Tiles in a tileset listed as a text file
Many tools have been made by community members or 3ds plug-ins made available on the net. Reference to those can be found here and how to use them.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

Sharona Curves

Post by Sharona Curves »

Cool! but how do i find the folder i extracted the CaveRuins tileset to?

it is in c:CTP_CaveRuins but the dos box shows me in the C:documents and setting/sharon folder. i ran the command and it said file can not be found. i assume i need to be in the folder where the files are?

Sharona Curves

Post by Sharona Curves »

nevermind. i googled dos commands and found what i needed.

Sharona Curves

Post by Sharona Curves »

no .mdl files in the ctpr_dungeon tileset? is that because its a reskin and the .mdl files are located somewhere in the bio-code? how could i get a listing of them?

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

[quote=Sharona Curves;8179]no .mdl files in the ctpr_dungeon tileset? is that because its a reskin and the .mdl files are located somewhere in the bio-code? how could i get a listing of them?[/quote]

No mdl files in a reskin is correct. At least in a basic reskin which is what the CTPR sets are. They only replace the textures themselves.

The CTPR Dungeon set is just new textures assigned to the base Bioware Dungeon.

You can view the .set file for that via NWNExplorer, open the info folder for NWN:Hotu Patch Data and look for tde01.set, that is the set file name for the original dungeon set. NWNExplorer will export that file for you as a txt file readable in notepad or whatever.

The actual mdls used are located in NWN Main Data\Data\Aurora_tde.bif \ models.

Sharona Curves

Post by Sharona Curves »

i have a couple questions now:

would an info list such as the tile names used in a tileset hak be useful to custom content builders? i realize you can view those using the set editor but could having them on a piece of paper be useful?

would it be a waste of time and space for me to include such information in a reference guide to CTP tileset documentation?

OldMansBeard

Post by OldMansBeard »

[QUOTE=Sharona Curves;8182]i have a couple questions now:

would an info list such as the tile names used in a tileset hak be useful to custom content builders? i realize you can view those using the set editor but could having them on a piece of paper be useful?

would it be a waste of time and space for me to include such information in a reference guide to CTP tileset documentation?[/QUOTE]

Tile names themselves are not very useful to builders, I think, since they can't do anything with them directly. They are useful to us as tileset testers and fixers of course but we know where to get them from the hak or the .set if we need them and we have cunning ways of using them in-game during testing.

So if you are doing documentation for users (i.e module builders) I would be inclined not to go down to that level of detail.

Ask yourself: how much tile-by-tile documentation is there for Bioware tilesets ? (Almost none). Does this stop people using them to build modules ? (No). Has anyone in the community gone to the trouble of writing detailed documentation for them ? (Not as far as I know). That's a fair indication that no-one needs it.

So I'm personally doubtful but, as I posted before, if you do want to do it we can extract the information fairly simply. You don't have to type thousands of tile names yourself !

lord rosenkrantz
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by lord rosenkrantz »

Previous post of mine likely got lost in the flow of replies, so I am reposting it here to offer my opinion on the last questions you are asking, Sharona.

[QUOTE=lord rosenkrantz;8161]I really find hard to imagine how anybody would find interesting to read a list that reads like ttf01_g02_03, tcn01_a04_01, ttd01_b07_01 and so on. I have the impression you assume that tileset files would be more like a description of the tiles instead than a list of meaningless numbers and letters. I doubt even CC creators would find such a list useful, as anyway they can find the same infos by reading the .set or itp files when working on them. Fact is, tile names are meaningful only for the game engine in fact, they carry informations only for tileset designers, surely not for any module builder.
On the other hand, infos about what terrains and crossers, and even more what feature and groups are included, could be useful to some people.
[/QUOTE]

Sharona Curves

Post by Sharona Curves »

points well taken. this type of input is exactly what i was looking for. i do not work with tilesets beyond the front end aspect of them(ie. building with them) so i was wondering if the info would be useful. from the opinions i would guess they would not be of much use. i am glad i asked. thank you very much for all the responses. however if someone would find this information useful i do have all the tiles names from the CTP release 1. :)

just ask and i will provide them.