, adding for instance more material from TNO, given the limitations above.

[quote]And most important: When do we get a newer version to play with?[/quote]Wednesday seems the most likely option, I doubt that in what's left of the day I'll be able to refine and pack the material (tomorrow I am busy with work the whole day)