CVS or Project Mangement and Versioning
Many tools have been made by community members or 3ds plug-ins made available on the net. Reference to those can be found here and how to use them.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

Primogenitor

Post by Primogenitor »

I hate it when I see things like this happen to a project. CEP had a similar panic too, when Doormans house burnt down in RL and much of CEP2 went with it :(

If one thing is learnt by anyone in the NWN community for NWN2 (or whatever other communities people move onto), use shared storage on an independant mirrored server, as well as local copies of all data by all members, and keep it up to date. For the PRC, CVS has been an invaluable tool, yet still work has been lost when people didnt use it.[/rant]

Anyway, good to have you back :D Now hurry up and get on with it! ;)

Christopher
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Christopher »

Coincidently I have been working on getting CVSNT running for our group. I have been busy of late, but I cannot argue your reasoning!
[CENTER]:_thumb:
[LEFT]I have to get back that reading the tech manuels on it. Uggg! I am a windows man so... I have to live with the weight of microsoft. Sigh.

P.S. Sorry to disapoint you hard core Linux fans. I know I am going to burn in MS hell for this one.
[CENTER]:z_devil2:
[/CENTER]
[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

Grov

Post by Grov »

[QUOTE=Primogenitor]I use shared storage on an independant mirrored server, as well as local copies of all data by all members, and keep it up to date. For the PRC, CVS has been an invaluable tool, yet still work has been lost when people didnt use it.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Anything you can share with us on this subject?
Links, good programs etc bla bla ?

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

CVS and CVS NT can be found here:

CVS

P.S. I moved this thread into developers corner as it actually fits better here.

Christopher

For anyone who is interested...

Post by Christopher »

This is what I put up on our private forums...

I wrestled with CVSNT which was CVS originaly designed for a Unix/Linx env. They have ported a copy over to run on windows. I spent about two hours messing with the CVSNT Server and Tortoise client. The help file unsurprising was not user friendly (Bannor spent some time on it as well.)

Such time as I wasted yesterday has taught me that I cannot cowboy tech my way through this one. Enter the following sites

CVNST Wiki
Dev Guy Server Install Instructions

It's not to late to learn. I Will try and find some time today and tomorrow to get it up and running and write up a simple workflow.

The more I read up on in the more I like it. :_thumb:

Primogenitor

Post by Primogenitor »

See, I told you it was a good idea :) The PRC uses mainly Tortoise CVS with the actual repository stored on berlios.de Sourceforge.org also has CVS space avaliable for free IIRC.

It works very well for the PRC because most of the stuff we store is text, so it only has to track the changes in the text rather than a snapshot of each file. With the CTP, it may be better to store the models in ascii format rather than compiled form.

Tiberius_Morguhn

Post by Tiberius_Morguhn »

I can assist with the CVS server setup. Setting it up using the :pserver: option can have you up and running in minutes with shared password access. Unfortunately, I would have to brush up on setting it up on Windows. I run two CVS server trees for projects here at work that are shared between India, California and Georgia, but they are Linux based. CVS would be of great help for the 2da files and the MDL files (in text format) but binary checkins (like TGA or DDS) would be a bear since you can't do diffs on those, just check them in to back them up.

Also this is a great CVS GUI for Windows that I personally use to interface with the Linux repository:

http://www.wincvs.org/

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

As stated, I am not a Linux guy. I have many geek credentials, but it's just not a road I have gone down. It literally took me some weeks on/off to figure out how to get CVSNT running. I am happy to say the team has been using it for the last month working with Dwarven Halls (nearly done).

I decided to use the version changes for .set & .2da's. Nearly everything else I kept as binary. I just didn't see us taking the time to decide line conflicts in .mdl files :crazy:

One of the BIG advantages is that we ask bug fixers (myslelf included) to update the project files as we make corrections. Nothing is lost this way. No missing members for weeks on end and the loss of their work (it's happened, believe me).

I an running is all off of a win2003 server and so far it's gone really well. Thanks for the offer! I have not pulled together a webclient app for people to see changes or look up files yet. Not sure if I will get to that yet.

I will def. continue working this way with all future team projects. We do not yet know the future of the CTP and NWN2 yet...