Dynamic tile height/placement?
Discuss ideas for tiles or tilesets for the ambitious. Community requests here (no guarantee anyone will build it) and show your WIPs.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

Aedrielle

Dynamic tile height/placement?

Post by Aedrielle »

Since v1.66 we have:

"An option to change/increase the selector height (when placing tiles) in the tileset "set" file. In order to use this you must add a new setting called "SelectorHeight" to the set file and specify the desired float value for this setting. The selector height will continue to default to the transition height if it has not been specified."

Does it mean I can throw out 2/3 of rocky Mountains tiles and use the 'base' ones with different selector heights set in .SET ? Or define a house tile more than once with different 'height selector' to be able to place it on all levels? Or am I miss-reading it entirely?

Has anyone here actually used this feature?

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

Aedrielle wrote:Since v1.66 we have:

"An option to change/increase the selector height (when placing tiles) in the tileset "set" file. In order to use this you must add a new setting called "SelectorHeight" to the set file and specify the desired float value for this setting. The selector height will continue to default to the transition height if it has not been specified."

Does it mean I can throw out 2/3 of rocky Mountains tiles and use the 'base' ones with different selector heights set in .SET ? Or define a house tile more than once with different 'height selector' to be able to place it on all levels? Or am I miss-reading it entirely?

Has anyone here actually used this feature?
ALL this gives you is in the toolset, it changes where the green box is located that lets you pick on a tile, place a tile.

It does NOT change any tile heights or actually affect the physical tiles themselves.

And we need this feature in at least one of our sets, probably more than one.

Say you have a raised platform (Our elf city does), with a pit below it. Without this new feature added in 1.66, when you went to paint a tile, you couldn't tell where the cursor was since the green selection box was below ground level, or at least below the tops of the surrounding buildings.

Aedrielle

Post by Aedrielle »

Thanks!
No I understand. The same happens with city alleys and I'm glad it may be easily corrected.
(At least it is a very usable feature, though not as good as I thought it to be.)